Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

John Lee posted:

Why do people keep saying this? Twee is more than a hundred drat years old, it's not a new internet word. It's the word 'sweet' said by a young, chubby-cheeked child, and also nobody has ever meant it as anything other than derogatory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxdJqncir4Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Barry Convex posted:

I enjoyed the demo, but yeah, the platforming mechanics really need work before the game ships. biggest issue is the grappling points, which seem to only work from a very narrow range of angles

I feel like I played a different game, because the grapples were absolutely fine. The only issue is the shift bullet time not working if you're strafing at the same time, even if you want to use it to dodge a bullet. It defaults to an immediate side dash, which sent me off platforms far too often.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ragequit posted:

They have only said this year so far. Once 1.0 hits they are also porting it to consoles.

And I guess that prediction is out of the window now, considering the general state of everything.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

anyone tried out pc not-mariomaker? https://store.steampowered.com/app/792710/Levelhead/

looks good. wondering how much activity there is for level creation

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Serephina posted:

That seemed rather cool, but the demo is a hard no from me. If you want to encourage that style of gameplay the player feedback and 'stickyness' need to be better. I spent way too much time trying to grab hooks and watching the guy fail, sticking to the wrong surface and other movement-based errors that I felt where "not my fault". DeadCells may be only 2d but it really opened my eyes on what it's like to not have poor movement. Its also ruined many metroidvanias for me =/

I didn't even get to any grappling points before I uninstalled it.
It's way too fast for me and I simply can't play such frantic games anymore, and had to give up, when I met the first three enemies and couldn't get past them.
It definitely didn't help that it's a 1 hit instakill game, and in the comparison to other games it would be more fitting to use Hotline Miami than Dishonored.

Also, don't get old :bahgawd: :corsair:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Awesome! posted:

anyone tried out pc not-mariomaker? https://store.steampowered.com/app/792710/Levelhead/

looks good. wondering how much activity there is for level creation

Seems to be on Game Pass. That art style though... yeesh.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Fart of Presto posted:

It's way too fast for me and I simply can't play such frantic games anymore, and had to give up, when I met the first three enemies and couldn't get past them.
It definitely didn't help that it's a 1 hit instakill game, and in the comparison to other games it would be more fitting to use Hotline Miami than Dishonored.

You should give it another try because it's secretly a rhythm game.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Fart of Presto posted:

i think there is a game concept here that can absolutely work, but the way the game is set up now is not doing it for me. One issue is that its feels easy to miss hitting a target or doing a specific platform movement like wallrunning or hitting a grapple point. This is a game-feel issue that can be ironed out maybe by having the player snap to things if they are close enough.

The bigger issue i have, however, is the complete lack of situational awareness. This game is an fps trying to emulate 2d games like Hotline Miami and Katana Zero. It will have multiple guys shooting at you from different angles and elevations at the same time and expect you to be able to maneuver around them without getting hit once. Thankfully, the guys dont have hitscan weapons but instead shot blue orbs that have some travel time. Even better, you can deflect the orbs with your sword, though im not sure if you can deflect the shots back by being accurate or not. The problem is that since its an fps game, i have no idea whats coming my way outside of my main POV. Most of my deaths in the demo werent from losing matchups with the guys i was staring at but instead were from getting shot by someone i didnt see at the time.

Hotline Miami works because the perspective lets you plan stuff out and be aware of what the enemy has while your moving from one enemy to the next. You can seamlessly go from beating down an enemy in the corner of a room with your back to the door to throwing your weapon at the goon that comes in through said door, all without missing a beat. Sure, this game has a minimap, but that doesnt show me who is actively shooting me and who is just standing there. Its also a tiny map in the corner of the screen and this game demands a lot of focus from the player for executing the platforming/killing successfully.

