Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Hurricane season should be interesting this year

It's been cool here on the mid-atlantic coast, for what it's worth. a couple of years ago it was already in the 90s but i don't think we've been in the 80s yet.

i know weather doesn't equal climate but maybe the atlantic waters aren't as warm this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
nate silver is a real dumb-dumb

https://twitter.com/AnEpidemiolgst/status/1258433065933824008

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Woofer posted:

It's been cool here on the mid-atlantic coast, for what it's worth. a couple of years ago it was already in the 90s but i don't think we've been in the 80s yet.

i know weather doesn't equal climate but maybe the atlantic waters aren't as warm this year?

Tropical Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico waters are both above normal. Atmospheric patterns are optimal for hurricane activity in the Atlantic basin (neutral tending toward la nina). The statistical guidance is about as good as it gets for a busy season. Now we just need to see how that plays out when the hurricanes start forming.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

facetoucher cat posted:

Yeah that's kinda weird to me, who is spending a grand on their hair? I haven't had my hair cut professionally in 4 years

its p much mandatory for professional women to put at least several hundy a month into hair maintenance, like avg 500 to keep the color right and stuff? color is expensive and no one has natural color anymore bc its flat and doesnt photo well

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

shovelbum posted:

its p much mandatory for professional women to put at least several hundy a month into hair maintenance, like avg 500 to keep the color right and stuff? color is expensive and no one has natural color anymore bc its flat and doesnt photo well

everything about this is depressing

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

jesus christ what a loving moron

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1257717253698719745?s=20

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Spergin Morlock posted:

what the hell is DAD?

diffuse arterial disease maybe

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

NY is benefitting from their morgues overflowing two weeks ago

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

nate silver is a dogshit moron, good god

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I thought partial herd immunity was a real thing tho, like having 20% immune provides a significant boost to the efficacy of measures to suppress r0?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i hope the insurance company sees this and then denies the ferarri owner because its covid related

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

kaleedity posted:

1000% the military memo to preclude any apps w/ any history of covid is to keep minorities and poors out of the military, hth

The amount of posters that think the military could exist without minorities is loving hilarious

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

shovelbum posted:

I thought partial herd immunity was a real thing tho, like having 20% immune provides a significant boost to the efficacy of measures to suppress r0?

Yeah, Nate Silver is a dipshit but I'm confused about why 20% of people being immune (assuming long term immunity is real) wouldn't help reduce transmission, even if it didn't reduce it below one.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

shovelbum posted:

herd immunity is determined by the percentage of people it takes to keep the R < 1 so that a disease doesn't spread throughout the population. it's a specific definition. increasing the number of people immune doesn't change the herd immunity threshold and calling it "partial herd immunity" doesn't mean anything.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Just got an email, all of engineering is back in the office starting the 18th. WFH was fun for a whole month.

rip Friend

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Woofer posted:

the Arctic is so hot it is pushing cold air down the North American continent

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Bernie Panders posted:

this is a great time to set up bird feeders and hummingbird feeders. got a jar of expired peanuts, shelled or unshelled? got a bag of white sugar? make some bird food and feed the got drat birds! it's great. even if you only get trash birds in your area, you can feel a sense of communion with them because we're just trash animals ourselves

I set up one in our tiny concrete rear yard and it was pretty much trash birds like pigeons and starlings for the first month. But word seems to travel round the berbnet after a while, and we've started seeing birds you wouldn't normally see in a dense urban area coming to feed. I think it's because there's a small wild wetland reserve about 0.5km away.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Spergin Morlock posted:

what the hell is DAD?

Diffuse alveolar damage

Basically that "lung damage that makes it hard to breathe" that the roni is known for. The "ground glass opacity" thing.

Bird chat: a dumb-looking mourning dove turned a gutter into a nest, the dumb thing
I'm not helping it if it rains, RULES OF NATURE JACK :colbert:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
We haven't heard from A Horny Swearingen for a while... :ohdear:

Bird chat, the rufous hummingbirds all had their babies and drink at least a liter and a half of nectar a day. The juncos are all nesting in the long grass on the side of the road and my neighborhood raven recently started saying hello back to me. Birds are great. I really should just have a bird crazies tag, I fkn love the ornery little dinosaurs.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Iron Crowned posted:

Just got an email, all of engineering is back in the office starting the 18th. WFH was fun for a whole month.

lol, owned

my wfh won't be done until san jose opens back up

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

shovelbum posted:

herd immunity is a binary thing but yes as the proportion of immunity increases r_t decreases ; at herd immunity it's always below 1

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

An R(t) of 1.25 with 20% infected has the same transmission rate as an R(t) of 1 with 0% infected. I'd call it "social distancing training wheels" instead of partial herd immunity.

