Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Agents are GO! posted:

No, he rides a chocobo, but does stunts and poo poo on it just like his bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BnZueY9QOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Out of curiosity does anybody here watch Yahtzee's game reviews? Because I'd forgotten he existed until youtube saw fit to recommend him for a review of this game and I got reminded what a miserable joyless oval office he is.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Flopsy posted:

Nomura boss fight has to have him in a body concealing black cloak at first. No exceptions.

I don't care if the next game is a text adventure, I will buy enough copies to build a house if this is true.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Out of curiosity does anybody here watch Yahtzee's game reviews? Because I'd forgotten he existed until youtube saw fit to recommend him for a review of this game and I got reminded what a miserable joyless oval office he is.

Not since like 2008 or so

It's amazing and frustrating how influential his "accentuate the negative" review style was.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Agents are GO! posted:

No, he rides a chocobo, but does stunts and poo poo on it just like his bike.

Fools! He rides the chocobo who is the one riding the bike.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Flopsy posted:

I sometimes watch them for game's I already finished. They get a few laughs out of me but I wouldn't recommend them at all as actual reviews. His DQ 11 review in particular is entirely exaggerating on the negative aspects and he didn't even finish the game.

e: speaking of youtube's recommended I got this guy pop up on my feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGjP4fHdJ_I

and I loved how excited he was admiring every little detail of the animations and slo-mos mid combat. can relate. game good.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 7, 2020

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
So I'm playing through the beginning of the original and in case anyone's curious, Cloud does insist on going after Sephiroth before they get to Kalm. It's literally just, "No, him going after the Promised Land is even worse!!!!" after they see Shinra dead, but there's no time to explain why until they leave. There's even a moment of "What do we do now?" when they get to the edge of the highway and Cloud says, "We go after Sephiroth."

Flopsy posted:

I saw it pop up in my recommendations and two things happend. The first is that I immediately became tired. The second is I thought, "Wait, he's still doing these?"

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 7, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

So I'm playing through the beginning of the original and in case anyone's curious, Cloud does insist on going after Sephiroth before they get to Kalm. It's literally just, "No, him going after the Promised Land is even worse!!!!" after they see Shinra dead, but there's no time to explain why until they leave. There's even a moment of "What do we do now?" when they get to the edge of the highway and Cloud says, "We go after Sephiroth."

I saw it pop up in my recommendations and two things happend. The first is that I immediately became tired. The second is I thought, "Wait, he's still doing these?"

I'd also like to add he's also wildly loving disgusting. I'm dead serious, one of the tangents that came out of him was so goddamned skin crawling I had to turn it off.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 7, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Flopsy posted:

I'd also like to add he's also wildly loving disgusting. I'm dead serious, one of the tangents that came out him was so goddamned skin crawling I had to turn it off.

Every woman who has a personality is apparently a "manic pixie dreamgirl". And it sounds like he literally never switched characters in combat.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

Every woman who has a personality is apparently a "manic pixie dreamgirl". And it sounds like he literally never switched characters in combat.

The man was straight up bitching about the actual OG plot points of FF7 during his critique of the remake. Like literally tooling on one of the most iconic scenes in video game history as a "lovely romantic setup" (Aerith and Cloud's second meeting)

I don't think this fucker understands what manic pixie dream girl even means.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

The man was straight up bitching about the actual OG plot points of FF7 during his critique of the remake. Like literally tooling on one of the most iconic scenes in video game history as a "lovely romantic setup" (Aerith and Cloud's second meeting)

:psyduck: ?????

T-The whole point of Aerith is that she doesn't act like a typical Mysterious Magical Chosen Maiden. She literally acts like a normal 22 year old woman who's friendly and has a unique sense of humor. She's the definition of Just Vibing. What??

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yahtzee is a wasteman

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

YouTube :airquote:Personality:airquote: actually dumb and tedious! Film at 11.

Edit: this post shouldn't go in the spoiler thread because everyone should fucken know this by now.

Edit the second: cue up the three page "well I like this other tedious assholes videos" derail.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 7, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

:psyduck: ?????

T-The whole point of Aerith is that she doesn't act like a typical Mysterious Magical Chosen Maiden. She literally acts like a normal 22 year old woman who's friendly and has a unique sense of humor. She's the definition of Just Vibing. What??

The first thing he made a point of doing is making GBS threads on every single female character relentlessly.

