Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Amos, Ani Difranco and The Indigo Girls kind of formed the triumvirate of stereotypical lesbian music taste. Amos tended to be coy about her preferences but certain things could be read into her songs and Difranco and The Indigo Girls were out and proud at a time that was a rarity, so all three tended to draw a lot of interest from people that identifies with them.

DiFranco and Amos have both primarily been in heterosexual relationships the majority of their careers and I’ve seen them both get massive poo poo for it back when that was more popularly seen as lesbian betrayal in the 90s (still an issue, though less so)

There was a whole lot of contention in that 90s alt-femme world.

twistedmentat posted:

Because the switchover happened in the 90s, i'll ask in this thread, when did you switch from tapes to cds? I was buying tapes pretty late into the decade I remember, as up until at least 97 i only had a cassette player stereo. I had to check when my stereo was first released and it was 1997 so that's the earliest i had my own CD player. And I remember Xmas 2000 was when I bought a discman on boxing day.

I feel pretty late to adopt Cds.

I started buying CDs with the Wayne’s World soundtrack but for home-listening to replace records. The last major commercial tape I bought was Razorblade Suitcase (which was awful).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Being bi is lesbian betrayal?

Serious question, I don't know much about the scene :ohdear:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I remember buying a tape of Green Jelly's album Cereal Killer in 1992 or 93, so I guess I got my first CD player some time after that. Maybe 94 or 95?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Randaconda posted:

Ohhh boy, save yourself and never get a Tumblr account

I was born 1994 so I never knew a time before CDs, but for the first ten or so years of my life tapes still had a major presence because they were considered lower risk to give to children. You don't have to be careful about holding them by the edges and you can fix them if they get a little damaged

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Because the switchover happened in the 90s, i'll ask in this thread, when did you switch from tapes to cds?

I got my first CD player secondhand in 1995. It was a “portable” disc player from ‘89, a big chonker that had issues with its power source, so it required an AC adapter to play. Even then, it struggled mightily and if the disc was scratched (which most of them from the library were), just forget it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Randaconda posted:

There was(and to a lesser extent still is) a belief among the hard liners of the LGBTQ community(and even elsewhere) that Bi doesn't really exist it's just people too afraid to commit or even looking inattention by fishing in a shallower pool. Mostly gatekeeping assholes that also tend to be TERFS so gently caress them.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I first started buying CDs around 1990-91, but had most of them stolen a couple of years later. I didn't want to spend so much to buy back my music and CD burners weren't a thing yet, so I went back to tapes. Sometime around 1998 I got a killer deal on a car stereo with CD changer, so that's when I finally went back to CDs.

E: According to Crutchfield, I purchased that stereo on 3/23/1999. It's pretty cool that Crutchfield's website shows every purchase I've ever made from them, going back to 6/16/1996.

empty baggie has a new favorite as of 16:17 on May 8, 2020

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There was(and to a lesser extent still is) a belief among the hard liners of the LGBTQ community(and even elsewhere) that Bi doesn't really exist it's just people too afraid to commit or even looking inattention by fishing in a shallower pool. Mostly gatekeeping assholes that also tend to be TERFS so gently caress them.

It's gotten a bit better, I'm much less likely to have a gay man tell me bisexuality doesn't exist and those types are more likely to just go Ewww and believe in bad bi stereotypes. My bi/pan female friends seem to get it much worse from the lesbians but better than it was in the 90s. But gold stars are apparently still a thing. And if you're gonna go with musicians popular with lesbians, don't forget Melissa Etheridge ,who came out in 1993 and was a big deal because she came out right before her first big hits. And K.D. Lang who wasn't as musically successful but had a Vanity Fair photoshoot with Cindy Crawford that got a lot of attention.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There was(and to a lesser extent still is) a belief among the hard liners of the LGBTQ community(and even elsewhere) that Bi doesn't really exist it's just people too afraid to commit or even looking inattention by fishing in a shallower pool.
Bi erasure is real and I half-wonder if it's because of the poo poo in the 90s linking bicurious people to attention-seekers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It does seem to be a case where the most prominent early voices in bi/pan communities were those who were super into sleeping around for one reason or another and it really jaundiced the people already disposed to be possessive jackasses. "Oh so now you're telling me I need to be worried about everyone as a sexual rival!?!?!?!"

And that trickled into media portrayals where again the most prominent bi representation is always that they're the most promiscuous, and it becomes a feedback cycle.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Well if we're having this conversation, the stereotype I've seen online is that bi people are actually out to convince men that queer women can be part of their dating pool, and thus increase the number of men who will pursue and ultimately attack lesbians for turning them down, because... Bi women hate lesbians, for some reason.

Tho tbf I have seen way too many of my fellow bis push 'sexuality is fluid, you might not stay homosexual forever! Don't stay homosexual forever. Stuck in the 70s. Not woke' bullshit so

However this has been almost entirely internet bullshit, lesbians and bis are on the whole extremely chill and good

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

It does seem to be a case where the most prominent early voices in bi/pan communities were those who were super into sleeping around for one reason or another and it really jaundiced the people already disposed to be possessive jackasses. "Oh so now you're telling me I need to be worried about everyone as a sexual rival!?!?!?!"

And that trickled into media portrayals where again the most prominent bi representation is always that they're the most promiscuous, and it becomes a feedback cycle.

I'm not sure that's all of it. My ex-wife was firmly convinced that as a bisexual I had two sex drives that had to be sated. One for women, one for men. Discussions about gender being more complicated than that were met with "I'm a nurse, I know biology better than you".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I say this with love-- there is no force on this earth quite as arrogant as a nurse.

