Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I don't play GTAO so I have always wondered why do you need to spend money on a game that is (i think) about stealing poo poo from other people. Want a Veyron? steal that poo poo you criminal, what kind of half-assed crook are you with that wanting to buy the drat thing, like a goddamn normie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Quavers posted:

:trustme: [i]May 6th, 2020

Attention Recruits,

What you are about to read is the latest information on the continuing development of Squadron 42 (SCI des: SQ42).

Our top agents went into deep cover and managed to extract information on work on the Javelin's weapons and engineering sections, as well as key info on the next step of cinematics.
The information contained in this communication is extremely sensitive and it is of paramount importance that it does not fall into the wrong hands. Purge all records after reading.

Huh, I thought purging all records of what CIG planned to do and claimed they had done was the job of their community managers, with help from the hardcore cultists. I guess they need more help doing that, people still seem to remember some of the dumbass things they promised.

Also, good lord, the amount of "began work on" and "will include" and "investigating ways to" and "looking into how to approach" and other coded phrases for "we haven't done this yet and have nothing to show for it" in that. Eight years in, and they're still flailing this badly?

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 8, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Agony Aunt posted:

like the orbital cannon... not that many people use it unless they are cheaters, because the drat thing costs a crapton of money to fire. Its effectively a godmode weapon where you sink in your facility and fire upon someone anywhere on the map killing them.

This is absurd.

SC will surely have one.

(The operators will have backward pointy helmets. There will be green lasers.)

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
'It’s not a game...'

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

MT METROLOOP... What does "MT" stand for here? Mountain?

Just another day trying to hike up Mt. Metroloop...

Hav posted:

The revolution will be de-skeletonized

:five:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

perfection.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Asmodai_00 posted:

:smugbert: I've never seen someone complain about bartenders that looked at the bigger picture.

If you see a post about the bartender, you can guarantee, it involves 100% emotion and zero research.

And if your game is 100% about bartender and bartender like interactions, this is an excellent point! Lucky it is not a space game about flying space ships.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

The Titanic posted:

End of life dates are for losers who didn't invent programming back in the 90's.

You just start editing all your dependencies at their code-level and then you just do it better and then keep up with all of them because you are a literal programming goddess and can do no wrong and everybody else did it worse than you.

The only way they'll probably upgrade to a neeer version is a complete rewrite. And the good news is that I think CIG already did this once, and within like 2 months was right back into knee deep frankencode nobody could work with. So don't worry, if they do have to do a rewrite, it will only be a few months before nothing works again. You won't be lonely long with a working game because it's 99% unfucked by CIG. :)

A complete rewrite would be great. Your moral is shattered as everything you struggled with for years is gone. You don't care any more. You still need to submit x lines of code a day (the obvious metric of CIG). Why not just copy paste some of the old code and call it a day.

Thanks for reading my fanfic.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

MT METROLOOP... What does "MT" stand for here? Mountain?

Just another day trying to hike up Mt. Metroloop...

:five:

Mass Transit?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dr. Honked posted:

As a coder, you MUST know 3d maths well to work on many areas of a 3d game. There is a shitload of stuff that requires it, not just performance-critical graphics code. You can maybe get along for a while using the various helpful linear algebra functions that your engine has, but in the end, you're going to need to know this stuff. I won't hire juniors who don't know basic linear algebra.

Or matrix transforms. Luckily commercial programming is more about strings and remembering how to count.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I was applying for the starbase alpha and lol

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

Man this is why I don't play anything with any kind of public matchmaking game anymore. gently caress allllllll of that. I didn't pay 60 bucks to provide a nice target for people cheating, or lose access to the game because I'm adjacent to people cheating. And I'll stay way the hell away from any game that decides I have to wade into the brown sea to progress because having it my own way isn't "Authentic" enough or whatever. gently caress it forever.

Yeah, i hear you.

Unless a dev is really good at catching cheaters, they can really ruin any sort of public play, whether it be a PvP or PvE game or a hybrid.

Its one reason I push back whenever someone suggests FD should remove PG/solo from ED. The other main reason being there are lots of people out there who flock to online games with the sole intent of screwing the game up for others in one way or another.

GTA allows me the same, to play solo or just with friends (even though the devs didn't intent that, but hey, screw them).

And here we have Star Citizen, a game with a single mode only, with (in theory) thousands of players on the same server. Yeah, that's going to be a fun world to play in. From what we've seen as well, CIG haven't even started to address the issue of cheaters.... well, it is alpha!

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

Yeah, i hear you.

Unless a dev is really good at catching cheaters, they can really ruin any sort of public play, whether it be a PvP or PvE game or a hybrid.

Its one reason I push back whenever someone suggests FD should remove PG/solo from ED. The other main reason being there are lots of people out there who flock to online games with the sole intent of screwing the game up for others in one way or another.

GTA allows me the same, to play solo or just with friends (even though the devs didn't intent that, but hey, screw them).

And here we have Star Citizen, a game with a single mode only, with (in theory) thousands of players on the same server. Yeah, that's going to be a fun world to play in. From what we've seen as well, CIG haven't even started to address the issue of cheaters.... well, it is alpha!

