Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

I've seen some videos about Paralives cropping up on Youtube, which seems like it's actually looking to challenge the Sims.

They have a lot of of footage of empty houses but still haven't shown anything in terms of what their Sims-equivalents look like or really talked about anything in terms of gameplay so I'm somewhat skeptical given it's been almost a year since it was announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I always go long with my lifespans, especially when dealing with stuff like University, I get too attached to the little goobers.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I just turn aging off and play with the same Sims and families forever, like it’s still Sims 1

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I've literally never managed to even get close to living out a sim's whole lifespan and I don't understand how others seemingly have and do. I do set it to long but even still, it feels like living out a sim's whole lifetime is the kind of thing that takes years of play, not a few days. One of my currently oldest sims in my currently oldest active save are past the halfway point of the adult stage, and I started them out as teenagers. In early 2015.

None of the other saves get even close, but that save does have a few that started out as young adults or adults who are now either elders or dead. But they were never my main focus so it's a bit fuzzy if I even consider them to be "my" sims.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I've started the Legacy challenge hundreds of times. Have never gotten past the fourth generation.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I had one save where all the magic gurus or whatever they're called kept aging way faster than the general populace. I think I went through three generations of them during the end of my sims YA/beginning of A span. The whole place was littered with urns and and miserable. Just uncontrollable weeping all up in hogwarts.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

They have a lot of of footage of empty houses but still haven't shown anything in terms of what their Sims-equivalents look like or really talked about anything in terms of gameplay so I'm somewhat skeptical given it's been almost a year since it was announced.

it was announced via the solo developer posting videos of stuff to twitter basically as soon as the game had things that you could take videos of. This isn't like a traditional big game where 50 people have been working on it for 3 years before it gets announced.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

it was announced via the solo developer posting videos of stuff to twitter basically as soon as the game had things that you could take videos of. This isn't like a traditional big game where 50 people have been working on it for 3 years before it gets announced.

They haven't explained how all of the impressive list of features and requests are going to be implemented. They haven't shown off any characters, let alone showing the complex AI and pathing routines a sims type game requires. They haven't actually really done much other than went "see how you can place things anywhere with this build tool" without explaining how any of it is supposed to work in the context of an actual game. People are skeptical for a reason, not just because it's basically one guy claiming he's going to make the dream Sims game that has everything you ever wanted in it.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I made a really cool little beach home for my finacee the other day. She's been really wanting me to build one because she can only do pre-made rooms herself. I did a whole bunch of poo poo she doesn't really understand like turning move objects on and the resize feature. Spent 3 hours meticulously placing the objects and setting the theme.

So I show her and I said I didn't test pathing yet so she moves a random Sim in. It all works and she loves it so I leave her to it forgetting to put it in the gallery with my other fine art. I talk to her the next day and she said "Don't be mad but that Sim took all the furniture when I moved the them out, it's all empty." :geno:

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

How’s the my first pet pack ?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

fit em all up in there posted:

How’s the my first pet pack ?

Largely pointless

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

kirbysuperstar posted:

Largely pointless

Guess I can for a sale on it the. The hamsters and stuff seemed neat.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I was gonna play Sims 4 after not doing so for, like, months, but then there was an update and now I'm in that part of post-update work where I stare at my mods folder and ponder whether or not I even want to play that much because :effort:

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

The rich get richer, it just isn't fair.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How approachable is The Sims 4 PC for a non-gamer? I have an older (62) family member that I'd like to find a new game for. She currently plays WoW and has a lot of fun but I think she is tiring of it, and she has pretty much maxed out Stardew Valley.

Does the game have a good beginners tutorial or walk-thru to explain the core mechanics and gameplay?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

How approachable is The Sims 4 PC for a non-gamer? I have an older (62) family member that I'd like to find a new game for. She currently plays WoW and has a lot of fun but I think she is tiring of it, and she has pretty much maxed out Stardew Valley.

Does the game have a good beginners tutorial or walk-thru to explain the core mechanics and gameplay?

The Sims, as a series, is the poster child for games that are approachable by nontraditional video game players. It explains its own mechanics perfectly well enough to begin playing, especially if she's already familiar with WoW and Stardew Valley.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

It has a useful and concise tutorial, I used it when I started and it was good at explaining camera controls and how to issue commands to your Sims.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bongo Bill posted:

The Sims, as a series, is the poster child for games that are approachable by nontraditional video game players. It explains its own mechanics perfectly well enough to begin playing, especially if she's already familiar with WoW and Stardew Valley.

ajkalan posted:

It has a useful and concise tutorial, I used it when I started and it was good at explaining camera controls and how to issue commands to your Sims.

