Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

gently caress these shells i'm pissing in the corner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Demolition Man still looks really good today for a movie made in 1993 and they had a pretty realistic version of how technology would actually look in 2032 and were dead on about a few of their predictions. No contact greetings, Zoom meetings, etc

Most movies of that era had predicted poo poo like flying cars, teleportation and all that by the 2030s. The most we'll probably have by then is ugly Tesla Cybertrucks

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Demolition Man still looks really good today for a movie made in 1993 and they had a pretty realistic version of how technology would actually look in 2032 and were dead on about a few of their predictions. No contact greetings, Zoom meetings, etc

Most movies of that era had predicted poo poo like flying cars, teleportation and all that by the 2030s. The most we'll probably have by then is ugly Tesla Cybertrucks

They also predicted toilet shells so let’s not go crazy here

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

They also predicted toilet shells so let’s not go crazy here

What if it's a bidet and you use the shells to smooth off excess water

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I mean a lot of the tech is still out there (Walls with anti graffiti lasers, cryo freezing prisoners and uploading skills into them before they're thawed) but for the most part for being made 30 years ago they held back quite a bit and were way closer than most would have been unless those things become reality ten years from now somehow.

I mean Elon Musk is already working on a chip you put into your brain to stop seizures, erase bad memories and multiple other things when he's not too busy shitposting on twitter.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I don't want a sequel I want a movie about the Franchise Wars.

EVERY RESTAURANT IS TACO BELL

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah that's why I kinda concerned nearly all our SciFi output these days is dystopian capitalist hell holes.

I don't want that.

I want more poo poo like the Jetsons.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ughhh my external hard drive died with all my steam games on it. Sucks

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I mean Elon Musk is already working on a chip you put into your brain to stop seizures, erase bad memories and multiple other things when he's not too busy shitposting on twitter.
the only time elon will get a chip into people’s brain is shrapnel from when his terrible car blows up

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Shard posted:

Ughhh my external hard drive died with all my steam games on it. Sucks

I accidentally wiped a drive when I upgraded recently and steam still had all my saves and stuff via the cloud. Hopefully it’s the same for you? Downloading all the poo poo is still a drag though.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

the only time elon will get a chip into people’s brain is shrapnel from when his terrible car blows up

He was on Rogan recently talking about it and he threw out a bunch of "could" statements but didn't really seem to know how they'd go about it

Wouldn't want to be a test subject for that poo poo

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

elon smokes a blunt then drives a pc motherboard into a random hired goons head

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hahahhaha

This has been the best day of This Hell Year 2020

I hope you have a good day too.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/raysipe/status/1091435950016737280?lang=en

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mr. Carlisle posted:

He was on Rogan recently talking about it and he threw out a bunch of "could" statements but didn't really seem to know how they'd go about it

Wouldn't want to be a test subject for that poo poo

going by the numerous security problems with his loving car OS, yeah not happening. I went to one of their stores, looked over the vehicles. Nearly everything in the menu on the screen was marked beta. And they have so much plastic cowling over poo poo I'm almost convinced the mechanics are cheap as gently caress parts barely rated for automotive use.

I've been around automotive manufacturing almost all my life and it blows my mind what a fuckin smokejob those Tesla cars are. They're deathtraps.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress Jump Scares, they're so incredibly goddamn lazy.

Hard agree

Mr. Carlisle posted:

What's the worst movie you've all seen?

The Beast of Yucca Flats by a country mile, even the MST3K version is a hard watch

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

https://twitter.com/ericisajoke/status/1258529219702747137

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Jerusalem posted:

The only jump scare I will defend is the one in Mulholland Drive

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Jump scare is a neutral filmmaking tool, it's neither good nor bad. It's all about the execution.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

The one in Hill House was so good. You know the one.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

NienNunb posted:

Jump scare is a neutral filmmaking tool, it's neither good nor bad. It's all about the execution.

Nah it's bad.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

coconono posted:

going by the numerous security problems with his loving car OS, yeah not happening. I went to one of their stores, looked over the vehicles. Nearly everything in the menu on the screen was marked beta. And they have so much plastic cowling over poo poo I'm almost convinced the mechanics are cheap as gently caress parts barely rated for automotive use.

