Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
yeah, look in your router for a DHCP reservation and set it to use your mac. also expire your old lease on that one if it’s still present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
you won't believe this poo poo

After my post I was getting real annoyed about this whole psu fiasco and I said gently caress it if I still have to wait like five more days for this new motherboard and I'm gonna trash this one I might as well give it one last shot

I Googled the data sheet for the BIOS_A chip and I realized it was way different than other Gigabyte motherboards other people had issues with

long story short I soldered a wire from pin 4 to pin 7 on the BIOS_A chip and the loving computer actually started!

So now I have a brand new PSU in there so if all my blue screens were in fact caused by the psu all is now well!

It's very possible the motherboard was the cause of all my blue screens and not the psu, but I'll know in a day or two

Thanks so much for everyone's help, this was literally the only forum on the loving planet that suggested it could be my psu. And even a page or two ago someone even mentioned shorting pins on the bios

Love you folks so much :h:

Edit : just got a bluescreen lol

So it's definitely the motherboard (unless the cpu is bad?) and maybe the psu caused the motherboard to go bad or something. Oh well.

Edit 2: it was a driver verifier bsod. I forgot to turn it off so maybe it was just bad luck or coincidence

Edit 3: computer randomly turned off and won't turn on again. Definitely the motherboard. No clue if my pos psu fried it or what.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 5, 2020

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

unsurprisingly the win7 drivers didnt install

idk what is going on but i guess i'll just have to use the fresco logic ports. it works fine on macos and linux on the same pc, it's just windows. turns out, truly, My OS is a Piece Of poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

that looks about right for a usb ssd drive

i mean, i don't really care if it's 430 MBps or 200 MBps or whatever but at the very least i should be able to play Resident Evil Revelations 2 (2015, dir. Yasuhiro Ampo) without the fmv scene skipping and pausing every few seconds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

ok so my replacement motherboard should be here in the mail in a few days; the only thing i am dreading is any time i ever got a new motherboard the local IP address of the computer changed.

it was 192.168.1.241

you shouldn't have revealed your IP. i'm hacking you. i'm inside your computer right now

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

you shouldn't have revealed your IP. i'm hacking you. i'm inside your computer right now

The more people that have access to my 50 GB raw rips of Super Mario Bros the Movie and Fire in the Sky the better

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
1993 was a good year for movies

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

idk what is going on but i guess i'll just have to use the fresco logic ports. it works fine on macos and linux on the same pc, it's just windows. turns out, truly, My OS is a Piece Of poo poo

i mean, i don't really care if it's 430 MBps or 200 MBps or whatever but at the very least i should be able to play Resident Evil Revelations 2 (2015, dir. Yasuhiro Ampo) without the fmv scene skipping and pausing every few seconds

have you tried other usb slots? i have had problems like this in the past with an older laptop where i wasn't using the good usb holes, i was using the bad ones. those speeds look fast though so maybe my guess is bad

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

have you tried other usb slots? i have had problems like this in the past with an older laptop where i wasn't using the good usb holes, i was using the bad ones. those speeds look fast though so maybe my guess is bad

yeah i tried every usb 3 port

the only ones that actually work ok are the ones on a PCIe fresco logic usb board. all the others, the mobo ones with an intel controller are the ones that are hosed.

the fresco logic ones seem to work fine but they're like 225-250 MB per sec, i dont really mind that because at least its consistant.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

probably a long shot, but did you try running the installer in compatibility mode ("troubleshoot compatibility" on the installer)? alternately, did you try extracting the inf's from the installer and pointing device manager at them to see if it could make sense of them? worth a try maybe

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

spankmeister posted:

Then I saw when the Lamb broke one of the seven seals, and I heard one of the four living creatures saying as with a voice of thunder, "netsh interface ipv4 set address name='Local Area Network Adapter 1' static 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1"

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

long story short I soldered a wire from pin 4 to pin 7 on the BIOS_A chip and the loving computer actually started!

woah. i would be way too scared to try something like this.

Edit 3: computer randomly turned off and won't turn on again. Definitely the motherboard. No clue if my pos psu fried it or what.

i think it did, and maybe other components too

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
so listen to this poo poo

i got the new motherboard, keep getting BSODs again!!!

so far i have replaced the PSU, motherboard, main OS hard drive, i tried a spare graphics card, and ran memtest on my memory.

i tried to install windows with the brand new ssd using the new motherboard, no graphics card installed (used the on-board one), and literally nothing plugged into the computer except the CPU, 1 stick of RAM, and a keyboard/mouse

i'm about to have a nervous breakdown. it absolutely has to be the CPU, right? the blue screens are all over the place. sometimes it's "IRQL_not_less_than_equal" or whatever, sometimes it's "MEMORY_MODULE", sometimes it's something about a dog?? i can't keep track of them. 10 different BSOD errors while trying to do anything. windows 10 install, trying to boot off my old HD, hell, even trying to get into safe mode gives me a BSOD

unless somehow this SECOND psu is also defective it has to be the CPU, correct? it's a 9700k, are they known for being defective or something? i've never heard of a CPU going bad especially if it wasn't overclocked. could it have worked fine for 6 months and then slowly decided to poo poo itself? there's literally no other hardware left that i haven't changed.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

woah. i would be way too scared to try something like this.

