Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That reminds me - we see so many instances of slain enemies dissolving into the lifestream in-game, how was it that Ifalna's body was still available to be preserved by Hojo after her passing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

They also mention monsters are the way they are because of Mako exposure (Barrett says it’s shinra’s fault that there are monsters basically)

And mako is like, crystallized lifestream

So basically I’m not sure but I’m sure you magic explain it away

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Takoluka posted:

Aerith is actually getting her info from Aeris.

Also, I was reading up on some Square titles, and I did not know that Xenogears was originally pitched as the script for Final Fantasy 7 but Square thought it was way too dark for an FF title. They let it be something else, after which it was then pitched as a sequel to Chrono Trigger. Just imagine if FF7 had been anything like XG or if FF7R pulls some of its time influences from either XG or CT.

Cloud even references the Xenogears theme when you find him in Mideel.

That would have been cool to be at those meetings, I think this was also when they came up with the plot bits of Parasite Eve.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BaDandy posted:

That would have been cool to be at those meetings, I think this was also when they came up with the plot bits of Parasite Eve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpgqzdMmjaw

barret leaping off the highwind and throwing a plot materia at cloud would be pretty rad

e: PE was really poorly served by the technology of the day, the goddamn game opens with the audience of an opera spontaneously bursting into flames and the subsequent panic stampede to exit the building

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 8, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

the extra rad thing is that he survived this

Parasite Eve owns

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I wonder if there's any truth to the old rumor that Aya wasn't *meant* to move as slowly as she does during the entire game, only during the opening when she's wearing heels

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

BaDandy posted:

He absolutely needs to reference Xenogears in FF7R and make it a low-key confirmation of a XG remake that is allowed to tie into Xenoblade.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Xeno...blade chronicles definitive edition only...for the Nintendo...switch...gurk”

Tifa: He’s not making any sense!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, I assume the buster sword weighs, what, 20 or so pounds?

I could probably one-hand carry that down the street. Now swinging that to actually hurt something is another story

Edit: OK someone made a life-sized replica and it's 80 lbs., Agreed immersion broken

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, I assume the buster sword weighs, what, 20 or so pounds?

I could probably one-hand carry that down the street. Now swinging that to actually hurt something is another story

There is no way that sword would weight just 20 pounds, that's the same as a 10kg plate for reference

I would say it's closer to 60-80 pounds

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Considering that people can carry massive steel beams, according to the ending, as well as jump 10 feet in the air, it's safe to say that gravity is significantly lower on FF7's planet. Humans just have a similar physiology to us, regardless. That's my handwave and I'm sticking to it.

Also, Leslie was dragging that sword on the ground, yet Tifa runs in holding it upright with one hand. She also successfully wielded the Masamune, which Cloud said only Sephiroth could use in the original.
She's strong.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 8, 2020

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Beefstew posted:

Considering that people can carry massive steel beams, according to the ending, as well as jump 10 feet in the air, it's safe to say that gravity is significantly lower on FF7's planet. Humans just have a similar physiology to us, regardless. That's my handwave and I'm sticking to it.

Also, Leslie was dragging that sword on the ground, yet Tifa runs in holding it upright with one hand. She also successfully wielded the Masamune, which Cloud said only Sephiroth could use in the original.
She's strong.

This is true, I forgot about that detail in the ending. Ordinary humans in this setting are much stronger than RL humans, and mako enhanced people like Cloud are even stronger than them.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Tifa has the kind of strength you can only get by being raised in a kung fu movie since you were 10

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Gologle posted:

This is true, I forgot about that detail in the ending. Ordinary humans in this setting are much stronger than RL humans, and mako enhanced people like Cloud are even stronger than them.

I have to concur with this. For example the turks are given no enhancement yet you have Reno springing around like a literal grasshopper and climbing up the walls.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Beefstew posted:

It does seem like fall damage doesn't exist in this universe :thunk:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

And yet it's a two-person job to lift a dresser out to clear a path :confused:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

And yet it's a two-person job to lift a dresser out to clear a path :confused:

The dresser had gravity cast on it.