Fortunately they will never have to solve that problem.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

Yeah, i hear you.

As much as I hate the cheating parts of online play, if and when SC is in any shape (it won't ever be) I am going to dedicate a not-insignificant amount of energy into being exactly what I hate. I've never seen a community more deserving, and one that can handle it less.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

The other main reason being there are lots of people out there who flock to online games with the sole intent of screwing the game up for others in one way or another.

goooons :argh:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Scruffpuff posted:

As much as I hate the cheating parts of online play, if and when SC is in any shape (it won't ever be) I am going to dedicate a not-insignificant amount of energy into being exactly what I hate. I've never seen a community more deserving, and one that can handle it less.

:same:

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
A story told in 4 jpegs.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scruffpuff posted:

I am going to dedicate a not-insignificant amount of energy into being exactly what I hate.

You're going to become Chris Roberts?!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Pixelate posted:

But forget all that, here is my taxxe

CIG have been struggling with marketing since Strangli left. So I remade their 3.9 trailer for them:

:siren: Star Citizen: 3.9 - Cocked Up & Coded :siren:

(lovely quality / size, but if anyone wants to stick on a proper video site go for it)

this is good poo poo

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

So, anyway, gently caress the greedy publishers who only do things for profit.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Hav posted:

Or matrix transforms. Luckily commercial programming is more about strings and remembering how to count.

Matrix transforms are part of linear algebra, much like Crobbledogs are part of the Crobbleverse :lesnick:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Sample_text posted:

A story told in 4 jpegs.

Someone in the thread complained that missiles at least worked back then and got this reply

quote:

... I find it kinda silly to get all worked up about things not working in a super early alpha,like did you expect a full game? You're paying into what is essentially a continuation of the kick starter that made the creation of this game possible.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
"Super early alpha" 90 months after the crowdfunding sure is a take.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Star posted:

Someone in the thread complained that missiles at least worked back then and got this reply

SUPER early alpha!

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Ungrateful wretch! This game wasn't made for your entertainment, it's a monument to the glory of Crobbler!

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Entitled gamers believing they should get something for their 300 million dollars.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

:reddit: On the topic of 3.9, on the main subreddit, a new poster(won't say who cause doxxing isn't cool) has mysteriously appeared, has an account that's only 11 days old, yet has consistently been posting mostly concern threads, and appears to be trying to push for the community to get mad about skins possibly costing money in the future, despite the community consensus generally been skins can be an effective monetization post ship-sales. Reminds me of when wahhhlord had his alt-account, tho if this account is trying to stir up poo poo they're a lot more coy about it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

iron buns posted:

:reddit: On the topic of 3.9, on the main subreddit, a new poster(won't say who cause doxxing isn't cool) has mysteriously appeared, has an account that's only 11 days old, yet has consistently been posting mostly concern threads, and appears to be trying to push for the community to get mad about skins possibly costing money in the future, despite the community consensus generally been skins can be an effective monetization post ship-sales. Reminds me of when wahhhlord had his alt-account, tho if this account is trying to stir up poo poo they're a lot more coy about it.

Does Derek Smart even care about SC any more? I know he popped up on some sort of talk show not long ago, but he seems to have lost his vigour for criticising the project. I mean, when was the last time he wrote a July blog?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I can understand why a new poster on that subreddit of morons would be suspicious, no one in their right mind starts playing this non-game in 2020 and tries to discuss improvements instead of getting a refund and bailing after the first 10 minutes :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Sarsapariller posted:

Man this is why I don't play anything with any kind of public matchmaking game anymore. gently caress allllllll of that. I didn't pay 60 bucks to provide a nice target for people cheating, or lose access to the game because I'm adjacent to people cheating.

It gets better! In today's game-as-a-service design, just playing the game may violate the sacred entitlement of others. Did you figure out a way to get <thing> that was easier than the way other people got <thing>? Did you join a co-op game with other people who did the same? You're banned! Your $60 single player game, that can be optionally co-op, is no longer available to you. The very notion that you got a thing is so destructive to the experience of others that you must be cleansed. The masses will cheer your removal.

At least in SC your value to the community is measured by your pledge amount.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

orcane posted:

"Super early alpha" 90 months after the crowdfunding sure is a take.

Normal development for normal AAA games is easily 40 years. After only nearly 10 you really shouldn't expect more than 1/4 of a complete game. Sooooo early. Way too early to even really tell what it is at this point.

Is it a space ship game?
Is it an FPS game?
Is it Mario Bros?

We really don't know yet and honestly all these people "assuming" what it will be is just upsetting the natural flow on such a young, barely out of concept, video game for children.

You guys just better cool your over eager heels and learn how video game making works today and sit down and shut up with your wrong opinions. :black101:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:reddit: That's the ugly side of Alpha. SC is amazingly well polished for an Alpha, but it is still an Alpha, and that does mean that from time to time nasty bugs will get into the 'live' release.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I can see why they want to ensure CIG keeps getting money for literally breathing, and that even basic gameplay solid be behind a paywall.

I honestly think it's time for CIG to up the ante here though.