Thanks. I found a free trial on Origin so I'm going to try it out tonight so I can better explain the game when I install it for her.

I see that there is a ton of DLC. Can the core game bring a lot of joy or does some of the DLC feel mandatory for the game?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks. I found a free trial on Origin so I'm going to try it out tonight so I can better explain the game when I install it for her.

I see that there is a ton of DLC. Can the core game bring a lot of joy or does some of the DLC feel mandatory for the game?

It really depends on what she wants, the core game is great by itself if she doesn't care about anything else - if she likes pets there's a DLC for that, Seasons is one of the best ones for weather and holidays like Christmas - those are the two that I'd suggest for her, but there's a lot more depending on what she likes! I'd start her off with a couple and see how she gets on before splashing out, because it gets super expensive after a while.

e: to explain a bit more:
-Get Famous involves getting famous, becoming a celebrity, being wildly loved or hated
-Get to Work gives you a couple of new jobs that you can control rather than your sim disappearing for the work day, they're very labour intensive but can be fun
-City Living is apartments, a world set in the big city, lots of South and East Asian inspired outfits and decorations
-Get Together gives a new world and the ability to have clubs
-Island Living is a tropical island with mermaids, you probably want to go more basic to start
-University is as it says in the title, same as above, she doesn't want that yet

See if she likes it then get Seasons, and if she wants her dog/cat get the pets one!

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 25, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hughmoris posted:

This has already been answered but I wanted to chime in - I got the base game cheap and played it for a while and had fun before I decided to go for seasons and cats n' dogs. Base game has oodles of content and is fun, and you add DLC as you want it.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I have every game/expansion pack now.

Now I gotta figure out with stuff packs to grab.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

fit em all up in there posted:

I have every game/expansion pack now.

Now I gotta figure out with stuff packs to grab.

Don't buy them full price.

Laundry Day Stuff adds a new thing if you want more of that, and has some nice items

Tiny Living has some really lovely items

Toddler stuff is great if, again, you like that, if you don't care about kids then w/e. Kids Room stuff, same.

I like the backyard stuff but on the whole, apart from the above I could do without (or am doing without). There's one that has hot tubs, the Patio stuff one? That's nice, but I don't have it.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ce9VSNsjE

New expansion pack, Eco Lifestyle. At a quick glance it looks like they took the idea of cleaning up pollution from Island Living, made it affect a whole world map and then threw in some items that look like they were cut from University's robotics stuff. Oh yeah and ladders because gently caress you, pay us 40 bucks. Couldn't include them in Tiny Living of course, that would've made too much sense.

Considering the premise itself is a reused stuff pack idea and all the content appears to be adapted or held back from previous expansions (and I have trouble seeing how you could possibly get forty dollars worth of gameplay out of cleaning poo poo up), I'm not surprised the reception seems pretty heavily negative so far. There were rumors of a farming expansion right before this to boot so people are definitely feeling like they didn't get what they wanted.

PR posted:

Change the World
In Evergreen Harbor, every action you take and decision you make influences the state of the world around you. The cleaner Evergreen Harbor gets, the more you’ll see nature thriving. You determine whether the skies are smoggy or clear enough to see the aurora borealis glimmering above. Let garbage pile up on the streets of your neighborhood or clean it up to create lush green walking paths in town. It’s up to you!

Upgrade Your Home
New updates in Build/Buy encourage going green, too. For the first time, you can offset your bills with wind turbines, solar panels, and dew collectors. Reduce your eco footprint and invest in a living rooftop for a splash of bright color. Inside, choose between gorgeous new furniture (sustainably made, of course) or upcycle someone else’s junk into beautiful items!

Make or Break It
Speaking of reclaiming and repurposing things, why don’t you check out a new job as a maker? As you go around town, keep an eye out for collectibles and materials for your next project. Brave Sims might try dumpster diving for resources like dyes, bits and pieces, and ingredients—as long as they don’t mind the smell. Choose the Freelance Crafter career to fill mail and internet orders for your candles, fizzy juices, upcycled objects, and more! Or try to encourage your neighbors to vote for a community maker space where you can all craft together.

Use Your Voice
Unused community spaces are going to waste—literally, as a dump. Rally your neighbors to decide how to use it. To get that maker space, you’re going to need support. Want a shared planting space with vertical gardens instead? Vote for it! Every week, you can join your new community in voting for a Neighborhood Action Plan. Transform the shared lot, promote the performing arts, suggest a weekly workout, demand an upcycling initiative, or explore the many other options on the board. Just know that you could end up wearing a paper bag on your head if things go sideways….

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

wow.