There are a couple of solutions that could be used to help these issues. Add more melee enemies so youre not constantly under fire. Make sure the map design isnt too open to allow you to get picked off from a ton of angles. Change the AI so its not nearly as accurate when not in the player's POV, giving the player more time to respond if they see a couple of shots go past their view. Let the player use their grapple on enemies to help close the distance faster. idk im not a game dev, but i do wanna see this game be fun. The demo is close-but-not-quite there for me but this idea seems like it could be a ton of fun if pulled off properly.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i didn't have any problems with the controls or the grappling hook in the demo but the thing is barely 10 minutes long tops so maybe i missed something. my main issue was dashing towards enemies to cut them and stopping 3 millimeters out of slashing range and getting domed

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 7, 2020

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i think there is a game concept here that can absolutely work, but the way the game is set up now is not doing it for me. One issue is that its feels easy to miss hitting a target or doing a specific platform movement like wallrunning or hitting a grapple point. This is a game-feel issue that can be ironed out maybe by having the player snap to things if they are close enough.

The bigger issue i have, however, is the complete lack of situational awareness. This game is an fps trying to emulate 2d games like Hotline Miami and Katana Zero. It will have multiple guys shooting at you from different angles and elevations at the same time and expect you to be able to maneuver around them without getting hit once. Thankfully, the guys dont have hitscan weapons but instead shot blue orbs that have some travel time. Even better, you can deflect the orbs with your sword, though im not sure if you can deflect the shots back by being accurate or not. The problem is that since its an fps game, i have no idea whats coming my way outside of my main POV. Most of my deaths in the demo werent from losing matchups with the guys i was staring at but instead were from getting shot by someone i didnt see at the time.

Hotline Miami works because the perspective lets you plan stuff out and be aware of what the enemy has while your moving from one enemy to the next. You can seamlessly go from beating down an enemy in the corner of a room with your back to the door to throwing your weapon at the goon that comes in through said door, all without missing a beat. Sure, this game has a minimap, but that doesnt show me who is actively shooting me and who is just standing there. Its also a tiny map in the corner of the screen and this game demands a lot of focus from the player for executing the platforming/killing successfully.

There are a couple of solutions that could be used to help these issues. Add more melee enemies so youre not constantly under fire. Make sure the map design isnt too open to allow you to get picked off from a ton of angles. Change the AI so its not nearly as accurate when not in the player's POV, giving the player more time to respond if they see a couple of shots go past their view. Let the player use their grapple on enemies to help close the distance faster. idk im not a game dev, but i do wanna see this game be fun. The demo is close-but-not-quite there for me but this idea seems like it could be a ton of fun if pulled off properly.

the game's got directional indicators around the crosshair for where enemies are firing at you from, a first person shooter standard since, like, the original half life

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I didn't have any problems with the demo either other than the not great dash but it was too short to get much of a real feel for the game in any case. It got me to wishlist it so I can check it out whenever it comes out so I guess it succeeded at it's main purpose.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 7, 2020

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Seems to be on Game Pass. That art style though... yeesh.

i dont mind the art. also i dont have gamepass

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Some RTS I know nothing about is currently free on humble bundle.

Good? Bad? Who cares, it's free :newfap:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ghostrunner seems neat, but that demo was remarkably slight. Sound design needs work and maybe your sword slash should include a slight forward-dash.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mordja posted:

Ghostrunner seems neat, but that demo was remarkably slight. Sound design needs work and maybe your sword slash should include a slight forward-dash.

yeah. i like it as a proof of concept and will keep an eye on it so it's done its job there, but one enemy type and one attack button and done in 5 minutes leaves a lot of questions about how much meat is going to be on the bone when the roast is done

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I had thew same problems with the dash, it was way too short. I kept either dropping right in front of an enemy, or just barely missing a jump I was trying to make. Also the blur was super hosed up. Even when I turned it off entirely, it still felt like it was blurred to hell and back when I tried to look around.

