Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

DrNutt posted:

Is it like mandatory that every games poster be this perpetually miserable shitlord who doesn't recall what it was like to be young and stupid or something? Or were y'all just the "smarter than everyone else" insufferable shitheads when you were that age?
You ever hear that saying about the people you hate the most being the ones who remind you most of yourself? Believe me, I sure as hell remember, it's why it hurts so much, lol. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

2 is way better than TOB and it has some of the best story sequences in an FPS that is otherwise about shotgunning through Nazis

This is a fairly uncommon opinion, most people were fairly down on TNC after being v pumped anticipating it

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I enjoyed the first one a ton, the second one had some good parts but just wasn't very fun and I never bothered finishing it. It felt like they took a lot of the power away from the player, a lot of the gunfights just had you instantly dying and forced you to play it more like a cover shooter.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I felt that they didn't add much of note to Wolfie 2, the levels seemed worse and you're stuck with partial health for story reasons for a substantial portion of the game so overall it was a worse game for me. The story seemed kind of disjointed but I don't really play fps games for the story anyway so :shrug:(it has cool moments but I feel like it doesn't work as a cohesive whole)

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 6, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Hub Cat posted:

I felt that they didn't add much of note to Wolfie 2, the levels seemed worse and you're stuck with partial health for story reasons for a substantial portion of the game so overall it was a worse game for me. The story seemed kind of disjointed but I don't really play fps games for the story anyway so :shrug:(it has cool moments but I feel like it doesn't work as a cohesive whole)

To be fair to the game, when you have half health you have double armor. When you regain full health you trade it for the extra armor. It’s a way of scaling the difficulty up in the second half of the game (total net hp is lower when you ditch the armor) while rewarding aggressive play (health can be overcharged.)

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Doom Eternal is worth purchasing. It's been awhile since I've had a big smile on my face playing a video game.The grin that doomguy has when he picks up a new weapon, that's what I had.Doom Eternal delivers more violence and more demons to kill than 2016, and has a new set of rules that make it different to play than 2016.

Not even getting into the soundtrack. Holy poo poo it's good.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Do you mean this soundtrack?
https://www.ign.com/articles/doom-eternals-soundtrack-controversy-explained

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Is it like mandatory that every games poster be this perpetually miserable shitlord who doesn't recall what it was like to be young and stupid or something? Or were y'all just the "smarter than everyone else" insufferable shitheads when you were that age?

I guess if nothing else you can have a couple points for not describing it as "twee"

I was more referring to the fact that it's set in a private boarding school for art and photography.

Literally the only people are 1% failsons/daughters or passionate cool weirdo scholarship kids.

Saying "hella" a lot is less annoying then rich kids treating everyone else like human scum.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Imo Wolfenstein: TNC ripped and I can't wait for the next one. Genuinely funny game that actually has some understanding of fascism (and loving it up) beyond just using it as an aesthetic.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The fact that BJ is characterized as fighting fascism because he sees his abusive father in it, and then having him also literally stop in the middle of escaping from a nuclear strike to visit his childhood home and whip the poo poo out of his dad, is phenomenal.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Anonymous Robot posted:

The fact that BJ is characterized as fighting fascism because he sees his abusive father in it
In a lot of ways, this really basically is fascism: an abusive father, but as the state.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Well that's been covered to hell in the doom thread. Mick Gordon did kinda answer truthfully but in a vague way, and that resulted in social media thinking Bethesda or Id that Mick Gordon wasn't allowed to mix the rest of the soundtrack.

It took an open letter from Marty Stratton to make it clear that Mick missed several deadlines and Id software have been accommodating in every request made. He took too long so got help from the lead audio director, Chad Mossholder to mix the rest of the 49 out of 59 tracks. Social media have been trashing Chad for doing his job and that's a load of horseshit.

Bottom line, marketting offered the ost as an enticing feature for the collectors edition, they wanted to contract Mick again to mix it, said he could do it, took too long (perfectionist or not) and if they couldn't release the product, they could be sued because technically by the better business bureau, they have not provided a feature that was being sold.

Everybody lost something In this lovely situation.

But that's the drama behind the original soundtrack. The game's in-game soundtrack is loving phenomenal and that's what I meant

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Oh well. At least we got Meathook.

