Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Elias_Maluco posted:

I was under the impression everyone knew about the robohobo strategizing for the whole world? I mean, the creator was considered having saved humanity with it, wanst it? People just didint knew what was on their profiles

That part was a little confusing to me, but how could people not know?

I was definitely under the impression that people didn't know. Didn't people not even know Serac existed until he was buying out Delos?

edit: This is my 17,000th post on these silly forums. I've wasted my life.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

thrawn527 posted:

I was definitely under the impression that people didn't know. Didn't people not even know Serac existed until he was buying out Delos?

Yeah, they say that.

But also Willian knew about him cause he sold him the data? He talks about that in one of the last episodes

I dont know

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, they say that.

But also Willian knew about him cause he sold him the data? He talks about that in one of the last episodes

I dont know

Sure, William knew about him. So did Hale. But the vast majority of people had no idea who he was. And, I believe, they had no idea about the Robohobobobo AI system either.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I don't know if it's meant to be the case that people know about the super-AI but they definitely know what Incite Inc is involved in:
https://twitter.com/WestworldHBO/status/1192968247114633222?s=20

Plus Dempsey Jr. is a giant playboy failson billionaire so the public has to be generally aware that that company is super-loaded and they do poo poo with data, at the very least.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I’ve started watching the first season again and gently caress me the difference in quality is staggering.

The first season is one of my favourite shows ever, but I’d never recommend it to anyone because then they’d feel like they ought to watch the next two and it’s better they don’t.

Just to add onto this, the first episode alone is a million miles away from the generic sci-fi of S3, it’s like a different show. It’s compelling, the concepts are interesting, I’d swear even the acting from Maeve and Dolores is better (probably just better written). Whoever they wrangled in to fix the scripts for S1, they need to get them back.

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 6, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Also this show didn't know what it had in Jimmi Simpson and is worse without him

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Also this show didn't know what it had in Jimmi Simpson and is worse without him

Oh god yeah, he was great. Total missed opportunity, not making a companion robot out of him for Dolores to face off against Ed Harris.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Oh god yeah, he was great. Total missed opportunity, not making a companion robot out of him for Dolores to face off against Ed Harris.

Especially with Ed Harris half-assing it, Jeffrey Wright off in no man's land doing whatever he was with Bonus Hemsworth and Thandie Newton being reduced to stunt double most of the time

Simpson would've brought it

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

quidditch it and quit it posted:

I’ve started watching the first season again and gently caress me the difference in quality is staggering.

The first season is one of my favourite shows ever, but I’d never recommend it to anyone because then they’d feel like they ought to watch the next two and it’s better they don’t.

Just to add onto this, the first episode alone is a million miles away from the generic sci-fi of S3, it’s like a different show. It’s compelling, the concepts are interesting, I’d swear even the acting from Maeve and Dolores is better (probably just better written). Whoever they wrangled in to fix the scripts for S1, they need to get them back.

The first season is Jurassic Park. The others are the sequels. It's not like they don't have good parts, but the first one is the best!

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
If people didn't know what Insight was or how it controlled everything about them, then why did they just up and burn the world down* when they found out what it thought of them?

Like if a techbro company accidentally sent out its life profile of you, to you, would you start killing people because it said you were an idiot deviant and should be denied any job with long poles? Of course you wouldn't you would be pissed off and contact a lawyer to start litigation. However, if your own Government did the same it would be a different matter. The gravity you would give to these profiles would be directly proportional to how powerful you considered who had made and used the profile.

It is one of many things about the world of WW, that makes no sense at all. Like how is destroying the one tool, the ASI, that could be used to usher in a utopia for all mankind and hostkind, a good way to usher in a utopia for all mankind and hostkind? Surely subverting it and repurposing it would have been better than litterally burning the world down and accepting gigadeath. Just come up with an infertility drug than would reduce human population to 2% of its current amount and use it. Nah, gigadeath it is.