Also the demo refused to stop running on its own and I had to task manager kill it to make it shut down.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i get the powerful suspicion that the reason the dash is so short is because it was causing issues with people getting into places where they shouldn't which was giving the level designers nightmares

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

One thing to note is that this is the same demo content wise as the demo press had a while ago, sometime last year. I'm not really worried about content issues.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Anyone else when playing Cloudpunk since the latest patch getting a bug where dialogue boxes are not appearing on screen? I can hear the dialogue and where there's options, say if I'm talking to a shopkeeper, I can hear the selection change if I move the stick and select things, but I just can't see any of it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

drat horror queefs posted:

I clicked this (free Ashes of the Singularity) and it turns out I already had it since March 2019. So, now I have an extra code that will expire if not claimed. If anyone wants this game without clicking humble's newsletter, here you go:
20Z2Q-TRX72-YWPDM

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

drat horror queefs posted:

It's pretty bad but it's deffo worth free especially if you can round up some friends for comb stomps

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

So I decided to give Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut from the Humble Choice a shot, thinking it'd be some generic stiff dungeon crawler RPG (I bounced off both Grimrocks super hard) and it's... actually great?

The scot aesthetic and folk music is cool, and after seven hours I'm super hooked. The combat is deep and fun, the puzzle progression is good (though I don't do puzzle games often) and the level design seems smart. It really gives a serious 'labor of love' vibe.

I looked up some info online and apparently people hated it for Kickstarter related drama or completely ignored it, the wiki for it is completely unfinished and it didn't seem like there was much hype around it. Hell, I didn't even know this series even existed. What gives? I know about inXile and I was around for the Wasteland 2 crowdfund but this game completely missed me it seems.

I actually put freaking Bannerlord on hold to keep playing this dumb game, that's how much I'm digging it.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I know some folks around here are absolute wizards at Cook, Serve, Delicious! I just picked up number 3 and was curious about what control scheme you find most useful. I played previous ones with keyboard only, but that was several years ago and I'm beyond rusty. If a controller is going to be markedly more efficient when things get super hairy I'd like to get used to it from the beginning, and vice-versa

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Washin Tong posted:

So I decided to give Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut from the Humble Choice a shot, thinking it'd be some generic stiff dungeon crawler RPG (I bounced off both Grimrocks super hard) and it's... actually great?

The scot aesthetic and folk music is cool, and after seven hours I'm super hooked. The combat is deep and fun, the puzzle progression is good (though I don't do puzzle games often) and the level design seems smart. It really gives a serious 'labor of love' vibe.

I looked up some info online and apparently people hated it for Kickstarter related drama or completely ignored it, the wiki for it is completely unfinished and it didn't seem like there was much hype around it. Hell, I didn't even know this series even existed. What gives? I know about inXile and I was around for the Wasteland 2 crowdfund but this game completely missed me it seems.

I actually put freaking Bannerlord on hold to keep playing this dumb game, that's how much I'm digging it.
THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN TELLING EVERYONE

I'm (assumedly) finally nearing the end; you're looking at over 60hrs on a completionist run.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Protips without spoilers: keep track of where you sell any gear that isn't a common item, you might need it for like... specific boss fights. That's not a joke.
You sure? The only fight I've had to cheese abusing Bard songs was the last boss of the Haernhold optional dungeon and I've just entered one of the very last areas. None of it required specific gear I believe.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 8, 2020

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Washin Tong posted:

I look forward to seeing your take on it if you keep going, because a dude just did a post-along of their playthrough in the RPG thread and by endgame they were going "I am not letting this poorly designed piece of poo poo beat me".

Protips without spoilers: keep track of where you sell any gear that isn't a common item, you might need it for like... specific boss fights. That's not a joke.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

flesh dance posted:

I know some folks around here are absolute wizards at Cook, Serve, Delicious! I just picked up number 3 and was curious about what control scheme you find most useful. I played previous ones with keyboard only, but that was several years ago and I'm beyond rusty. If a controller is going to be markedly more efficient when things get super hairy I'd like to get used to it from the beginning, and vice-versa

keyboard, with the caveat that since my F1 keys are occupied by other things by my laptop, I had to remap them to the 1-0 keys, activated by holding space.