I've been around automotive manufacturing almost all my life and it blows my mind what a fuckin smokejob those Tesla cars are. They're deathtraps.

The power of marketing I guess

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Brut posted:

Nah it's bad.

I'm very sorry something spooked you

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

NienNunb posted:

I'm very sorry something spooked you

Thanks I appreciate that. :glomp:

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I think the one in Insidious is really good, something about the sunny day time scenery makes it even more shocking., same with Mullholland Drive's

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I don't like jump scares, I prefer a scream dunk or flayup

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Really twisted faces always gently caress me up for some reason

I think I mentioned it before but that scene from the ring with the gnarly face jump scare out of nowhere was just disrespectful to my brain

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Really twisted faces always gently caress me up for some reason

I think I mentioned it before but that scene from the ring with the gnarly face jump scare out of nowhere was just disrespectful to my brain

I still think the Ring is the scariest movie i've ever seen, and the scariest of the entire series (including the book). I have never been so unsettled by a film, the horrendous tape with the writhing insect people and the mirror, and definitely the horrible twisted face.

I love Naomi Watts and she takes the movie from pretty good to great, just a phenomenal actor

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

There was another set of twisted hosed up faces - I want to say it was the Exorcism of Emily Rose? I could be wrong. But yeah, that movie got me too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I guess technically speaking it's a jump scare, but it's so much more than that and I'd hesitate to lump it in with all the other screeching music BOO! crap that dominates so many other horror films.

Though this did remind me of this scene from Community :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxauTJpY-hg

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Jerusalem posted:

I guess technically speaking it's a jump scare, but it's so much more than that and I'd hesitate to lump it in with all the other screeching music BOO! crap that dominates so many other horror films.

Though this did remind me of this scene from Community :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxauTJpY-hg

Yeah, it's not just the surprise popping out of nowhere, it's the tension of the preceding five minutes of the movie dramatically snapping as it's modulated the tension level up and down in those five minutes. The part when they're talking in the diner brings the tension up and they pay and leave, but then it cuts to the outside and it starts ratcheting the tension back up as they come around the corner and start walking to the dumpster. It's masterful filmmaking.

I had the pleasure of seeing Mulholland Drive in a theater maybe a year or so again and it was fantastic.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bluedeanie posted:

The one in Hill House was so good. You know the one.

gently caress yes. To me that's the definition of an "earned" jump scare.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The one in the Exorcist is really good. When the candle gets hit by a backdraft while the mom is in the attic. It's sudden but makes sense and they don't treat it like it's the real horror.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

when something is very scary, my trick is to start yelling at it. And make fun of it loud. try screaming things like, "get the gently caress out of here, dumb rear end! you're stupid!" at the top of your lungs the next time you get "jump scared"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My favorite type of scares is when some scary poo poo is in the background that you're not even sure if you saw. Pt was pretty good at that

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Shard posted:

My favorite type of scares is when some scary poo poo is in the background that you're not even sure if you saw. Pt was pretty good at that

Did you ever watch Marble Hornets? The first season did a lot of that very well. I’m not sure how it holds up after the whole slender man thing kind of entered the greater cultural zeitgeist, but at the time it was very compelling.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cavauro posted:

when something is very scary, my trick is to start yelling at it. And make fun of it loud. try screaming things like, "get the gently caress out of here, dumb rear end! you're stupid!" at the top of your lungs the next time you get "jump scared"

I will try this the next time a horribly distorted face tries to invade my eyes with no social distancing

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Shard posted:

I don't know if you've seen them but there have been some videos released recently where people broke the camera from it's fixed state and found out that the creepy ghost is literally right behind you almost the entire time which makes it even more freaky. There was some crazy poo poo happening in that demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I don't know if you've seen them but there have been some videos released recently where people broke the camera from it's fixed state and found out that the creepy ghost is literally right behind you almost the entire time which makes it even more freaky. There was some crazy poo poo happening in that demo

Yeah that was the best. It makes sense on a technical level and it's creepy