The second was not prefacing the review with the fact I don't think he played the original and if he did he hated it every second of it. It's really really strange to complain when a remake is being faithful to the game it was remade from.

Third and this where I checked the gently caress out Talking about how teenage fangirl thighs start dripping the moment Sephiroth appears on screen along with a lovely little avatar doing just that.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I wouldn't get so upset about a :airquote: comedy :airquote: reviewer whose entire schtick is making fun of stuff.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

I wouldn't get so upset about a :airquote: comedy :airquote: reviewer whose entire schtick is making fun of stuff.

I've been spoiled by Jim Sterling actually doing real reviews. I dunno what I expected but I don't remember Yahtzee being THIS vitriolic I remember he used to be positive about things once and a while but...Eeesh. Lesson learned I spose'.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Flopsy posted:

I've been spoiled by Jim Sterling actually doing real reviews. I dunno what I expected but I don't remember Yahtzee being THIS vitriolic I remember he used to be positive about things once and a while but...Eeesh. Lesson learned I spose'.

If you think this is bad, you can't imagine how bad Dunkey's "review" was. It was also super misogynistic.

But here's actually fun FF7R Youtube silly stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnkTI7bkfS4

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I distinctly remember one of Yahtzee's reviews from back in the day going "This actually isn't a bad game and I like it, but I'm not paid to say nice things, so here's the rest of the bit"

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

gross Yahtzee things

That is definitely a gross way to phrase that, but I think we, as a society, can make a lot of progress if we all just admit that Sephiroth makes everyone horny and stop pretending that it's just teenage girls. That seems like such a dated thing to say, but it's Yahtzee so yeah.

Schwartzcough posted:

I wouldn't either, I'm just surprised because I thought he stopped putting videos on Youtube. :shrug:

Anyway, enough!

https://twitter.com/ondoruragitan/status/1256546506196353026

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

That is definitely a gross way to phrase that, but I think we, as a society, can make a lot of progress if we all just admit that Sephiroth makes everyone horny and stop pretending that it's just teenage girls. That seems like such a dated thing to say, but it's Yahtzee so yeah.

FF7R has enormous disaster bi energy and Sephiroth is so goddamn blatant in game it's actually glorious and I'm absolutely here for it.

I guess it's just the context one puts that in and like I said at that point I'd had enough.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Flopsy posted:

To be fair:

"MPDGs are characters who have eccentric personality quirks and are unabashedly girlish. They invariably serve as the romantic interest for a (most often brooding or depressed) male protagonist."

Sounds like Aerith in this to me.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manic_Pixie_Dream_Girl

quote:

MPDGs are usually static characters who have eccentric personality quirks and are unabashedly girlish.

quote:

MPDGs are said to help their men without pursuing their own happiness, and such characters never grow up; thus, their men never grow up.

Like what part of this exactly do you think describes Aerith and her relationship with Cloud

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I haven't watched the guy in years but IIRC he made loads of attempts at making shows/projects that weren't 2008 flash animation rants but no one watched them.

He's really uniquely one note and poo poo, especially if you step back and look at what must now be 1000 near identical videos. I remember watching one of his 'non review' series a while back and he made some sort of disgusting quasi-alt right comment that turned me off of him completely. It was probably around the time GG was a thing.

stev fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 7, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Veib posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manic_Pixie_Dream_Girl

Like what part of this exactly do you think describes Aerith and her relationship with Cloud

I think manic pixie dream girl is a pretty reductive term and is very cliche, but you're delusional if you argue that Aerith doesn't have a tonne of MPDG character traits.

e: to be fair Rinoa blows Aerith out of the park when it comes to MPDG-ness though.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 7, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Necrothatcher posted:

To be fair:

"MPDGs are characters who have eccentric personality quirks and are unabashedly girlish. They invariably serve as the romantic interest for a (most often brooding or depressed) male protagonist."

Sounds like Aerith in this to me.

Necrothatcher posted:

I think manic pixie dream girl is a pretty reductive term and is very cliche, but you're delusional if you argue that Aerith doesn't have a tonne of MPDG character traits.

You really need to pay more attention to what and how Aerith is actually saying things, rather than just taking the surface read for granted.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I feel like people are very bad at describing Aerith as a character because she's so goddamn normal.

For real, first she's the pure, can-do-no-wrong innocent you must protect, and now she's a manic pixie dream girl despite having almost the exact same personality traits of "kind" and "not afraid to jerk you around if she thinks you're full of poo poo".

