Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BRB. Gonna' go watch Hudsucker Proxy. I don't remember what happens in it so it'll be like seeing it again for the first time. New Coens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

faulkner is the greatest american author and the only problem with his nobel prize for literature was that it took so drat long. Sound And The Fury is my favourite book. though i havent read it in a decade. i agree it can be hard to get into. i like puzzles and interpreting things so i liked benji's section a lot even on first read. quentin is what blew me away though. but i identified a lot with him and still sort of do. so that could be part of it.

the road sucks. book and movie. bland, boring prose. i hate the lovely "whiskey drinkin stoic masculinity" cormac tries so hard to trade in. you say hes tryinig to be faulkner but hes much more hemmingway in that regard. and hemmingway can eat my entire rear end.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

im ornery today. sorry friends. we are all friends here. i would hug you, with friendship if i could. but i cant. not because we're not friends though. we definitely are.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Faulkner owns, absolutely wouldn't argue with anyone who says he's the great American novelist. I vacillate between him, Vonnegut, and Melville. Cormac sucks. I like Hemingway but I can't defend him. I like his 20's Parisian memoir where Fitzgerald asks him to judge his cock size.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.honeycopy.com/copywritingblog/hemingway-and-fitzgerald

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzSVmsrJEzk

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
some Coen Brothers movies i really liked a lot (Lebowski, True Grit) and some i really didn't like a lot (No Country, O Brother). those are the only 4 i've seen.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just got an email to confirm my email for an account on a legitimate website I did not sign up for. Not only did I not sign up for it, the email wasn't in my name either. I already emailed their support to be like yo this wasn't me please delete the account but it's still super creepy.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I just got an email to confirm my email for an account on a legitimate website I did not sign up for. Not only did I not sign up for it, the email wasn't in my name either. I already emailed their support to be like yo this wasn't me please delete the account but it's still super creepy.

That's happened to me a few times over the years. Eventually everything gets breached as far as info goes. Just have to keep bouncing passwords and emails and stay ahead of it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

never written a drat thing

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

That's happened to me a few times over the years. Eventually everything gets breached as far as info goes. Just have to keep bouncing passwords and emails and stay ahead of it.

I mean I've been changing my password like crazy over the last few weeks. One thing that has changed recently is the email is a little more visible (I think) because the email is associated with an account that helps to run something. I can't just ditch the email completely though because so much of my stuff is connected to it and whatnot.

Guess I can just hope the site will delete the account and whatever attempted monkey business never goes on, since I obviously didn't confirm the email with the account.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
AFAIK McCarthy never talks about whiskey drinking with any affection and the only real heavy drinking I can think of is Suttree, whose alcoholism is a heavy part of his characterization because the whole thing is him trying to chase off his own death, and the band of rangers in Blood Meridian.

I would argue most of his characters are hardly ever stoic; most of them seem very confused by what their American masculinity demands of them and what their own rationality tells them and typically make bad decisions because of that. John Grady is a brutally hopeless romantic, Llewelyn Moss’s belief in his American invincibility is fatally flawed, the Counselor believes loving a woman and being smart and savvy will save him from drug lords, etc.

I don’t think there’s much to the idea that McCarthy/Hemingway line up other than both being American authors. McCarthy is extremely fatalistic and holds a lot of Hemingway-type characters in complete contempt. Hemingway’s writing is very concerned with ideals and basically every ideal is talked about in McCarthy as futile unless you’re in control of vast swaths of money.

Faulkner is part of a whole line of fiction where nothing loving happens but it’s written well, and I can’t stand that kind of fiction. See also: Suttree, The Orchard Keeper, Inner Dark. I don’t think it’s a puzzle or hard to get into, it is just devoid of actionable interesting things.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I really like Philip K Dick, how about him? Here’s one of my most favorite opening lines, from The Divine Invasion:

It came time to put Manny in a school.

