Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jarmak posted:

Do you really not understand the difference between a fact and an opinion and that presenting one as the other is a lie?

Moreover that you're drawing implications of those words and then presenting your implications as the explicit words means a rational observer would then draw implications off those statements as if the person actually said them?

This is how propaganda works.

can anyone make heads or trails of this? particularly sentence 2 which appears to be 3 dollar words strung together nonsensically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

He's not supporting a coup he's just supporting the guy funding a coup, can't you idiots appreciate nuance

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Raskolnikov38 posted:

can anyone make heads or trails of this? particularly sentence 2 which appears to be 3 dollar words strung together nonsensically

That guy Jarnak disappeared yesterday when I pointed out that his claim that the far-right had completely lost all their power was easily disproven by how powerful the republicans had become since Obama became president.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he just disappears again until tomorrow or something.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Mellow Seas posted:

Again, you can just say "Biden supports Venezuelan opposition leader who attempted Coup" instead of "Biden and Trump are SINGING IN UNISON that the only solution to Maduro's regime is BLOOD, BLOOD, BLOOD!" The latter is just saying the former with a ton of editorializing.

What’s the issue with that though? This is debate and discussion, not a feed of completely unquestionable facts. If you think they’re wrong that Biden and trump share the same goals, have a discussion about it

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Biden never voted to invade Iraq, he voted to support the president of America

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jarmak posted:

That's insane, the group responsible for the bay of pigs was the united states

So no, adding "we must support the US" to that sentence does not make it mean that.

Saying that makes it mean that, trying to claim someone said something because you're reading between the lines is not honest no matter how right or wrong the analysis is.

Here's a more accurate comparison:

Imagine if, during the Vietnam War, someone put out a statement that said, "The actions of the Vietcong are troubling, we must stand with the United States." That would, 100%, be a statement in support of the Vietnam War.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mellow Seas posted:

Again, you can just say "Biden supports Venezuelan opposition leader who attempted Coup" instead of "Biden and Trump are SINGING IN UNISON that the only solution to Maduro's regime is BLOOD, BLOOD, BLOOD!" The latter is just saying the former with a ton of editorializing.

By the same token, the former just restates the later with even more editorializing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

the latter is also the more accurate headline

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Has Biden or any of his surrogates commented on the recent coup attempt or is he just pretending not to have noticed? I saw his comments from last year about the "Restoring Democracy" stuff, which is lib speak for a full-scale invasion once they can generate an appropriate casus belli, but I haven't seen any statements about what happened a few days ago.

Seems like it should be a bigger deal but naturally the national media has decided that it's a ho-hum tale, nothing to see here while they talk endlessly about COVID.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Or it's like claiming that when Trump said there were fine people on both sides of Charlottesville, that he was supporting neo-Nazis

He only said fine people were there, you don't know what he meant by that!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Seems like it should be a bigger deal but naturally the national media has decided that it's a ho-hum tale, nothing to see here while they talk endlessly about COVID.

Yeah, why are they talking about a global loving pandemic that's killed thousands, it makes no sense!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

yronic heroism posted:

A white guy getting told by a phone call from another white guy to vote Bernie

yronic heroism posted:

For example, I know exactly zero Bernie supporters in real life or even Facebook
Uh-huh.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Has Biden or any of his surrogates commented on the recent coup attempt or is he just pretending not to have noticed? I saw his comments from last year about the "Restoring Democracy" stuff, which is lib speak for a full-scale invasion once they can generate an appropriate casus belli, but I haven't seen any statements about what happened a few days ago.

The price of oil has plummeted to the point where the invasion is no longer profitable.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The price of oil has plummeted to the point where the invasion is no longer profitable.

couping venezuela was always about how chavez and maduro flipped the bird to american imperialism otherwise we would have invaded decades ago when caldera nationalized the oil in the 70s

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Jarmak posted:

Love how we've gone fully down the CHUD route of sensationalist headlines based on a disingenuous read of an out of context quote gets quoted on twitter as "news agencies are saying this"

So what is the direct quote and what did it really mean?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1123368849347371008

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

Let me guess, you’re going to try this same line out next time someone brings up the Iraq War too. “When Biden was helping W lead the nation to war, it’s you’re a lying liar to say Biden supported W’s war in Iraq, he wanted a different war with way better results”

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also lol at this av, if you’re mad about me posting critiques of Biden, you’re going to be in for a rough time.

