Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

society is breaking down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
oof permabanned in the midst of a good late night posting sesh

just like catching covid-19

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

society is breaking down

this is a return to normalcy in the US

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fasdar posted:

What blows my goddamn mind is that my life has literally not changed at all during all of this, save the fact that my usual disgust for gelatinous shoppers at the grocery and hardware store is now embodied physically in the form of a mask. What in the gently caress are people shopping for? What does it make them feel?

My life has gotten considerably better as a result of all this, it's super loving weird and probably just a prelude to a long period of horrific loss I guess

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Trixie Hardcore posted:

You know a lot of people who get shot don't actually consent to it.
I definitely wasn't talking about them, but rather people walking around with guns and threatening the police over fast food restaurants being closed and stuff.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

#whocare “This is fine.”

what a post 2 go out on..

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

i love this because it does nothing, the instant you set foot on private property masked security guards can point to the sign saying masks required and if you don't leave they can get you for trespassing

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

shovelbum posted:

like all this breathless talk of institutions breaking down and balkanization over something you can just shuffle under the rug and ignore forever like a litany of other atrocities we havent fixed since 1776

I still think this is the normalcy bias creeping in. There hasn't been a modern disease pandemic that's killed 1-3 million people in a relatively sparsely populated country yet.

empty whippet box posted:

My life has gotten considerably better as a result of all this, it's super loving weird and probably just a prelude to a long period of horrific loss I guess

Your risk gets amplified by how connected you are to society, which is why the initial clusters were celebrities, pro athletes, and politicians.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

shovelbum posted:

this is a return to normalcy in the US

normalacy will be desolate wind swept ash wastes

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

fosborb posted:

Tried looking I to the perma reason/post and only got more confused by apparent forums drama

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Thesaurus posted:

Tried looking I to the perma reason/post and only got more confused by apparent forums drama

same

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
I know a guy who is a remote dev, holed up in his highrise and only drinks soylent shakes anyway for sustenance, he will probably be the last man standing in chicago (as long as his soylent stockpile can last)

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Lol at the idea the air force has some cool secret planes. The one they've worked on for 30 years can't fly in the rain lmao

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

shovelbum posted:

Businesses with mostly chud patrons will thrive, those with mostly dem patrons will either court the chud redcap dollar or perish, people will be bored of it and once they see the chuds are mostly fine (not falling down dead in public) they will be lulled into enough security to consume at normal rates. 10,000 people or whatever will die a day and no one will care because it will be mostly the old or the sick or the poor and death in America happens far from the public eye. It will be seen as a shameful but unavoidable condition of poverty and institutions, like tuberculosis, and by August people will be joking about it like SARS or swine flu even while it continues to kill tens or hundreds of thousands all the time. Death is a very behind the scenes thing in America because of privacy laws and our deep-rooted cultural disdain for weakness/losing, so it will never again be in the public eye like the NYC outbreak was. It doesn't kill enough of the workforce to cause many major disruptions once the meatpackers are immune, and the economy will struggle along in a depression caused by the mere shock of our lovely lockdown and kleptocratic stimulus until we manage to manufacture consent for a proxy war with China and then everyone will rally around the flag and the whole business will be put behind us forever. Deaths at 2000/day will remain constant forever.

Sometimes I think people are too hard on shovelbum and then I'm like dude omg why are you like this?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Relevant Tangent posted:

i love this because it does nothing, the instant you set foot on private property masked security guards can point to the sign saying masks required and if you don't leave they can get you for trespassing

Just wait till I call the doj's ada information line on you, buster

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

well, unless you're a horrible person that shoots people at a family dollar or a mcdonalds

then they get you for murder

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

shovelbum posted:

Businesses with mostly chud patrons will thrive, those with mostly dem patrons will either court the chud redcap dollar or perish, people will be bored of it and once they see the chuds are mostly fine (not falling down dead in public) they will be lulled into enough security to consume at normal rates. 10,000 people or whatever will die a day and no one will care because it will be mostly the old or the sick or the poor and death in America happens far from the public eye. It will be seen as a shameful but unavoidable condition of poverty and institutions, like tuberculosis, and by August people will be joking about it like SARS or swine flu even while it continues to kill tens or hundreds of thousands all the time. Death is a very behind the scenes thing in America because of privacy laws and our deep-rooted cultural disdain for weakness/losing, so it will never again be in the public eye like the NYC outbreak was. It doesn't kill enough of the workforce to cause many major disruptions once the meatpackers are immune, and the economy will struggle along in a depression caused by the mere shock of our lovely lockdown and kleptocratic stimulus until we manage to manufacture consent for a proxy war with China and then everyone will rally around the flag and the whole business will be put behind us forever. Deaths at 2000/day will remain constant forever.

