Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Taking time off for literally any reason increases your rank on the 'next to go' ladder

It's because management are scum and bosses are incapable of things like empathy. Unless you work for company that actually rewards empathy and other such frivolous things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jestery posted:

Hey guys, can anyone fill me in how a mental health plan figures into your work

Sinc January, a coworker of mine is has been talking a day off a week, some times three days off due to "Mental health"

How much does my boss wanna get rid of him atm?

a mental health plan is something your GP gives you along with a referral to a psychologist. its not a 'plan' in the typical sense of the word.

most workplaces these days dont call them 'sick days' anymore, rather 'personal days'

additionally, mental health is a valid reason to use sick leave.

so they're either running down their sick leave before they leave (cool, good), taking sick leave for mental health reasons (cool, good) or your employer is loving them over given the unusual circumstances we are all in right now (uncool, bad)

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Laserface posted:

a mental health plan is something your GP gives you along with a referral to a psychologist. its not a 'plan' in the typical sense of the word.

most workplaces these days dont call them 'sick days' anymore, rather 'personal days'

additionally, mental health is a valid reason to use sick leave.

so they're either running down their sick leave before they leave (cool, good), taking sick leave for mental health reasons (cool, good) or your employer is loving them over given the unusual circumstances we are all in right now (uncool, bad)

Yeah, and incidentally how was it disclosed to you that they have a mental health plan and are taking mental health days? From the coworker themselves?

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Trip report +24 hours: arm hurts even worse and half the office were saying same thing today. Thankfully the messages went down okay. Day was incredibly strange overall though for sure and I feel exhausted with this week. Please nano bots in my body now keep me alive another day.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

The company gives us two mental wellbeing days per year to take that don't count as sick days it's pretty sweet.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

naeka posted:

Trip report +24 hours: arm hurts even worse and half the office were saying same thing today. Thankfully the messages went down okay. Day was incredibly strange overall though for sure and I feel exhausted with this week. Please nano bots in my body now keep me alive another day.

It sounds like a pretty textbook reaction, some people get horrible keloid scarring from them.

It sounds like you have gotten through the worst of it, generally the first few hours can be rough if the vaccine was compromised in some way.

if you get a rash or fevers, id go see a doc/ER

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I woke up today feeling tired for no reason and have spent the rest of the day feeling progressively more worn out. Switched to WFH for half of today and I can't be hosed to go out to my car to grab my ecig at this point.

Pretty sure I'm taking a day off tomorrow and if I do the main office is going to want me to get tested.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Yeah, he's an old friend , we've worked in the same industry for 5 years or so and he's started at my new place same time as me

He very open with having mental health issues, and I found out just shooting the poo poo with him I think. Some times hes having more personal days than working days and I'm worried

I dunno, it's just very hmmmm none of my business I guess

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Raged posted:

I woke up today feeling tired for no reason and have spent the rest of the day feeling progressively more worn out. Switched to WFH for half of today and I can't be hosed to go out to my car to grab my ecig at this point.

Pretty sure I'm taking a day off tomorrow and if I do the main office is going to want me to get tested.

Tested for drugs or covid?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
COVID I work with at risk people

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

maxe posted:

the extra fucken aggravation of buying poo poo on gumtree/FB is so rarely factored in when I see the price vs new

every time i see an ad for something i want written with no regard for a potential buyer I want to disregard it on principal but it turns out im a cheap gently caress with no principals at all :(

I only buy things that aren't made anymore off Gumtree/FB and people who are trying to get rid of old poo poo are generally very responsive.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

had an awesome moment today where i was walking down the street and walked past an ex girlfriend, we met eyes and seemingly both simultaneously decided not to talk to eachother

that is what I call dealing with a situation maturely

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Jestery posted:

Yeah, he's an old friend , we've worked in the same industry for 5 years or so and he's started at my new place same time as me

He very open with having mental health issues, and I found out just shooting the poo poo with him I think. Some times hes having more personal days than working days and I'm worried

I dunno, it's just very hmmmm none of my business I guess

Is he seeking help? If not, a nudge or encouragement from a friend might help.

Has it increased lately? Have you got a decent/compassionate boss? Is he in the union?