Look at that; it’s lovely.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I mean I've been changing my password like crazy over the last few weeks. One thing that has changed recently is the email is a little more visible (I think) because the email is associated with an account that helps to run something. I can't just ditch the email completely though because so much of my stuff is connected to it and whatnot.

Guess I can just hope the site will delete the account and whatever attempted monkey business never goes on, since I obviously didn't confirm the email with the account.

A few times I've had random "click to verify your account" emails and it turns out the person had a typo and it got sent to a username that was like one character off from mine - so it could have been something like that and not a data breach, hopefully. Unfortunately those breaches are happening near daily nowadays as IT security is still awful among most big companies. Some of the poo poo I've seen working in the industry I do would cause most people to freak out and go off grid forever.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Is it like a paid account of some sort of just some random message board or something? Is it something embarrassing?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Carlisle posted:

A few times I've had random "click to verify your account" emails and it turns out the person had a typo and it got sent to a username that was like one character off from mine - so it could have been something like that and not a data breach, hopefully. Unfortunately those breaches are happening near daily nowadays as IT security is still awful among most big companies. Some of the poo poo I've seen working in the industry I do would cause most people to freak out and go off grid forever.

There's another aspect of it that is "wrong, but on the nose wrong enough to still be super creepy" that I won't get into here, but yeah.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

There's another aspect of it that is "wrong, but on the nose wrong enough to still be super creepy" that I won't get into here, but yeah.

Yeah anytime I get one of those emails I instantly get really paranoid thoughts like "Oh great, what got hacked today and which account will I have to spend the next month on proving identity theft so all of my money isn't gone" due to things that have happened to people close to me so I feel you.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Brut posted:

Is it like a paid account of some sort of just some random message board or something? Is it something embarrassing?

Not paid, and also not embarrassing. It was from OfferUp which seems to be some kinda e-commerce deal where people can transactionally trade poo poo like eBay or CraigsList?

Whatever the case I didn't sign up for it and the name attached to the welcome email was not mine.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The last like 30 minutes of Come and See where the Nazis burn down the village is the most nightmarish thing I've seen put to film.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

What's the worst movie you've all seen?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

don't ever send me your ssn or anything very sensitive because i've been having people unsuccessfully trying to log into my steam account from russian and china for like 3 years across multiple computers and countless weekly password charges including off of fresh installs of windows on otherwise empty hard drives so idk

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NienNunb posted:

Faulkner owns, absolutely wouldn't argue with anyone who says he's the great American novelist. I vacillate between him, Vonnegut, and Melville. Cormac sucks. I like Hemingway but I can't defend him. I like his 20's Parisian memoir where Fitzgerald asks him to judge his cock size.

Even if Vonnegut wasn’t a hometown hero, I’d still put him ahead of Faulkner. Less ornamentation and far more willing to point out dick metaphors.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Tarzan the Ape Man
A Letter from Death Row
I guess Birdemic is technically the worst movie I’ve seen but it’s pretty weird and funny so idk

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Gravity

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Not paid, and also not embarrassing. It was from OfferUp which seems to be some kinda e-commerce deal where people can transactionally trade poo poo like eBay or CraigsList?

Whatever the case I didn't sign up for it and the name attached to the welcome email was not mine.

Oh that's weird, that site kinda seems scammy to begin with, craigslist still exists and they don't take a cut :shrug:

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
Monster A-Go-Go is the worst movie ever made

my email address is a very common name at gmail and i get a lot of old people using my email to sign up for all sorts of things.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Brut posted:

Oh that's weird, that site kinda seems scammy to begin with, craigslist still exists and they don't take a cut :shrug:

I mean yeah it seems kinda sketch but it's obviously real because people use it so :shrug:

Anyway they disabled the account so yay I guess.

Seth Rollins posted:

Monster A-Go-Go is the worst movie ever made

my email address is a very common name at gmail and i get a lot of old people using my email to sign up for all sorts of things.