Time to strike gold a second time and reboot Quake properly and give ole Mr. Reznor a call. Altho, whoever did some of the stuff on Quake Champions ain't half bad.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Givin posted:

Altho, whoever did some of the stuff on Quake Champions ain't half bad.

lol guess who that was

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Joe Man posted:

lol guess who that was
Andrew Hulshult?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Awesome! posted:

monster train: familiar slay the spire kind of stuff with a twist. there have been a ton of "deckbuilding roguelikes" shat out over the last couple years but this one seems pretty polished compared to a lot of them. you have a card playing phase like normal followed by a combat phase where minions you play hack at the guys boarding your train. instead of different classes like slay you have more of a magic thing where you have different factions (colors) with focuses and you pick 2(?) of them. the whole aspect of being on a train doesnt seem like it really adds anything other than context for moving through the map but whatever, you gotta do something to stand out in this genre. i wishlisted it and will see what reviews look like at launch. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1102190/Monster_Train/

Just played the demo of this and good lord they need some serious work and a whole lot of rethinking. Each of your creature cards can only be summoned once per battle, meaning it's entirely possible to just... run out of monsters entirely and have nothing left to defend with. This is compounded by the fact that any enemy you don't kill in one turn can just go ahead and walk right up to the next level of your train. Nothing your 3-4 monsters that are right there can do to stop them.

HP is absolutely atrocious on the enemies. I went through 3 levels, and the strongest monster I ever got has a whole 60 HP and I was routinely facing multiple enemies per wave with HP of 240. Couple this with the bullshit where they can just walk past your monsters, and I was having a lot of trouble actually loving killing anything, because I only had a single turn to somehow do 240 HP worth of damage, when my guys are hitting for like 10 max, and my only damage spell hits for 2.

Then come the bosses. The bosses get a special mode where any combat they're in just goes until everything on one side is dead. And they have even more HP and attack power, so they just come in and cream every single monster between them and your train heart thing. I fought 3 and every last one was only stopped by the 20 odd damage my train heart dealt when it was struck. Literally every single boss was able to reach my HP pool, I could not possibly stop them beforehand.

It's a good thing this demo is a pre beta, because holy poo poo this game desperately needs to go back to the drawing board.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I think I'm remembering the stuff Chris Vrenna (old NIN drummer) did from way back.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Anonymous Robot posted:

To be fair to the game, when you have half health you have double armor. When you regain full health you trade it for the extra armor. It’s a way of scaling the difficulty up in the second half of the game (total net hp is lower when you ditch the armor) while rewarding aggressive play (health can be overcharged.)

That's fair it's been a while since I played it, I remember being frustrated with the combat in the earlier sections but reading through some reviews it seems like it might have been other issues(like damage feedback) with the lowered health thing sticking in my mind for whatever reason, the intro feeling section definitely ran a bit long though.
It felt like a step back from TNO and incomplete although its hard to tell how much of my negative opinion is the result of overhype after the surprise success of TNO.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 7, 2020

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Samuringa posted:

I went way too hard into Shadowverse a couple of weeks ago so I feel ya. Eventually, I got to the point where I'd have to actually pay for card packs or keep eating poo poo 9/10 matches and it really ticked me off how the AI in the campaign would keep 'thinking' in its turns and make the play last much longer than it should, but for three or four days I was either playing card games or thinking about playing card games.
That's the thing though, Shadowverse is incredibly generous at the start especially if you reroll many many times plus all the daily logins etc, but then suddenly you hit a brick wall especially after you've ranked up since last time I've played, the rewards there don't actually reset.

Runeterra however, is like the game of my dreams:

Having interactions & stack like MTG - Check.
Incredibly skill-based like Duelyst - Check.
Much more generous than even Eternal/Gwent - Check.
No mana screw/flood unlike MTG - Check.
No filler cards for draft unlike MTG - Check.
Pretty much draw 2 per turn like old Duelyst - Check.
Made for digital so buffs/nerfs instead of bans - Check.
Can directly buy any cards you want - Check.
Mobile version with minimal battery/data usage - Check.

The draft is also at incredibly high power level, it feels like you are actually building Constructed decks - no more draft chaffs and the like. And that's not even going into the ridiculously innovative Champion system.

The only thing that is not available is a Best-Of-3/sideboarding system, but so far the feeling of RNG influencing my games are very, very low. Going first/second almost didn't matter, and games are won and lost almost purely based on skill.