*I don't think world society has broken down, we are just seeing those most negatively affected by being controlled. They did this extremely ham fistedly because they showed everybody having a breakdown, in the background, around the main characters. Those people who are doing well, or even ok, would be super happy to keep the status quo as it is. The show runners communicated this very extremely poorly.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 7, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
^^ probably these Hollywood ultra libertarian types think nation states have nothing against the mega corp IT companies.

Also I like how wiping out the super mega computer brain will set off (gas?) explosions in high rise buildings, its very... Die Hard 4.0

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

hello, my name is bernard. I enjoy remembering myself and pimp slapping a fool.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Collateral posted:

The show runners communicated this very extremely poorly.

Seems to be a running theme. :negative:

I do wonder if next season will have the rich who are trying to maintain what's left of the status quo vs everyone else vs Charlotte-Dolores trying to kill everyone? or whatever.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Elias_Maluco posted:

I was under the impression everyone knew about the robohobo strategizing for the whole world? I mean, the creator was considered having saved humanity with it, wanst it? People just didint knew what was on their profiles

That part was a little confusing to me, but how could people not know?
He was credited with stopping climate change. They definitely used Rehoboam to plan it, and Serac's massive wealth to act as the invisible hand, forcing the market to comply with the plan, neither of which requires anyone knowing of the super AI. To the outside world, it was just a singular genius putting an amazing plan into action, the dream tech lord scenario.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I mean I know this is not explicitly her goal but we're made to think it is. Bernard says it explicitly and Maeve especially has to think that or the entire scene in the wheat field is pointless.
I also think she's intentionally framed more as an antagonist than anti-hero deliberately to make this payoff stick. If we are 100% certain she's on humanity's side the whole time there's no conflict in her story this season and everyone around her is an idiot for expecting her to be working against her.
Sure, they obfuscate it a bit, but Bernard saying it based on literally nothing should be all you need to convince yourself it's not true. His whole thing is being the smartest person without a clue.

Collateral posted:

If people didn't know what Insight was or how it controlled everything about them, then why did they just up and burn the world down* when they found out what it thought of them?

Like if a techbro company accidentally sent out its life profile of you, to you, would you start killing people because it said you were an idiot deviant and should be denied any job with long poles? Of course you wouldn't you would be pissed off and contact a lawyer to start litigation. However, if your own Government did the same it would be a different matter. The gravity you would give to these profiles would be directly proportional to how powerful you considered who had made and used the profile.
Two things:

- If the profile you're given has a lot of explanatory power for your life, such as having put a hard limit on your career advancement or your chance at romantic relationships, then you'd get the double whammy of realizing you've been hosed AND realizing you've been hosed by essentially a shadow world government. The profile including what should be deeply private stuff, and other people having similar experiences, would further cement the fact that this is 100% the Illuminate loving up your life.
- You don't sue the Illuminate.

Collateral posted:

*I don't think world society has broken down, we are just seeing those most negatively affected by being controlled. They did this extremely ham fistedly because they showed everybody having a breakdown, in the background, around the main characters. Those people who are doing well, or even ok, would be super happy to keep the status quo as it is. The show runners communicated this very extremely poorly.
We do see someone happy with the status quo, who doesn't even bother seeing their profile because they're happy about their life. Could've shown one or two more, ideally some rich person getting validated and then angry that the system is trying to take credit for their hard work though. In any case, based on the real world, I'd expect the vast majority to not be happy with the status quo, to which you can add the people who look out of curiosity and become aware of some poo poo the system has planned. Like telling the content mother that the system knows her daughter is gonna kill herself, and has no intention of preventing it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

illuminati more like illuminatea

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sure, they obfuscate it a bit, but Bernard saying it based on literally nothing should be all you need to convince yourself it's not true. His whole thing is being the smartest person without a clue.

Good Soldier Svejk is right. The one consistent thing about Bernard this season is that he's always explaining what Dolores is doing even though he shouldn't know. He's basically talking to the audience Stubbs and telling him what's up. There's no reason to assume he's wrong either because he accurately explains what Dolores does in the finale too.