It’s good that you’re concerned about him, sometimes just expressing that and recommending action is enough.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Kharnifex posted:

Do you really like trains all of a sudden?

I'd scored a ½oz of weed and was somewhat wasted waiting for a train at Sutherland railway station. Platform 3.

A loving Steam Train pulled in on platform 2.

Smoking, hissing, chuffing, steaming, clanking.

Pretty loving cool.

:350:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

femcastra posted:

Is he seeking help? If not, a nudge or encouragement from a friend might help.

Has it increased lately? Have you got a decent/compassionate boss? Is he in the union?

It’s good that you’re concerned about him, sometimes just expressing that and recommending action is enough.

He's seeking help , I think for the past couple years but seemingly to no avail such is the pit of mental health. I heard though the grape vine too at his previous job he was pulling erratic personal days. I'm not sure how much good I can really do.

We worked together for a year or two in our early twenties but I left and we didn't keep in contact. I've changed a whole lot in 5 -6 years and he seems to have stagnated. So I'm stuck in an awkward position of being the default work friend to someone I'm not really friends with anymore.

There is only so much I can professionally express to him before is sort of crosses a friend-line I'm not willing to. And I think he is already seeking appropriate help for what ails him

My Boss is quite good and Understanding if not compassionate. But I don't know how much patience they have for someone who was employed on a 5 day contract but regularly only works the 3-4 days that they feel capable of that morning

I know it would do no good but I just wanna slap him and yell at him to straighten up and do poo poo right

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Airstream Driver posted:

The company gives us two mental wellbeing days per year to take that don't count as sick days it's pretty sweet.

That's super cool but also an indictment of capitalism

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Zazi posted:

That's super cool but also an indictment of capitalism

can you explain? i'm too dumb to understand.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

can you explain? i'm too dumb to understand.

I'm not trying to be super clever, but basically jobs make people want to cry and that's terrible

[edit] as far as jobs go it's super cool that the job gives sick days +time off for mental health but the clear understanding is your job is ruining your brain

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

I had an awesome moment today, whilst I was walking down the street and walked past an ex-girlfriend. We met eyes and seemingly both simultaneously decided not to talk to each other.

Now that is what I call dealing with a situation maturely.

I get weirded out when I run into my ex-gfs.

I either feel guilt 'cos I broke up with them, or guilt for them breaking up with me.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
rescuing myself from WFH doldrums by watching Deadliest Journeys and other youtube docos about people in desperately poor countries risking their lives monthly for less money than I get paid to be bored and sad by the hour

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Zazi posted:

I'm not trying to be super clever, but basically jobs make people want to cry and that's terrible

[edit] as far as jobs go it's super cool that the job gives sick days +time off for mental health but the clear understanding is your job is ruining your brain

Also two personal days is gently caress all.

I worked for a company that gave us the standard 4 weeks vacation, 2 weeks sick days. But half the sick days were personal so you have five days a year you could just not turn up. They very specifically, but unofficially, said 'as long as you're caught up, let us know if you're going on a bender and won't be in on Monday'.

Then we got bought out by a giant multinational engineering firm and it all went to poo poo. 'You won't be any worse off under new management' , they said through their teeth.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

maxe posted:

Rescuing myself from WFH doldrums by watching Deadliest Journeys and other youtube docos. About people in desperately poor countries risking their lives monthly for less money than I get paid to be bored and sad by the hour. :(

Foxtel has opened up all the Movie channels for free (CV-19 I guess). I've sorta blown through the Action and Comedy stuff. Now I'm watching the "Romantic" movie channel. If I smoke weed and drink Coopers Sparkling Ale it's all cool, but it makes me cry like a girl.

:350:

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Jestery posted:

He's seeking help , I think for the past couple years but seemingly to no avail such is the pit of mental health. I heard though the grape vine too at his previous job he was pulling erratic personal days. I'm not sure how much good I can really do.

We worked together for a year or two in our early twenties but I left and we didn't keep in contact. I've changed a whole lot in 5 -6 years and he seems to have stagnated. So I'm stuck in an awkward position of being the default work friend to someone I'm not really friends with anymore.

