Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I think the point is more that other countries used their lockdowns to build infrastructure for testing, treatment, and contact tracing. We're two months in with none of that because we don't have a functioning government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Good point keep talkin posted:

I think the point is more that other countries used their lockdowns to build infrastructure for testing, treatment, and contact tracing. We're two months in with none of that because we don't have a functioning government.

Buddy, we've had since January

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Right. I just think it's important to differentiate between chuds demanding things open up immediately and people lamenting the fact that we wouldn't be here if we weren't a failed state.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey, look, it's a right-wing idiot plan by Darren Bailey! What are the dates based on? Who knows!

Simply cracking up because people in the comments on FB were mostly upset that bars were open but churches weren't.

People I know on FB are getting more and more incensed by the nonsense conspiracy theories, and I have seen that abhorrent 'plandemic' youtube thing posted no less than five times. poo poo's getting worse; this lockdown is a petri dish for radicalization.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Big lol at face coverings being “recommended” across all three phases

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Badger of Basra posted:

Big lol at face coverings being “recommended” across all three phases

To me, it looks like Pritzker’s plan but they just replaced medical requirements for moving phases with 2 week magic requirements.

We are seeing in Southern Illinois that businesses can just do what they want and the the Health Departments and State’s Attorney will not do anything. As soon as a business realizes that a 50% full dining room is not paying the bills, they will just ignore that requirement.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

dwarf74 posted:

People I know on FB are getting more and more incensed by the nonsense conspiracy theories, and I have seen that abhorrent 'plandemic' youtube thing posted no less than five times. poo poo's getting worse; this lockdown is a petri dish for radicalization.

It’s all a part of the plan sadly. Everything we are seeing is exactly as the wealthy want it. It is why we got a one time 1200 check instead of a percentage of salary every months like the rest of the world. They had the shutdown of a couple of weeks to give the illusion of doing the right thing. Then they started pushing reopening with the right wing media.

You have the conspiracy nonsense now about how CONVID is a hoax. This is being done to poison the brains of those that likely would sound the warning of the tons of deaths being ignored since you know it would be a real conspiracy.

In the next weeks you will see coverage of hospitals and the deaths fade away and all those commercials you see right now praising essential works and how we are all in this together will be changed to how strong and resilient Americans are and how we are getting things going again!

It is so plainly obvious at this point it is heartbreaking.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Yep, I've definitely been seeing some nonsense conspiracy theories

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Djarum posted:

It’s all a part of the plan sadly. Everything we are seeing is exactly as the wealthy want it.
I don't think there's a 'plan' from anyone; that seems unlikely, too. Not Plandemic-level unlikely, but I think there's much simpler explanations which don't require evil conspiracies. Kind of shotgunning here but:

* Things are scary and unstable
* Information about covid is coming from all over, without a good reality filter; more people are getting info from facebook and twitter
* People aren't interacting with others except through screens. so 'other people' start to feel more like abstractions than individuals
* Other people are, by definition, scary right now, so there's a looming sense of paranoia
* Everyone is online, all the time, where it's hard to tell fact from fiction at the best of times
* Most of life's diversions that aren't screen-based have been suspended
* All your knowledge about the world outside your door is dependent more than ever on what people are telling you, and some of them are nutjobs
* Everyone wants everything to get back to normal, and they are frustrated that it's not
* Some people are seeing major hardship because of this virus, and they are angry - angry at the folks they perceive as making it hard for them, not at the virus.
* Especially in rural areas, people aren't seeing the virus - they aren't seeing deaths, overloaded hospitals, etc. - all they are seeing is that their favorite places are all closed, they can't visit their families, and they or their friends are out of work and struggling, and they can't even go to their churches.

Like I said, all of this is just a breeding ground for radicalization. I have seen it in my Facebook feeds, more than normal.

