Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Ash Crimson posted:

Does anyone else feel like that lockdown is slowly ebbing away?

Yesterday I went into asda, because a click and collect order got hosed up and food was needed.

The security on the door were paying no loving attention to how many were actually coming out of the shop, they would just say "5 more" every few minutes and then chat with each other while 15 trolleys walk past them.

Inside was a trolley cleaning station that maybe one in five used (all supplies chained to the desk, yay shoebury). There were clear direction arrows on the ground and walls for the aisles but no-one paid any attention and there was no enforcement- this and that the place was so packed that 2 metres was gonna be very hard to deal with. Multiple people just sauntered straight up next to me while I was taking stuff off the shelves and about 1 in 30 in the store had masks on at best.

I get my bits while doing an internal commentary consisting of a famous scene from the wire and que for the self service and some older guy has issues. Staff go over and request that he stands back a bit and he glared at them and let off the most gammonly of "ughhh" I ever heard before realising she wasn't going to sort the till for him unless he did and grumpily stepping back.

I exit and pass the newspaper stand and every loving headline I glanced at was tumescent at the prospect of relaxing a lockdown.

Today is a bank holiday and it's gonna hit 22C. I'm probably going to see parking on my road fill up with people going to the seafront. again.

Doomed, etc.

36 people I saw yesterday probably gonna die of 'rona

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

bionic vapour boy posted:

https://twitter.com/MediocreDave/status/1258651798707097600

I have to say them leaking one thing to the press, seeing how mad everyone was then leaking the opposite thing to the press, all days before the actual official announcement, has broken me today, I'm hooting like an owl

The funny thing is that the story has got away from them this time, oops

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I don't especially think the lockdown is easing off. But bills still must be paid, sometimes by hand, and supplies must still be bought.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Saw an interesting tweet from Owen Jones yesterday pointing out that the reason the newspapers are teasing so many end of lockdown stories and trying to manufacture public pressure for it to end is that they're on the verge of death now that sales and advertising revenue have collapsed.

inshallah

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Bloodly posted:

I don't especially think the lockdown is easing off. But bills still must be paid, sometimes by hand, and supplies must still be bought.

There's a definite change round here. Just a few weeks ago it was like a ghost town and I'd barely see 5 people if I went out. Now I'm seeing about ten times that, a few might move if walking on a narrow pavement but most just don't seem to give a gently caress any more (especially middle aged blokes) - a street nearby is having a party I got invited to via a hand-written leaflet pushed through my door.

If all this was a zombie film we'd be about 3rd or 4th in the franchise where people no longer take zombies seriously and use them as fairground attractions or try and train them to speak just before it all goes tits up.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Necrothatcher posted:

Saw an interesting tweet from Owen Jones yesterday pointing out that the reason the newspapers are teasing so many end of lockdown stories and trying to manufacture public pressure for it to end is that they're on the verge of death now that sales and advertising revenue have collapsed.

inshallah

*Random voxpops BBC journalist, sweating profusely*: "Excuse me sir, what's your opinion on the closure of the Sun, Times, Express and Daily Mail?"
Necrothatcher: "I'm glad they're dead."

It's just a shame they'll be kept on digital life support, and continually propped up by the BBC - it just won't be the physical papers, just the online ones. :/

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

inshallah

I think that’s true but I also imagine that there a huge amount of groupthink among journos, especially since the last crash that there’s been a huge amount of job cuts and the ones who remain are either fully bought into laissais faire capitalism or are so rich they’re basically jobbing as a hobby

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jel Shaker posted:

I think that’s true but I also imagine that there a huge amount of groupthink among journos, especially since the last crash that there’s been a huge amount of job cuts and the ones who remain are either fully bought into laissais faire capitalism or are so rich they’re basically jobbing as a hobby

Looking forward to the next Drugstore Culture-esque ventures by ex-op ed writers.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Pesmerga posted:

Not necessarily, there's an increasing amount of research that seems to suggest that even when you control for comorbidities and variables like deprivation, this disease hits certain groups harder than others, with a few scientific papers now suggesting that there's a genetic component that impacts how badly you react to the virus. There's also some suggestion that the Kawasaki-like effects in children identified disproportionately appear in children of Afro-Caribbean descent.
Another factor, courtesy of YouTube nurse Dr Campbell: some research from Indonesia, https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3585561, which suggests Vitamin D deficiency leads to 10x greater chance of death from COVID-19

quote:

a significant association has been obtained between Vitamin D status and mortality. In particular, the odds of death was higher in cases with insufficient Vitamin D status (OR=7.63; p<0.001). When compared to cases with normal Vitamin D status, death was approximately 10.12 times more likely for Vitamin D deficient cases
(although there may be a bit of bias in Dr Campbell's selection given that he's been banging on about Vitamin D for some time, ymmv)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Looking forward to the next Drugstore Culture-esque ventures by ex-op ed writers.

