Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How mad are you going to get when I call your favorite Pokemon unviable?
5: I will set the entire cloud ablaze with the heat of my rage!!!
4: I will be quite rankled, and will have no problem telling you as much!
3: I'll be a little upset, and might debate you on it.
2: Disappointed, but I know my faves are bad.
1: I don't know gently caress about poo poo.
View Results

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Mumbling posted:

I thought it was fixed in yellow?

Not from what I read on Bulbapedia but it wouldn't be the first time Bulbapedia was wrong.

And yeah lick of Garbage with a capital G but thematically it belongs on Lickitung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Charizard not learning Fly was fixed in Yellow

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

You’re right it’s only gen 2 and beyond. I was almost positive it was amongst the move set changes in yellow.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Charizard - Fly (HM)
Pikachu - Tail Whip, Double Team (by level up instead of just TM), Slam (instead of Swift), Thunderbolt (Level), Light Screen
Nidoran(a/o) F & M: Now get Double Kicker much earlier
Nidoqueen/king: Now get Double Kick instead of Poison Sting
Venonat/Venomoth: Supersonic & Confusion
Diglett/Dugtrio: Cut (HM)
Mankey: Low Kick & Screech
Primeape: Low Kick, Screech & Rage (Level Up)
Kadabra/Alakazam: Kinesis (the only way to get this move at all in gen 1 is by capturing wild Kadabra at a low enough level in Yellow)
Cubone/Marowak: Tail Whip (...Leer is still in its moveset), Headbutt. It also now learns Boneclub by level up (10) instead of innate at level 1 which is functionally not different
Rhyhorn/Rhydon: Stomp, Tail Whip & Fury Attack are now Level 1 moves...but also are still Level up moves
Chansey: Tail Whip (as a Level 1 move). Double Slap is now learned at level 10 instead of level 1
Tangela: Vine Whip!!!!
Scyther: Wing Attack
Pinsir: Bind
Gyarados: Bite, Hydro Pump, Leer Dragon Rage are no longer Level 1 moves, replaced by Tackle.
Eevee: Focus Energy
Vaporeon: Lost Mist, gained Aurora Beam
Jolteon: Shuffled its level ups a little
Flareon: Lost Rage, gained Smog

Most of these just came about from Pikachu being the starter & eevee being with your rival, others were just the odd touch up & here and there. Bind Pinsir probably didn't shake up the meta.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

rannum posted:

Most of these just came about from Pikachu being the starter & eevee being with your rival, others were just the odd touch up & here and there. Bind Pinsir probably didn't shake up the meta.
Interestingly, those "odd touch-ups" despite being just small changes end up being super relevant gameplay-wise - Mankey learning Low Kick basically was the only reason I ever gotten past Brock in Yellow and Nidoran's Double Kick features heavily in the speedrun.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

MagusofStars posted:

Interestingly, those "odd touch-ups" despite being just small changes end up being super relevant gameplay-wise - Mankey learning Low Kick basically was the only reason I ever gotten past Brock in Yellow and Nidoran's Double Kick features heavily in the speedrun.

I'm guessing that Mankey decision (plus making Mankey available before Brock) was specifically done to help get past Brock. It's either that or Butterfree (which I always took.)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

rannum posted:

Kadabra/Alakazam: Kinesis (the only way to get this move at all in gen 1 is by capturing wild Kadabra at a low enough level in Yellow)

Interesting note, I was one of the lucky people to see Kinesis before Yellow came out, when using Metronome. Surprised the hell outta me.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

The Nidorans & Mankey are done as part of Pikachu being your starter. It's a concession for having a forced starter that cannot deal with Brock. So the Nidorans got Double Kick way earlier, Mankey got Low Kick and put in the starting areas so you had some SE damage.

iirc early game Mankey is one of the few encoutner table shake ups that FRLG took from Yellow, presumably so Charmander players had an alternative to grinding for Metal Claw (even though ember will still do better but shh)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Yes but lick is absolute garbage in gen 1 with only 20 bpl. It's only use is as the sole ghost not night shade move and has a chance to paralyze. Gen 1 was a Trainwreck of wasted and empty move pools.