I would be completely unsurprised to see a lot more political violence in the next month or so.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Some friends I have that I would have thought are otherwise normal and rational are posting about wanting to move to Florida because Pritzker is keeping things locked down a bit longer than other states. This is in the Chicago suburbs.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Orvin posted:

Some friends I have that I would have thought are otherwise normal and rational are posting about wanting to move to Florida because Pritzker is keeping things locked down a bit longer than other states. This is in the Chicago suburbs.
Yeah I have seen signs of increased ... uh ... irrational lines of thought ... from folks who have otherwise seemed pretty normal to this point.

I am in Bloomington/Normal, and the true costs of covid19 seem distant from here. Add in the whole 'downstate vs chicago' thing that even downstate dems often subscribe to, and it's getting hairy.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Just a reminder that a healthy majority of people approve of the shutdown. It's just a very vocal minority that is objecting. Of course the media is more than happy to give these idiots a lot of free air time, and no one is counter protesting because they're staying at home.

Frankly, I don't understand how people either think this is a hoax, or that somehow China and the Democrats have manufactured a worldwide pandemic just to hurt Trump. These people need to get their heads out of their asses.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bird in a Blender posted:

Just a reminder that a healthy majority of people approve of the shutdown. It's just a very vocal minority that is objecting. Of course the media is more than happy to give these idiots a lot of free air time, and no one is counter protesting because they're staying at home.

Frankly, I don't understand how people either think this is a hoax, or that somehow China and the Democrats have manufactured a worldwide pandemic just to hurt Trump. These people need to get their heads out of their asses.

Support is eroding and becoming increasingly partisan, unfortunately but predictably.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

brugroffil posted:

Support is eroding and becoming increasingly partisan, unfortunately but predictably.

Because the federal government did such a lousy job helping anyone out (ok, they helped giant corporations quite a bit but that doesn't put food on the table). People are out of money and that is a great way to generate a lot of unrest.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
Ya supports eroding but from like 95% favorable to 90% favorable. Even in the deep red, spread out states support is still around 60-70% favorable which is just a crazy amount of agreement across all political lines.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

Ya supports eroding but from like 95% favorable to 90% favorable. Even in the deep red, spread out states support is still around 60-70% favorable which is just a crazy amount of agreement across all political lines.
I really think it's more Chicago/Downstate at this point. That overlaps a lot with Republican/Democrat, mind you.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

xzzy posted:

Because the federal government did such a lousy job helping anyone out (ok, they helped giant corporations quite a bit but that doesn't put food on the table). People are out of money and that is a great way to generate a lot of unrest.

Yup. Give people no leadership and no real plan and no sense of economic security and oops suddenly cohesion is gone!

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

It's staying high-ish overall but it's breaking down along partisan lines and getting worse. It'll continue to get worse as the federal government continues to completely fail and as reactionary propaganda pushes anti-containment messages. You'll see support slip among independents and dems. Maybe not as bad, but it'll fall. The whole point of locking down for 8 weeks so far was to buy time to implement and execute a plan. There's no plan, so what's the point? What are you gonna do when your employer starts saying "BACK TO WORK" and your choice is starvation or significant health risk?

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1258087314561142785

I know I'm being really pessimistic but what can we point to right now that shows we'll suddenly develop the national response we need?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Nothing as far as a national response go. At best it’ll be when someone finally develops a vaccine and hopefully then we have the full push of the feds to get it across the country.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Seeing groups of kids wandering around my neighborhood, some of which are my kids' friends.

This will be a fun conversation when they see it.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’m not sure how much stock to put in some of those polls as, anecdotally speaking, I know a lot of people that say they support the social distancing guidelines, but don’t follow them particularly well.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Suntimes/status/1258773956196274176?s=20

both sides

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

States without any lock down set ups are also losing jobs massively so his orders are not the things causing this.

Also, I do not know if I see people easily returning to “normal” when they know that the virus is still spreading.

This has just shown that our entire economy is built on people spending tons of money (more money than what they have) and when people are not doing that, then everything shits itself.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

corrected:

I MISS MY PROFITS AND LAKE HOUSE

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

States without any lock down set ups are also losing jobs massively so his orders are not the things causing this.