Want to move forward? You need to post a fee for that literal privilege you entitled scum.

Want to jump, crouch, or move side to side? Want to run????

Running costs extra because it can be used to destabilize immersion. It should probably cost at least $100 so you know the person running will run responsibly and not be done immersion breaking space poor.

This extra fees will also help us get to higher money faster, so we can celebrate the victory of a multi national company with more shady shell companies than you can throw a stick at continue to get more shady money.

When I can eat a hotdog in glory and a sandwich, I know that $300MM went to a good cause. Every dollar CIG gets is like $5 since there is no publisher. This is unheard of and there is no way this project can fail. In fact, it has already succeeded more than any AAA game I know of and has more gameplay than seven games combined.

But if you bitch about it, it's just an early alpha. Leave my poor innocent baby alone! *hugs CR to her busom to protect him from the evils of all you people!* Leave my delicate game wanderkind genius alone so he can make the game we all want but none of us deserve! Only he can do it with the power of the 90's! It's like a movie!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Asmodai_00 posted:

:reddit: That's the ugly side of Alpha. SC is amazingly well polished for an Alpha, but it is still an Alpha, and that does mean that from time to time nasty bugs will get into the 'live' release.

If this guy took this one step further he might come to the correct conclusion that CIG are focusing the majority of their efforts on the wrong thing, and have this level of graphics when you can't nail down basic functionality is actually a bad thing and not a good thing.

But it's ok. Dream on, space friend. :)

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Clipping through the floor should be a crime in game. You're breaking the laws of physics!

Buy an Idris.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:reddit: My first Klescher experience

quote:

While doing some bounties with my prowler a police ship approached me, marked as red pirate. So anyway I started blasting. Suddenly the ship turned blue but the prowler destroyed it immediately -> crime stat 3.

I became what i sought to destroy.

I got killed by my headhunter buddy and landed in prison. Here is where the story begins.

6.00 pm - I spawn at Klescher, head to the station computer and see: 1:58Hrs sentence. I want to play star citizen again so I head to the mining area take out my mining tool and a few meters later i clip into the ground. I have to suicide.

6.20 pm - I spawn at Klescher, head to the mining area. Multitool gone. I suicide.

6.25 pm - I spawn at Klescher, head to the mining area and see i can get a new mining tool at the station. I get one but its not working. It simply gets put away everytime I take it in my hand and the laser does not trigger. I find the previous laser on my leg. This time it spawned when I suicided.

7.00 pm - I mined some stuff at the entrance, clipped once again through the ground and fell comletely inside the moon.

7.10 pm. - I spawn at Klescher. Now having both mining lasers I try it all again. The laser from the station still does not work so I throw it away and mine some stuff at the entrance.

7.20 pm - I want to deliver those minables so I head to the station where you exchange the minerals for your time. Well. Its of course bugged so I can not click on the display.

7.30 pm - I reconnected to 12 different servers, still not being able to click on the screens. I give up.

7.30 pm on the way back I found a group of 4 prisoners trying to escape. Well, seems fun I'd like to test out and see how it looks like to escape.

ONE OF THE WORST DECISIONS IN MY HISTORY OF GAMING WAS MADE HERE

After I followed them they killed me 3 times, because somehow they had guns. OK. I wrote in the chat we became friends and they showed me the way out. At the end i died because i missed a hole in the very last stairs.

9.00 pm - I spawned at Klescher. Once again. I checked my timer and it went up to 3 hrs. gently caress so there is no other way than escaping now.

1.50 am (right now) - Long story short; I escaped 20 times, i can speedrun the escape route. But every time someone picked me up with his ship the game crashed completely. ONE TIME I was able to reconnect but on the way to Grim Hex my buddy and I suddenly died without any reason in the back of a cutlass black. so...

I spawned at Klescher. Sentence timer says 5:48 Hrs. I am a prisoner for already 7 Hrs. because of a series of game breaking bugs. And I know that I will spawn there tomorrow and enter the exit elevator and get a bug that will force me to reset my account and ONCE AGAIN lose 700k aUEC, all my armor, weapons and all prospector and prowler components since 3.9 release.

quote:

Edit 2: 12.00 pm. The next day. As I already thought:

I spawned at Klescher. I am a free man. I go to the prison exit elevator and get stuck in a black screen. Game crashes. I restart it and one last thing happens before I stop playing until a new patch:

I spawn at Klescher

:cop: "dont do the crime if you cant do the time"

:smugbird: Man you could have just left, watched a movie, and came back and played.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Reading this gives me a sick feeling. Why do they put themselves through this? When a game is that lovely I just uninstall it immediately and forget about it.

Reminds me of playing DayZ Standalone. And that is a terrible thing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lmao what a farce.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Sillybones posted:

Reading this gives me a sick feeling. Why do they put themselves through this? When a game is that lovely I just uninstall it immediately and forget about it.

Reminds me of playing DayZ Standalone. And that is a terrible thing.

These idiots deserve everything that happens. I have long lost any sympathy for any of them. How broke brain do you have to be to keep believing 8 years in is still "early alpha"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The biggest milestone ever