Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

OwlFancier posted:

I would guess that might put the nail in the FF/FG coalition if they tried that.

Austerity doesn't fix unemployment or the economy.

It didn't fix the economy or unemployment the last time FG tried it and ruined the better part of a decade, either. Betting against FG in particular, with their current Thatcherite bent, using a recession as an excuse to shrink the "wasteful" big government and move closer to an American model is a bad bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

SF seem to have good populist instincts, one imagines that they'd likely be able to capitalise on FF/FG doing austerity

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

SF seem to have good populist instincts, one imagines that they'd likely be able to capitalise on FF/FG doing austerity

SF have gotten over 15% of the vote exactly once in the last 100 years of Irish elections.Theres no guarantee they'll capitalize on anything.

But even if they do manage to, if they're polling at all well in opposition then there won't be any election in Ireland until the the latest possible date. Which is a short half decade away on 20 February 2025.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

FF/FG coalition plus rotating partners government isn't going to last four years. No its all up in the air at the moment. We can't go back to hardline austerity after this. New social contract pls.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Yeah I do not expect the FF/FG coalition to last any longer than it has to, especially when their combined numbers can't make a majority. Either one of the big two will jump ship when they can throw the other under the bus or the Greens will end up growing a backbone and leaving once the current crisis is over.

It is the exact same scenario as the last government. FF and FG will work together because neither wants to be blamed for not being adults during a crisis. Last term it was Brexit, now it's Corona. Everything changes, nothing changes.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Blut posted:

SF have gotten over 15% of the vote exactly once in the last 100 years of Irish elections.Theres no guarantee they'll capitalize on anything.

But even if they do manage to, if they're polling at all well in opposition then there won't be any election in Ireland until the the latest possible date. Which is a short half decade away on 20 February 2025.

the government is incredibly fragile and has two senior partners who probably cannot both survive. if they start reheating policy that was unpopular to begin with they're going to suffer, and once that starts they're going to start rocking the boat

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

For those wondering about the Gemma O'Doherty/John Waters case in the High Court it was adjourned for two weeks.
They had a rent a crowd of about 100 hangers on in the Four Courts lobby, in breach of all social distancing guidelines.

They have a video post case which is on You Tube, but I'm not going to post it here.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Does she have a YouTube again?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Economy to contract 10%, 22% unemployment after the restrictions are lifted. (Worth mentioning this is probably a heavily massaged figure - it has been since '08 atleast.)

Eoghan Murphy on the news saying airbnb stock can't go back to the short term let market. Dublin City Council trying to get 25 year leases on apartments for homeless people. FG atleast gearing up to pass the most popular of SF policies.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Are long term leases a better alternative to social housing?

I saw on twitter a FF TD dunking on Eoin OBroin because he was calling out proposed 100 year leases as a waste of money. The FF guy pulled out NPV to explain why paying private landlords for a century adjusted to market rates is much better than building social homes.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Marenghi posted:

Not for the taxpayer. If leasing were a better long-term investment than building on land you already own, landlords wouldn't exist. Not for the recipient of social housing, since leases are necessarily less secure than publicly owned housing.

What long-term leases are good for is putting management layers between government ministers and anyone who wants to hold them accountable, steering money toward friends and family of those same ministers, and making absolutely sure that poor people keep renting forever

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Marenghi posted:

I saw on twitter a FF TD dunking on Eoin OBroin because he was calling out proposed 100 year leases as a waste of money. The FF guy pulled out NPV to explain why paying private landlords for a century adjusted to market rates is much better than building social homes.
Well do some simple maths on it. Final cost of house after builders take twice as long as planned, cowboys cowboy etc etc is X. If government builds house, government pays X. If private landlord builds house, private landlord pays X. Landlord then needs to recoup X over time T (probably 30-40 years, x 12 months a year), and wants to make a profit (P > 0(X)) on X to cover their own living expenses, but won't lower the rent once X has been recouped. Therefore the cost to the government is (X/T*12) + (P/T*12) + MARKET RATE FOR HOWEVER loving LONG AFTER THE MORTGAGE IS PAID so... yeah, ignoring that social housing recipients do actually pay what rent they can meaning the government does recoup costs eventually: FF TD is full of poo poo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

FF TD is full of poo poo.

