Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

having recently watched The Wild Goose Lake, this is very unpleasant to see

Ayyy, same here! Did you see it at a film fest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BMan posted:

It's true, anime has taught me that working out makes you invincible

100 pushups, 100 squats and a 10km run every day.

Your hair might fall out but you'll be able to survive the hard vacuum of space by just pinching your nostrils shut.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

PirateDentist posted:

I know we'd get in trouble if when parked we didn't angle down the forks so the tips were on the ground, in effort to create as small a tripping hazard as they could reasonable have.

I can always tell when one of our operators has left his forks off the ground because when they see me approach, they run back to the machine. It’s common knowledge I will simply take the keys and throw them when I encounter that situation. I’ve got no patience for that poo poo.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Sininu posted:

That's 100% the operator's fault. She could've paid more attention, but as the operator you are supposed to keep the forks just slightly above the ground any time you aren't doing actual work with them that needs it. If you haven't seen that rule in instructional video then it will become obvious to you after you yourself walk into the forks of your own forklift. They are surprisingly difficult to notice.

See also: the red tags on airplanes that say "remove before takeoff" so that you don't ram your head into the airframe as you're walking around it.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
I had to tie little pink surveyor's tape streamers to the guy lines on the awning we have outside because otherwise I'll walk into them or trip over them. They are safety orange.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Nocheez posted:

That lady would have lost it after running over the forks on the ground, but taking them to the face had to be a life-altering event. Ouch!

She'd have been more likely to see them, as you generally expect to see road obstacles, well, on the road

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aim the forks directly at the person in order to minimize their cross section, thereby minimizing the odds of impact. Duh.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sex Skeleton posted:

See also: the red tags on airplanes that say "remove before takeoff" so that you don't ram your head into the airframe as you're walking around it.

Those are usually attached to little covers/plugs that keep bugs and dirt from getting into something delicate like the pitot (airspeed sensor) system, or to pins that lock parts in place while the plane is on the ground. The red tag is so that you remember to remove it because attempting to take off with ports plugged or moving parts pinned is a bad idea.

If you hang around Cessnas you'll smack your head into the ailerons on a regular basis until you learn better

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sex Skeleton posted:

I had to tie little pink surveyor's tape streamers to the guy lines on the awning we have outside because otherwise I'll walk into them or trip over them. They are safety orange.

The mind has an incredible ability to edit out annoying little things like that, especially when they're encountered frequently.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Some of the scariest OSHAs are when it's clear that it's a technique the person has been using for a long time and is very well practiced at.

e: I know I've posted about it before, but maybe it was in the previous iteration of this thread: that video of the lady running into the forklift should give anybody who's ever worked on an aircraft carrier some serious sympathy, because the F/A-18 has a ton of stuff that hangs right at forehead level, and FOD walkdown requires you to walk through a hangar bay full of the things while carefully looking down at the ground instead of looking up to watch out for weapon racks and stabilators. The more conscientious squadrons put foam pool noodles on the most bonkable parts of the wings and tail, but still, pretty much everyone is destined to smack their heads into something a few times.

Reminds me of driving past a refinery in Laurel, Montana, and in front of a walkway, there was a sign reading, "BE COGNIZANT OF LOW HANGING PIPES."

I feel that using a word like "cognizant," which is a great word, don't get me wrong...is maybe the sort of thing that will cause someone to keep walking while puzzling out what the sign means, only to ram crown-first into a low hanging pipe.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

More pollen content:

https://twitter.com/Sci_Phile/status/1258490464166203397

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Not actually pollen, it's the fluff that helps aspen seeds disperse

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I believe the scientific term is floof poof

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sagebrush posted:

Those are usually attached to little covers/plugs that keep bugs and dirt from getting into something delicate like the pitot (airspeed sensor) system, or to pins that lock parts in place while the plane is on the ground. The red tag is so that you remember to remove it because attempting to take off with ports plugged or moving parts pinned is a bad idea.

If you hang around Cessnas you'll smack your head into the ailerons on a regular basis until you learn better

Didn't we have a fatal crash where the pilot either neglected his pre-flight walkaround or got distracted during, and he forgot to pull the fork off of the empennage? It was probably the last thing on his mind as he augered in.

e: yeah: the Katz crash: https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/20150408_Voice_recordings_released_from_jet_crash_that_killed_Lewis_Katz__6_others.html

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/Es4Snq2.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PainterofCrap posted:

Didn't we have a fatal crash where the pilot either neglected his pre-flight walkaround or got distracted during, and he forgot to pull the fork off of the empennage? It was probably the last thing on his mind as he augered in.

e: yeah: the Katz crash: https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/20150408_Voice_recordings_released_from_jet_crash_that_killed_Lewis_Katz__6_others.html

That sounds like they never even got off the ground, they just crashed at the end of the runway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

Yep, a number of planes have crashed for that sort of reason. In the example you posted, it was the gust lock -- a device that holds the control surfaces in place on the ground so that they don't bang around in the wind.

Verifying that your controls are working is part of every aircraft's pre-takeoff checklist. The callout is something like "controls free and correct." Free, making sure that all mechanical locks are removed and the pilot's seat is adjusted so that the yoke/stick can reach its full range of travel without hitting anything (like your thighs). Correct, making sure that the control surfaces actually move as they're supposed to -- for instance, that rolling left raises the aileron on the left wing and vice versa. There have been a couple of horrifying cases where mechanics hooked up some control cables backwards and the error wasn't discovered until the airplane was off the ground.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Yep, a number of planes have crashed for that sort of reason. In the example you posted, it was the gust lock -- a device that holds the control surfaces in place on the ground so that they don't bang around in the wind.