Surely even without newspapers to print awkward cutouts of their upper bodies, their journalistic brilliance and insightful opinions will help them stand out from the crowd on social media!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

baka kaba posted:

lazy scroungers (workers with no work)
millennials ignoring the rules and not caring about ARE NHS
scientists
China

just pick the most convenient for a given moment!

they've already been at it with following the science > the science "changed", according to scientists > scientists want a lockdown > mr lockdown science man IGNORES own lockdown for STEAMY ROMP with BLONDE BOMBSHELL, just setting them up as the people who are making all this happen and whose guidance was clearly lacking when it all comes out that things were handled really badly

Some of the press are ahead of them on the spin this time, though. Crace at the Graun was just pointing out that South Korea has had a quarter as many cases as we've had deaths. If we're following the science, what are they following? The answer is: the science. Because science doesn't decide what the result will be any more than your TomTom decides where you're going to drive. Like your TomTom, it only tells you how to get to where you want to go. South Korea are following the science towards a minimised death toll; our government are not, because they have a different destination in mind.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jedit posted:

Some of the press are ahead of them on the spin this time, though. Crace at the Graun was just pointing out that South Korea has had a quarter as many cases as we've had deaths. If we're following the science, what are they following? The answer is: the science. Because science doesn't decide what the result will be any more than your TomTom decides where you're going to drive. Like your TomTom, it only tells you how to get to where you want to go. South Korea are following the science towards a minimised death toll; our government are not, because they have a different destination in mind.

100% this is why they're trying to keep all the SAGE stuff under wraps, I think it might have been Chris whitty or the other one who said they will have always presented a range of options for politicians to choose from

the politicians without fail will have picked the one with the lowest forecast damage to the economy regardless of how many deaths were predicted, and it becomes more difficult to hide behind "following the science" if people are made aware that actually science isn't a big computer that spits out a single course of action

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

I wouldn't hear a car for hours at the start, but now the penis compensators are out lapping around with their hosed engines (or whatever makes that WOOOOOOOO animal sound) again.

Whales, op :krakken:

The spide lads in their ridiculous cars didn't ever stop here. Idk if all the other traffic off the road made them more noticeable or if they were making the most of having the roads mostly to themselves. They apparently didn't stop their late night meetings in car parks where they line the cars all up and open the windows there. I would love to know what they spend all that time talking about :allears:

crispix fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 8, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

. I would love to know what they spend all that time talking about :allears:

I assume there's just talking about their cars, and watching Fast and Furious movies on TVs installed in their steering wheels

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Apparently the Christians are clustering underground.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pesky Splinter posted:

Bobstar posted:

Surely even without newspapers to print awkward cutouts of their upper bodies, their journalistic brilliance and insightful opinions will help them stand out from the crowd on social media!
Even by the extremely low standards of UK print journalism, opinion writers are not journalists. We shouldn't forget that and they should never be allowed to forget it on Twitter either.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Has anyone seen like homemade mannequins in people's gardens? I don't mind flags and stuff but seemed weird.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Angepain posted:

wings over scotland's second (and third) accounts have been suspended from twitter, so some good news today. i hope he still starts up his political party to contest the 2021 holyrood elections, and runs it from his residence in not-scotland. might get more votes than RISE at least i guess

shame graham linehan is still able to accuse university lecturers in queer studies of grooming kids for some reason. brilliant website

Oh it’s a good one. He accidentally logged out of his main and forgot the password, while waiting for all the password reset gubbins to sort itself out he created a new account and started tweeting some utterly abhorrent poo poo at Cassandra, and then *this* happened....

https://twitter.com/SazCaz81/status/1258526288555372544

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

I assume there's just talking about their cars, and watching Fast and Furious movies on TVs installed in their steering wheels

I would love to know how they get got their cars through the MOT every year. Presumably they had to spend about a fortnight stripping all the illegal modifications out and then at least the same putting it back on again

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Underground christian with underground websites, proselytising to the hollow earth.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

People of my colour being hit harder by COVID19 is just the Whites at it again imo. Bring on Wakanda.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Underground christian with underground websites, proselytising to the hollow earth.
The real Christians have been hiding there from the Pope's balls* since the 1650s.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GazChap posted:

I left my house last night to go and get some fish’n’chips, just as the 8pm clap started. Everybody was doing it, which made me feel a little bad that we haven’t been. It also felt massively uncomfortable, like everyone was sarcastically clapping my decision to not cook for myself.

