Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Thanks for the clarifications, guys. I think I'll give Aradune a shot when it launches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So LDoN just released on Mangler. Is there anything specific I should know (especially as an Enchanter) about it? I haven’t messed with LDoN since my first time playing EQ like 20 years ago.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I’m pretty sure LDoN is as simple as looking at the merchants and deciding if there is anything you want. At the very least I assume there are a couple decent spells you’ll want. LDoN is ridiculously boring and I ignored it as much as possible but ended up grinding a bunch of the stupid things for augs and spot upgrades for friends.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Happy Hedonist posted:

I’m pretty sure LDoN is as simple as looking at the merchants and deciding if there is anything you want. At the very least I assume there are a couple decent spells you’ll want. LDoN is ridiculously boring and I ignored it as much as possible but ended up grinding a bunch of the stupid things for augs and spot upgrades for friends.

Eh, I think it’ll be a nice change of pace from sitting at C2 in Plane of Fire every day.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

So I’m working on a private server with the intent of having progression stop at pop. I know aradune had intentionally had that rule set but it seems they remove that. If anyone is interested in testing post in the goon p99 discord:

https://discord.gg/aHjbmU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Old school (10+ years ago) player coming back to EQ with a question: I have two level 85 characters and I read something about how you can use a shroud functionality to go back and complete old content as if you were that level, but gain experience for your level. Does that mean that I can use a shroud and play content from say level 45 but it gives me experience at 85? If so, are there any comprehensive "how to shroud" guides you can recommend so I can understand what I am doing and how it works?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

nawledgelambo posted:

Hi. This comes roughly 4 hours prior to the new TLP announcement, so funny that this has become a thing, in any case, I'll post it here anyway if anyone's interested, and I'm not interested in playing on any other server.

Agnarr, specifically Charge the Lair will be running a fresh level 1 to 65 (re)progression run. What does that mean? Most, or all of us are running brand new characters and moving back through group level and eventually, raid content. We have many people on board, so groups will be plentiful and plenty to do. If you are looking for a round two so to speak on Agnarr, we'd love to have you.

I set up a basic "rule" set. It isn't necessarily enforced, but it's meant to keep it a level playing field to challenge the new characters. If you want to move past it, it's your prerogative I suppose, but takes away some of the fun of challenging ourselves to the content available. Here it is as follows:

You may twink your new character with 1 or 2 items, maximum.

No power-leveling

No powergaming (i.e., rolling an enchanter between friends, or multiple, along with a wizard and cleric.)

You CAN box, but make a concerted effort to not group them. We have plenty of new people in the guild and on the server now where everyone should be getting groups. If you can't fill the spot, or things are dicey without a certain class, don't let it hinder you.

PLEASE don't be clique-y. Again, with a bunch of new people in guild and on the server, find someone you haven't grouped with before.

DON'T RUSH THIS! This is an attempt to make this server a fun-run. Don't speed level, and just enjoy having all of these players around.

---------------------------------

ADDENDUMS: Raid level content will be done on THURSDAYS in conjunction with offnight things for current mains. If it becomes too much of conflict, we can move them to Fridays. Once we have them in that 60ish range, we'll start with classic and kunark dragons, and do a few rounds, and slowly move into Velious, Luclin and PoP.

How is this re-progression going on Agnarr? I have a couple chars from the last time I played and it was a lot of fun. I dunno if I'd want to box again but leveling might be fun.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Anyone playing on Aradune when it comes out?

Lackloss
May 8, 2008
I'm planning on playing a shaman when aradune opens

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Will be playing on Aradune. Probably going to roll cleric main for the nostalgia, not sure if/what I'll box besides it. Would prefer to just play one character, but clerics are helpless by their own, and before the later expansions also rather sedate in playstyle.

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01

ist fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 3, 2023

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Got bit by the nostalgia bug since I played EQ very very casually during the Ruins of Kunark era in 9th grade and figured a new progression server would be a good time to get my kicks. Did play a very little bit a couple years ago, too.

Until the new servers are live, I rolled a Human SK on Mangler and, uh, suppose I'll need to remember to Con every NPC I come across and avoid the southern zone line between East and West FP :negative:

When did they change Freeport, anyway? I definitely remember it did not look like this back in the day.