2000 deaths/day is what we get with lockdowns, so it'd probably be significantly more without them

no one is sweeping this under the rug because it's all going to cost too much money, china didn't shut their country down for funsies

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Thesaurus posted:

Sometimes i do this and find areas i've never seen before

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol poo poo and i just realized the subforum name changes lmao

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Sometimes I think people are too hard on shovelbum and then I'm like dude omg why are you like this?

the good road here is "a hard 2 month lockdown followed by rigorous society-wide track and trace" until it's either stamped out NZ style or there's a good vaccine/treatment.

every road except that one formula leads to a grim endemic disease preying on the underclass and we're not getting the NZ scenario

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Serf posted:

aliens are real and have visited earth and kept on driving

roadside picnic is great

make sure you watch 'Hard to be a God' while smashed on something, book is cool too

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Lol at the idea the air force has some cool secret planes. The one they've worked on for 30 years can't fly in the rain lmao

Navy's newest ship can't go in salt water or it melts.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

shovelbum posted:

the good road here is "a hard 2 month lockdown followed by rigorous society-wide track and trace" until it's either stamped out NZ style or there's a good vaccine/treatment.

every road except that one formula leads to a grim endemic disease preying on the underclass and we're not getting the NZ scenario

i'm getting the NZ scenario

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

*masked DOJ ADA information line agents crash in through the windows and haul you off in a black van*

I've actually called that information line before, and lemme tell you, it's probably not a good way to get quick results if you're an anti-mask vigilante or whatever

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Navy warship USS Tnurp to be constructed out of cotton candy

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Spime Wrangler posted:

starting to see people I know who've been friends for years getting into public shouting matches on facebook because one of them has dumb chud opinions, and it's happening in a number of different social circles that kept it on lock through obama and 3 years of trump

Lockdown is breaking peoples brains.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

fosborb posted:

Yo what the gently caress how is that a permaban

RIP

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lmao balkanization starter force ready to go

the western states pact thanks u mr trumo

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's cool that we wasted the past 2 months sitting around inside only for the absolute worst boomer scum to render it all worthless

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yo what the gently caress how is that a permaban

RIP

Probly best not to troll grieving family members of dead goons

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

like 3 months ago we were in awe of 17 thousand daily new cases being wildly out of the norm, now we're up to 99 thousand daily new cases and it's just the same as usual

A protracted conflict will just be a series of individual events happening more frequently until there's no time between each one. By then half a million COVID19 deaths as the autumn 2nd wave ramps up will leave everyone scrambling to secure their individual communities in the face of a broken and absentee Federal Government, and probably 30/50 collapsed or collapsing State Governments which can't even figure out who won the Presidential election and certify a result. Libs will still be tut-tutting about civility as the chuds do victory laps and finally openly admit that elections aren't relevant anymore since they're the only party with a legitimate right to rule anyway.

With all that going on, nobody is really going to notice when they hear every night something like, "3 protesters and one counter protester were killed today in Michigan, bringing the total dead to..."

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

sullat posted:

Navy's newest ship can't go in salt water or it melts.

you cant be stealth unless u become the water

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

You're catastrophizing again dude, chill.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

jettisonedstuff posted:

wtf what happened that they're losing their eyes?

It was a online classifieds pick up dude was trying to sell them each for $300. Lady shows up and was like give me all 3 for $100 and I won't call the bylaw officers.

So vet assumes neglect and an infection they act like kittens but are atleast 1.5 yrs.

They will find a good home soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_3DmaJH5V7/?igshid=tz1jy8jkdsr3

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

like 3 months ago we were in awe of 17 thousand daily new cases being wildly out of the norm, now we're up to 99 thousand daily new cases and it's just the same as usual

A protracted conflict will just be a series of individual events happening more frequently until there's no time between each one. By then half a million COVID19 deaths as the autumn 2nd wave ramps up will leave everyone scrambling to secure their individual communities in the face of a broken and absentee Federal Government, and probably 30/50 collapsed or collapsing State Governments which can't even figure out who won the Presidential election and certify a result. Libs will still be tut-tutting about civility as the chuds do victory laps and finally openly admit that elections aren't relevant anymore since they're the only party with a legitimate right to rule anyway.

With all that going on, nobody is really going to notice when they hear every night something like, "3 protesters and one counter protester were killed today in Michigan, bringing the total dead to..."

hosed up if true!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Relevant Tangent posted:

skull.gif is here saying balkanization is certain and yall saying i'm catastrophizing by saying america will unload the burden of disease onto the poor/elderly/poc and keep on truckin?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Relevant Tangent posted:

this entire thread is 24/7 catastrophizing. i anoint two weeks as the equivalent of the friedman unit, but call it the cspam unit.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-OGaGOn0D1/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_H_eh5DPpO/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_mid=EC329EB8-E9D1-4E5A-8975-0FDC0F4EBE3C

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-Y1OkGpZiu/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_mid=EC329EB8-E9D1-4E5A-8975-0FDC0F4EBE3C

Mr Ice Cream Glove has issued a correction as of 05:49 on May 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Relevant Tangent posted:

that seemed pretty reasonable to me tbh

*reads yesterday's newspaper, not noticing the date*
"haha wow this jokester is catastrophizing, this could never happen"