Anytime you see something like that, Bugenhagen did it.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They also mention monsters are the way they are because of Mako exposure (Barrett says it’s shinra’s fault that there are monsters basically)

And mako is like, crystallized lifestream

So basically I’m not sure but I’m sure you magic explain it away

Descriptions imply that monsters just seem to be a thing in the world. Shinra needs to build war machines to fight them. I get the impression Mako exposure happens naturally, and reactors are just opening geysers where there shouldn't be.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Monsters are a thing, but Mako makes them worse.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My assumption is that the things that look kinda like animals are mostly natural with some mako poisoning. poo poo like Hell House and the triceratops tank crawled out of a mako waste dump

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

cheetah7071 posted:

My assumption is that the things that look kinda like animals are mostly natural with some mako poisoning. poo poo like Hell House and the triceratops tank crawled out of a mako waste dump

quote:

Don Corneo's secret weapon, a monster in the form of a house. No one knows how it was built.

No Mako needed...or all Mako all the time?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Animals things are mako poisoning

All mech stuff is Shinra R&D

Anything that looks like an affront to god and nature are Hojo's pet projects

Hell House was Hojo's attempt at making a summer cottage.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I choose to believe Hell House is like Omega, in that it is a mysterious engine of destruction that came out of nowhere, and may or may not be an ancient superweapon from an extinct civilization that it may or may not have destroyed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I wonder if they're gonna significantly change Rocket Town stuff (when they get to it in 2030)

Shinra with a fleet of mechs and choppers... and they need to commandeer a random plane in the middle of nowhere

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gologle posted:

I choose to believe Hell House is like Omega, in that it is a mysterious engine of destruction that came out of nowhere, and may or may not be an ancient superweapon from an extinct civilization that it may or may not have destroyed.

The Oldest Hell House

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wonder if they're gonna significantly change Rocket Town stuff (when they get to it in 2030)

Shinra with a fleet of mechs and choppers... and they need to commandeer a random plane in the middle of nowhere

You and I both know they're going to have to make some adjustments to the story here. If they can make Wall Market glorious I think they can manage Rocket town.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The Tiny Bronco is now the most advanced stealth hyperjet on the planet. And it can only be operated via sick dance moves.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Beefstew posted:

She's strong.

Being able to lift Masamune is different from being able to use it effectively as a weapon. Ditto with the Buster sword.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Why *did* Rufus need the Tiny Bronco? Eventually he just takes the Highwind to the North Crater, which seems like an easier idea

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DeathChicken posted:

Why *did* Rufus need the Tiny Bronco? Eventually he just takes the Highwind to the North Crater, which seems like an easier idea

If I had to guess, he was already in Rocket Town and it was the only plane nearby which was handy, and was theoretically Shinra property

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

He says the Highwind is still "being prepared" or something.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jetrauben posted:

Descriptions imply that monsters just seem to be a thing in the world. Shinra needs to build war machines to fight them. I get the impression Mako exposure happens naturally, and reactors are just opening geysers where there shouldn't be.

Wasn't the reason for Sephiroth going to Nibelheim was because the Mako reactor was causing the local fauna to mutate and turn vicious?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LadyPictureShow posted:

Wasn't the reason for Sephiroth going to Nibelheim was because the Mako reactor was causing the local fauna to mutate and turn vicious?
At a surface level yeah, but also Hojo cramming people and things into Mako therapy pods.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I’m guessing Wutai used giant monsters in the war, like Niflheim in FFXV. Hence all the robots from the war designed to fight them.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The people from Wutai train in a secret martial art that turns you into a monster. Already in the original, but maybe we get to see it more now that Wutai is simple ceasefired temporarily and not yet conquered.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

zedprime posted:

The people from Wutai train in a secret martial art that turns you into a monster. Already in the original, but maybe we get to see it more now that Wutai is simple ceasefired temporarily and not yet conquered.

I don’t remember this at all.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yuffie's pagoda sidequest, where you keep fighting people who inexplicably turn into Sasquatches and poo poo

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RatHat posted:

Wutai Pagoda quest for Yuffies final limit.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

RatHat posted:

It's the tower you climb to get Yuffie's final limit.

It's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Wutai's monster-magic was also shown in Crisis Core, iirc.