Anyway I guess I'll stab rats and poo poo and run around until I get bored. While I appreciate the conveniences and super flashy content of modern MMOs, I have kinda missed the sense of exploration you get in old games like EQ.

Don't plan on boxing so a new server with active low level groups is definitely appealing to me.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Freeport was redone during PoR, an expac based around Freeport/Ro. New FP sucks. Old FP sucked too, but it sucked less. No way to revert.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I might just hang out in Qeynos instead, as soon as I outlevel the jerk beggar in the sewers who's aggro to me. I'd go to Neriak but while the Dark Elves are cool with me, the Ghouls in the Third Quarter are, for some reason, KOS :smith:

EDIT: Assuming the Bertoxxulous Bros don't hate me

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 19, 2020

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

FrostyPox posted:

I might just hang out in Qeynos instead, as soon as I outlevel the jerk beggar in the sewers who's aggro to me. I'd go to Neriak but while the Dark Elves are cool with me, the Ghouls in the Third Quarter are, for some reason, KOS :smith:

EDIT: Assuming the Bertoxxulous Bros don't hate me

Go to Plane of Knowledge. The book is just outside the West Freeport gate, to the left around the wall.

Plane of knowledge doesn’t have factions, you can buy spells in the library, there are tradeskill vendors for all the trade skills, single door access to the bazaar, and soon enough, the guild hall.

Trust me, you’ll never look back. Origin exists as a 3 minute gate to get back to PoK if you don’t have an OT hammer or Gate potions.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

koreban posted:

Go to Plane of Knowledge. The book is just outside the West Freeport gate, to the left around the wall.

Plane of knowledge doesn’t have factions, you can buy spells in the library, there are tradeskill vendors for all the trade skills, single door access to the bazaar, and soon enough, the guild hall.

Trust me, you’ll never look back. Origin exists as a 3 minute gate to get back to PoK if you don’t have an OT hammer or Gate potions.

Oh. Or I'll just do that, that's a lot more convenient. Thanks!

E: This is actually great, I'm just going to each race's city seeing who does and does not want me dead, lol. I'm actually surprised at how many places are safe for me, thought for sure that Felwithe and Kelethin would've been off limits. Everywhere else is more or less as expected. Trolls, Ogres, Dwarves, Gnomes, and Halflings are not friends. Also Iksar but IIRC Iksar hate everyone

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 19, 2020

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
PM or post your name here or find me on Ruin when I’m on. I’ll get you set up with some decent twink gear to get rolling with and cash to cover the cost of spells for the first 50 or so levels.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm Frostypox in game.

Thanks!

I've been kind of wondering how you go about gearing up, anyway; drops seem to be quite uncommon and vendor gear is expensive. A chainmail shirt is double-digit platinum pieces.

E: I guess there's the armor quest from the SK trainer but I can't get the drops yet cuz I'm not high enough level. Ah well, I won't worry about it

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 19, 2020

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

FrostyPox posted:

I'm Frostypox in game.

I sent you some armor and a couple weapons in parcel. If you go to the main bank in PoK (where the pile of afk people are, there’s an NPC inside that has a (Parcels and General Supplies) under their name. Right-click them and go over to the parcel tab. You should be able to click on the items and retrieve them.

quote:

Thanks!

You’re welcome.

quote:

I've been kind of wondering how you go about gearing up, anyway; drops seem to be quite uncommon and vendor gear is expensive. A chainmail shirt is double-digit platinum pieces.

E: I guess there's the armor quest from the SK trainer but I can't get the drops yet cuz I'm not high enough level. Ah well, I won't worry about it

This was a big complaint early on in EQ and eventually they address it by putting a common dropping scaling level armor set called Defiant into the game, however, it’s not in yet.

In classic era, people bee-line for banded crafted armor and then hit farm camps they’ve known about for years until they can farm planar and dragon drops. After that, most people twink out on tradable gear.

This is a very long way of saying the following: the game design in the classic era zones assumes you don’t have fantastic armors and weapons, and is scaled as such. Later expansion newbie areas generally stick to that, with a notable exception of Luclin zones (because that expansion was a whole different mess with mob HP and AC values across the board). The stuff I sent you plus some drops you’ll pick up along the way should last you easily into your 30s-40s.