Let me guess, you’ve spent more on Avs than you’ve donated to Biden, right?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
All of these avatars are just confirming that Biden supporters are stupid assholes with too much money.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Homeless Friend posted:

So what is the direct quote and what did it really mean?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1123368849347371008

:stare: is he...just casually eating an ice cream cone while calling for the blood of more innocent people that happened to be born in a region with a lot of petroleum? What party is this guy running in?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

COVID-19 posted:

:stare: is he...just casually eating an ice cream cone while calling for the blood of more innocent people that happened to be born in a region with a lot of petroleum? What party is this guy running in?

an American one

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

couping venezuela was always about how chavez and maduro flipped the bird to american imperialism otherwise we would have invaded decades ago when caldera nationalized the oil in the 70s

I wouldn't be surprised if we actually tried, failed, and never got caught.

I have to say, this is definitely one of the better things about having Trump as president. Can you imagine an actually competent commander in chief trying this poo poo? Like, the whole operation reeks of idiocy. These are some cheap, washed up middle-aged mercenaries NOT named Snake Pliskin. They got caught in seemingly broad loving day light. Did the military flat out refuse to do this with their own people out of spite? Did Trump suggest outsourcing this nonsense to the lowest bidder?

If Biden were in charge of this poo poo, it might actually get accomplished, there might actually be a massive power vacuum to be filled by the fascist of the week.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

COVID-19 posted:

Joe Biden has been a terrible arm of imperialist horseshit his entire life. He’s also a rapist, a liar, and a documented plagiarist.

This is the best we can do apparently, in order for the country to heal.

:suicide:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Lol so the dems are basically promising war against Venezuela and China at this point

Probably Iran as well since most of the politicians the dems recruit nowadays are spooks and jarheads and overthrowing Iran has been the end goal of American foreign policy since the fall of the Soviets

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if we actually tried, failed, and never got caught.

I have to say, this is definitely one of the better things about having Trump as president. Can you imagine an actually competent commander in chief trying this poo poo? Like, the whole operation reeks of idiocy. These are some cheap, washed up middle-aged mercenaries NOT named Snake Pliskin. They got caught in seemingly broad loving day light. Did the military flat out refuse to do this with their own people out of spite? Did Trump suggest outsourcing this nonsense to the lowest bidder?

If Biden were in charge of this poo poo, it might actually get accomplished, there might actually be a massive power vacuum to be filled by the fascist of the week.

Yeah its this, at least Trump is too incompetent and lazy to actually start a war and the couple times he got close (North Korea and Iran) he was successfully talked down (by Kim Jong Un himself, lol, and by his own cabinet and military which thankfully successfully downplayed the retaliatory Iranian missile attack)

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 7, 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

COVID-19 posted:

sir sir sir! he never called for anyone's blood at all!

he just meant he'd like to cordially invite Maduro to sit down with him and Corn Pop and hash out this whole ball of yarn like civilized men, no more malarkey

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

Lol so the dems are basically promising war against Venezuela and China at this point

Probably Iran as well since most of the politicians the dems recruit nowadays are spooks and jarheads and overthrowing Iran has been the end goal of American foreign policy since the fall of the Soviets

Yeah its this, at least Trump is too incompetent and lazy to actually start a war and the couple times he got close (North Korea and Iran) he was successfully talked down (by Kim Jong Un himself, lol, and by his own cabinet and military which thankfully successfully downplayed the retaliatory Iranian missile attack)
Juche Thought remains the only revolutionary ideology capable of resisting the demon cracker empire.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Willo567 posted:

Yeah, why are they talking about a global loving pandemic that's killed thousands, it makes no sense!

There are 24 hours in a day, they don't need to reserve all 24 for COVID. The media and the campaign ignoring a coup attempt in a South American nation that seems to have had at least tacit approval from the US government seems like a problem, and Biden's silence on it makes it seem like a problem he intends to continue.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Well it might not be profitable for Exxon but it would be profitable for Lockheed, so I guess it's a question of who is closer to Biden these days.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Trabisnikof posted:

Let me guess, you’re going to try this same line out next time someone brings up the Iraq War too. “When Biden was helping W lead the nation to war, it’s you’re a lying liar to say Biden supported W’s war in Iraq, he wanted a different war with way better results”

Biden supported W's war in Iraq.