Verifying that your controls are working is part of every aircraft's pre-takeoff checklist. The callout is something like "controls free and correct." Free, making sure that all mechanical locks are removed and the pilot's seat is adjusted so that the yoke/stick can reach its full range of travel without hitting anything (like your thighs). Correct, making sure that the control surfaces actually move as they're supposed to -- for instance, that rolling left raises the aileron on the left wing and vice versa. There have been a couple of horrifying cases where mechanics hooked up some control cables backwards and the error wasn't discovered until the airplane was off the ground.

Some people prefer inverted controls. Make sure you check when your friend hands the controls over to you.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

That's Doom Guy right there up that demon tree.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

this gotta be on purpose

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ghost Rider reboot looking low-budget.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

PainterofCrap posted:

sounds like it should have had an alarm/interlock on it

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

this gotta be on purpose

He lights his cigarette twice to give her a chance to spray the stuff directly at the flame.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sininu posted:

That's 100% the operator's fault. She could've paid more attention, but as the operator you are supposed to keep the forks just slightly above the ground any time you aren't doing actual work with them that needs it. If you haven't seen that rule in instructional video then it will become obvious to you after you yourself walk into the forks of your own forklift. They are surprisingly difficult to notice.

He looks like,he’s checking his phone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Piss Meridian posted:

sounds like it should have had an alarm/interlock on it

The article said there is an interlock that prevents the throttle from going above taxi speeds, but a pair of sunglasses had fallen into it and possibly blocked the interlock from functioning.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Irrespective it,looks incredibly satisfying

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

why does the fire department make pollen

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Scratch Monkey posted:

This sounds like the story from WWI when after the point where steel helmets were mandated the rate of injury from shelling soared because all those people who used to outright die from getting hit in the head with shrapnel now were just getting injured. High command's initial reaction was supposedly to rescind the use of helmets to bring those rates down.

This is from a few pages back but it absolutely reminded me of a situation I was in when i was part of the org team for a fest-scale LARP system in the UK.
For those who dont know, LARP combat involves swinging weapons made of closed-cell foam around a flexible core at people. The rule is to pull your blows as even a foam sword is going to concuss you/break your glasses/gently caress your eyes if you get hit at full whack. Having said that, sometimes people got a bit carried away, or someone stepped into a swing or dodged the wrong way or whatever, so we had a number of minor head injuries every year. Nothing serious thankfully, but enough that our insurance was getting a bit nervous. The rules committee came up with a plan to solve it. They made it so that the head was no longer a valid location for hit damage. If you got hit, you lost hit points in that location and, if the location points went to zero then that location was disabled - head or torso at 0 meant you were unconscious. So, if the head stopped being a location, damage to your head no longer counted. The idea being that it would strongly encourage people to aim for the body or limbs instead.

The year that this rule went into effect, our head injury rate went up. Because people started using their heads to parry.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
We used sabre masks for stick-fighting, if it was good enough for rattan it would probably hold up to foam.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Zopotantor posted:

why does the fire department make pollen

it's part of their reproductive cycle

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That survivor bias with the helmets thing reminds me of that clear bolt of logic when it came to considering where to armor aircraft.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The more conscientious squadrons put foam pool noodles on the most bonkable parts of the wings and tail,

Wingnut ninja fucks planes

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress the plane

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

WarpedNaba posted:

That survivor bias with the helmets thing reminds me of that clear bolt of logic when it came to considering where to armor aircraft.

What’s in the middle of the wings that’s so lethal? Fuel tanks?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lazyhound posted:

Hypothetical weak points.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Survivorship-bias.png

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Lazyhound posted:

I'm not an expert, but looking at it, I'd say that's probably one of the areas of the wing that has the most tension in it. The propellers are pulling the plane forward with the wing tips creating drag going backwards. If I were trying to rip off a wing of that plane, I'd do my best to weaken that middle area because that's where the different forces acting on the plane would have the most interaction. (in my non expert opinion).

fixed your link.
Edit: Thought you were trying to link the actual article.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 8, 2020

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
fuckin plane designers and their load bearing wings :rolleye:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AFewBricksShy posted:

fixed your link.

Works fine on my machine.

Here is the file’s description:

quote:

English: Illustration of hypothetical damage pattern on a WW2 bomber, dot pattern roughly based on that given at http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2010/09/counterintuitive-world which gives credit to Cameron Moll. This file was derived from: PV-1 BuAer 3 side view.jp

That illustration, in turn, appears to be an artist’s conception, not based in any wartime data.

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

Wooper posted:

fuckin plane designers and their load bearing wings :rolleye:

It's all black magic nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Alkydere posted:

The one and ONLY forklift accident that wasn't the operator's fault.

Craptacular posted:

Well she should have paid better attention, but it was probably difficult to see those thin forks at the angle she was at. What's the best practice for setting the height of the forks when not in use?

That was 1000% the operator's fault. Unless you're lifting something, you keep the forks a foot or so off the ground. When you're driving, you keep the forks parallel with the ground, when you're parked, tips down, touching the ground.