To be fair I'm barely a week in now playing this game, so I may just actually be in the "honeymoon phase". But drat this game is good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

the strongest monster I ever got has a whole 60 HP and I was routinely facing multiple enemies per wave with HP of 240. Couple this with the bullshit where they can just walk past your monsters, and I was having a lot of trouble actually loving killing anything, because I only had a single turn to somehow do 240 HP worth of damage, when my guys are hitting for like 10 max, and my only damage spell hits for 2.
Man, this is some nineties dungeon crawler bullshit. I say this as someone who enjoys replaying Wizardry 8.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cinara posted:

I enjoyed the first one a ton, the second one had some good parts but just wasn't very fun and I never bothered finishing it. It felt like they took a lot of the power away from the player, a lot of the gunfights just had you instantly dying and forced you to play it more like a cover shooter.

This my major gripe with it too. Way too many of those mech soliders that forced me to creep around

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Volte posted:

Andrew Hulshult?
Mick Gordon also did the Quake Champions soundtrack.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Long shot here: anyone know how I can move my Battle Chef Brigade save file from Xbox Gamepass PC to Steam? I don’t know where XBGP stores the save file for it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ShootaBoy posted:

Just played the demo of this and good lord they need some serious work and a whole lot of rethinking. Each of your creature cards can only be summoned once per battle, meaning it's entirely possible to just... run out of monsters entirely and have nothing left to defend with. This is compounded by the fact that any enemy you don't kill in one turn can just go ahead and walk right up to the next level of your train. Nothing your 3-4 monsters that are right there can do to stop them.

HP is absolutely atrocious on the enemies. I went through 3 levels, and the strongest monster I ever got has a whole 60 HP and I was routinely facing multiple enemies per wave with HP of 240. Couple this with the bullshit where they can just walk past your monsters, and I was having a lot of trouble actually loving killing anything, because I only had a single turn to somehow do 240 HP worth of damage, when my guys are hitting for like 10 max, and my only damage spell hits for 2.

Then come the bosses. The bosses get a special mode where any combat they're in just goes until everything on one side is dead. And they have even more HP and attack power, so they just come in and cream every single monster between them and your train heart thing. I fought 3 and every last one was only stopped by the 20 odd damage my train heart dealt when it was struck. Literally every single boss was able to reach my HP pool, I could not possibly stop them beforehand.

It's a good thing this demo is a pre beta, because holy poo poo this game desperately needs to go back to the drawing board.

yeah it felt like i wanted to prioritize getting more minions over most other things. i assume it is intended for your heart to take some hits since it deals 20 damage itself and a game like this where you dont use your life as a resource would be weird. some things definitely felt a little overtuned though.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Anonymous Robot posted:

Long shot here: anyone know how I can move my Battle Chef Brigade save file from Xbox Gamepass PC to Steam? I don’t know where XBGP stores the save file for it.

Nothing in the My Documents/My Games folder(s)? Appdata is another place where they might store things.

Maybe Username > Saved Games > Battlechef.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Awesome! posted:

yeah it felt like i wanted to prioritize getting more minions over most other things. i assume it is intended for your heart to take some hits since it deals 20 damage itself and a game like this where you dont use your life as a resource would be weird. some things definitely felt a little overtuned though.

Usually that happens when you consciously make the choice to give up some HP, like getting hit in Slay the Spire so you can use that energy to kill another enemy. But here I had exactly 0 input on things getting to my heart, because they either killed all my monsters, or just walked right past them.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

If you like Peggle and roguelikes, I'm happy to report that Roundguard is super fun and addictive and the perfect game for loving around with on Zoom meetings or between matches while playing something else.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Joe Man posted:

Mick Gordon also did the Quake Champions soundtrack.
Chris Vrenna of NIN did the original soundtrack and then Andrew Hulshult did another soundtrack for it. I don't think Mick Gordon had anything to do with Quake Champions.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Jamfrost posted:

Nothing in the My Documents/My Games folder(s)? Appdata is another place where they might store things.

Maybe Username > Saved Games > Battlechef.

Appdata has a large number of Game Pass titles, but not BCB. Users folder has Prey and Wolfenstein, oddly, but not BCB.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Sloppy posted:

If you like Peggle and roguelikes, I'm happy to report that Roundguard is super fun and addictive and the perfect game for loving around with on Zoom meetings or between matches while playing something else.

And on Apple Arcade too!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

ShootaBoy posted:

Literally every single boss was able to reach my HP pool, I could not possibly stop them beforehand.