Now, if somebody said "Biden Gives Bush Handjob While Cheering On Deaths of Savage Brown People and Stealing Oil" I might say they should try expressing that in a couple of paragraphs instead of one psuedo-factual statement.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

Now, if somebody said "Biden Gives Bush Handjob While Cheering On Deaths of Savage Brown People and Stealing Oil" I might say they should try expressing that in a couple of paragraphs instead of one psuedo-factual statement.

the only part of that sentence that isn't provably true is the handjob part, and Biden has issues with consent so it can't be ruled out either

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Mellow Seas posted:

I wouldn’t say “Biden gave a handjob to Bush” in reality it would be “Biden forced himself on poor W and also supports the genocide of the people of Iraq”

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

if we expand handjob to being metaphorical it’s still true albeit not literally

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Mellow Seas posted:

Why go all :words: when you can accurately and succinctly boil everything down to a simple sentence?

Besides Biden's been all about giving Repubs a reacharound so that sentence looks like 100% facts to me.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Edit: Whoops, trying out extension for chrome and hosed it up. Ignore me.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

COVID-19 posted:

I wouldn’t say “Biden gave a handjob to Bush” in reality it would be “Biden forced himself on poor W and also supports the genocide of the people of Iraq”

See, "Biden supported invasion of Iraq" is a fact. "Biden supported disastrous invasion of Iraq that killed hundreds of thousands", pretty much a fact, although "disastrous" is more of a universally-shared opinion. "Biden wanted a genocide of the Iraqi people" is an analysis, one you probably have good reasons for putting forth, but it's not a fact, because Joe Biden never said he wanted genocide in Iraq, and I sincerely doubt he's ever expressed a desire for any genocide, ever. Also, no genocides have been carried out in Iraq, despite the factual mass death.

This doesn't mean that Joe Biden doesn't support genocide, per se, but if you respond to the argument "Trump will start a war with Iran" with "Joe Biden loves genocide" I don't think it's terribly unfair to ask you to show your work a little bit.

In C-SPAM, where shitposting is mandatory and everybody agrees on everything, go nuts.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

All of these avatars are just confirming that Biden supporters are stupid assholes with too much money.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

COVID-19 posted:

The Democrats have been an explicitly pro war party for the entirety of my living memory. They handed out instructions during the 2016 convention where they told people to drown out protestors chanting "No More War" with chants of "USA! USA!"

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's pretty funny to see a centrist buying avatars considering half the liberals in D&D have a derogatory custom title, and half of those are that idiotic "Corn Cobb Man" thing.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Mellow Seas posted:

See, "Biden supported invasion of Iraq" is a fact. "Biden supported disastrous invasion of Iraq that killed hundreds of thousands", pretty much a fact, although "disastrous" is more of a universally-shared opinion. "Biden wanted a genocide of the Iraqi people" is an analysis, one you probably have good reasons for putting forth, but it's not a fact, because Joe Biden never said he wanted genocide in Iraq, and I sincerely doubt he's ever expressed a desire for any genocide, ever. Also, no genocides have been carried out in Iraq, despite the factual mass death.

This doesn't mean that Joe Biden doesn't support genocide, per se, but if you respond to the argument "Trump will start a war with Iran" with "Joe Biden loves genocide" I don't think it's terribly unfair to ask you to show your work a little bit.

In C-SPAM, where shitposting is mandatory and everybody agrees on everything, go nuts.

The war in Iraq was a genocide. Biden supported the war in Iraq. Therefore, Biden supports the genocide of the people of Iraq.

Just because he didn’t say the words “I desire a genocide in Iraq” doesn’t mean he’s innocent.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Mellow Seas posted:

I suppose, but since dead people are no more or less dead because Joe Biden doesn't remember killing them, I don't see any reason to get hung up on Joe Biden's feelings about the war crimes he committed.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The US had a massive military presence in Iraq for over a decade and only killed like 3% of the people there, I think if their goal was "genocide" they did a poo poo job of it. "Genocide" means something and it doesn't mean "shittily-executed war against people of a different ethnicity".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

"Disastrous" is definitely a fact, if you compare the results of the invasion to its stated objectives