Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Charlz Guybon posted:

Italians and French did. NY and some other states have.

Generally, it seems it is when they get "discovered" often weeks later and then they dump the stats on a single day. There is shady poo poo all over the place and I am sure there is the same in Russia. That said, the rest of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union also has low to very low death rates and I don't think they are all working together.

The entire irony of this is that generally poorer countries or at least countries with TB issues at some point generally did much better, the tables got turned this time.

Of course, also, the US is an extra-special case of complete insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Generally, it seems it is when they get "discovered" often weeks later and then they dump the stats on a single day. There is shady poo poo all over the place and I am sure there is the same in Russia. That said, the rest of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union also has low to very low death rates and I don't think they are all working together.

The entire irony of this is that generally poorer countries or at least countries with TB issues at some point generally did much better, the tables got turned this time.

Poland definitely hides covid deaths but there is zero excess mortality due to fewer accidents. We had the vaccine of course.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ardennes posted:

As long as they get counted, does it matter as long as it isn't a footnote in a census years latter? I think getting the number out there a few weeks or a month later in a fast moving pandemic is understandable. People still see the number of dead jump up. Hell it's more alarming to see a big jump than it would have been seeing it spread out over weeks.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
covid forgot poland :shrug:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ardennes posted:

TWODAY

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

It seems most countries are jucing them in a similar manner. No one is counting deaths at home or nursing homes. The difference is that the Russians are actually testing to a greater degree than we are.

The excess mortality numbers for Europe are not juiced and you can clearly see events like the collapse of the North Italian healthcare system in them.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

New reddit astroturf line is that staying at home weakens your immune system while going to work, restaurants, shopping, and a golf course strengthens it:

lol my foreman was saying this yesterday and I was like "???????"

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://www.change.org/p/all-fortune-500-stop-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign?use_react=false

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
covid and let die

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

GABA ghoul posted:

The excess mortality numbers for Europe are not juiced and you can clearly see events like the collapse of the North Italian healthcare system in them.

You could see those deaths after someone worked to find them in the first place.

Charlz Guybon posted:

As long as they get counted, does it matter as long as it isn't a footnote in a census years latter? I think getting the number out there a few weeks or a month later in a fast moving pandemic is understandable. People still see the number of dead jump up. Hell it's more alarming to see a big jump than it would have been seeing it spread out over weeks.

The problem is when they get dumped like that they are usually dismissed as a "fluke" in the news rather than that the initial data set was wrong. It is better than hiding them entirely, but it is an issue.

Again, in both cases, of the government massaging data and then having to go back and spin it after they get caught. Again, I am sure you will find something similar in Russian data, but I doubt they are that different than their neighbors. (It isn't just Poland either, but Finland has a such lower death rate as well and guess what they were doing.)

The US actually uniquely self-owned itself.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Skypie posted:

lol my foreman was saying this yesterday and I was like "???????"

Sleep on the job and tell your boss you're building your immune system while at work, instead of going home and getting weak bing bong so simple

twoday
May 4, 2005

what

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1258716987217391618

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

absolute legend

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

You could see those deaths after someone worked to find them in the first place.

:confused:

The death rate in northern Italy more than doubled during the collapse. You can see a doubling on a graph with the naked eye and without Nate Silver holding your hand.

twoday
May 4, 2005

I found a solid paper that compares the effects of different strains of BCG and how they affect various immune responses, though I don’t really understand the implications yet https://academic.oup.com/femspd/article/56/2/116/517198

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1258713289305067520?s=19

Good place to hide

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Thanks for showing me that my change.org account got hacked by brazillians back when I made one for some reason in 2014 as it auto logged me in and had the language set to Portuguese.

I have deleted the account. All is well.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Well now we're just daring god to kill everyone else

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

They better watch out for any random dogs

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

GABA ghoul posted:

:confused:

The death rate in northern Italy more than doubled during the collapse. You can see a doubling on a graph with the naked eye and without Nate Silver holding your hand.