Meanwhile Marowak and Hitmonlee have 2/3 wildly redundant exclusive moves all to themselves, and two TM slots are taken up by moves that only 1-2* 'mons can learn... rather than just putting them in their level-up list??? It's always shocking to look back at games like this and marvel at how the series ever got off the ground being this janky and poorly-planned.

*Mew doesn't count and you know it:colbert:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When I played Yellow, I got by Brock with my Butterfree using Confusion. I never explored the west of Viridian city in the early game and always skipped that Rival fight.

Allosauroidea
Jan 30, 2020
Edit: I didn't see there was a whole other page of replies and we'd already moved on from tangela but shhh

It's so disappointing that Tangela loses a huge chunk of its bulk in the next generation so even though its moveset is decent now and it has access to Regenerator it'll never be able to use it to its full potential that it had in RBY. At least there's Eviolite, but even that isn't as good as it would have been with 100 spdef behind it.

And Tangrowth is pretty much just Tangela with an Attack boost so it's not like it becomes much bulkier from evolving either.

Allosauroidea fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 7, 2020

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

My first time playing yellow I beat Brock by level grinding my Pidgeotto. I think it was like level 18 when I finally bring through.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Allosauroidea posted:

Edit: I didn't see there was a whole other page of replies and we'd already moved on from tangela but shhh

It's so disappointing that Tangela loses a huge chunk of its bulk in the next generation so even though its moveset is decent now and it has access to Regenerator it'll never be able to use it to its full potential that it had in RBY. At least there's Eviolite, but even that isn't as good as it would have been with 100 spdef behind it.

And Tangrowth is pretty much just Tangela with an Attack boost so it's not like it becomes much bulkier from evolving either.

Tangrowth is super good though. Sure it doesn't have the special bulk that gen 1 Tangela had but it is basically tailor made for Assault Vest and was OU for both gen 6 and 7.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rannum posted:

[Yellow Moveset changea]

I remember making a spreadsheet with gen 1 and 2 level up movesets. The goal was to setup the ideal path for each pokemon either to get the moves I wanted on it, or to just hit the greatest number of moves possible (not that you could actually keep them with only four slots, but it was the idea behind it).

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

My first time playing yellow I beat Brock by level grinding my Pidgeotto. I think it was like level 18 when I finally bring through.

I recently played through Red with a Charmander and my strategy with Brock was to simply overwhelm him with numbers, growling and tail whipping him into nothing and then chipping him down with level 9 mons. Slow, but works surprisingly well!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly, making Brock the first gym leader in the whole series is kind of a dick move. It should have been Erica. If you pick Charmander your only real options are power leveling or a tedious wearing down. If it had been Erica, no matter who your starter was you still had options with Pidgey or a Spearow (although I can't remember if Spearow has a Flying move by this point or not, but I know Pidgey has Gust)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Honestly, making Brock the first gym leader in the whole series is kind of a dick move. It should have been Erica. If you pick Charmander your only real options are power leveling or a tedious wearing down. If it had been Erica, no matter who your starter was you still had options with Pidgey or a Spearow (although I can't remember if Spearow has a Flying move by this point or not, but I know Pidgey has Gust)

Gust is a normal type move in RBY, IIRC, and you don't get Spearow until after Brock unless you're in Yellow.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Gust is Normal-type in Gen I. Which is just a very peak Gen I choice.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh. Well there went that idea. A fresh Butterfree could still take her, though

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Eirika would've been a bad first leader since instead of one starter getting the short end, it's two starters. Assuming she still mostly had grass/poisons (the ONLY pure Grass was Tangela who probably would be a small nightmare as the first boss) bulbasaur is double screwed, squirtle's standard screwed and at that point you're relying on Butterfree again which you'd do anyway for Charmander

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Misty would have been a good choice because Pikachu would have supplemented Charmander being a liability and Squirtle would have been just neutral.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Honestly, making Brock the first gym leader in the whole series is kind of a dick move.
Yeah. The biggest issue is that Rock has high natural defense *and* a resistance to Normal moves (far and away the most common move this early). Oh, and even if you wants to nab guys who you find on the way, most of the other options are Flying or Poison, which also have the same issues dealing damage to Rock.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MagusofStars posted:

Yeah. The biggest issue is that Rock has high natural defense *and* a resistance to Normal moves (far and away the most common move this early). Oh, and even if you wants to nab guys who you find on the way, most of the other options are Flying or Poison, which also have the same issues dealing damage to Rock.

