Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Kal Torak posted:

Man, that CL calendar sure burned me this time. I guess storage is suddenly not an issue?

Maybe not. It's tough to get a sense of the data. Since mid-March there's been a mad scramble for storage, storage levels keep building, and yet... no problem now? There are reports of unorthodox storage coming online, European salt caverns, hastily built Chinese onshore tanks, so maybe it's a solved problem. Or maybe this move in prices is more speculative and won't last... with all the attention on oil over the last few weeks, I'm sure a lot of money poured in, and it's probably net long.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Presumably this month every hedge fund has brought in someone with actual knowledge to review these positions and make sure it doesn't happen again, so I'm not confident we're gonna see anything close to last month's problems.

Yeah, one bitten twice shy, and I don't think we'll see anything like last month's mess. No way June goes negative. But I'm curious if we see a front month dip as we get closer to expiration (which happens on May 20th).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Bumpin' this since it seems like more than just me was wondering.

I thought the quintessential bitcoin tax issue was during the 2017 bubble where they just kept selling one shitcoin for another at "a profit" and then during the 2018 crash they were left holding a worthless asset and a big tax bill for their 2017 realized gains.

Presumably you can avoid this by taking a look at your yearly realized gains and losses and setting aside at least 10% of that in cash to make sure you can pay the tax in 2021, even if Dec. 30th you decide to go 100% in on Tesla puts that tank Jan. 2nd

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 7, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Residency Evil posted:

Bumpin' this since it seems like more than just me was wondering.

Fidelity has a YTD tax info tab, I'd imagine any legit platform does too

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I just have turbotax connect to my brokerage accounts and handle my schedule D.

Some cost basis isn't reported right so I go in and update that with the right info from the brokerage's P/L report.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I thought the quintessential bitcoin tax issue was during the 2017 bubble where they just kept selling one shitcoin for another at "a profit" and then during the 2018 crash they were left holding a worthless asset and a big tax bill for their 2017 realized gains.

Presumably you can avoid this by taking a look at your yearly realized gains and losses and setting aside at least 10% of that in cash to make sure you can pay the tax in 2021, even if Dec. 30th you decide to go 100% in on Tesla puts that tank Jan. 2nd

Yeah, maybe I'm misunderstanding how often you guys (or maybe WSB) are trading options, but it seems like some people keep on grinding through trades and I could see someone ending up with a loss at the end of the year, but having a pretty heavy tax bill due to STCG.

Edit: oh apparently Schwab updates it more frequently if you actually trade frequently. There’s my answer.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 7, 2020

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, maybe I'm misunderstanding how often you guys (or maybe WSB) are trading options, but it seems like some people keep on grinding through trades and I could see someone ending up with a loss at the end of the year, but having a pretty heavy tax bill due to STCG.

I don't see how that could happen. If you have a loss for the year you won't be paying taxes on a gain.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Sold my paypal stocks this morning. Up 14 percent for the day and around 30 percent overall so I felt it was time. Bought $ABC and waiting to buy more other stuff when I see the opportunity.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I am so sad. I had an order of 50 NET calls queued up, then decided to cancel when I saw it was up 8% premarket. Would have almost tripled my money.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

gimme 3.4M unemployment headline number

pmchem posted:

unemployment number is 3.169M

whoa whoa whoa, in the DoL PDF they changed reporting:

https://twitter.com/kevinrinz/status/1258385225324912642?s=20

I'm gonna claim victory on my 3.4M number!

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Residency Evil posted:

Edit: oh apparently Schwab updates it more frequently if you actually trade frequently. There’s my answer.

The reason it bit people is because the IRS treats midnight on 12/31 as a magical time barrier where everything freezes. If you have aggregate profits on 12/31, you need liquid dollars to pay the capital gains on them by April 15th. If you have aggregate losses, you get to deduct up to $3000 and carry forward any excess to the next tax year.

Bitcoiners got hosed because they: bought bitcoins, traded bitcoins for USD or other shitcoins in 2017 which is a taxable capital gain, held them through the cash, and lost so much that their net liquidation value was less than their tax liability.

You CAN do this with options too! To do it you'd need to: Make a consistent profit in one calendar year, roll ALL of that profit into more options that you liquidate or that expire in the new year, and then lose all that money in the new year.

Most reputable brokerages will let you scope your annual P/L. STCG are taxed like normal income, so if you know what your tax rate is and save another 2% or so of wiggle room on Jan 1, you should not end up hosed like the bitcoiners.

Frequency of trading won't increase or decrease your likelihood of this being a problem, save that if you're continually trading a lot, you're probably turning a profit on some of your trades, since you aren't churning your account into oblivion.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It just wants to give 2900 one more kiss before it goes down into the abyss.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
debating whether to hold USO puts into Monday or rolling to JUNs.

Since I hate money, opened CHEGG Jun 55p

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Bought spy puts expiring today 288 at 1.52. Going for small gains.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Treasuries getting bid like crazy today, 2 year is 0.14% now, 5 yr is .315%, 10 year is 0.66%.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shorted /ES at 2892 but I don't have an exit

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Oscar Wild posted:

Bought spy puts expiring today 288 at 1.52. Going for small gains.