10+ years of RGB modding old video game systems and that was small potatoes in comparison

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

yeah, smells like a bad memory controller on the cpu. very uncommon but not unheard of. try putting the single dimm in a slot on the other channel to see if it makes a difference. but you're getting through a memtest clean without it throwing errors?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

a chip that's making GBS threads itself will poo poo itself no matter what os you're running. Got a linux cd?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yeah, smells like a bad memory controller on the cpu. very uncommon but not unheard of. try putting the single dimm in a slot on the other channel to see if it makes a difference. but you're getting through a memtest clean without it throwing errors?

yep i had memtest run overnight and it gave me 0 errors.

flakeloaf posted:

a chip that's making GBS threads itself will poo poo itself no matter what os you're running. Got a linux cd?

i do! however i must have been a horrible person in a past life because just now, i can't even get the new motherboard to post any longer. the motherboard is giving me a "CC" code on the LED which from what i can tell means it can't communicate with the CPU. the only thing i can think of is i took the cpu out (to get the serial number to see if intel would replace it under warranty) and i put it back in and that's when it started. i probably bent one of the 1,000+ plus pins on the CPU socket or something :smithicide:

edit: i actually just found an old text i sent to a friend, it said "i can't get windows to load unless i have game boost mode on in the BIOS" which was right after i installed the 9700k right after buying it. maybe that is some sort of insight into this thing being defective from the start? i probably wrongly assumed it was a motherboard quirk?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 7, 2020

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

CC is an unassigned code that could mean anything

edit: i actually just found an old text i sent to a friend, it said "i can't get windows to load unless i have game boost mode on in the BIOS" which was right after i installed the 9700k right after buying it. maybe that is some sort of insight into this thing being defective from the start? i probably wrongly assumed it was a motherboard quirk?

still got the old chip? did your board ship with a bios version that doesn't know what do with a 9700k?

e: also maybe it should be "i can't get windows to load unless i go into the bios and fiddle around a bit before starting the machine", which might be cooling or bad caps, but heat problems are really noisy and you've already replaced the board; since it doesn't say A-BIT on it, it's not likely you got two bad ones in a row

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 7, 2020

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
that bad psu slow-cooked everything in the case, including the CPU

(allegedly)

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
OP, you should get a UPS for your next PC so it doesn't get turbo-hosed by the weird electricity that lives in your walls

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

OP, you should get a UPS for your next PC so it doesn't get turbo-hosed by the weird electricity that lives in your balls

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

OP, you should get a UPS for your next PC so it doesn't get turbo-hosed by the weird electricity that lives in your walls

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sometimes it's something about a dog??

lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

still got the old chip? did your board ship with a bios version that doesn't know what do with a 9700k?

e: also maybe it should be "i can't get windows to load unless i go into the bios and fiddle around a bit before starting the machine", which might be cooling or bad caps, but heat problems are really noisy and you've already replaced the board; since it doesn't say A-BIT on it, it's not likely you got two bad ones in a row

Yeah i still have the old chip, intel is asking me five million questions about it before i find out if they will let me exchange it.

i dont think it was a bios issue because when i first got the motherboard it would post fine then i took the cpu out, read off the serial number, re-applied thermal paste and put it back in and then it never posted again lol

i probably put it in sloppily and bent a pin or something in a fit of rage over the whole thing

i actually have it plugged into this huge APC 1000 rackmount UPS that retails for like $500 that some local facebook dad's group gave me for free after i helped him fix his arcade machine

uh.....could that thing be frying it?

that bad psu slow-cooked everything in the case, including the CPU

(allegedly)

i checked the temp on the CPU back a few weeks ago when i could still boot into windows and it was extremely cool so i wonder if it could slow cook it while also not increasing the heat?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Yeah i still have the old chip, intel is asking me five million questions about it before i find out if they will let me exchange it.

i dont think it was a bios issue because when i first got the motherboard it would post fine then i took the cpu out, read off the serial number, re-applied thermal paste and put it back in and then it never posted again lol

i probably put it in sloppily and bent a pin or something in a fit of rage over the whole thing

i actually have it plugged into this huge APC 1000 rackmount UPS that retails for like $500 that some local facebook dad's group gave me for free after i helped him fix his arcade machine

uh.....could that thing be frying it?

i checked the temp on the CPU back a few weeks ago when i could still boot into windows and it was extremely cool so i wonder if it could slow cook it while also not increasing the heat?

