Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

CoronaVirus is capitalism's greatest invention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

THROMBO

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
I've been trying to find articles about just how well reopening is going for businesses, but other than one about a coalition of Georgia restaurants remaining closed and the Bad Axe Throwing place getting two customers all weekend (lol) there's almost nothing else. Any goons want to report anecdotal friends-and-neighbors sentiment on going back to Applebee's?

For my part, here in KC most businesses are open again. The mayor's 10/10/10 plan (10% capacity or 10 people allowed in the store, with voluntary information taken from people who stay more than 10 minutes) allows for everything to open back up by the 15th, although I've gotten emails from several restaurants saying they won't open until they're allowed to at 50%. I'm in a pretty liberal group both personally and at work, somewhat unusual for being stuck on the border of two red states, and I don't know anybody who is eager to get back out to a restaurant or the theater. I'm sure I'm in my own little bubble ideologically speaking but I also know I'm not alone, which is why I'm curious about the numbers businesses are doing in areas that are partially or fully reopening.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dark Age Death

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Samsquamsch posted:

I've been trying to find articles about just how well reopening is going for businesses, but other than one about a coalition of Georgia restaurants remaining closed and the Bad Axe Throwing place getting two customers all weekend (lol) there's almost nothing else. Any goons want to report anecdotal friends-and-neighbors sentiment on going back to Applebee's?

I have a friend that I'm sure is going to go to the bar within the first week of it opening. A couple weeks ago she tried to get me to come over, and I was like "nope, don't wanna risk the 'rona."

I have a boomer coworker who upon seeing me shave my head, informed me that he has an appointment to get a hair cut for the 15th.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Samsquamsch posted:

For my part, here in KC most businesses are open again. The mayor's 10/10/10 plan (10% capacity or 10 people allowed in the store, with voluntary information taken from people who stay more than 10 minutes) allows for everything to open back up by the 15th, although I've gotten emails from several restaurants saying they won't open until they're allowed to at 50%. I'm in a pretty liberal group both personally and at work, somewhat unusual for being stuck on the border of two red states, and I don't know anybody who is eager to get back out to a restaurant or the theater. I'm sure I'm in my own little bubble ideologically speaking but I also know I'm not alone, which is why I'm curious about the numbers businesses are doing in areas that are partially or fully reopening.

The little google live "how busy is this place" bars on Maps show a lot of fast food places near normal busy-ness around atlanta but dine-in chains less busy than average for rn? I don't know how meaningful those graphs are but its sth

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Just got an email, all of engineering is back in the office starting the 18th. WFH was fun for a whole month.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

*sick guitar riffs*
*george thorogood voice*
BEANS FROM THE BOG
BEANS FROM THE BOG
B-B-B-B-BEANS
BEANS FROM THE BOG

*Nathan Explosion voice*
BOG BEANS
BOG BEANS
BOG BEANS
BOG BEANS

kater
Nov 16, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

Ahead of The Grand Re-opening, Danish Health Authority likely overestimated number of asymptomatic infections by a factor of four. Models are kept classified despite heavy criticism, but a group of independent experts were allowed a peek at them and were horrified.

Utterly useless, leftmost party in parliament responded by, in so many words, saying at least it's the Social Democrats that are in charge, that "has probably saved lives". Right until it didn't.

the ‘so many asymptomatics!’ and ‘we all got it last fall!’ are the same sort of fairy tale solutions that want to wish reality away. there are just so many people in the world and it’s impossible for people to understand that so many have gotten sick but there’s just so many many more people.

things have been mostly positive! it can be contained! people are containing it! even where it was incredibly bad, doing what works works. but that same inability to process numbers swings both ways. it isn’t a few dozen idiots protesting that is going to cause spread, it’s everyone collectively feeling like maybe it’s okay to go interact with others a few more times a week. shopping, working, whatever. cthis thing spreads fast slowly and it is just agonizing.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
bird talk: had some screech owls nest up in a tree across the street and they are real loving cute

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Plank Walker posted:

bird talk: had some screech owls nest up in a tree across the street and they are real loving cute

:3:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hell yeah

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
:pisstape:

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

should happen to all cars parked in front of loading docks imo

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Plank Walker posted:

owls are p. weird dinosaurs when u think about it

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think people who are mystified at why chuds are so up in arms about restaurant and salon closures have never lived in the south, or really any deeply racially divided area.

chuds are all white supremacists at the bottom, and what they want more than anything is reassurance that they occupy the dominant racial caste. the end of de jure segregation and the rise of black and brown cultural tastemakers has eroded their ability to feel superior. one of the last bastions of white supremacy, though, is the customer/service worker divide.

service workers in the south are overwhelmingly nonwhite and customers are overwhelmingly white. going out to eat isn’t just for the food (chuds have no taste) but for the experience of being waited on by a person of color who has to obey you to earn a tip. their ancestors ran plantations and had slaves tending to their whims; today’s chuds wish they could have that, but they make do by patronizing horrendously underpaid service workers. it reassures them that no matter they’re personal situation, they’re still on top, and the people below them know their place. going to restaurants is like getting a fix for them. they’re jonesing really bad. small business owners, too, want to reopen, to boss around their workers. owners mostly white, workers mostly not.

anyways my point is white supremacy explains the REOPEN AMERICA poo poo as much as top-down messaging or economic stress.