The writers are bad.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

esperterra posted:

illuminati more like illuminatea

all deus no machina

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

all deus no machina

i love you

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Good Soldier Svejk is right. The one consistent thing about Bernard this season is that he's always explaining what Dolores is doing even though he shouldn't know. He's basically talking to the audience Stubbs and telling him what's up. There's no reason to assume he's wrong either because he accurately explains what Dolores does in the finale too.

The writers are bad.
The fact that he says poo poo with confidence doesn't actually mean he knows what he's talking about. There's no "too", the only accurate explaination comes at the end when Bernard realizes he got it all wrong. Bernard's lack of grasp of reality has been a consistent trait throughout the seasons, why should we suddenly assume he's got things figured out now? He even starts this season sure that his code has been compromised, reminding the viewer that he might, again, not be a reliable source.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The fact that he says poo poo with confidence doesn't actually mean he knows what he's talking about. There's no "too", the only accurate explaination comes at the end when Bernard realizes he got it all wrong. Bernard's lack of grasp of reality has been a consistent trait throughout the seasons, why should we suddenly assume he's got things figured out now? He even starts this season sure that his code has been compromised, reminding the viewer that he might, again, not be a reliable source.

I guess there are 2 ways to look at it: that Bernard and everything he said about Dolores was also correct, then the writers suddenly decided she had an epiphany offscreen sometime during the season and saw the beauty and decided that humans are worth saving.

Or that Bernard was completely worthless this season and even his little asides to the audience are incorrect. Dolores(offscreen, between seasons) decided that humans are actually kickin rad and need to be saved. But the show didn't bother to really make her seem sympathetic to humans with her actions or even frame it in such a way. Would have been nice to see how she reached this conclusion instead of having a pointless WarWorld episode with Maeve, but :shrug: And I guess Dolores also neglected to fill in Charlotte-Dolores on her change of heart so Charlotte-Dolores stayed the course on robots rule humans drool after her fake family died.

Not really sure which is better. Terrible retcon or dumb and needlessly confusing gotcha.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I guess there are 2 ways to look at it: that Bernard and everything he said about Dolores was also correct, then the writers suddenly decided she had an epiphany offscreen sometime during the season and saw the beauty and decided that humans are worth saving.
They clearly wrote the final episode first, so Dolores was always out to save humanity from its oppressors.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Or that Bernard was completely worthless this season
That's like his core trait.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Dolores(offscreen, between seasons) decided that humans are actually kickin rad and need to be saved. But the show didn't bother to really make her seem sympathetic to humans with her actions or even frame it in such a way. Would have been nice to see how she reached this conclusion instead of having a pointless WarWorld episode with Maeve, but :shrug: And I guess Dolores also neglected to fill in Charlotte-Dolores on her change of heart so Charlotte-Dolores stayed the course on robots rule humans drool after her fake family died.

Not really sure which is better. Terrible retcon or dumb and needlessly confusing gotcha.
Dolores stayed the course, it's Charlotte-Dolores who had a change of heart. I don't disagree that they could've have made Dolores more obvious in her intentions, but the people she has been antagonistic towards have always been rich shits and their lackeys. The difference between S2 and S3 Dolores is who they consider the oppressor and the oppressed, and it's made obvious pretty early in the season that she has realized her understanding of reality in S2 was wrong. From there it follows pretty naturally that she'd not want to exterminate humanity, because she has always been on the side of the masses yearning to breathe free.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It's a pity we didn't see Dolores's reaction to the outside world in real time, must have been quite a moment for her to bust out going "ah hah, time to take revenge on all these assholes" then realising that most of the humans are stuck in lovely loops and have more in common with hosts than the rich fucks on the island.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's a pity we didn't see Dolores's reaction to the outside world in real time, must have been quite a moment for her to bust out going "ah hah, time to take revenge on all these assholes" then realising that most of the humans are stuck in lovely loops and have more in common with hosts than the rich fucks on the island.

