Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Bet you one of the counts of resisting arrest is when he was just tazed and had no control over his body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

To shreds, you say?

Tsk tsk tsk.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
The sheer number of street parties in my neighbourhood, jesus.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

happyhippy posted:

Bet you one of the counts of resisting arrest is when he was just tazed and had no control over his body.

I reckon the drunk charge will be based on him having no control over his body, tbh.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

If the police are members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence, as they supposedly are,
They aren't though. They're only considered so these days in the context of justifying police discretion: it's not possible for them to literally prosecute every crime they see, so they have to have some discretion in order to justify not doing that, and the justification for giving them discretion is that they're just members of the public & not justice-dispensing automatons. In most other contexts, they totally are treated as being special.

It's a totally inconsistent theory, but the principle of policing by consent pre-existed special treatment for cops so my understanding is that it basically survived solely as the basis for that one thing because it was easier than coming up with a new rationale. It doesn't follow that they should be held to a higher standard, because the whole (contextual) rationale for preserving the idea is that they should not be held to a higher standard, to allow them the same discretion as everybody else. Otherwise we'd have to, like, hold them to account or something.

(apologies for the wooly explanation btw, my source for this is one half-remembered conversation over a boozy lunch with an anarchist human rights lawyer colleague of mine, who as you can imagine has some opinions on the subject)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I wish I had grabbed a copy of one of the many photos that were shared on one of my towns Facebook groups, but someone spray-painted "Die English Cunts" on a wall quite near my house.

The reactions were of course hilariously xenophobic and much to be expected from people of my town.

Here's some local hero painting over the graffiti:

It might have been longer than "Die English Cunts", I can't remember what it actually said, it was this morning.

I thought it was incredibly funny.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

They aren't though. They're only considered so these days in the context of justifying police discretion: it's not possible for them to literally prosecute every crime they see, so they have to have some discretion in order to justify not doing that, and the justification for giving them discretion is that they're just members of the public & not justice-dispensing automatons. In most other contexts, they totally are treated as being special.

It's a totally inconsistent theory, but the principle of policing by consent pre-existed special treatment for cops so my understanding is that it basically survived solely as the basis for that one thing because it was easier than coming up with a new rationale. It doesn't follow that they should be held to a higher standard, because the whole (contextual) rationale for preserving the idea is that they should not be held to a higher standard, to allow them the same discretion as everybody else. Otherwise we'd have to, like, hold them to account or something.

(apologies for the wooly explanation btw, my source for this is one half-remembered conversation over a boozy lunch with an anarchist human rights lawyer colleague of mine, who as you can imagine has some opinions on the subject)
I can see how they'd try to wrangle that out of "the police are just the public" along with the idea that they're not responsible for any specific person's safety but only 'the public order', but the "paid to give full-time attention to duties" bit implies different.

If a person is paid to do something full time that would otherwise fall on everyone to voluntarily do part time, whether that's collecting trash or cleaning streets or pollarding trees, it's generally reasonable to hold them to a higher standard of work, or at least have a formal system where people can tell them they're doing a poo poo job.

And if they aren't just the public and are a fully professionalized service with special privileges, then that's also a case for holding them to a higher standard either way.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Dead Goon posted:

I wish I had grabbed a copy of one of the many photos that were shared on one of my towns Facebook groups, but someone spray-painted "Die English Cunts" on a wall quite near my house.

The reactions were of course hilariously xenophobic and much to be expected from people of my town.

Here's some local hero painting over the graffiti:

It might have been longer than "Die English Cunts", I can't remember what it actually said, it was this morning.

I thought it was incredibly funny.

"The English Cunts" :confused: ???

Seems fine to me.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Probably just the RA keeping up appearances imo

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

I can see how they'd try to wrangle that out of "the police are just the public" along with the idea that they're not responsible for any specific person's safety but only 'the public order', but the "paid to give full-time attention to duties" bit implies different.

If a person is paid to do something full time that would otherwise fall on everyone to voluntarily do part time, whether that's collecting trash or cleaning streets or pollarding trees, it's generally reasonable to hold them to a higher standard of work, or at least have a formal system where people can tell them they're doing a poo poo job.

And if they aren't just the public and are a fully professionalized service with special privileges, then that's also a case for holding them to a higher standard either way.
No arguments here, it's a bullshit theory & everybody knows it (one of those "useful fictions" lawyers like banging on about). It's just that they're only treated as being ordinary citizens where the consequences of not doing so would be to hold them to a higher standard (like expecting them to enforce hate speech legislation against fash). They're only treated as special where it lets them be held to a lower standard (like what counts as reasonable force).

Personally I've always been a big fan of the "incumbent on every citizen" bit, because it theoretically means that if you & a few dozen comrades happen to come across some dickhead with a Starmer haircut & loudspeaker inciting racial hatred up on a podium, it becomes incumbent upon you to use reasonable force to stop them.

In theory. Plod might disagree.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I was wondering why there were people flying English flags and bunching up in crowds everywhere. The only thing more consistent than the chatter outside is the police sirens.

Do people normally celebrate VE day?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

zentigeist posted:

No. It's Tory bollocks, inspired at least in part by a hatred of May Day.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

zentigeist posted:

I was wondering why there were people flying English flags and bunching up in crowds everywhere. The only thing more consistent than the chatter outside is the police sirens.

Only people like Farage.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it's the 75th anniversary and theyve been going whole hog on the jingoism for it. havent seen any soviet bunting for some reason even though they did all the heavy lifting???

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/may/08/uk-coronavirus-live-britain-ve-day-anniversary-lockdown-covid-19-latest-updates

judging from the live blog this press conference is a disaster

- 626 more deaths
- 6th day where they've failed to meet the testing target
- £16m to 5,000 charities to help feed the most vulnerable, which is about 3 grand per charity. also it's actually already part of the £750m they'd already announced, so they're not even spending an extra pittance

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

75 anniversary is a vaguely acceptable reason for making a slightly larger deal out of it than normal but no this is a political invocation of nationalism to dominate the conversation and shut down dissenters of current political actions.

Let's revisit these numbers in two weeks though and we can probably see how many people it killed.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Oh dear me posted:

No. It's Tory bollocks, inspired at least in part by a hatred of May Day.

Holy poo poo I'm genuinely surprised at this, I've never lived in the South before I'm just shocked haha.
They all do have the slapped ham look about them, is it like this every VE day?? Or do they just have a death wish.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

XMNN posted:

it's the 75th anniversary and theyve been going whole hog on the jingoism for it. havent seen any soviet bunting for some reason even though they did all the heavy lifting???

I'm genuinely devastated I don't have my soviet flag to hang out my window.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

zentigeist posted:

I'm genuinely devastated I don't have my soviet flag to hang out my window.

Going to get it counts as an essential journey.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Personally I've always been a big fan of the "incumbent on every citizen" bit, because it theoretically means that if you & a few dozen comrades happen to come across some dickhead with a Starmer haircut & loudspeaker inciting racial hatred up on a podium, it becomes incumbent upon you to use reasonable force to stop them.
You mean the man himself when he comes up with some not-racist appeal to Real England?

XMNN posted:

Local pub's got all the allied flags, including the USSR, 48 star USA, ROC, and the Bad South Africa.

Also some posters that are a bit more relevant than they expected when they got them.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Gotta do it for our boys in red :c00lbert:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

jesus christ

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

zentigeist posted:

is it like this every VE day?? Or do they just have a death wish.

No, it's never happened before, I doubt many people were even aware of the date.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Petition to change Remembrance Sunday to Celebration Sunday.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I think they're making a big deal out of this as this is probably the last big anniversary where there's going to be a signficant number of veterans still alive

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

happyhippy posted:

Twitter, so who knows, but apparently he had already been resisting for some time when the camera started rolling, including using the child as a human shield to push them away when they tried to arrest him.

Bobstar posted:

K-starm getting more praise from the best possible sources I see

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1258677559291793408

This is a great way to get the Olds on side to actually make the government do something about care homes though. I'll take it. Edit: Although hilarious trying to say that the only thing stopping Corbyn from favourable front page Torygraph spreads was just him asking.

GazChap posted:

I left my house last night to go and get some fish’n’chips, just as the 8pm clap started. Everybody was doing it, which made me feel a little bad that we haven’t been. It also felt massively uncomfortable, like everyone was sarcastically clapping my decision to not cook for myself.

We had the exact same experience. Walking to our local park and realised it was almost Clap Clap Time and we still had a couple of minutes of houses to get past before we reached some open space. Everyone was just standing in their gardens watching us walk by and it was super awkward. Neither of us does the clap thing both because it's mawkish and because we hate the way people are using it to pretend like they give a poo poo about the NHS when they'll happily vote the Tories in. I sort of ended up doing embarrassed half clapping as we walked past the last few houses. Eugh. Also, someone apparently had an air raid siren.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 8, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I think they're making a big deal out of this as this is probably the last big anniversary where there's going to be a signficant number of veterans still alive

with the Tories in charge of the pandemic response, you might as well remove the word "probably"

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

josh04 posted:

jesus christ

vaccums the piss right out of the balls

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

DesperateDan posted:

vaccums the piss right out of the balls

hey it's technically correct

great choice of headline imo

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

XMNN posted:

with the Tories in charge of the pandemic response, you might as well remove the word "probably"

judging by the distancing not being done on my street right now, you're correct

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

josh04 posted:

jesus christ

lol that is absolutely shameless

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I've got a slow cooker on the go at the moment, but can I just ask, how does one work? I've put in a load of chicken and other stuff, but how do they function?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

^ hot bulb in the bottom slowly warms everything.

The Beeb has moved that "breaking" to the home page, where it doesn't even get the subtitle.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Prince John posted:

We had the exact same experience. Walking to our local park and realised it was almost Clap Clap Time and we still had a couple of minutes of houses to get past before we reached some open space. Everyone was just standing in their gardens watching us walk by and it was super awkward. Neither of us does the clap thing both because it's mawkish and because we hate the way people are using it to pretend like they give a poo poo about the NHS when they'll happily vote the Tories in. I sort of ended up doing embarrassed half clapping as we walked past the last few houses. Eugh. Also, someone apparently had an air raid siren.

I left my shift at 8 last night and started walking to the Tube, with people clapping and cheering, and emergency vehicles setting their sirens off... while I walked, trying to get my MP3 sorted out for my journey home.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Prince John posted:

I had to look up mawkish because it looked like it might have an interesting etymology, and I was right:

From Middle English mawk, mauk, a contraction of mathek, from Old Norse maðkr (“maggot”), a diminutive of a base from Proto-Germanic *maþô (“worm”)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought they just had a big heating element like a toaster.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

OwlFancier posted:

I thought they just had a big heating element like a toaster.

Huh, I'd always assumed it was a bulb, but looking online it's some sort of element in a band around the middle, yeah.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it was a bulb it wouldn't heat the sides and also it wouldn't be very efficient. Also it would have to get crazy hot. Slow cookers do get very hot still, they just don't need to always be that hot.

Slow cookers are really good and hopefully your casserole turns out well Josef. I recommend trying to make pinnackelty if you get the chance.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Oh dear me posted:

No, it's never happened before, I doubt many people were even aware of the date.
7th May!

We only celebrate it on the 8th because Stalin asked us to :laugh:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

they cook slowly op

but yeah the pot gets heated so make sure you have liquid in there to let the heat travel through the food, and you put the stuff that takes a while to cook on the bottom (like potatoes). Then you put it on and it heats at a low temp and it's done when everything is that temp (which takes a while because it's low temp!) If there's a high setting it just cooks hotter so it's done faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I went for a drive earlier to keep the batteries charged (they died earlier in the week) and was a bit surprised by how many cars I saw, before realising that it was a bank holiday in a massive city so relatively speaking it was incredibly quiet.