OP, they are deploying 5G in your area which broke your computer and also gave you lots of foreign mind control diseases hth

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

idk, the situation is pretty puzzling, so its hard to rule anything out. are the neighbors firing up heavy equipment next door? maybe a particle accelerator?

is the CPU the only component you haven't swapped out yet?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bobbilljim posted:

OP, they are deploying 5G in your area which broke your computer and also gave you lots of foreign mind control diseases hth

the joke's on them, Chumbawumba4ever97 doesn't have a mind to control!! :xd:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

is the CPU the only component you haven't swapped out yet?

Yep

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

Are all the pins straight? If yes, can you control voltage to the CPU? If yes, does raising it (slightly, like another .05, maybe .1 volts) help things? If yes, your CPU was defective or damaged. I had a defective Athon XP years ago and it was only stable if I overvolted it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

cybrancyborg posted:

Are all the pins straight?

thanks for the reply!

all the pins LOOK straight, except one is alerting my OCD senses a bit; it looks a little off from the rest. i tried moving it a bit with an exacto knife but it didn't make a difference; this mobo no longer posts.

cybrancyborg posted:

If yes, can you control voltage to the CPU? If yes, does raising it (slightly, like another .05, maybe .1 volts) help things? If yes, your CPU was defective or damaged. I had a defective Athon XP years ago and it was only stable if I overvolted it.

i had mentioned a few posts back that i found an old text i sent a friend back when i first got this CPU, and the only way i could get windows to boot without crashing was to enable "game boost mode" on the MSI mobo i had at the time (i returned the motherboard a few days later assuming it was defective). looking into it, it looks like "game boost mode" overclocks it by like 400 mhz or something paltry like that. so i am guessing that mode increased the voltage a little bit, and did exactly what you said.

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

thanks for the reply!

all the pins LOOK straight, except one is alerting my OCD senses a bit; it looks a little off from the rest. i tried moving it a bit with an exacto knife but it didn't make a difference; this mobo no longer posts.

i had mentioned a few posts back that i found an old text i sent a friend back when i first got this CPU, and the only way i could get windows to boot without crashing was to enable "game boost mode" on the MSI mobo i had at the time (i returned the motherboard a few days later assuming it was defective). looking into it, it looks like "game boost mode" overclocks it by like 400 mhz or something paltry like that. so i am guessing that mode increased the voltage a little bit, and did exactly what you said.

I just noticed you said it was a K model. If you have a board that can get into the BIOS setup, you could also try lowering the multiplier a LOT (like, maybe half?) and see if that helps. If that or the overvolting does help, I'd RMA the CPU.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Technically anything up to 1.4v is within spec. It will run hotter, but if that's what it takes then who cares. 1.4v usually can get those chips stable at 4.2-4.5ghz

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Computers is rocks with lightning inside.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

Computers is rocks with lightning inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Literally my only experience with the FFs was via Noah Antwiler's reviews of them.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

cybrancyborg posted:

I just noticed you said it was a K model. If you have a board that can get into the BIOS setup, you could also try lowering the multiplier a LOT (like, maybe half?) and see if that helps. If that or the overvolting does help, I'd RMA the CPU.

thanks

stupid question though, shouldn't the CPU be working fine with the default settings on these 4 different motherboards i've now tried? my last cpu was an i7 930 from like a decade ago; do you have to fudge with voltages and stuff these days? (i realize you are only telling me to do this to test the CPU but i don't wanna fry the replacement if Intel hopefully doesnt screw me on replacing it)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
lol intel is trying to gently caress me out of the replacement

they asked me like fifteen questions like "did you try another graphics card, did you try XMP in the BIOS, did you try different cooling solutions" and i replied and they just sent me this:

quote:

I hope you are doing well today. I just want to let you know that the XMP void the warranty of the CPU since it harms the memory controller within the CPU.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

send that reply to amd and ask them for a break on your next chip in exchange for some taunting

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i replied that "I only tried XMP because your message to me asked me if I tried it, seemingly suggesting it was a troubleshooting technique you wanted me to try. Also, I was having issues before ever enabling XMP" which is true

i'm pretty sure they're going to tell me to go gently caress myself

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"your csr's poor english inspired me to do something stupid" might just be the ticket to a new cpu

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol intel is trying to gently caress me out of the replacement

they asked me like fifteen questions like "did you try another graphics card, did you try XMP in the BIOS, did you try different cooling solutions" and i replied and they just sent me this:

holy gently caress

Does Use of Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) Void the CPU Warranty?
Enabling and use of Intel® XMP is a type of overclocking1, and will ultimately void the CPU warranty.

HAHAHAHAHA that means like every single gamer rig out there voided their warranty. what a loving grift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
holy poo poo don't they advertise that poo poo hard?

lmfao