That's some yawn worthy stuff there. Except for that last bullet point which is the stuff of nightmares.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Whereas I am pumped for all of it!!

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

ugh what a waste of a expansion pack.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Feels like Tiny Living should've been part of this. More a waste of a stuff pack than an expansion. It'll be a real shame that they can't use Tiny Living items in this, the builds with just base game + new expansion are getting really bad.

I dreamed that I started the 100 baby challenge so I went for it but I'm not sure it's gonna go anywhere, I'm in a tiny apartment with 4000 simoleons earned from painting with 3 toddlers and 3 babies and it is hell

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

StrixNebulosa posted:

This has already been answered but I wanted to chime in - I got the base game cheap and played it for a while and had fun before I decided to go for seasons and cats n' dogs. Base game has oodles of content and is fun, and you add DLC as you want it.

Thanks!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Do they still not have bunk beds?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Do they still not have bunk beds?

They have murphy beds that you can't use because they'll kill you!

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/SimGuruGeorge/status/1258101258553946113

Apparently the ladders at least are going to be free for everyone. If they had locked them behind the 40 dollar paywall I would've definitely been mad, so good.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0eV1d-L-mc

Paralives did their character reveal. Looks pretty cool and much better than I expected (or feared). I'm not entirely sold on the art style, but that's something that can be polished at least. I'm still also not at all convinced a tiny developer is going to deliver on all their promises, but at least they got an edge on EA in the character creator: a color wheel and a height slider. Pure wizardry, really.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Ruflux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0eV1d-L-mc

Paralives did their character reveal. Looks pretty cool and much better than I expected (or feared). I'm not entirely sold on the art style, but that's something that can be polished at least. I'm still also not at all convinced a tiny developer is going to deliver on all their promises, but at least they got an edge on EA in the character creator: a color wheel and a height slider. Pure wizardry, really.

To be fair, that looks really good compared to most pre-alpha stuff. And wow, they're actually using their patreon to hire people rather than coasting on it. Impressed.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah I've been pretty skeptical about Paralives over the last year but that early character editor looks pretty promising.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

BTW I don't think this was posted here (or maybe I forgot/missed it, but hey it's relevant to the Sims competitor chat), but PCGamesN had an interview with Rod Humble back in March concerning his new game at Paradox Tectonic. In case you're not aware, Rod Humble was the guy basically in charge of Sims 2 and 3 before leaving for a CEO position at the company that makes Second Life, and while he's still not revealing the type of game they're making at the studio, he points out it should be pretty obvious given his pedigree. It's been speculated about before, but we seem to be getting ever closer to the reveal of Paradox's life sim.

Anyway, there's a bunch of neat details there and also talk of his approach to game design. It sounds like he definitely gets the genre in a way I don't think current EA/Maxis leadership does, but we'll see what ultimately comes out of the studio. The interview also has a brilliant quote from Will Wright:

Rod Humble posted:

I don’t think he’ll mind me telling this story in an interview – when I took over the Sims, I went to visit [Maxis co-founder and Sims creator] Will Wright. I was taking over his baby, so I wanted to go and kiss the ring. And he’s a great guy, but I asked him what I thought was a smart question, which was, “looking back, what’s the one thing you would take away [from the Sims]? What’s something you regret putting in that wasn’t needed, or the game would be more efficient without?” And he looked at me like [bulldogs do], with this sort of pitying look, and he said “I wouldn’t take anything out. I would add more. More is more.” The idea of taking away gameplay didn’t even occur to him.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 20, 2020

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Second Life is still alive?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Paralives dude's Patreon has skyrocketed since the character reveal. Its almost at $25,000 a month now.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Besides ladders, looks like firefighters, and an improved inventory system are coming in the free update.

Also freely placeable windows for all your Groverhaus needs.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Besides ladders, looks like firefighters, and an improved inventory system are coming in the free update.

Also freely placeable windows for all your Groverhaus needs.

Doors, too. Also the repoman is now here for regular bills, instead of just being relegated to hound you for your unpaid student debt. I've heard rumblings that they've reworked the way bills work (which would be very welcome) but I'm not going to actually check the stream they did to see if it's true or not. I would assume they'd had to have made changes to it since I doubt they'll just replace the power/water getting shut off thing entirely, but who knows, it's modern day Maxis. I do know there's like a fire rating for floor tiles now, which is an interesting mechanic. Fires spread way too slowly and are really easy to control in 4 by default.

With simulation lag still being an unresolved issue I wonder how many instance of firefighters bobbing their heads on the sidewalk while doing absolutely nothing about the fire are we going to get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So it looks like EA let a bunch of Sims youtubers have early access to the new patch, if people want to see it played.