And? What do you think would happen with Russian data?

twoday posted:

I found a solid paper that compares the effects of different strains of BCG and how they affect various immune responses, though I don’t really understand the implications yet https://academic.oup.com/femspd/article/56/2/116/517198

It does seem that the Moscow strain is more effective than most others against fighting TB and it may force better immune response to cytokines. I also saw another pre-covid paper that was discussing utilizing BCG against other potential infections.

I honestly thought about just guinea pig-ing myself and getting the vaccine if I can find it. The risks of not having it seem to seriously outweigh the potential risks of getting it. It would be interesting to see if from that point forward I would be more resistant to something like a seasonal flu.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:38 on May 8, 2020

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1258614371716075521

She bought food and gas :(

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Really shocked there are over 5,000 people in Antarctica, I thought there were just a few dozen. Definitely would have said less than one hundred.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

lol america deserves to loving collapse. what a poo poo country.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm thinking about going to Home Depot this weekend for a definitely-not-essential run for PVC pipe and associated material to build some agility poo poo for my dog. Should I endanger my life and the lives of those around me for my very good girl

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Charlz Guybon posted:

Really shocked there are over 5,000 people in Antarctica, I thought there were just a few dozen. Definitely would have said less than one hundred.

There’s a few different research stations and bases run by different countries there.
I remember a thread by a goon who worked in a US base there, anyone else remember that and have a link? Might have been in Ask and Tell.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Charlz Guybon posted:

Do we know how many penguins there are? I was in the room when a documentary about a guy who had been there so long watching penguins he lost all social skills so basically like your normal cspammer

twoday
May 4, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Las_Estrellas

Chile has a permanent civilian settlement there, with a primary school and everything, which they maintain so that they can make a better claim of colonizing it in the future. There have even been about a dozen children born on Antarctica.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

she also had a job :shrug:

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Boxman posted:

I'm thinking about going to Home Depot this weekend for a definitely-not-essential run for PVC pipe and associated material to build some agility poo poo for my dog. Should I endanger my life and the lives of those around me for my very good girl

home depot does curbside pick up here and I'm planning on doing it today or tomorrow, see if that's an option for you

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/julietlapidos/status/1258422771173994498?s=20

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Why doesn’t Dallas County tell the Texas Supreme Court to go gently caress itself?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1258441465782394881

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MarcusSA posted:

Then it doesn't make any sense, how could a person with a job be unable to afford gas and groceries? :confused:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Charlz Guybon posted:

The US base there is massive and is basically a self-contained town, and other nations also have pretty large bases. There is going to be an active discussion about colonization in a few decades. You can zoom into the Palmer/Antartica Penisula and already see the damage being done.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Then it doesn't make any sense, how could a person with a job be unable to afford gas and groceries? :confused:

clearly the best way to combat it is to steal a dying patients credit card.

It’s not in any way shape or form sad she got caught doing that. Gas and groceries are the two easiest places to use a stolen card anyway.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

MarcusSA posted:

people do desperate things for many reasons and while stealing from a dying person is reprehensible it might have been the only option she saw at the moment and the RvR she saw was the lowest with that. If she had purchased clothing or electronics it would be different to me but buying food and gas to continue helping people is different to me somehow. Maybe she was too proud to ask for help and that is on her and now she'll have to live the rest of her life with her choice

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
today in italy both milano and navigli (popular area in milano with bars & restaurants etc) are trending on twitter because surprise surprise everyone thinks that the lockdown being lifted means we cn return to normal immediatly

https://twitter.com/infosubmarine/status/1258702537919729670

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

I gotta admit I wouldn't be even a little sad if turmp got melty lung syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

A friend of mine’s company is going back to work on a rotational basis. She will to Tues. and Thurs. this week and MWF next week and only half of the staff will be there at a time and even so this seems stupid?