This is also why I think that everywhere else will burn to somewhere around 20% infected in the US. We're too dumb to get under 1, but we can manage getting under 1.25.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, Nate Silver is a dipshit but I'm confused about why 20% of people being immune (assuming long term immunity is real) wouldn't help reduce transmission, even if it didn't reduce it below one.

Admiral Ray posted:

herd immunity is determined by the percentage of people it takes to keep the R < 1 so that a disease doesn't spread throughout the population. it's a specific definition. increasing the number of people immune doesn't change the herd immunity threshold and calling it "partial herd immunity" doesn't mean anything.

he's correct though. the sir model is stupid simple and r_t decreases over time as more people get infected

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

*emptyquotes all your posts while Sarah McLachlan's "I Will Remember You" plays on loop*

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
lol if antibodies for this thing last only a few months and by fall people will be getting sick a second time

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gringostar posted:

lol, owned

my wfh won't be done until san jose opens back up

I'm looking forward to the second wave where they don't lollygag on letting me work from home for two weeks.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is a win/win for incompetent leadership.

Lots of people died because of their incompetence & lack of action? Clearly we're in a crisis, you've gotta rally around the flag and suppress bad news, where's your sense of patriotism?

Not many people died because of their incompetence & lack of action? See, people are just overreacting, it's just the flu bro.

Justice would be ugly public trials, loud politicians getting thrown in prison, it's all very messy. What if we just paper mâché over the gaping holes and move on? So much easier.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
so nate hosed up the terminology bigly but had a point ish? but also hes a moron

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Spergin Morlock posted:

what the hell is DAD?

Dead as (a) doornail.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Isnt thrombosis just embolisms (ie clots) that don't happen in the lungs

I know nothing

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Hair and nail salons open in ohio on the 15th. :rip:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/ShereeWLWT/status/1258461193041313795?s=20

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

shovelbum posted:

but you can do it yourself super easy, I used to color my hair myself and it looked good because you can do it yourself if you're not a total moron. I've kept every color from black to blue to red and if I needed a hand of course I had my husband but that was super rare and only if I was about to make a mess because I was being dumb. The main reason you would go somewhere for 500$ a pop is if you were getting it done for the first time or changing colors and went to a super high end place and got a cut and blow dry. Upkeep on hair should only be like 200$ max if you're going in for a touch up and trim with getting it blow dried and styled. People are just wasting money on stuff because they can at that point.

facetoucher cat has issued a correction as of 19:23 on May 7, 2020

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

facetoucher cat posted:

http://georgiawildlife.com/Camps

They're still saying that they are having camps in Georgia, like, WTF?

Nytimes Sunday had a big spread about it. Camps gonna be open nationwide this summer, thats how much parents need to offload their kids for a few weeks

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

lmao just setting arbitrary dates with absolutely no regard for any progress or metrics, sounds like some soviet style poo poo to me

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

facetoucher cat posted:

but you can do it yourself super easy, I used to color my hair myself and it looked good because you can do it yourself if you're not a total moron. I've kept every color from black to blue to red and if I needed a hand of course I had my husband but that was super rare and only if I was about to make a mess because I was being dumb. The main reason you would go somewhere for 500$ a pop is if you were getting it done for the first time or changing colors and went to a super high end place and got a cut and blow dry. Upkeep on hair should only be like 200$ max if you're going in for a touch up and trim without getting it blow dried and styled. People are just wasting money on stuff because they can at that point.

i wish i knew what the "expected" level of attention to hair was for "professional" men, all mines gonna fall out in a few years anyway and i guess i should be taking a million hair pills and poo poo but whatever

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

An R(t) of 1.25 with 20% infected has the same transmission rate as an R(t) of 1 with 0% infected. I'd call it "social distancing training wheels" instead of partial herd immunity.

This is also why I think that everywhere else will burn to somewhere around 20% infected in the US. We're too dumb to get under 1, but we can manage getting under 1.25.
yeah, i expect this as well. america doesn't have the structure to handle anything more than that, and even getting to 1.25 will gently caress us up.

Malcolm XML posted:

he's correct though. the sir model is stupid simple and r_t decreases over time as more people get infected

he's correct that as the susceptible population is reduced r_t decreases, but that's not partial herd immunity because that's just a term he made up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

lmao just setting arbitrary dates with absolutely no regard for any progress or metrics, sounds like some soviet style poo poo to me

COVID-19 is over! Time to throw a parade!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Shageletic posted:

Nytimes Sunday had a big spread about it. Camps gonna be open nationwide this summer, thats how much parents need to offload their kids for a few weeks

like, I knew my parents hated me but I always thought my friend's parents loved them but I guess they really didn't seeing how much parents are really sick of their kids after just a few days into this