I have never tried any other control scheme for the game, and have no idea how the controller is. Good luck!

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Cool, I was hoping you'd weigh in after I saw your last achievement post, haha. Congrats! :)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

flesh dance posted:

Cool, I was hoping you'd weigh in after I saw your last achievement post, haha. Congrats! :)

It is still bonkers to me that I'm actually good at this game. It's compelling enough that I want to put in the work, and it pays off by giving me fun new challenges. Easily one of the few early access games where I look forward to and play updates as they drop.

You are in for a huge treat, have fun!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I bought CSD3 a while ago and when the time is right I'm looking forward to getting totally sucked into it. Sounds like it refines the formula in great ways!

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

goferchan posted:

I bought CSD3 a while ago and when the time is right I'm looking forward to getting totally sucked into it. Sounds like it refines the formula in great ways!

It's one of those few games where I genuinely lose track of time and hours can whirl by.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Playing Ni No Kuni II and loving it so far; amazing escapism where the president gets nuked into another realm of existence in the opening cutscene. The squeaky noise the Higgledies make when they walk is, for this manchild, already worth the price of admission, and running around blasting blobs of goo with a pistol is hilarious. Game rules.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

bought levelhead. i like it a lot so far. i just played a user level focusing on the bomb suit which i hadnt seen in the premade levels yet. your robot shoots a bomb out of its face (knocking it backwards) that bounces around and then explodes. you can launch yourself with the shots and also jump off the bombs midair like a mario shell jump which resets your shots so you can chain it together and climb straight up or launch yourself across gaps. really cool stuff. seems like people are making all sorts of easy and hard levels.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Levelhead seems interesting to me because on one hand the player base is going to be a lot smaller than SMM but then it would be that much easier to to actually gain some presence as a level creator and not just get buried under a thousand levels every day.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Silver Snail posted:

Levelhead seems interesting to me because on one hand the player base is going to be a lot smaller than SMM but then it would be that much easier to to actually gain some presence as a level creator and not just get buried under a thousand levels every day.

The way levels get pushed to the public is really clever -- by playing through the queue of totally random new levels, you earn advertising bucks, which you can invest in your own levels and make them more likely to show up for other people in the main "tower" mode. Presumably while you're doing that you'll be voting up the levels you enjoy from the new queue, ending up in more exposure for everyone

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if any of you end up making levels for it post your links

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Xaris posted:

I'm still not quite sure I get the difference between Creative and Journey really, I guess Journey is just a slightly more restricted Creative in that you do have to find things first and still occasionally fight* *if you want to.

This explains it pretty well, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M01jQ2XRqfE

Basically there's a built in cheat menu.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

From my understanding of it I think the main difference of Journey mode is that it's not just Creative mode but with Vanilla progress, but allows you to play both modes interchangeably at any difficulty you want for however long you want in whatever way you want. Like, with Creative you have unlimited of every block, but because it's 'gated' by research in Journey you can choose to have unlimited building materials but not consumables so that you don't have to grind to build a sweet house, but you still have to get torches and healing yourself so that fighting isn't a pushover. It's a la carte creative.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
It's a good compromise, especially for folks who have put hundreds of hours into the game already. Having more difficulty settings makes the experience better for everyone.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

END ME SCOOB posted:

I look forward to seeing your take on it if you keep going, because a dude just did a post-along of their playthrough in the RPG thread and by endgame they were going "I am not letting this poorly designed piece of poo poo beat me".
Any chance you could link this?

e: Thanks!

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

anilEhilated posted:

Any chance you could link this?

Do you know how loving much the fact that we live in hell and time is accelerating has been made clear to me now? I went to go find this and realized it was back in November.

Also the dude who is playing BT4 should not click that because over the course of these posts he straight up goes into the post-game optional dungeon and talks a lot about endgame.