Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

I was very excited to see her aggravate and defeat Leyonhjelm

Oh same, but a more accurate thing to say would be “this thread only likes defamation as a weapon against people they don’t like”

Or only when used to protect a discriminated against class like women, aboriginal people, etc

I’m okay with either of those being used to describe my views on it :shrug:

if the ends aren’t what you think justifies the means you’re just circle jerking about process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

Federal Labor's big spending education and health policies appear set for the chopping block as Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese warns his shadow cabinet that COVID-19 and its legacy will define politics for a generation.

Ah yes, like how western economies went full austerity to recover from WWII.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

iajanus posted:

The people saying so seem pretty confident, and that's usually a good sign of who is knowledgeable on Facebook.

Just lol.

Also are we so starved for news that a rich suburb spat is counted as news? Or is it a sign of how we value people differe tly. If this happened elsewhere is sydney, somewhere less expensive, it wouldn't be anywhere.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Hard to spend money when you are the official national opposition.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I thought that was a good one :)

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Labor weren't going to have big spending opposition policies anyway after the last cycle, this is just good cover.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I know I can not wait until we are a one party nation

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Labor had some expensive policies but electors didn't want them because they can't understand anything more complex than a personal tax cut.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

JBP posted:

Labor had some expensive policies but electors didn't want them because they can't understand anything more complex than a personal tax cut.

I know but...gently caress man

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Oh same, but a more accurate thing to say would be “this thread only likes defamation as a weapon against people they don’t like”

Or only when used to protect a discriminated against class like women, aboriginal people, etc

if the ends aren’t what you think justifies the means you’re just circle jerking about process

It's okay to make up incorrect statements about people?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Stevefin posted:

I know I can not wait until we are a one party nation

Already a one nation party

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
John Howard Island

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

abigserve posted:

it's not much fun hitting it at full speed on a bike thanks mate
Should have been wearing a full face helmet.

Poo chat!!!! I'm so excited right now!

Turns out in NSW the laws are the same for horses and dogs:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-16/horse-owners-urged-to-clean-up-their-pets-poo-in-public/6549144

However police continue to be utter scum who consider themselves above the law:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...d0b138e10d01a95

quote:

NSW Police have defended the right of horses to poop in Sydney’s city streets Heather McNab, CENtRAL August 3, 2017 12:37pm

Redfern locals left to pick up police poo

The NSW Police Force has defended its decision to not clean up after its horses when they drop waste in the streets by saying that people like to collect the manure for their personal use. Last week Central Sydney revealed a loophole under state legislation which defines­ horses as vehicles rather than animals, excluding them from laws which require ratepayers to clean up after their pets. Under the NSW Companion Animals Act 1998 City of Sydney rangers can issue on the spot fines of up to $275 each time locals fail to pick up their pets waste. The exemption has left locals­ around Surry Hills and Redfern to clean up after the horses from the Mounted Unit, who leave their droppings along public streets while on duty – to the ire of some. NSW Police have hit back at suggestions they should pick up after themselves by pointing out that many people­ go searching for horse manure to use in their own properties.

A police spokesmen said residents of Redfern should be used to cleaning up after Massa by now. They didn't use those precise words.

-/-

Polls we all love a poll!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-06/andrew-constance-withdraws-from-race-for-eden-monaro/12219156

The Eden Monaro by election has been preceded by an astonishing round of smack our selves in the testes with a lump hammer by the LNP/Nationals party. It lost it's 'bell weather' status at the last federal election but must have some representative insight into the collective dismal psyche of the Australian populous. And this isn't just any old by election. A win by the forces of darkness would consolidate their grip on emergency powers. It being returned to the ALP would continue this government on a knifes edge to oblivion where a single mistep by Angus Taylor could send them into minority government or indeed a couple of badly timed Covid deaths rob them of government entirely.

For me the question isn't so much "How can the LNP/National coalition gently caress up so badly and spectacularily in such a high stakes game" as "How can the electorate not punish such obviously self serving and incompetent buffoons". Watch as they waddle it in. Then abandon all hope for next Federal election regardless of the poll results.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cedar Meats cluster is going ham. 62 cases, not all workers. Lots of contacts including aged care and stuff. Testing blitz has been extremely good though as far as getting info.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
There seems to be a bit of weirdness about when one of the employees was last at work. Is someone cooking the books?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Before Times posted:

There seems to be a bit of weirdness about when one of the employees was last at work. Is someone cooking the books?

Absolutely.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I wish albo would shut the gently caress up he's saying the right things but Christ he's like a text to speech machine

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

JBP posted:

I wish albo would shut the gently caress up he's saying the right things but Christ he's like a text to speech machine

He has said the plan is clear. It's all good now.

Purk
Aug 9, 2017
Economy. Economy. Economy first. Society second.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Zenithe posted:

He has said the plan is clear. It's all good now.

update, the plan is a massive flowchart he held on an a4 sheet of paper.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Zenithe posted:

update, the plan is a massive flowchart he held on an a4 sheet of paper.

JOBS -> GROWTH

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cartoon posted:

Should have been wearing a full face helmet.

Poo chat!!!! I'm so excited right now!