FYI, this means you hosed up bad. Monster Train doesn't want you to load your deck with minions, because when the bosses blow through you're not going to get the chance to place new ones. Monster Train wants you to make a handful of really strong broke-rear end minions with like 5 attacks at 20 rage per turn, mainly by picking good upgrades between battles. If you're using the red deck as your primary, for example, your #1 priority is to keep your champion alive all the way to the boss because he's got silly multistrikes and can get up to sillier rage levels. You can easily tank for him with demon armorers or those big green ball-construct things, especially if you upgrade them.

The game definitely still needs some tuning, because you have to plan for both one-off battles against tough groups AND battles to the death with giant bosses, with very little input from you in between. That doesn't leave a whole lot of room for different strategies, but there are strategies that work and it doesn't sound like you've caught on to any of them yet.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

srulz posted:

To be fair I'm barely a week in now playing this game, so I may just actually be in the "honeymoon phase". But drat this game is good.

I've been playing since it went into beta months ago and I'm still loving it for the same reasons you mentioned. Got a little tired of the same old decks so I stopped playing for a while before 1.0, but the new cards are really fun and there seems to be a huge diversity of playable decks. Really, really solid card game, and thanks to the turn structure etc it feels really different than Hearthstone or Magic.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

I liked Doom 2016 because it kind of felt like Platinum Games made a first person shooter. I dunno if Doom Eternal strikes that same feeling.

I felt it kinda doubled down on that if anything.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I got in touch with a Microsoft rep last night who swore up and down the new Windows 10 version would solve my issue - now it just throws up a blank screen right away. Talked to somebody else and he basically had no clue what the issue could be. I would definitely not recommend getting Game Pass after this unless you really like troubleshooting errors that give no explanation.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's Microsoft support for you. Not defending them, but it is still beta and that's also why it's stupid cheap.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Appdata has a large number of Game Pass titles, but not BCB. Users folder has Prey and Wolfenstein, oddly, but not BCB.

Did you check the game directory? That's where the gog version keeps the saves.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

pentyne posted:

I was more referring to the fact that it's set in a private boarding school for art and photography.

Literally the only people are 1% failsons/daughters or passionate cool weirdo scholarship kids.

Saying "hella" a lot is less annoying then rich kids treating everyone else like human scum.

"Guillotine" is lot more understandable in that context lol. But I think the writers did an awesome job if making what could have been really lovely stereotypes into actual 3 dimensional characters, and it was amazing to even be able to feel empathy for the mean girl and the lovely rich kid.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Too Shy Guy posted:

FYI, this means you hosed up bad. Monster Train doesn't want you to load your deck with minions, because when the bosses blow through you're not going to get the chance to place new ones. Monster Train wants you to make a handful of really strong broke-rear end minions with like 5 attacks at 20 rage per turn, mainly by picking good upgrades between battles. If you're using the red deck as your primary, for example, your #1 priority is to keep your champion alive all the way to the boss because he's got silly multistrikes and can get up to sillier rage levels. You can easily tank for him with demon armorers or those big green ball-construct things, especially if you upgrade them.

The game definitely still needs some tuning, because you have to plan for both one-off battles against tough groups AND battles to the death with giant bosses, with very little input from you in between. That doesn't leave a whole lot of room for different strategies, but there are strategies that work and it doesn't sound like you've caught on to any of them yet.

The random card drops didn't give me much of a choice. I got about 2 spells beyond the stuff I started with, and I rarely drew them. I tried to use the buff-y monsters I got, but they were all little bonuses, like drawing an extra card or giving a floor an extra 5 armour, nothing that actually helped me chew through the dudes with hundreds of HP in the single turn that they give you.

As long as they keep the single round combat and the ability for enemies to just stroll right on past your guys, it's not a game I ever want to play again, because those features loving suck.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Sloppy posted:

Roundguard is really fun and chill. Thanks for the recommendation - I was looking at this last night and couldnt see how it would be worth the price for peggle. Its a great level of engagement.

I finally stopped bouncing off Spirits Abyss https://store.steampowered.com/app/1078200/Spirits_Abyss/ . I really wanted to like it but kept getting mashed cos of the scan-lined NES style graphics, playing it in a window in crt-tube mode (yes really) I can actually get the gist of whats happening. It's great to play a Spelunky style game that is it's own entity, this is several of its own entities. It's really obtuse but looking forward to it opening up even more I unlocked a separate card-battle game/mode already ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DrNutt posted:

I guess if nothing else you can have a couple points for not describing it as "twee"
Let's be perfectly fair - LiS is extremely loving twee by any reasonable definition of the term.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAH9MlJZQlg