Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Anno posted:

I don’t think Stalkers really excel at wracking up kills. They’re good at shooting single entities but they’re also amazing at just being a guard for your back line. Like leave 1 back with your artillery/ushabti/skeleton archers to intercept cav and flyers that attack them. I think there are few units in the game better at taking a braced charge and then crushing whatever charged them.

They can get pretty good kill counts if you can get them an angle to shoot into masses of infantry. I was using them as my front line last time I played Khalida, but I went with a nearly full ranged army. Caskets, tons of skeleton archers, and half a dozen stalkers functioning basically as skirmishers to screen the archers. Plus a couple of necro knights to provide some melee punch and support any stalkers that got caught up in unfavorable melee encounters.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hello friends, please click the link below and consider participating in my little charity event. We're all bored in lockdown right now so I thought we might be able to channel that into something a little more productive. I will be donating money to a food bank for every model completed in the next couple of months. All you have to do to participate is post pictures of your models though other options will be available for those who'd like to do more. It is somewhat focused on 28mm stuff, but there are other categories available and if your models aren't represented, just let me know and we can work something out.

Full details in the thread, click the banner below to find out more:

I hope y'all don't mind me posting this here too. I've just got a feeling some of y'all might have models laying around.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TheHoosier posted:

speaking of, i'm playing an Eshin Vortex campaign and it's incredibly satisfying to watch Repanse get brained by a Jezzails-WLC wombo combo while henri gets shanked to death by Snikch and his buddies

edit: i know it's kind of silly to field a jezzails AND WLC, but it felt thematic to have a jezzails in an assassin army. I run a warlock engineer to boost my gutter runners and I felt like he needed a friend, so he got to bring his WLC
Jezzails and Warp Lightning Cannons fill different roles so there is nothing wrong with bringing both!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

give greenskins a mechanic where when they retreat but dont get pushed off the map, a dozen or so guys come out and join the unit, to represent htem running away, talking aobut how there's a big fight, and then coming back to the fight

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The total war twitch channel is live and counting down to 10am eastern, with the graphic from yesterday's tweet as the background

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwar

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD9ceGA_fqA

Ere we go! (In 35 minutes and counting)

edit: beaten by the twitch channel post

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The more I think about it, the more I think their gimmick on the campaign map should be a combination of persistence and building up steam. Make all armies have some kind of buff tier that replaces the waagh mechanic. It fades over time and drops fast with losses and retreats. As you build up wins, replenishment goes up, maybe you get more automatic allies, and maybe eventually global recruitment becomes at first identical to local recruitment and then at the highest tier is instant and almost free. The higher you are the faster it drops so you've got to keep moving to keep your bonuses. Also, and this maybe is less fun, but I feel like Greenskin armies should inevitably fall apart at some point. So you also get a perpetually rising meter that gives rising attrition rates that will inevitably lead to that army's dissolution, but when it does gives you some amount of a faction resource that lets you pull out new rampaging armies faster. (Maybe this counter only starts after you hit, say, tier 3 of the above bonus) So instead of building permanent doomstacks, you'd build a series of armies that you send out to raid, pillage, and then fall apart due to infighting that you then use to upgrade your core rapidly and do it all again and with better armies. Something like the feel of Markus' campaign where building up to getting lots of supply drops also builds up to a doomstack coming your way, or the bonus/malus effects of the Sword of Khaine just applied to an army instead of a person.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
THE WARDEN AND THE PAUNCH

Coming out the 21st.

ed: They're going to do a Paunch playthrough next week; today's focus is supposedly on the Greenskin update, playing as Azhag, in his new startpos in Karak Ungor. No more fightiness bar, but there's a big meter at the top of the screen...

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 7, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
drat, can't believe this new DLC is just more Vampire Count lords.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
drat, that's a thick gobbo.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I was really hopeful for Vortex dwarfs to go opposite the Orks :(

Oh well, I've been holding off on an Ork playthrough until this revamp, so can get that done at least.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Hey, the Temperate land type is now Suitable.

AND THEY'RE DOING THE INVISIBLE SHADOW-ARMY THING PEOPLE TALKED ABOUT. 40-unit armies. Stack composition is mostly chaff, but is also based on local terrain somehow.

The extra 20 units are part of the army, but don't appear in the normal army list. In-battle they're under player control, though the player can nominate control groups to be AI-commanded.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 7, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
FLC will be Imrik, whoever that is. FAQ here with more rework details: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-ii-the-warden-the-paunch-faq/

E: and Steam page https://store.steampowered.com/app/1209120/Total_War_WARHAMMER_II__The_Warden__The_Paunch/

Mordja fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 7, 2020

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I love how Grom is just Immortan Joe

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
You can get a new resource, scrap, by fighting, and use it to permanently upgrade (individual) units. Certain unit upgrades are faction specific (i.e. only Azhag can get Wizardly Weapons, whatever that is).

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Prince Imrik is the last great noble of House Caledor. He's been in the setting for ages and to put it into perspective he's a guy that uses a lance when riding on a giant dragon.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Imrik, now that's a character I didn't expect to see.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

"How do we fix Greenskins?"