Most of them are genuinely chill people who know their wheelhouse and avoid overstepping their bounds, but ask any of them and they'll tell you about the 20% that "knows better" than everyone.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

empty baggie posted:

I first started buying CDs around 1990-91, but had most of them stolen a couple of years later.

Columbia Record Club represent!

My most embarassing cd purchase: Kenny G, "Silhouette." Although I also regret Steel Wheels.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I switched in about 1985. I kept making my own tapes well past the 90s though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I probably switched to CDs around 1996 when I got a stereo for Christmas. Still made tapes until the next year when I got my driver's liscense and a portable CD player that I could use to play CDs in the car

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

The last major commercial tape I bought was Razorblade Suitcase (which was awful).

Man when I’d heard that Bush was coming out with a new album, I was so amped.

I’d never been so disappointed in the first single of a sophomore release so I just didn’t bother. Dodged that bullet, and I reassessed my interest in that band altogether. Ugh.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Man when I’d heard that Bush was coming out with a new album, I was so amped.

I’d never been so disappointed in the first single of a sophomore release so I just didn’t bother. Dodged that bullet, and I reassessed my interest in that band altogether. Ugh.

This was my experience to a T.

And next was the Chemicals Between Us, so I feel the choice to drop them was absolutely correct. "That was the only new tape this week" was what finally convinced me to get a portable CD player.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

twistedmentat posted:

Because the switchover happened in the 90s, i'll ask in this thread, when did you switch from tapes to cds? I was buying tapes pretty late into the decade I remember, as up until at least 97 i only had a cassette player stereo. I had to check when my stereo was first released and it was 1997 so that's the earliest i had my own CD player. And I remember Xmas 2000 was when I bought a discman on boxing day.

This first CD I got was En Vogue's 1992 breakout album Funky Divas, but I got tapes as well (and made mixtapes) until 1997-ish, when I finally got a portable CD player.

I do still have a Walkman.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FilthyImp posted:

Bi erasure is real and I half-wonder if it's because of the poo poo in the 90s linking bicurious people to attention-seekers.

Probably, the recent months with a few actresses coming out on the heels of a marketing campaign for their new project I've even caught myself wondering about the timing.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I think I started getting CDs around 1994 because I distinctly remember one of the first was Green Day - Dookie.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I kinda liked Greedy Fly. Maybe like is a strong word and the rest of the album was trash but that song was ok. I wasn’t ever really a Bush fan though, and I hated Glycerine more than probably any other song of the era. Machinehead isn’t bad, I guess.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My dad had a CD player earlier than I did but he wouldn't let me touch it when he wasn't home and wouldn't let me get my on music on cd. I dunno, i figure he thought Superunknown would melt his expensive speakers or something?

The earliest cd i remember buying was What's The Story Morning Glory. I am pretty sure I had a CD drive on my computer before I had one in a stereo though. I do remember buying a lot of bootleg anime cds in Chinatown though.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

empty baggie posted:

I kinda liked Greedy Fly. Maybe like is a strong word and the rest of the album was trash but that song was ok. I wasn’t ever really a Bush fan though, and I hated Glycerine more than probably any other song of the era. Machinehead isn’t bad, I guess.

I remember the video for Greedy Fly being a big deal back in the day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FExyoAh6Ng

The look is neat, even if it seems to borrow heavily from David Fincher's Seven. Turns out it was shot in the same building which makes sense. Man, I miss music videos, silly as they are.

Bush is a guilty pleasure.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Harry Dean Stanton, Joan Osborne, and Cracker - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jr47Uw1ja4

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYBIRHi5-o8

:colbert:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I got a CD player for Christmas my senior year of high school, along with my first CD (Morrissey's Bona Drag). Was All In" on CD's after that until like a lot of you, I ended up selling them all off in the recent decade and now I'm a man child that pre-orders special edition splatter vinyl.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

twistedmentat posted:

I used my Christmas/paper route money to buy my first CD player in late 1986.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I got my first boom box that played tapes and CDs in 97 on my birthday. I remember the 2 CDs I got with it were Appetite for Destruction by Guns and Roses and Middle Of Nowhere by Hanson.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I got my first boom box that played tapes and CDs in 97 on my birthday. I remember the 2 CDs I got with it were Appetite for Destruction by Guns and Roses and Middle Of Nowhere by Hanson.

I misread that as "87" and was very confused as to either how you got a Hanson CD in the 80's, or why you waited 10 years to buy a second CD.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ferrule posted:

She blasted her husband in the face with a shotgun. Sorry if that sounds misogynistic.

https://youtu.be/YXOu4ePnMM8

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Here's something that popped into my brain recently.

Apologies for the dailymotion link but it appears to have been scrubbed from youtube.

lucas with the lid off
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15o91

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man i drank so much Fruitopia in the 90s.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Man i drank so much Fruitopia in the 90s.

Same here. My first job was in a mall and they sold that stuff right around the corner and, silly me, I was like THIS IS GOOD FOR ME glug glug glug

Meanwhile, the same genetics that gave me crippling depression were somehow shoring up the buttresses against D I A B E T E S which is what you can basically rearrange the letters in Fruitopia to spell if you can't read and have a lawyer

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
How many bites/bytes puns do you think were written on the menu at this place?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
fruitopia machine that doesn't have any fruitopia

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Oh god, I can’t even think of fruitopia without having a sugar-induced headache. Jeesh. On the other hand, Snapple Elements Rain, their agave cactus-flavor sugar water, was fantastic.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
What was that water that little balls in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ferrule posted:

What was that water that little balls in it?

That was Orbitz