I would recommend grouping and socializing with folks, join a guild, ask for help. EQ is a social game and bootstraps are for kronolords and those of us who have been doing this for a half dozen or more TLP generations.

I just resubbed this last weekend and my character’s been sitting since classic, so unfortunately I don’t have more I can send right now.

I’m happy to help out whenever I can and answer any questions you’ve got.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

They consolidated the necro dots with today's patch so I expect them to be a lot more popular on the new servers next week.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Republicans posted:

They consolidated the necro dots with today's patch so I expect them to be a lot more popular on the new servers next week.

Fuckers would do this after I quit. drat!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

onesixtwo posted:

Fuckers would do this after I quit. drat!

May have spoke too soon, looks like it's only for post-PoP era spells.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

koreban posted:

I sent you some armor and a couple weapons in parcel. If you go to the main bank in PoK (where the pile of afk people are, there’s an NPC inside that has a (Parcels and General Supplies) under their name. Right-click them and go over to the parcel tab. You should be able to click on the items and retrieve them.

You’re welcome.

This was a big complaint early on in EQ and eventually they address it by putting a common dropping scaling level armor set called Defiant into the game, however, it’s not in yet.

In classic era, people bee-line for banded crafted armor and then hit farm camps they’ve known about for years until they can farm planar and dragon drops. After that, most people twink out on tradable gear.

This is a very long way of saying the following: the game design in the classic era zones assumes you don’t have fantastic armors and weapons, and is scaled as such. Later expansion newbie areas generally stick to that, with a notable exception of Luclin zones (because that expansion was a whole different mess with mob HP and AC values across the board). The stuff I sent you plus some drops you’ll pick up along the way should last you easily into your 30s-40s.

I would recommend grouping and socializing with folks, join a guild, ask for help. EQ is a social game and bootstraps are for kronolords and those of us who have been doing this for a half dozen or more TLP generations.

I just resubbed this last weekend and my character’s been sitting since classic, so unfortunately I don’t have more I can send right now.

I’m happy to help out whenever I can and answer any questions you’ve got.

Thanks for the help.

General question for the thread, are people here planning on playing on the new TLP server(s) once they launch?

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
A few people here are on Selo. We are not rerolling, because having done classic before... it sucks.

There are people that just like doing launch rushes.

There are people who like stacking kronos (some/many to rmt)

There are people that quit back in 2002 and just refuse to ever play past it because they fear leaving their nostalgia bubble.

If you have never done a TLP, the new ones will probably be fun. Just be aware that 3 months is a LONG rear end TIME between expacs.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

FranktheBank posted:

A few people here are on Selo. We are not rerolling, because having done classic before... it sucks.

There are people that just like doing launch rushes.

There are people who like stacking kronos (some/many to rmt)

There are people that quit back in 2002 and just refuse to ever play past it because they fear leaving their nostalgia bubble.

If you have never done a TLP, the new ones will probably be fun. Just be aware that 3 months is a LONG rear end TIME between expacs.

I honestly don't mind the wait for expansions, I plan on playing relatively casually since I'm playing a couple of other games at the moment, too. Honestly if I manage to hit 50 before RoK drops on Aradune or whatever I'll be impressed with myself.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

So as someone who's interested in giving EQ a bit of a torusim gander to see what it was/is all about, would a TLP server be more of a "authentic" experience or should I just play on live and go back and solo everything for the atmosphere?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

FranktheBank posted:

Note that for non-leveling increases it's 2 months long.

2-3 months, once you're in modern expacs, feels about right. Some actually feel too quick. Especially with the currency fix in place now it's really not bad - there were some that felt too fast if you were trying to at least get most of your gear to be in-era.

However, those early expacs....yeah, 3 months can feel quite long. Especially with how garbage EQ's early items are. Before you get into like...Velious and HoT gear, 90% of the gear is lovely garbage.

All that matters are epics, and for melee, weapons and a haste item. I'm sure there's a random item here or there that also doesn't suck, but the rest of the game is really about buffs and usable clickies, until those later Velious raids.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

nyttyn posted:

So as someone who's interested in giving EQ a bit of a torusim gander to see what it was/is all about, would a TLP server be more of a "authentic" experience or should I just play on live and go back and solo everything for the atmosphere?