I do think Brock works to a degree as a boss who forces you to develop a team and strategy beyond "crush everything with your starter," but that obviously doesn't apply to Squirtle and Bulbasaur.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Brock is perfectly fine because he forces kids to think a little about strategy, even if said strategy is "grinding". I'd be surprised if he actually stopped anyone from playing the game, considering how somewhat successful they were.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Even charmander can take on Onix at a fairly reasonable level because onix's special is so bad, but that's not immediately obvious. It's not like either of his pokemon have actual rock moves in RBY.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Simply Simon posted:

Brock is perfectly fine because he forces kids to think a little about strategy, even if said strategy is "grinding". I'd be surprised if he actually stopped anyone from playing the game, considering how somewhat successful they were.

I can agree with imposing the need to grind, but I also feel like games should force you to start using strategy when you have the means to access the tools required for that. When you hit Brock, the only grinding place is Viridian Forest, which is almost exclusively larval bug types, which give bad experience. Anything before that is too low-level so it has the same problem

Allosauroidea
Jan 30, 2020

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've always said that Rock is the perfect first gym type and I think it shows in how often it's been used. It's a type that's very different from how it first appears. You see the high defences and resistance to the Normal and Flying moves you're probably relying on, but it is a terrible defensive typing, tied for the worst with Grass (which lacks the high defences and common resistances that make Rock work in this role), with a ton of weaknesses. It's incredibly easy to exploit, if you know how . And so it tests kids on their knowledge of basic type matchups in a really clever way, at least I think personally, as their first hurdle before releasing them into the rest of the game.

I think Brock's dickishness is more poor level design in terms of Pokemon selection, as well as movepool design, in RB than an inherent problem with a Rock type first gym.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, Falkner was a worse choice for a first gym leader by a long shot.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Allosauroidea posted:

I think Brock's dickishness is more poor level design in terms of Pokemon selection, as well as movepool design, in RB than an inherent problem with a Rock type first gym.

Yeah, if you swap him with erika you could just as easily at that point give the player mankey or hell, something other than your starter(yes pikachu, but brock is immune and butterfree is 2 evolutions in and not particularly obvious)capable of using the special stat.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Allosauroidea posted:

I've always said that Rock is the perfect first gym type and I think it shows in how often it's been used. It's a type that's very different from how it first appears. You see the high defences and resistance to the Normal and Flying moves you're probably relying on, but it is a terrible defensive typing, tied for the worst with Grass (which lacks the high defences and common resistances that make Rock work in this role), with a ton of weaknesses. It's incredibly easy to exploit, if you know how . And so it tests kids on their knowledge of basic type matchups in a really clever way, at least I think personally, as their first hurdle before releasing them into the rest of the game.

The difference between Brock and, say, Roxanne is that she comes at a point when you have more access to things. Brock comes pretty early. It's really hard to test that knowledge when people don't have access to the tools needed to use it. Sure, someone completely new to the series has a 2/3 chance of blowing past Brock, but the ones who went for the "this is gonna be a dragon someday" neon sign are pretty much up the creek. And it doesn't help that he's the only leader you can't come back to later, you HAVE to beat him when you hit Pewter.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Gust is a normal type move in RBY, IIRC, and you don't get Spearow until after Brock unless you're in Yellow.

:eng101: Spearow is obtainable in the patch of grass west of Viridian, it's shown in the very first update of this LP.

Allosauroidea
Jan 30, 2020

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The difference between Brock and, say, Roxanne is that she comes at a point when you have more access to things. Brock comes pretty early. It's really hard to test that knowledge when people don't have access to the tools needed to use it.

This I completely agree with. Like I said, it's definitely an RB game design issue, I still maintain Rock is THE best first gym type out there.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Onix in particular makes a *great* first boss. Looks intimidating to a newbie, *huge* defenses and resistance to normal attacks, which at this point will be *most* of your team's basic attacks. Encourages you to look for another way to beat it rather than brute force - either by using type advantage, or looking into some of those other moves that don't do damage, like tail whip and leer to make him more vulnerable to your attacks.