The email in question I use is also a gmail with a fairly boilerplate format of letters and numbers so I could see that being the case here too, the only disconcerting part was the inaccurate name is nowhere near my own (it doesn't even contain a single common letter that's anywhere in the email) and there was another thing that was oddly on the nose about the name that's not mine that was used.

Just very weird and I've been having a disproportionate amount of wonky security stuff happen lately so it's just strange all put together.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 8, 2020

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Paper Lion posted:

faulkner is the greatest american author and the only problem with his nobel prize for literature was that it took so drat long. Sound And The Fury is my favourite book. though i havent read it in a decade. i agree it can be hard to get into. i like puzzles and interpreting things so i liked benji's section a lot even on first read. quentin is what blew me away though. but i identified a lot with him and still sort of do. so that could be part of it.

the road sucks. book and movie. bland, boring prose. i hate the lovely "whiskey drinkin stoic masculinity" cormac tries so hard to trade in. you say hes tryinig to be faulkner but hes much more hemmingway in that regard. and hemmingway can eat my entire rear end.

The whole point of The Road is that the apocalypse would loving suck and if you think you'd survive it you wouldn't and would, in fact, die screaming and probably get eaten

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Verotika can best be described as "Danzig directed a horror film and it's exactly the amount of quality you'd expect"
A Serbian Film, the Human Centipede films, and Salo were all various levels of unpleasant disgusting that I never want to sit through again
Daniel Ferrands made two bad exploitative films back-to-back (Haunting of Sharon Tate, and Murder of Nicole Brown Simpson)
The Snowman is, on top of everything else, just straight-up unfinished and a significant amount of the IMDB film trivia acknowledges that fact
Of the MST3K type stuff, Manos is the only one I actually had trouble sitting through even with people making fun of it audibly
The Village and Curse of La Llorona were the only films I fell asleep during in theaters

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the worst movie i've ever seen is chasing amy

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Captain Magic posted:

The Coens are phenomenal except for the Hudsucker Proxy and Intolerable Cruelty.

Hudsucker Proxy rules actually and is just more proof that Tim Robbins is the actually good version of Warren Beatty

Mr. Carlisle posted:

In theaters: An American Carol
On video: Immortal Ad Vitam, which is in that post-AOTC wave of digital backlot movies but unlike something like Sky Captain which is just fun about it, is an impenetrable story about an Egyptian God doing date rape. Thankfully I already spent like two hours talking about it with Have You Seen This? so I've already put my thoughts on record.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 8, 2020

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I’m not going to argue anyone’s qualities over Beatty or Robbins but man the central love tension is just not there at all for me, and Intolerable Cruelty has the same exact issue.

Hudsucker Proxy has a lot of good gags; it’s not without many good parts

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I fell asleep during the 300 sequel, the caveman soccer movie from Aardman, and the latest Laika movie.

The only movies I ever walked out of were both when I was a kid, FairyTale because it was boring and Mission to Mars because a man exploded and I couldn’t handle that at 10.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Raising the titanic
Foodfight

Hands down worst things I’ve ever seen. I’m convinced raising was done as a cruel joke on the cast.

Foodfight inflicted significant damage upon my self. If I ever meet the creatives behind that there will be violence.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

My dad and I walked out of Step Brothers so that.

Also Deathstalker. I'm still not sure what the plot was or who anyone was but there was a lot of rape.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The worst movie I've ever seen was Swordfish because everyone involved could have done better and didn't

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The worst movie I've ever seen was Swordfish because everyone involved could have done better and didn't

I did however learn that you type faster (and hack better?) if you suddenly stand up at your keyboard.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
i fell asleep in the theater during Undercover Brother (2002), and Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

another very bad movie is called the ninth gate. i got into the movie theater at age 13 even though it was rated r and the film was punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

the worst movie experiences i ever had are a tie between dogtooth and dogville. i think dogville is the worse film though.