It's because of the planter class of southern aristocracy that continues today as you mentioned with the racism and the "being served" and getting their hair done all pretty and being able to "look good" goes (imho) to the southern debutante and beautillion parties. I'm sure I'm reading more into this but they've been the ruling class here for ages so they've trained the poor whites that if they want to be rich like them they have to do everything they do and say and blame the Black man because it's obviously his fault somehow?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

extremely good poo poo

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Plank Walker posted:

I want to just baby talk it and ask it about its adventures but I'm sure it wouldn't appreciate that. Great pictures!

E: OMG it's a nest, this is the best

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump’s pastor will end the virus through prayer

quote:

I’ve learned more about the power of prayer from my daughter Julia Jeffress Sadler than from any book or theologian. Recently, she asked, “Dad, why aren’t Christians praying more about the coronavirus?”

That question hit me right between the eyes! Julia is right.

The most powerful thing you and I can do to bring an end to the coronavirus pandemic—and its devastating effects—is to ask for God’s miraculous intervention in our country.

That is why I’m challenging you to join me in praying at 4:01 pm every day for the next 40 days for God’s supernatural help in removing the coronavirus.

Why 4:01 p.m.? Because of the promise of Psalm 4:1, which says:
Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
You have relieved me in my distress;
Be gracious to me and hear my prayer.

Join me in praying for God’s mercy on our country each day for 40 days at 4:01 pm beginning Thursday, May 7—the National Day of Prayer. And to say “thank you” for joining me in prayer, I would like you to have a free chapter download from my new book, PRAYING FOR AMERICA, along with updates on how you can pray specifically for our country.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Edit: on second thought no

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
God just lounging on the couch, reading the paper, in blissful ignorance of the coronavirus

Until he receives the Prayer Signal! then he springs in to action

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

facetoucher cat posted:

No one understands up not out and they still don't want Marta FFS

we just can't stop leaning on the racism button

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

facetoucher cat posted:

It's because of the planter class of southern aristocracy that continues today as you mentioned with the racism and the "being served" and getting their hair done all pretty and being able to "look good" goes (imho) to the southern debutante and beautillion parties. I'm sure I'm reading more into this but they've been the ruling class here for ages so they've trained the poor whites that if they want to be rich like them they have to do everything they do and say and blame the Black man because it's obviously his fault somehow?

its also the insta mentality where even 20something liberal women are putting a grand a month into their hair

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://thehardtimes.net/culture/georgia-announces-plan-to-close-hospitals-re-open-bars-and-just-kind-of-see-what-happens/

quote:

ATLANTA — Georgia Governor Brian Kemp announced that the state will close hospitals, re-open bars, and “just let God do his thing or whatever he’s got planned” for the foreseeable future, according to terrified sources fleeing the state.
“It actually makes a lot of sense,” Gov. Kemp explained at a press conference. “You’ve got a lot of other states that, for the most part, are keeping non-essential businesses closed and telling people to continue social distancing. Shouldn’t at least one state do the exact opposite and see if that works? It’s called ‘thinking outside the box.’ That’s why I’m encouraging all Georgians to hit the bars, get hammered drunk, and get some rear end. I mean, just go all out on this one.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

obviously it's because people aren't praying enough, definitely not because our prayers fall on the ears of a god who has judged mankind to be unworthy of salvation

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

what the hell is DAD?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/hancocktom/status/1257881201794113538

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Spergin Morlock posted:

what the hell is DAD?

yes, what the hell is dad

:(

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
all of the livestream raptor nests on youtube are just completely lined with squirrel pelts

Apr 7, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

what the hell is DAD?

"hi hungry I'm DAD" becomes way funnier in the age of coronavirus restaurant reopenings

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

shovelbum posted:

its also the insta mentality where even 20something liberal women are putting a grand a month into their hair

Yeah that's kinda weird to me, who is spending a grand on their hair? I haven't had my hair cut professionally in 4 years

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

praxisssss

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Apr 7, 2003

Major League Baseball is restarting training camp in June and expects live games in July.

The NFL released their schedules today

The ruling class has spoken, open it the gently caress up boys

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think people who are mystified at why chuds are so up in arms about restaurant and salon closures have never lived in the south, or really any deeply racially divided area.

chuds are all white supremacists at the bottom, and what they want more than anything is reassurance that they occupy the dominant racial caste. the end of de jure segregation and the rise of black and brown cultural tastemakers has eroded their ability to feel superior. one of the last bastions of white supremacy, though, is the customer/service worker divide.
on top of your good points i cropped out for space sake, there's also a "the government can't tell ME what to do like i'm some minority!" element. "the government is for protecting ME and keeping THEM down. i'm not THEM therefore why is the government keeping ME down? if these rules apply to everyone how will people know i'm better than them?"

like american history x: a whole bunch of white people just discovered who they're sharing a rung with and they're NOT happy about that.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

When somebody dies they're dad.

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgALxIPUGqo

this woman is dangerously obsessed with blue jays but i like her videos anyways

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
http://georgiawildlife.com/Camps

They're still saying that they are having camps in Georgia, like, WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

CODChimera posted:

you think things are bad now just wait until climate change kicks up a gear

Hurricane season should be interesting this year