It depends how interested you are and what your intentions are. If you're genuinely interested in the history and want to progress through the expansions, then TLP may be best.

If you've never played EQ then you should definitely play on live for a bit.

TLPs are close to original release but are not "authentic". Everyone knows everything now so the experience is different. Ignoring the min/max powergamers the actual content is close/identical to original content.

Live servers will have less low levels and groups, but mercs and boxes are more available. The gear is also powerful so you'll solo better in most cases.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Arae posted:

It depends how interested you are and what your intentions are. If you're genuinely interested in the history and want to progress through the expansions, then TLP may be best.

If you've never played EQ then you should definitely play on live for a bit.

TLPs are close to original release but are not "authentic". Everyone knows everything now so the experience is different. Ignoring the min/max powergamers the actual content is close/identical to original content.

Live servers will have less low levels and groups, but mercs and boxes are more available. The gear is also powerful so you'll solo better in most cases.

Okay, gotcha. I'll give live a go then since I've never touched it before, thank you!

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Personally I feel like the TLP's are a much nicer experience for a new player than live.. if you start on live you ARE going to solo.. and everquest is a loving GARBAGE solo game. I'd say roll up on one of the new TLP's when they start (not day 1 ideally - you'll run into the worst of the powergame crowd then), start a high elf / wood elf + troll around gfay, group up on orc hill, do some crushbone.. way more fun than stepping onto a live server and the clusterfuck of stuff that gets thrown at you there.

I mean, I guess live does have the tutorial, and you at least get a mercenary so you aren't 1 character vs the world, but good fuckin luck grouping up with anyone

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

There’s absolutely no question, a TLP is the way to go for a new player. EQ is a social game and you will have so much more fun running around with a thousand low level players than being alone for 80+ levels.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I’m going to go against the grain here and suggest that for a nostalgia tour, you’re better off on Live. The merc alone will get you through most of not all of the old zones you may want to visit with minimal hassle.

Now, if you want to actually relive the good ol’ days, (sitting around for an hour spamming LFG and all), TLP will get you 99% of the way there, no questions.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I'd put it down to how many months you want to be subbed. TLPs are the slow and social tour over 3-9 months. Live is the solo and fast tour that you might not need to sub for at all. I'll vouch for TLPs being really fun if you have time to burn on leveling up, the classic start TLP is a great experience the first few times

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Man the armor and weapons koreban sent me make a pretty big difference. Definitely gonna do a bit more grinding and try to find a group for Befallen. I have vague memories of running around that place and then falling through a false floor with my group mates and eating poo poo because the stuff down there was like five levels or something higher than the stuff on the main level, lol.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

koreban posted:

I’m going to go against the grain here and suggest that for a nostalgia tour, you’re better off on Live. The merc alone will get you through most of not all of the old zones you may want to visit with minimal hassle.

Now, if you want to actually relive the good ol’ days, (sitting around for an hour spamming LFG and all), TLP will get you 99% of the way there, no questions.

On Live you're just sightseeing though. The whole point of the game is to go through it with other people.

One more week till Aradune. Still not sure about what I'm going to play.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

As a pretty-much complete newbie, I'm not sure which class I wanna play on Aradune, either.

I was thinking Magician or Necro cuz summoning stuff and melting faces is cool, or Monk or Rogue because I'm interested in seeing how melee classes work in this game

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Thinking about doing Aradune with my girlfriend, who played a tiny bit of wow (like level 10 (with me)). Gonna let her pick what she wants to play and then I'll pick something to complement it. But hoping for some kind of int caster combo, or bard/druid or maybe shaman+something.

Is kunark going to open at release or is this a pure classic start?

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Classic start, 3 month unlocks.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

So much m really looking at Nec/Mag, Brd/Dru, Human Monk/Barb Shm, Cle/Enc or Shm/Shd.

Any combos that could be cool that I'm forgetting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

FrostyPox posted:

As a pretty-much complete newbie, I'm not sure which class I wanna play on Aradune, either.

I was thinking Magician or Necro cuz summoning stuff and melting faces is cool, or Monk or Rogue because I'm interested in seeing how melee classes work in this game

If you play a rogue on TLP you're going to have a bad time. In Classic they're just low DPS so you'll spend hours LFG. Of those, Nec/Monk are the strongest and magicians are fairly rare but still decent.