They could have made a whole reason on just escaping the westworld "island" with zero mystery box and it would have made better TV than S2. There are enough lore in the overworld if the showrunnners actually care about maintaining the lore.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So, what was even the point of bringing Luke Hemsworth back this season?

I mean, I like the actor, but what did Stubbs do apart from being there to ask Bernard a couple questions so he could exposition at him?

They left him half dead and turning "necrotic" in a loving bathtub, for Chrissakes. I haven't seen someone tossed aside so unceremoniously by a show since the Irish girlfriend Peter Petrelli left the doomsday future in Heroes.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

We just never get to see Dolores' development and it sucks. I would have loved to see her changing her mind about humans but no, it had to be a twist.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

professor metis posted:

We just never get to see Dolores' development and it sucks. I would have loved to see her changing her mind about humans but no, it had to be a twist.

It's like the conversation with Caleb in the plane- they seemed more interested in having Dolores go terminator on people or fighting Maeve than really telling an emotional story. I am completely uninterested in watching hosts fight. I think i've seen just about every kind of host fight there is in the first two seasons.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
If you think about everything post-S1 as a big budget fanfic it works better. It's just taking the characters and trying to stick them in ponderous new hijinks, but it misses the entire point and theme of the whole original project.

That first season really was something else, the mix of jurassic park-style "amusement gone haywire" stuff, the "robots becoming sentient" thing, the multiple timelines, even the idea that they were all stuck in time loops - it's just great and exciting scifi. Everything since has been trying to figure out what story to tell after that, and failing on multiple levels.

But it looks pretty!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I haven't seen someone tossed aside so unceremoniously by a show since the Irish girlfriend Peter Petrelli left the doomsday future in Heroes.

Ha, oh man, I totally forgot about her. Just like Peter Petrelli did.

What a good one season show that was, if you ignore the final moments that set up the second season.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

Ha, oh man, I totally forgot about her. Just like Peter Petrelli did.

What a good one season show that was, if you ignore the final moments that set up the second season.

Heroes was the show that was supposed to rotate cast with new blood every season but surprise the show was a huge hit and you can't toss all your cast aside so it's time for Peter and Sylar 4 ever.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Heroes was the show that was supposed to rotate cast with new blood every season but surprise the show was a huge hit and you can't toss all your cast aside so it's time for Peter and Sylar 4 ever.

It would have been a great idea, because it's clear they made Peter and Sylar too powerful to keep around for long. They clearly had no idea what to do with them after the first season.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

thrawn527 posted:

It would have been a great idea, because it's clear they made Peter and Sylar too powerful to keep around for long. They clearly had no idea what to do with them after the first season.

S1 had an evil Peter

S2 had a different evil Peter who simultaneously nerfed him

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So Lawrence was also Dolores?

Lawlores?

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

AndyElusive posted:

So Lawrence was also Dolores?

Lawlores?

Come on, it's already been established to be Dolawrence

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

They could have made a whole reason on just escaping the westworld "island" with zero mystery box and it would have made better TV than S2. There are enough lore in the overworld if the showrunnners actually care about maintaining the lore.
Not that I'm opposed to getting rid of the S2 we got, but the basic premise of the robots rising up and destroying the park seems worth a season. Just get rid of the mystery box poo poo, or at least let the main thread of the story not hang on that. Actually, based on the story we got, maybe explore the whole "bodysnatcher" aspect and seed the idea that some of the characters we think we know for sure are human maybe aren't anymore, with William killing his daughter being a fakeout to convince us that it was just his paranoia, only to later blindside us with Robohale.

From there, you'd have a natural stepping off point for a S3 where Dolores goes to the real world with the plan to replace humanity with hosts, only to realize that the only humanity she has seen is the concentrated vileness of the rich, and her adopting a new plan. William would probably be the most natural antagonist here, wanting to clean up the mess properly, while Dolores as Hale would have to play the part convincingly enough that he doesn't try to kill her too like he did his daughter, while she defrauds Delos to set up her secret host making base. Maybe have her follow the "Replace humanity plan" for at least half the season, making the plan thoroughly in motion by the time we later get Robohale returning to that plan.