I too have run the numbers and turns out this is true ????

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

There's a really interesting thread here about Irelands reportednfeath rate for Covid 19 and how it compares to other countries.

https://twitter.com/Care2much18/status/1252819591090155523?s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I meant to post but last week, Leo was asked about Unemployment payments and said that they had to introduce them in a hurry to make sure no one missed out on being paid.

Obviously this was the right thing to do as making sure all citizens are looked after is the greater good.

However there was a part of the article where he talked about how lots of people are earning a lot less than they were before lockdown. Which is true.
But according to him some people were earning more than before lockdown. And apparently this idea that some people might be slightly better off was an outrage that can't be allowed stand.

It doesn't take much for Leo's mask to slip.

In other news I saw this video on my YouTube feed. Even ITV (or UTV as I suspect it is) is picking up on stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWSnVRi-zB0

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hardly surprising from the man who's spent years running ads on buses and elsewhere about how good he is at poor-crushing

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

That was extremely telling. A person with empathy would say to themselves "hold on - if our current assessment says that 350euro a week is the minimum needed to live off of, then why is the dole 200e a week? And how do some people earn less than 350e a week despite working normally? Lets increase both the minimum wage and the dole".

Whereas Leo arrived at "these evil welfare queens are taking advantage of our system!!".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nice to know the eternal tory refrain of "someone, somewhere, other than me, might be getting something they didn't suffer enough for" holds true across borders.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Just to show I wasnt making this up, here is the story about Leo not being able to stand people getting more money that they didn't "deserve."

https://www.thejournal.ie/wage-subsidyleo-varadkar-5083689-Apr2020/

And on related news here are Labour (Lol) saying that €350 should be the standard rate going forward. It could end up being a good starting point for a better Unemployment rate going forward.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...s-39164611.html

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

Just to show I wasnt making this up, here is the story about Leo not being able to stand people getting more money that they didn't "deserve."

https://www.thejournal.ie/wage-subsidyleo-varadkar-5083689-Apr2020/

And on related news here are Labour (Lol) saying that €350 should be the standard rate going forward. It could end up being a good starting point for a better Unemployment rate going forward.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...s-39164611.html

Would be great if Labour actually accomplished anything for the first time since the Dick Spring, even if it takes global catastrophe for it to happen

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

I meant to post but last week, Leo was asked about Unemployment payments and said that they had to introduce them in a hurry to make sure no one missed out on being paid.

Obviously this was the right thing to do as making sure all citizens are looked after is the greater good.

However there was a part of the article where he talked about how lots of people are earning a lot less than they were before lockdown. Which is true.
But according to him some people were earning more than before lockdown. And apparently this idea that some people might be slightly better off was an outrage that can't be allowed stand.

It doesn't take much for Leo's mask to slip.

In other news I saw this video on my YouTube feed. Even ITV (or UTV as I suspect it is) is picking up on stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWSnVRi-zB0

As a sole trader, I suffered massive business losses with left only one or two customers at best.

I applied for the payment but was told to jog on as I had "income" and to go a break of i was worried about my mortgage ( which btw has a massive amount of strings attached by the banks if you read the fine print).

Please spread the following statement to all your friends :gently caress leo and gently caress FG, because they have no qualms about loving you.

He and they have hurt our country, we voted them out. Please let them stay out.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 28, 2020

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Would be great if Labour actually accomplished anything for the first time since the Dick Spring, even if it takes global catastrophe for it to happen

My weirdest political opinion is that I don't think Alan Kelly is as bad as he's made out to be. In the second to last election I actually had him as my number 1, not because I like him, but because in the wonderful constituency that is Tipperary my other choices were Michael Lowry and Mattie McGrath (who were of course number 1 and 2 at the polls). I have a mild hope that Labour might improve under him because at least his weird enthusiastic confidence is better than Howlins resigned acceptance of the continuing slide of labour into the mildly progressive right wing.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

My problem with AK47 is that he appears to have no political philosophy whatsoever. He appears to be a standard issue neo-liberal, his education is in eCommerce and I've never heard him speak a word I've agreed with or felt was relevant in some way.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

AK47's overriding political philosophy is his own lust for power. Its quite simple, hes been oddly open about it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Weird that he went Labour so.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Too much competition in the Top Bastard leagues in FF/FG.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I've been learning a bunch of stuff today that I didn't know yesterday.

Like how Ireland has been developing a Covid 19 tracking app. I knew the Brits were doing that, but not us.

Also I learned that while McDonalds is still closed, Burger King's are still open. (Or at least some are )

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Dont tell me that. Jesus I'd kill for a bacon double cheeseburger

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Does anyone with more knowledge about the Green Party know why Ryan hasn't been given the heave yet? He can't seem to stop putting his foot in his mouth with regards to rural Ireland and he seems dedicated on destroying the party after their near miraculous result in the last GE.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Greens are a single issue party with wildly diverging economic and social politics that aren't part of that, so it seems like the problem is finding anyone that everyone hates less.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

The Greens are a single issue party with wildly diverging economic and social politics that aren't part of that, so it seems like the problem is finding anyone that everyone hates less.

How could that be hard given the prick currently in charge. The biggest problem with the Greens has always been their leadership. They are almost all neo-liberal fucks from Dublin.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Green parties are most popular among educated urbanites, basically the people who have tended to go to Liberal parties. for the most part, their focus on consumer behaviour and individual moral action leads them to be deeply skeptical of people who drive cars and who are interested in road conditions and petrol prices. this creates a big disconnect between Green politicians and their often leftishly inclined members, but most people who vote Green in europe are actually very centrist economically

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also eco-fascists exist.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

like the whole point is to not need a broader ideological framework to which voters need to subscribe, it's the Green parties' entire Thing

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Arquinsiel posted:

Also eco-fascists exist.

i would be careful about blaming them for the deficiencies of Green parties, most Greens are very committed to social liberalism wrt minority issues and crime

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I’m fairly sure one of the local green councillors here in Cork was a goon as her meme game is pretty strong and has made past references that have to be goony.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Skull Servant posted:

Does anyone with more knowledge about the Green Party know why Ryan hasn't been given the heave yet? He can't seem to stop putting his foot in his mouth with regards to rural Ireland and he seems dedicated on destroying the party after their near miraculous result in the last GE.

The Greens have a pretty big split going down the middle of the party right now. The older (in time scale) voter base (and most TDs) are basically people who would have been traditional urban middle class FG voters, but who have a Green tinge and a generally slightly more left-wing disposition. Eamon Ryan is from this wing of the party. This is the wing that wants to go into government, because they're a bit more pragmatic and willing to compromise - and don't want to wait 5 years for Ireland to start making environmental changes that need to be made ASAP.

Then they have the newer wing of people like Saoirse Mchugh, who're closer to traditional PBP voters with a Green tinge than anything else. They're completely against going into government with FF/FG because they see it as selling out. They're the radical/youth/hippie/naive/idealistic wing, depending on your own bias.

Ryan isn't being heaved because the traditional wing of the party is still larger, and though some dislike him they worry that if they got rid of him he'd possibly be replaced by someone from the radical wing of the party. And then they'd lose all their urban middle class voter base, which would be most of the parties TDs wiped out.

So basically...better the devil you know, as far as they're concerned.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

V. Illych L. posted:

i would be careful about blaming them for the deficiencies of Green parties, most Greens are very committed to social liberalism wrt minority issues and crime
Oh yeah, but you can see how a few of them could cause trouble in a Green party just by virtue of prioritising the same single issue as each other, but with very different rationales for why and how to approach it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The Waters/5G O'D case has been chucked out of court.

I have read the judgement. Murphy J. Thows some nice legal shade during the course of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

The Waters/5G O'D case has been chucked out of court.

I have read the judgement. Murphy J. Thows some nice legal shade during the course of it.

Care to summarise for the non-legal plebs in the peanut gallery?