Like, what's actually quirky about her?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Alright, how about this. I think Aerith is an example of the manic pixie dream girl type done really well. A lot of her character in this is devoted to bringing a broody man out of his shell with extroverted displays of femininity and upbeat behaviour. But she does this without falling into the weird sexist cliches. Like, she clearly has thoughts and ambitions beyond Cloud.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The whole criticism around ~the manic pixie dreamgirl trope~ isn't that girls with quirky personalities exist, it's that the role they tend to play in fiction is teaching some dude a very valuable lesson about life or whatever instead of having distinct needs and desires of their own.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the only appropriate response to any attempts to categorize a character into a vague and meaningless archetype is a resounding "who cares"

if you're gonna criticize something maybe don't try to hide it so transparently behind ideas that aren't your own, you know

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I even think this definition is pretty fraught though because the examples people tend to bring up to illustrate this trope, like Clementine from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, are actually three-dimensional characters with their own desires.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

exquisite tea posted:

I even think this definition is pretty fraught though because the examples people tend to bring up to illustrate this trope, like Clementine from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, are actually three-dimensional characters with their own desires.

I've personally never encountered somebody using that particular trope to criticize a character that wasn't very obviously some misogynist upset that a woman is a character in a thing and trying to hide it behind something that they've assumed implicitly has critical value

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The wikipedia article the above definition was pulled from even brings up counterexamples as not MPDGs, and the coiner of the term has since apologized that the term got so broad as to actually encompass well-realized characters instead of just the flat wish-fulfillment they were supposed to describe.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I think one of Aeris' functions in the story, at first, is to be a "fantasy girl" for Cloud. But that illusion, like all others, starts to fade, because she's more than that, and Cloud's desires are coming from kind of a hosed up and unhealthy place. I think the setup and breakdown of this fairy tale love dynamic is instrumental to both of their characters.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i dont give a poo poo about any of this but aerith rules and i want her to be my friend and kick my rear end

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

sharrrk posted:

aerith rules and i want her to be my friend and kick my rear end

Extremely :same:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

sharrrk posted:

i dont give a poo poo about any of this but aerith rules and i want her to be my friend and kick my rear end

:yeah:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

sharrrk posted:

aerith rules and i want her to be my friend and kick my rear end

:hmmyes:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

stev posted:

I haven't watched the guy in years but IIRC he made loads of attempts at making shows/projects that weren't 2008 flash animation rants but no one watched them.

He's really uniquely one note and poo poo, especially if you step back and look at what must now be 1000 near identical videos. I remember watching one of his 'non review' series a while back and he made some sort of disgusting quasi-alt right comment that turned me off of him completely. It was probably around the game GG was a thing.

Oh yeaaahh....now I remember why I stopped watching him in the first place. He made some weird rear end statement about beating the poo poo out of SJW's or something--I don't know what the gently caress. Garbage man is garbage let's talk about how the ladies of FF7 are awesome instead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Beefstew posted:

I think one of Aeris' functions in the story, at first, is to be a "fantasy girl" for Cloud. But that illusion, like all others, starts to fade, because she's more than that, and Cloud's desires are coming from kind of a hosed up and unhealthy place. I think the setup and breakdown of this fairy tale love dynamic is instrumental to both of their characters.

A lot of her model design at a surface glance is clearly rooted in the old-fashioned damsel-in distress/Disney Princess archetypes. And then she pulls out a two-meter metal stick and crushes monster skulls with it for fun, while dragging Cloud along to go see what the next dangerous thing is so she can either crush its skull with her staff as well or set it on fire with magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Calling both Tifa and Aerith manic pixie dream girls is just :bahgawd:

One measure of a good set of characters is each having a goal that the audience understands by the end of this part of the story. Which we do, I think, even if we don't fully understand the motivations behind them yet.

Cloud was to hunt Sephiroth
Barret wants to protect the planet
Red wants to leave Midgar/tear out Hojo's throat
Tifa wants to use her strength to protect the new group she's found
Aerith wants to stop Sephiroth and get away from ShinRa.

Like, I don't fully know the motivation behind each of these yet but I have a clear understanding of each character as a fleshed out person.

One thing I noticed during my hard mode play through is that Tifa does react to Sephiroth in front of Jenova, by drawing away in fear. But she quickly hides that reaction, which I think is in line with where she is now.

gently caress, I want more of this remake.