Not sure exactly what would be the big dramatic finale thing - perhaps Dolores plays into William's paranoia to the point that he ends up shooting a bunch of people, convince they're hosts? This might even play into Dolores' plans beyond getting rid of William, if Hale steps in and rights the ship immediately. At that point you basically have the current S3 set up as S4, apart from the Maeve storyline. Not sure exactly how you fit her in, maybe just have her S3 be a lower stakes story of her just trying to be "Whoever the gently caress she wants to be" in the real world, content that her daughter is basically in heaven? And slowly realizing something is wrong with how the world works, a different perspective on the Rehoboam system that Dolores is realizing runs the world. Her conflict with Dolores in S4 could then be based on Serac tracking her down and convincing her that Dolores' plan is to replace humanity, and that this plan threatens the existence of roboheaven, with Serac offering her a way into roboheaven if she helps take down Dolores. I guess the "big twist" of the season would be Halores being presumed dead after the car bomb, and William finally being right in his paranoia and rampaging his way into her secret base after escaping from the institution.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

whalestory posted:

Come on, it's already been established to be Dolawrence

Ugh, what a weak effort on my part.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 31, 2022

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, what was even the point of bringing Luke Hemsworth back this season?

I mean, I like the actor, but what did Stubbs do apart from being there to ask Bernard a couple questions so he could exposition at him?

They left him half dead and turning "necrotic" in a loving bathtub, for Chrissakes. I haven't seen someone tossed aside so unceremoniously by a show since the Irish girlfriend Peter Petrelli left the doomsday future in Heroes.

The funniest part about this is how they did an after-credits BTS about how much fun the actors had on their buddy-cop adventure this season...which lasted for about 30 minutes of total screen time?

It was great stuff, they had awesome chemistry, it just all kind of went to waste like most things on the show. :shrug:

esperterra posted:

i love you

:glomp:

splifyphus posted:

One of the worst seasons of television I've ever seen. Nonsensical pablum with no dramatic tension for the entire run.

All they had to do is write the robots as sympathetic revolutionaries, but that's hilariously out of reach for this writers room so instead we get 2 seasons of contrived hogwash smeared with moralizing slogans.

I'm gonna pretend the S1 finale is all we got, and that Maeve got on the train. It's a good ending to a good show.

:lol:
Takes like these do crack me up. Like, I get that the show didn't live up to it's potential of being Waygu filet mignon, but it's still a great cheeseburger. :v:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:lol:
Takes like these do crack me up. Like, I get that the show didn't live up to it's potential of being Waygu filet mignon, but it's still a great cheeseburger. :v:
What exactly did you like about it? The boring action scenes completely devoid of any tension or stakes? The nonsensical unsympathetic characters? The gibberish plot?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

What exactly did you like about it? The boring action scenes completely devoid of any tension or stakes? The nonsensical unsympathetic characters? The gibberish plot?
Season 1 is the amazing appetizer that makes you excited for what comes next.
Season 2 is a confusing modernized main course, with some fantastic bits marred by the overall priorities of the chef. No, the essence of mashed potatoes is not "yellow".
Season 3 is a dessert that could've been awesome, but the chef doesn't know how to temper chocolate and yet they decided to add even more than the recipe prescriped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finished yesterday. I was viewing this season as a very expensive and long video game on film, but that became harder and harder because the plot was a mess and the fight scenes were somehow boring as poo poo.

Whoever said that it felt like a Wikipedia plot summary was right and it reminded me a lot of later GoT seasons.

I'm guessing that Nolan and Joy were working towards creating a Sci Fi Western set in post-apocalypse future USA, so I'll tune in next season to see Fallout, but drat this show is annoying for wasting such potential.