Also picked up at SPY put. 8 May 20 SPY 290 p @ 2.34

Not sure what my exit is, if it gets to 287 I'll bail

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Josh Lyman posted:

Shorted /ES at 2892 but I don't have an exit

Same but it doesn't feel right

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sepist posted:

Same but it doesn't feel right
Out at 2890. Feels like there's no conviction in the selling. There will be another opportunity today.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

literally everything is green, this is so rare

every S&P500 sector
corp bonds
treasuries
long and short bonds
oil
gold
all major non-US indexes
growth
value

just throw a drat dart

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Woodchip posted:

debating whether to hold USO puts into Monday or rolling to JUNs.

Theta on the mid-Mays is 0.08 vs 0.03 on the mid-Junes. If you're not expectinga big drop today and/or planning on selling this week, I'd roll them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is one of the few times my long positions are underperforming on an up day. :argh:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

On the Saudi side, my theory is that they want prices low for a while to pay off what I suspect is a contango play of their own (see: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-13/saudis-send-oil-tanker-rates-soaring-with-huge-booking-spree ) but that will only be short-term (order, a few months at max). If they get enough pressure from US senators and the president, they will eventually relent, because they are 100% reliant on us for defense, both in gear and in the region.

hooo boy, quoting part of my old post about Saudis relying on us for defense and that being a pressure point for oil prices, because:

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1258430685640941572?s=20

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

pmchem posted:

hooo boy, quoting part of my old post about Saudis relying on us for defense and that being a pressure point for oil prices, because:

Why is the DVD rental service reporting on this :p

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Josh Lyman posted:

Out at 2890. Feels like there's no conviction in the selling. There will be another opportunity today.

Yeah until I see something obvious gonna sit this out. Not losing $10,000 is better than not winning it.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Yeah until I see something obvious gonna sit this out. Not losing $10,000 is better than not winning it.

Oh I see where I'm going wrong

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

pmchem posted:

Saudis gonna realize that without the US support militarily with boots on the ground, things will go about as well as their Yemen campaign when they did it solo.

Anyway, TSLA currently flat and there is news that their one remaining China plant is having to shut down because lack of US parts. I wonder if they won’t be able to start up when quarantine is lifted because of lack of US parts for their factories in the US. They only have an inventory of about 15k cars.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I want to play TSLA and Chipotle options but they’re so expensive it isn’t worth it. Anyone else found a way to get in?

E: to add spy puts printing today. You’ll probably make money buying them now still.

poisonpill fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 7, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

The reason it bit people is because the IRS treats midnight on 12/31 as a magical time barrier where everything freezes. If you have aggregate profits on 12/31, you need liquid dollars to pay the capital gains on them by April 15th. If you have aggregate losses, you get to deduct up to $3000 and carry forward any excess to the next tax year.

Bitcoiners got hosed because they: bought bitcoins, traded bitcoins for USD or other shitcoins in 2017 which is a taxable capital gain, held them through the cash, and lost so much that their net liquidation value was less than their tax liability.

You CAN do this with options too! To do it you'd need to: Make a consistent profit in one calendar year, roll ALL of that profit into more options that you liquidate or that expire in the new year, and then lose all that money in the new year.

Most reputable brokerages will let you scope your annual P/L. STCG are taxed like normal income, so if you know what your tax rate is and save another 2% or so of wiggle room on Jan 1, you should not end up hosed like the bitcoiners.

Frequency of trading won't increase or decrease your likelihood of this being a problem, save that if you're continually trading a lot, you're probably turning a profit on some of your trades, since you aren't churning your account into oblivion.

Thanks for this.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Bought a bunch of SPXS at 2900. I couldn't resist.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

poisonpill posted:

I want to play TSLA and Chipotle options but they’re so expensive it isn’t worth it. Anyone else found a way to get in?

TSLA moves so much a buddy of mine makes a little off hilariously OTM options.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

poisonpill posted:

E: to add spy puts printing today. You’ll probably make money buying them now still.

Huh? My spy puts I bought monday are losing today

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Huh? My spy puts I bought monday are losing today

Sorry, should have said the ones I bought at noon for $290. They're outplaying the downtick buy a lot. It feels like people are jumping at every little indication for a crash.

skipdogg posted:

I've been burned by OTM options. Is the trick to buy them way far out on meme stocks?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

Be warned, this is how I lost $2k on deep OTM TSLA options when it went the wrong way.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's out of my pay grade at $191 a share but $DGAZ is demonstrating very predictable movement within two bounds:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Really tempted to go in some slightly OTM SPY puts, but I want to go for a walk and this feels like the kind of short term drop that you gotta be staring at the screen to take advantage of.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Really tempted to go in some slightly OTM SPY puts, but I want to go for a walk and this feels like the kind of short term drop that you gotta be staring at the screen to take advantage of.

IMO unless you're using options to hedge against loss on a long position, you basically do need to be glued to your screens.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah, I'm pretty much glued to the screen when I'm trying to scalp options. If I'm busy at work and can't pay attention I take the day off. 30 seconds can be the difference between 15% profit and 15% loss, and I haven't bothered to learn how to setup automatic selling price point thingies.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

pmchem posted:

GET hosed HOUSE OF SAUD :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

$UCO/$USO now negative on the day.