Also, I do not know if I see people easily returning to “normal” when they know that the virus is still spreading.

This has just shown that our entire economy is built on people spending tons of money (more money than what they have) and when people are not doing that, then everything shits itself.

Belief that this is all just overblown and we can simply choose to go back to normal, no big deal, is spreading.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

brugroffil posted:

Belief that this is all just overblown and we can simply choose to go back to normal, no big deal, is spreading.

My mother won't shut up about "Five counties in southern Illinois have zero cases. FIVE! Pritzker and the rest of Chicago are completely ignorant to the situation down here!"

I at least managed to convince her to start wearing her scarf as a mask.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kerning Chameleon posted:

My mother won't shut up about "Five counties in southern Illinois have zero cases. FIVE! Pritzker and the rest of Chicago are completely ignorant to the situation down here!"

I at least managed to convince her to start wearing her scarf as a mask.
I mean, I understand from an emotional level. Downstate isn't seeing the actual danger of the disease, only the disruption of their lives.

It's short sighted yeah but that's people.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am definitely starting to see more traffic on the highways in the morning and afternoon. Nowhere near rush hour in the before times, but more than in April.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

why the hell are they whining Pritzker's plan lets different regions go to the next phase based on local metrics

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
It's because people are still holding onto some delusion that poo poo will ever completely go back to normal.

They think the government is the only thing between them and pretending this doesn't exist.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

brugroffil posted:

why the hell are they whining Pritzker's plan lets different regions go to the next phase based on local metrics

Because it's not immediately, right now, probably.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Shere posted:

It's because people are still holding onto some delusion that poo poo will ever completely go back to normal.

They think the government is the only thing between them and pretending this doesn't exist.

Its this. My mom has been talking about this being over so we can get back to the before times this summer. No matter how much I explain to her this isn't going away for at least a couple of years and we won't be going back to whatever "normal" was she refues to believe me. I do understand restrictions will be relaxed and stay at home orders will be lifted, but the virus will still be here.

People don't want to believe the paradigm has shifted because it is inconvienent and the government is an easy scapegoat since its been vilified by a political party for decades. poo poo is scary.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I mean if they do get a vaccine by next year manage to distribute it widely (less hopeful about the latter) things will get pretty close to normal, other than the gigantic recession.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

The best part of this is the intentional emphasis on MY

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Badger of Basra posted:

I mean if they do get a vaccine by next year manage to distribute it widely (less hopeful about the latter) things will get pretty close to normal, other than the gigantic recession.

Yeah, but the delusion we're up against are people who think they're going to NFL games this fall, or concerts/fairs this summer, or whatever.

Hair salons? Sure. It's a transmission risk but at least the volume is low and they keep customer logs. People will die that didn't need to, but empathy is dead and rent isn't being frozen and the thing we're most concerned about his how our hair looks during a shelter in place order.

And the cherry on top is that even with the most ideal circumstances a lot of places are going to be permanently shuttered as a result of the general recession and the blame will go on the shutdown rather than the pandemic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

This assumes the virus never mutates and it's a one-and-done type sickness. There isn't yet enough research to know one way or the other, though headlines keep popping up suggesting both possibilities depending on whether some reporter wants to harvest clicks with fear or hope. But we got a non zero possibility that for vulnerable populations this remains a significant issue forever, so hopefully there's some advances in treatments but even that is going to be many months away.

So yeah, "normal" is not happening in 2020. The world is permanently changing right now and all the protests and conspiracy bullshit is scared idiots in denial.

Jows
May 8, 2002

brugroffil posted:

They were whining on 560 this morning that people were saying you should wash your hands more. They whine because that's how they govern.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

They have the emotional maturity of a particularly lovely toddler

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

brugroffil posted:

They're stuck in the mindset that everything Pritzker does is bad because he's a Democrat from Chicago.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:nice: