Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
My manager completely hosed up our exchange permissions. I don't know what he was trying to do, but he didn't exactly warn us he was doing it.
There's a shitton of tickets coming in about people not being able to access their mailboxes at all and now apparently nobody else but him has Exchange admin privileges.

I'm not even going to spend any cycles trying to figure this out. This is his mess and he can clean it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Just so we're all on the same page, there's supposed to be an 'n' in 'Documents'. It gets an 'm', but only one. Somebody else might be having problems with a backup script, so I just wanted to throw that out there.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I don't know about you but I save everything I work on to "MyDocumemts" folder.

The mem is in there because I've memorized all my files.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Documems has a nice ring to it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

way better term than "files" (boring, evokes dusty paper-filled offices of yesteryear)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

*activates laser sunglasses* time to punch the cyber-deck and recall some documems

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I hate how at my new job the campus is so large that nobody knows anybody.

I go respond to a ticket and I look like an idiot because I don’t know where anything is and the people there don’t know who anyone else is or where anything is either so I come back empty handed on otherwise dead simple tickets.

The nurses are also busy so not only do I feel shady being asked wtf I’m doing wandering around they don’t really have time to answer my questions or help me look for their stricken WOW

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DelphiAegis posted:

I don't know about you but I save everything I work on to "MyDocumemts" folder.

mllaneza posted:

It gets an 'm', but only one.

NyDocumemts

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
What kind of animal doesn't wash their dirty dishes before they leave for the day?

Nope sorry there's no exception for "well it's my cup on my desk". Waddle to the sink and rinse it on your way out ffs.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
SCREECH

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

taqueso posted:

Documems has a nice ring to it

Documemes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Did you get "the thing" I sent you? :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Enjoy the ment

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Weatherman posted:

What kind of animal doesn't wash their dirty dishes before they leave for the day?

Nope sorry there's no exception for "well it's my cup on my desk". Waddle to the sink and rinse it on your way out ffs.

Hard to do that when the office likes to store their dirty dishes in the sink preventing anyone from using it as a sink.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
After a super busy day, I get home last night just wanting to sit down, relax, and play BL3 for a while... Only for my gaming machine to shutdown when the main game loads. I soon discover just about every game causes this once the video card ramps up.

Try a GPU burn in tool...same... Its not a reboot, it appears the PSU is completely shutting down and then coming back up 2 seconds later.

After lots of trouble shooting I end up using my multimeter and measuring voltage on the PCI-E GPU power connectors.. I see the voltage starts to sag under heavy GPU/CPU load, once it creeps under 11.8, the PSU shuts off completely. All the voltage rails disappear for a moment, even the 5V standby line.

Welp.... gently caress. Guess I'm venturing into the infested hellscape to pickup a new PSU from Microcenter.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Warranty that poo poo and don't take no for an answer!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

TheParadigm posted:

Warranty that poo poo and don't take no for an answer!

Wish it was under warranty... Older Antec 620watt. I can't even remember when or where I bought it from.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Weatherman posted:

I have a routine where I bring a coffee cup into the office each morning, and then on my way out I clean it out and fill it with water and take it home. I forgot it that night, went on a business trip the following day and then suddenly NYC was shutdown and I could get back in. :negative:

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

"No, you can't have 50 people share a single user login for a commercial information service. They will notice"

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Many years ago my boss once asked me to make a copy of a USB key. This USB key wasn't a flash drive... it was a USB license dongle.

But it looks like a USB flash drive, so it must be possible to copy it!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

stevewm posted:

Many years ago my boss once asked me to make a copy of a USB key. This USB key wasn't a flash drive... it was a USB license dongle.

But it looks like a USB flash drive, so it must be possible to copy it!

To be fair, I am a huge computer nerd but didn't know that license USBs were different from regular USB flash drives till about a month ago.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Steakandchips posted:

To be fair, I am a huge computer nerd but didn't know that license USBs were different from regular USB flash drives till about a month ago.

We've got licensing dongles that cost $10,000 to replace if you lose them. They're for the software that runs a $250k mass spectrometer. How the gently caress is the mass spec not the loving dongle ?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mllaneza posted:

We've got licensing dongles that cost $10,000 to replace if you lose them. They're for the software that runs a $250k mass spectrometer. How the gently caress is the mass spec not the loving dongle ?

So they can sell different (versions of) software for the same unit.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Yeah that all seems kinda stupid... Who is going to pirate software that is only useful when attached to a $250k machine?!

The only USB dongles we have are for specialty CAD software. They cost $3k, and if you loose one, you have to buy another one at full price. But if you break a key they will replace it for a few hundred, assuming you can send them back identifiable pieces of the broken one. One REALLY stupid thing however, the keys have an expiration date. They have to be renewed every year. After the support bill is paid they give you a reset code to extend the expiration date by another year.

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS
Hahaha, our fleet of mass spectrometers are running on a mix of xp and win7 to avoid the new dongle game.

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

mllaneza posted:

Software that runs scientific equipment usually also functions as the data analysis software, which can be really convenient to have on your own office machine or a computer lab machine so you don't take up instrument time on your $250K mass spec or, in my case, your $2.5M electron microscope. Dongles or onerous copy protection and extremely proprietary data output mean that you get to pay the company to do no more work to sell you another copy of the software to run on an off-line computer not connected to the actual instrument.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

stevewm posted:

Yeah that all seems kinda stupid... Who is going to pirate software that is only useful when attached to a $250k machine?!

When you can buy a $15,000 clone of the device on alibaba?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

When you bought the machine it came with v2 but you didn't pay for maintenance and now it's on v6

Also people buying used

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Tbf I remember a USB licence dongle's case falling off, and it was just a standard 2GB flash drive inside.

I also remember trying to find some sort of software that emulated USB devices, cause our server running the VMs had all it's USB sockets filled with dongle's, and we needed to add a few more. (A day later I remembered hubs were a thing and felt like a moron)

J
Jun 10, 2001

Management: Thing X is your highest priority.
Management: Wait, thing Y is now your highest priority. Work on thing Y above all else.
Management: Need a status update on thing X.
Management: :supaburn: WHY ISN'T THING X DONE :supaburn:

:bang:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My boss does a variation on this...

Boss: Here is some task I need done, no hurry, get to whenever you have time.
Boss: (10 minutes later) Do you have that done yet? I really need it now.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

mllaneza posted:

Just so we're all on the same page, there's supposed to be an 'n' in 'Documents'. It gets an 'm', but only one. Somebody else might be having problems with a backup script, so I just wanted to throw that out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL02ikAqzPo

Weedle
May 31, 2006

fuckin great. of course this happens on the day the whole faculty has to use it to submit their professional development logs. hope you have internet explorer

quote:

Service Degradation

Title: Can't open custom PowerApps forms for SharePoint Online
User Impact: Users may be unable to open custom PowerApps forms for SharePoint Online.
More info: Users may also be unable to open, edit or add new items in lists that contain forms customized in PowerApps.
We recommend users who have access to Internet Explorer use that protocol as an alternative method to open forms.
Current status: We're reviewing service monitoring telemetry to isolate the source of the issue and establish a fix.
Scope of impact: Impact is specific to users attempting to open the affected forms from any browser that is not Internet Explorer.

Next update by: Thursday, May 7, 2020, at 4:30 PM UTC

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
So, with 1 month left in our deadline to implement a working DR strategy for our company critical, snowflake-as-gently caress DB server, we find out from MS that it's not a supported configuration for their ASR Product...like at all. And it probably ever wasn't either. Someone loving didn't do their job.

This is 6 months after our Exec team decided to let my admittedly difficult to work with boss, who was actually really good at his job, go in a very Political move, and 3 weeks after laying off the last remaining Director in this department.

I'm really considering just telling this company to go gently caress themselves, since to fix this is going to require me working 24x7 for the next few weeks.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wicaeed posted:

So, with 1 month left in our deadline to implement a working DR strategy for our company critical, snowflake-as-gently caress DB server, we find out from MS that it's not a supported configuration for their ASR Product...like at all. And it probably ever wasn't either. Someone loving didn't do their job.

This is 6 months after our Exec team decided to let my admittedly difficult to work with boss, who was actually really good at his job, go in a very Political move, and 3 weeks after laying off the last remaining Director in this department.

I'm really considering just telling this company to go gently caress themselves, since to fix this is going to require me working 24x7 for the next few weeks.

Sounds like that deadline just went out the window. And it might be time to :yotj:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Implementing a working DR strategy isn't something with a hard deadline. Part of having a working DR strategy is limiting your technical debt and having sufficient expertise available to handle important projects. It sounds like the company has failed their first test and they should spend time evaluating why. Please do not pull crazy hours to bail them out.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Implementing a working DR strategy isn't something with a hard deadline. Part of having a working DR strategy is limiting your technical debt and having sufficient expertise available to handle important projects. It sounds like the company has failed their first test and they should spend time evaluating why. Please do not pull crazy hours to bail them out.

Yeah there is a lot to be said about being flexible with deadlines, however our Department Head and I had a conversion where he was throwing around terms like "I don't know what will happen if our DR plan doesn't work".

To give a bit of background, this Department Head is buddies with our CTO. I pulled the Glassdoor from the company that they both previously worked at and the reviews were not pretty.

Almost all of the complains from people on Glassdoor who would have been working under the then-CTO were verbatim issues I've seen first hand in this company, which points to the lack of planning or IT resources being part of the plan.

Also Dept Head is on PTO today and Monday, so while he's off doing gently caress-knows-what, our entire department is working this weekend to start implementing the first steps of our DR testing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

You seem to be making this your problem, or letting someone else do so. Are you really sure you need that job that much? And that it would involve a firing if you just said no?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
I mean yeah, isn't that why salaried employees exist? To dump ridiculous deadlines and insane workloads on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wicaeed posted:

I mean yeah, isn't that why salaried employees exist? To dump ridiculous deadlines and insane workloads on.

salaried != salaried exempt

You're salaried exempt? Oh? So you frequently work less than 40 hours a week?