Bit late but I'm giving you a round now as well.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Using Tor to buy Bibles off Empire Market and proselytize to my Morlock congregation

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Lockdown is hosed at this point, I've just been invited to a 1940's tea party this afternoon being run exclusively by people in the highest clinical risk group. The same people who every week without fail clap (and trumpet and klaxon) for the NHS for 10 minutes longer than necessary and tut when they don't see you doing the same.

You know what the NHS would really like? For you not to gather in large groups, putting yourself at risk because you're bored of the lockdown, you ignorant bunch of self-righteous pricks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As long as people are working from home and keeping more apart at work and in stores that will help, demented suicidal old boomers were never the barometer for effectivness and if they want to kill themselves I don't care so long as they can keep the harm they do to everyone else to a minimum.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

We're on a nerdy dead gay forum and absolutely nobody said "New Star Wars looking good!!"? Shame on you all.

I wonder if anybody got muddled up about the 2 minutes silence, went out banging a bin with a cricket bat and then was promptly beaten to death by gammons.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Lockdown is hosed at this point, I've just been invited to a 1940's tea party this afternoon being run exclusively by people in the highest clinical risk group. The same people who every week without fail clap (and trumpet and klaxon) for the NHS for 10 minutes longer than necessary and tut when they don't see you doing the same.

You know what the NHS would really like? For you not to gather in large groups, putting yourself at risk because you're bored of the lockdown, you ignorant bunch of self-righteous pricks.

The only time it's acceptable to rat someone out to the polis

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Lockdown is hosed at this point, I've just been invited to a 1940's tea party this afternoon being run exclusively by people in the highest clinical risk group.

No one I know is voluntarily unlocking.

Admittedly most of them have had to work as usual the whole time, so it would make relatively little difference.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
What upsets me the most is they're generally really nice people who I previously considered pretty sensible. If people like that are giving up and doing what they want, frankly everyone probably is at this point.

Worst of it is the wife hates upsetting people, especially neighbours we're really friendly with, and I'll look like a right miserable bastard for not going. I mean I am a right miserable bastard, but not for the specific reason they'll now think.

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 8, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

As long as people are working from home and keeping more apart at work and in stores that will help, demented suicidal old boomers were never the barometer for effectivness and if they want to kill themselves I don't care so long as they can keep the harm they do to everyone else to a minimum.

Yeah, gently caress the NHS.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/realflanmurray/status/1258707243173847040

franco
Jan 3, 2003
My parents are both elderly and my Dad is especially at risk because of various health issues. I'd had a hell of a time explaining the seriousness and getting them to stay home when this really got into gear. They were being pretty well-behaved.

Now my Mum (who has, as much as I love her, always been a bit "bootstraps!" about things and thinks she's invincible) is tipping over into the "this is getting silly now! We should just go back to being normal! If you get it, you get it!" camp.

I despair.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
maybe i shouldn't have put off my weekly shop to a bank holiday with high temperatures just after the government has released confusing mixed messages about relaxing the lockdown. this should be fun

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

learnincurve posted:

Oh it’s a good one. He accidentally logged out of his main and forgot the password, while waiting for all the password reset gubbins to sort itself out he created a new account and started tweeting some utterly abhorrent poo poo at Cassandra, and then *this* happened....

https://twitter.com/SazCaz81/status/1258526288555372544

If they did actually ban his main account they realised their "error" (accidentally holding a bluetick to account for what they say or do) and corrected it pretty sharpish.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/TobyonTV/status/1258702338170204160?s=19

:britain:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't own any bunting or flags, and I haven't been out clapping once. Am I a traitor :ohdear:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

franco posted:

My parents are both elderly and my Dad is especially at risk because of various health issues. I'd had a hell of a time explaining the seriousness and getting them to stay home when this really got into gear. They were being pretty well-behaved.

Now my Mum (who has, as much as I love her, always been a bit "bootstraps!" about things and thinks she's invincible) is tipping over into the "this is getting silly now! We should just go back to being normal! If you get it, you get it!" camp.

I despair.

You could always just go 'sorry, I'd love to go, but I've got some health issues that make it a really bad idea'. It gets you out of there, and might make them sit up and think about what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

K-starm getting more praise from the best possible sources I see

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1258677559291793408