"Mad Max Fury Road."

"That's not really an ans-"

"MAD MAX FURY ROAD!"

Anyway I'm majorly stoked :allears:

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
These are probably three bad ideas to make the Greenskins a little more interesting.

Waaagh fightiness increases base unit size of the army in question. Instead of a second army following it around, the maximum number of fighters in a unit goes up - if there are, I don't know, 80 orcs in a unit by default, then with enough Waaagh that could go up to 100 or 120.

Maybe making it possible to control the direction of which way routing units retreat? Not really assign them orders, but have everyone retreat in one direction to regroup?

Let Greenskins colonize anywhere without penalty?

How much of that is feasible? I don't know. I don't even know if they are good ideas.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

quote:

Snotling Pump Wagons (Flappas)
Flappas are crude wings, attached to the side of the Pump Wagon, and flapped up and down by the actions of the crew. This allows the Pump Wagon to make short jumps as it bounces along.
Wonder how that'll work.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They've just confirmed Grom's ME start is in Massif Orcal; Imrik's is beyond the badlands, in that ocean near Malus and Snikch.

wait they just said Grom starts in the Badlands; I'm confused now

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 7, 2020

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Grom's so loving big :allears:

I don't think I've played orcs since early on in game one. I've been waiting for this rework for a long time. :dogcited:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Mordja posted:

Wonder how that'll work.

probably a button to jump over lines so you can shank into archers etc.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Krazyface posted:

They've just confirmed Grom's ME start is in Massif Orcal; Imrik's is beyond the badlands, in that ocean near Malus and Snikch.

Imrik being in THAT hell hole kind of surprises me but at the same time getting to take my elves with my boy Imrik and cut through a tide of rats, greenskins, tomb kings, the occasional lizardman and the dwarves if they get uppity is just fantastic. I don't have to fight any other elves once I kick Malus out. It's great!

I'm actually super stoked, with Repanse, Eltharion, Grom and Imrik in the game I have literally every character I wishlisted for this franchise in by game 2.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They've also indicated:
-New factions in the badlands (one vampire, several skaven)
-New tech tree and skill trees (not yet made public)
-Ordertide only happens 60-70% of the time, instead of 90% (this is not a joke, they actually said this)

edit: next stream Wednesday; independent TW streamers and youtubers will be releasing stuff before then

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 7, 2020

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Imrik starts in the Dragon Isles, so he’s instantly way more interesting as a FLC than if he was in Caledor. Power wise he should be pretty far up there just from Minaithnir alone.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'm not sure I'm liking these start pos

mostly because they're so distant, dwarves are just going to run through a mostly empty badlands

empire is gonna have a rougher time then usual with grom around too ofc.

better options for the player tho

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So High Elves get a new Archmage lord that can have Fire, Heavens, Death, Beasts, Metal, Life, Light, Shadows or High magic. That's kind of huge since currently Helves only have access to Life, Light and High with Teclis getting his own special mishmash.

Greenskins also get a new Troll hero that has access to Death magic which is interesting.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Krazyface posted:

They've also indicated:
-New factions in the badlands (one vampire, several skaven)

All aboard the badlands thunderdome.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
-Unlock a wide range of different ingredients from campaign exploration, and by meeting the Troll Hag Food Merchant.

I might have to play a Vortex campaign. gently caress.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Also I've been playing a lot of XCOM all over again so Eltharion's Vortex Campaign mechanic having the ability to catch lords and heroes in battle and take them back to his base (that he constructs over the course of the campaign) in order to "interrogate" them has me smiling.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Is a pump wagon just a chariot gameplay wise?

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009
I wish somebody had asked during the stream why these old race reworks never touch the trash tier blue line the lords for those races have

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’m hyped to see the Badlands reworked. That place sucks no matter what faction you’re playing.

Hopefully modders get to dig in to this unit upgrade mechanic and go wild with it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Angry Lobster posted:

All aboard the badlands thunderdome.
I want the Badlands to be at least half the clusterfuck Lustria is.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's about drat time.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Anno posted:

I’m hyped to see the Badlands reworked. That place sucks no matter what faction you’re playing.

Hopefully modders get to dig in to this unit upgrade mechanic and go wild with it.

Its pretty obvious this system is gonna eventually be used to give Chaos their marked units so look forward to that

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I'm guessing one more DLC after this, Welfs v.Beastmen and then a complete Chaos rework in game 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Krazyface posted:

wait they just said Grom starts in the Badlands; I'm confused now
I think he starts in the little bit of the Badlands we get on Vortex; in ME he starts in Massif Orcal.

Mordja posted:

So I'm guessing one more DLC after this, Welfs v.Beastmen and then a complete Chaos rework in game 3?
We still need playable Dwarfs, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves, and Beastmen in Vortex.

My guess is that it will be Dwarfs vs Vampire Counts because then they would not be DLC for DLC and would be pulling a Marcus Wolfheart (I think I mis-spelled his name?) by adding a game 1 LL to the game 2 map.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 7, 2020