Turns out in NSW the laws are the same for horses and dogs:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-16/horse-owners-urged-to-clean-up-their-pets-poo-in-public/6549144

However police continue to be utter scum who consider themselves above the law:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...d0b138e10d01a95

A police spokesmen said residents of Redfern should be used to cleaning up after Massa by now. They didn't use those precise words.

Me dumping pigs heads on the cop shop front porch: SOME PEOPLE PAY VERY WELL FOR PIGS HEADS.

Purk
Aug 9, 2017
Two whole months to move through all the steps to normality. That seems unlikely.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

He is so loving bad at this.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/politicsabc/status/1258585983617912833?s=20

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Am I missing something or is Morrison talking about this completely pointless when the states have already made it clear they'll be doing things at their own pace?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I think the timelines might be fungible but they're going for a coherent message across the country as to what each stage looks like.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They said it's totally up to the states as to when they implement these guidelines (and I guess to what degree).

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

freebooter posted:

Am I missing something or is Morrison talking about this completely pointless when the states have already made it clear they'll be doing things at their own pace?

States will implement at their own pace, just looks the guidelines are standardised.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

A nationally standard strategy is the right way to do it, and that's what this is. Implementation of the strategy doesn't have to be uniform in lock step because the sort of unintended consequences like businesses moving to "more open" states isn't going to happen while travel restrictions still exist. The messaging about "we are all doing it the same but at our own pace" at least gets everybody talking about the same thing though.

The overall timeline of a few months does seem heroic though.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
"But we’ve gotta get out from under the doona at some time. And if not now, well, then when?"

Can we just cancel his analogies? This one is even worse as yes, we could stay under the doona for another 2 months and we'd be safer for it even if the economy wouldn't be.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Solemn Sloth posted:

While I think there should be some redress for people knowingly making untrue statements in a public sphere, the current system offers no official intermediate step between "do nothing" and "sue the guy". Surely there should be some facility to force the people involved to try to resolve problems before they become embroiled in the court system?

My parents lived in a town where a guys life was made miserable because someone who didn't like him spread rumours that he was a paedophile. He tried to get the person spreading the rumour to stop and when they played dumb, his choices (besides moving) were to accept that a large chunk of the community were excluding him and his family/vandalizing his house for something that wasn't true, or sue the person who started this rumour for defamation to try and get rid of this reputation that was now following him around.

So he spent a small fortune suing them, it became a huge spectacle, and the situation had gotten so far out of hand he felt like he had to follow the process through to the end rather than settling it quietly out of court.

Thing is, this story could have ended very differently if the other guy had more resources to fight it in court - a lawyer could delay and stall and appeal until the other side runs out of cash to fight it. If the verdict is largely a product of how much money both of the parties have to fight this in court, the system needs to change.

Purk
Aug 9, 2017

Les Affaires posted:

The overall timeline of a few months does seem heroic though.

Ah he's already clarified that with July being the best case scenario and that it could take longer.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

froglet posted:

While I think there should be some redress for people knowingly making untrue statements in a public sphere, the current system offers no official intermediate step between "do nothing" and "sue the guy". Surely there should be some facility to force the people involved to try to resolve problems before they become embroiled in the court system?

My parents lived in a town where a guys life was made miserable because someone who didn't like him spread rumours that he was a paedophile. He tried to get the person spreading the rumour to stop and when they played dumb, his choices (besides moving) were to accept that a large chunk of the community were excluding him and his family/vandalizing his house for something that wasn't true, or sue the person who started this rumour for defamation to try and get rid of this reputation that was now following him around.

So he spent a small fortune suing them, it became a huge spectacle, and the situation had gotten so far out of hand he felt like he had to follow the process through to the end rather than settling it quietly out of court.

Thing is, this story could have ended very differently if the other guy had more resources to fight it in court - a lawyer could delay and stall and appeal until the other side runs out of cash to fight it. If the verdict is largely a product of how much money both of the parties have to fight this in court, the system needs to change.

Isn't court mediation a requirement before a trial?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Sweet, so in Stage 3 Melbourne can start hosting home games at the MCG again

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

quote:

As I said the other day, it's like the emu and the kangaroo, they go forward, not backwards. And that's how this has to work.

we're all going to die

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Mad Katter posted:

we're all going to die

gently caress off with this bullshit

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay6GjmiJTPM&t=165s

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Quantum Shart posted:

I think the timelines might be fungible but they're going for a coherent message across the country as to what each stage looks like.

Strong "email from middle management" vibes here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

froglet posted:

From memory I think you're in WA, but in Vic it isn't true to say there's no official intermediate step between nothing or court. In some disputes here, mediation is a mandatory step before court proceedings. There are a heap of alternative dispute resolution methods, which cases can go to before court. Here there's also a Dispute Settlement Centre which can hear all kinds of matters, and also offers free mediation.

If there's an honest misunderstanding then mediation can absolutely be a useful step. If there's a personal vendetta, which it sounds like your story was driven by, I honestly can't picture any other way of getting them to stop than court proceedings. People who go around making poo poo up on a personal vendetta aren't often operating in good faith (which mediation basically requires), so if they won't stop after being asked nicely, then of course cases will tend to escalate.