Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

yronic heroism posted:

A white guy getting told by a phone call from another white guy to vote Bernie is democracy in action, but if black people choose to vote differently that’s manufactured consent? Good to know.

yes. people interacting with other voters about voting is more democratic than people being told by billionaire owned tv shows who to vote for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

yronic heroism posted:

A white guy getting told by a phone call from another white guy to vote Bernie is democracy in action, but if black people choose to vote differently that’s manufactured consent? Good to know.

age was the major factor for Biden, not so much race

nothing motivates old voters(who will vote trump anyway) quite like loving over young people

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Rainbow Knight posted:

yes. people interacting with other voters about voting is more democratic than people being told by billionaire owned tv shows who to vote for

Personal agency, how does it work?

And that’s without even getting to the ugly assumption that black voters or just plain anyone voting for Biden didn’t have voter-to-voter contact. They talked among themselves plenty, just like everyone else did. You just don’t like the result.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

Usually not in the rational, informed, unaffected-by-media-and-institutions way that your bad-faith narrative would have us believe, that’s for sure.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

Usually not in the rational, informed, unaffected-by-media-and-institutions way that your bad-faith narrative would have us believe, that’s for sure.

Except in the case of one candidate and only one candidate whose supporters are always rational, informed, and unaffected by the media, amirite Maj?

I speak, of course, of crystal yasssqueen Marianne

i got owned
Apr 10, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So do you guys think Joe Biden raped that woman?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

yronic heroism posted:

And that’s without even getting to the ugly assumption that black voters or just plain anyone voting for Biden didn’t have voter-to-voter contact. They talked among themselves plenty, just like everyone else did. You just don’t like the result.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I’m still trying to get my mind around how a dude with a clipboard knocking on my door or calling me off an auto dial is some deep democratic connection (that somehow can’t be purchased with the proper dose of campaign cash). It’s about the least persuasive way you can talk to a person. Yes it has its place for reminding your less motivated voters to turn out for the side they already support but it’s not some kind of magic democracy spell.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 7, 2020

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

Except in the case of one candidate and only one candidate whose supporters are always rational, informed, and unaffected by the media, amirite Maj?

I speak, of course, of crystal yasssqueen Marianne

I wish I could live in your alternate reality where the mainstream media and the Democratic establishment were ride-or-die for Bernie!

i got owned posted:

So do you guys think Joe Biden raped that woman?

You know, it’s funny, I do. And the reason why is because of his entire history. I know, it’s weird and arbitrary but it’s what guides me.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 7, 2020

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

As far as ideology goes, who said ideology should be hopeful? Ideology should accurately describe the world. Religion should be hopeful, and should never be substituted for ideology. Meditation and exercise should be hopeful. You want hope, plant a garden or go to your preferred house of worship.

Ideology isn't just a view of the world, it's also ideals of what the world should be. An ideology without hope would be inert. Kind of like yours is. Biden's going to lose in November btw

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

I wish I could live in your alternate reality where the mainstream media and the Democratic establishment were ride-or-die for Bernie!

Nice qualifier on the “mainstream” media which we both know is not all media and is declining in influence.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

Nice qualifier on the “mainstream” media which we both know is not all media and is declining in influence.

It’s what old people watch. And that’s who voted for Biden. Not black people. Old people.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

Ideology isn't just a view of the world, it's also ideals of what the world should be. An ideology without hope would be inert. Kind of like yours is. Biden's going to lose in November btw

I know that’s what you hope. But hope is ineffable. Ideologies have goals and means.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

I know that’s what you hope. But hope is ineffable. Ideologies have goals and means.

How is hope ineffable when I just described precisely what I'm hoping for

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

It’s what old people watch. And that’s who voted for Biden. Not black people. Old people.

So people who voted for Bernie were not influenced by any media source, celebrity/neckbeard podcaster endorsement, etc?

In other words, “influence” is only a concept you apply to things you don’t like.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It's insanely obvious you're twisting yourself into a semantic pretzel trying to exclude the word "hope" from ideology just because your own doesn't feature it, because it's based on cowardice and cynicism and never making anything better

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

So people who voted for Bernie were not influenced by any media source, celebrity/neckbeard podcaster endorsement, etc?

In other words, “influence” is only a concept you apply to things you don’t like.

Nah, that’s not at all what I said, and you know it, because you’re blatantly trolling.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

How is hope ineffable when I just described precisely what I'm hoping for

Because hope to you is small and petty and consists of “hurr, can’t wait for the ~libs~ to get owned.” It’s no true hope at all, merely spite.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

Because hope to you is small and petty and consists of “hurr, can’t wait for the ~libs~ to get owned.” It’s no true hope at all, merely spite.

Hope is when you want something to happen. And spite isn't the only reason I'm hoping for Biden to lose, although it is a fun component

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

So, so much projection.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Majorian posted:

So, so much projection.

Yeah, that too. Coming from somebody whose every post amounts to spiteful reminders Bernie lost the nomination

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

Hope is when you want something to happen. And spite isn't the only reason I'm hoping for Biden to lose, although it is a fun component

Well I want Trump to lose and Dems to win so I guess I got a hopeful ideology after all by your definition even if I don’t describe it in those terms.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 7, 2020

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

Well I want Trump to lose so I guess I got a hopeful ideology after all by your definition.