There is only so much I can professionally express to him before is sort of crosses a friend-line I'm not willing to. And I think he is already seeking appropriate help for what ails him

My Boss is quite good and Understanding if not compassionate. But I don't know how much patience they have for someone who was employed on a 5 day contract but regularly only works the 3-4 days that they feel capable of that morning

I know it would do no good but I just wanna slap him and yell at him to straighten up and do poo poo right

At the end of the day, you are not responsible for someone else’s mental health and wellbeing. You have made it clear that you are there, but it’s not your journey. Let yourself off the hook.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

femcastra posted:

I’ve got a mental health plan from my gp so that I could get Medicare subsidised psychologist sessions.

That’s the only application I know about for the term ‘mental health plan’, but I am not deep into it.

Taking leave for mental health just sounds like sick leave?

This is what I did as well, I got it for subsidized psychology

Airstream Driver posted:

We get 15 days of personal leave a year instead of the normal 10, I'm thinking about taking a day once this big cad project I'm working on is done just to unwind a bit

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Paging TFAB
https://twitter.com/GlennaKGill/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
There's a daily megg mogg & owl in the webcomics thread in byob.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822798&userid=130500&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

He's really good at making GBS threads out a storyline on the trot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Outrail posted:

Also two personal days is gently caress all.

It's not the best but we do get 3 weeks sick leave instead of the usual 2, plus higher super contributions than standard so it's better than most employers I've had.

It only came about after a number of lovely newsworthy issues occured to the company over a few years and the feedback from their internal surveys they were getting was either 'I want to quit' or 'working here is making me want to quit life' so this was their solution.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

well why not posted:

lol I messaged the guy saying sorry to pester but is it available? He writes back simply “yes”

look fuckwit do you actually want to sell this poo poo

for anyone invested in this GBS australia subplot wherein i use a very basic app to do a simple transaction - finally got the guy's number and address and i'm gonna pick it up soon.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Live updates from the pickup pls.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

what else would I do? Make eye contact ???

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

well why not posted:

what else would I do? Make eye contact ???

My South African (Zulu) mate told me one time that making eye contact to an elder is disrespectful in Zulu culture.

Eye contact = bad

You're supposed to look at your feet.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Coffee delivery has arrived, this month is from a mob in Melbourne and they also sent a little bar of Pana chocolate, bless em

Anyone needing coffee (and you're a sperg like me about the quality)- Criteria coffee is doing a competition at the moment if you order from them during May. First prize is a moccamaster

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

tardwrangler posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822798&userid=130500&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

If you don't want to be exposed to the other horrors of the bad webcomic thread (e.g. latex werewolves) you can also see those MM&O strips on Simon Hanselman's instagram.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
dingo-gate is tearing my neighbourhood apart and I bailed out on facebook bc of a desire to not get involved and I pretty much only use it to keep abreast of poo poo like this. Nobody actually has nearly enough land to get a permit to shoot them bc we're all either tree-change city fuckwits like me or obnoxious horse people and last night someone was very obviously hunting a bunch of them and its popping off and the cops are involved and everything

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tardwrangler posted:

pro click, that was loving great.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Went and got tested for covid today. Yeah that nasal swab suuuccckkss

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I've had one of those nasal swabs before and it was bloody awful. No warning or anything, I expected them to be taking a little swab from the inside of my nose and then all of a sudden they shoved this thing in so far it dead set hit my optic nerve.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Raged posted:

Went and got tested for covid today. Yeah that nasal swab suuuccckkss

its pretty bad but honestly at least it was over with quickly, my lab lady got in and out quicker than 17 yo me

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Airstream Driver posted:

It's not the best but we do get 3 weeks sick leave instead of the usual 2, plus higher super contributions than standard so it's better than most employers I've had.

It only came about after a number of lovely newsworthy issues occured to the company over a few years and the feedback from their internal surveys they were getting was either 'I want to quit' or 'working here is making me want to quit life' so this was their solution.

LOL

"Working here is making me suicidal."
"UHG. FINE. You can have one (1) extra weekend this year to get your poo poo together. You're welcome by the way."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

its pretty bad but honestly at least it was over with quickly, my lab lady got in and out quicker than 17 yo me

I do have to say Westmead's testing clinic ran like clockwork. I was in and out in about 10 minutes. I feel like complete poo poo though. hope its anything but the roni