And at the same time, Onix is *not* an offensive powerhouse. Bind can be intimidating because it stops you from attacking, and Bide can be scary if you don't know what it does and suddenly it oneshots you. But for the most part, all Onix can really do is chip damage - which is good, because it gives the player time to experiment and learn what works. Giving him Rock Tomb in FR/LG actually made him a less effective "first boss" because a brand new player doesn't really have time to think of a workaround strategy for his high defenses because suddenly Onix now has a move that, for this part of the game, honestly hits like a freight train.

Allosauroidea
Jan 30, 2020
Onix and Nosepass are great first boss mons. The problem is that they're in a game where every monster is usable and they're bad at everything *except* being a first boss. I think it's telling that they both received evolutions immediately .

The funny thing is that Geodude would have been a much much more threatening ace for Brock to have. It's got worse physical bulk but it having a bit more health and the same special gives it better overall bulk, and it's almost twice as powerful. The only thing it really loses in is its lack of speed.

Allosauroidea fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 8, 2020

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Allosauroidea posted:

Onix and Nosepass are great first boss mons. The problem is that they're in a game where every monster is usable and they're bad at everything *except* being a first boss. I think it's telling that they both received evolutions immediately .

The funny thing is that Geodude would have been a much much more threatening ace for Brock to have. It's got worse physical bulk but it having a bit more health and the same special gives it better overall bulk, and it's almost twice as powerful. The only thing it really loses in is its lack of speed.

My instinctive response to that is that Onix's design is just so much cooler than Geodude's that it wouldn't really work. But then that gets me wondering how much of that perspective is shaped by my experience playing Gen 1. If their positions and rarities were swapped, would I think the boulder is cooler than the rock snake?

BRB, gotta change my PhD thesis.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Onix is bigger. That makes it cooler.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Karia posted:

My instinctive response to that is that Onix's design is just so much cooler than Geodude's that it wouldn't really work. But then that gets me wondering how much of that perspective is shaped by my experience playing Gen 1. If their positions and rarities were swapped, would I think the boulder is cooler than the rock snake?

Cubone is rarer than Onix but categorically is less cool than Onix, qed a rare version of Geodude would not be more cool than a more common Onix

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I can agree with imposing the need to grind, but I also feel like games should force you to start using strategy when you have the means to access the tools required for that. When you hit Brock, the only grinding place is Viridian Forest, which is almost exclusively larval bug types, which give bad experience. Anything before that is too low-level so it has the same problem
I think grinding is just one possible strategy, and easily the worst (considering your options). I do remember despairing a little in Yellow with Pikachu, until I discovered Butterfree and its mighty Confusion. That is a grind as well, but at least only to level 10 (which was changed in Yellow! Two levels earlier).

It still was pretty tough because I couldn't just spam Confusion, because Bide. So things learned:
- try other options beside your starter
- Pokemon can learn off-type moves that are really good
- you don't always have to use STAB attacks
- consider having non-attacking moves to debuff Onix while it's Biding
- actually I also softened it up with Tail Whips etc. to have a backup strategy of physical moves if it happened to Tackle Butterfree too often

I actually kept using Butterfree for the entire game, which also taught me the value of various powders...

Allosauroidea
Jan 30, 2020

Karia posted:

Yeah no I know why they did it and I wouldn't change it, just thought it was funny to think that the mook is statistically so much more threatening than the actual boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Shame that Onix being designed as a first boss mon meant it got screwed stat wise, but at least Steelix fixed it pretty well. Still, Pokemon games are designed well enough that you'll always find great options to take them down nearby. Like with Misty even if you're not running with best choice Bulbasaur, Route 24 has Oddish or Bellsprout and Misty's Starmie is pretty neutered by having its strongest attack be Bubblebeam. It still smarts but she can also waste time with Tackle or X Defense. With Lt. Surge, you've got Diglett's Cave right next door, as well as Sandshrew in Blue and a trainer will trade you a Nidorino that you can use a Moon Stone on. Erika has Flareon in the same city, I guess, along with Doduo right next door, as well as the ICE BEAM TM, so yeah you're always good.