Cool. Not a very high or big hope though, is it

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

Cool. Not a very high or big hope though, is it

I mean it beats “owning the libs by voting Trump as a ‘true leftist’ “ I should say.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

I mean it beats “owning the libs by voting Trump as a ‘leftist’ I should say.”

Lol I'm not voting Trump. And the difference here is that your only hope is Trump loses, where I also have hopes for a more just and forward-looking country and my friends and family being able to afford medical care and my kids being able to go to college without debt and stuff

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Yo could the pro-rapist creep who keeps buying me this avatar knock it the gently caress off

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

yronic heroism posted:

Oh hey I see you're back on the "It's personal agency and multibillion dollar media narratives have no effect on anything that happens so long as the boomers vote in a way that benefits me personally" threadshitting tick. Very nice to see the old classics pop up every dozen or two pages.

Somfin posted:

Yo could the pro-rapist creep who keeps buying me this avatar knock it the gently caress off

They have vastly more money than you and absolutely want you to know it. You and your loved ones deserve to die of easily preventable illness for not having parents as rich as theirs.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

Lol I'm not voting Trump. And the difference here is that your only hope is Trump loses, where I also have hopes for a more just and forward-looking country and my friends and family being able to afford medical care and my kids being able to go to college without debt and stuff

No, seriouschat I want more than for him to lose, but in fact beating him is very likely a necessary condition for the other things to happen at all in the next 30 years.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 7, 2020

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

No, I want more than him to lose, but in fact beating him is very likely a necessary condition for the other things to happen in the next 30 years.

Preventing the Democrat party from thinking nominating third-wayers is the winningest strategy is a necessary condition for the things I want to happen in the next 30 years, so it seems we're at a crossroads. I saw your edit by the way you dumb little votepig

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Marxalot posted:

They have vastly more money than you and absolutely want you to know it. You and your loved ones deserve to die of easily preventable illness for not having parents as rich as theirs.

Yeah especially since I had my loving hours cut by corona

I'm pretty sure I made my stance on this poo poo clear, I'm not voting for Biden because he's a rapist and I'm a victim, whoever the gently caress you are, you are goddamn scum

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

Preventing the Democrat party from thinking nominating third-wayers is the winningest strategy is a necessary condition for the things I want to happen in the next 30 years, so it seems we're at a crossroads. I saw your edit by the way you dumb little votepig

A post got edited? BURN HIM!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Somfin posted:

I'm pretty sure I made my stance on this poo poo clear, I'm not voting for Biden because he's a rapist and I'm a victim, whoever the gently caress you are, you are goddamn scum

Peep this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916038

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

yronic heroism posted:

No, I want more than him to lose, but in fact beating him is very likely a necessary condition for the other things to happen in the next 30 years.

"I want trump to lose" and "I am going to spend about a year concern trolling D&D about bernie in favor of every right-wing media-accepted flavor of the month candidate" seem like opposing ideas. But what do we know, we're not the Randian Supermen who are likely to benefit and subsequently trickle down the wealth from a Biden Presidency.

Somfin posted:

I'd love to say that's incredibly lovely, even for some of the absolute disingenuous ghouls who lurk this thread, but I'd be lying.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 7, 2020

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Marxalot posted:

"I want trump to lose" and "I am going to spend about a year concern trolling D&D about bernie in favor of every right-wing media-accepted flavor of the month candidate" seem like opposing ideas. But what do we know, we're not the Randian Supermen who are likely to benefit and subsequently trickle down the wealth from a Biden Presidency.

Idk when we switched from “posting on something awful dot com has no effect on anything political” to “omg you made Bernie lose and Trump win” but here we are.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

yronic heroism posted:

I love how we’ve switched from “posting on something awful dot com has no effect on anything political” to “omg you made Bernie lose and Trump win” but here we are.

I would like better things to happen and publically state so. Would it not contradict that stated goal if I wound up spending all of my time shouting about how better things should not happen, and that people should stop being idiots and support people who have stated that they too would prefer better things to not happen? I'm not calling your posting effective; I'm calling you a habitual threadshitter.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dang yronic if what you're looking for is an ideology grounded in science and not optimism you should check out Marxism, because what the Dems are offering and have always offered is 100% fluff and feeling

I mean unless you're a rich conservative, then it's a much more grounded and results driven platform

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Marxalot posted:

I would like better things to happen and publically state so. Would it not contradict that stated goal if I wound up spending all of my time shouting about how better things should not happen, and that people should stop being idiots and support people who have stated that they too would prefer better things to not happen? I'm not calling your posting effective; I'm calling you a habitual threadshitter.

Not once did I say people should not support Bernie in the primaries so your post is just a lie, or, more charitably, you have me confused with one of those other primary posters you love posting about.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Dang yronic if what you're looking for is an ideology grounded in science and not optimism you should check out Marxism

I’m p sure an ideology that declares an inevitable positive endpoint (and before anyone starts, yeah Marxism is far from alone on that score) has allowed optimism to seep in at some point.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

Not once did I say people should not support Bernie in the primaries so your post is just a lie, or, more charitably, you have me confused with one of those other primary posters you love posting about.

Every post you've ever made involving Bernie and his supporters has been negative you little freak. He's not somehow mistaken about your intent because you never typed the words "people should not support Bernie in the primaries"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i need to punch
Aug 27, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree yronic, you definitely shouldn't do any canvassing or phone banking for Biden.