Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
You want a pressure cooker. Does the same as a slow cooker in about 30 mins. Tasty tender and doesn't take all fuckin day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

baka kaba posted:

they cook slowly op

but yeah the pot gets heated so make sure you have liquid in there to let the heat travel through the food, and you put the stuff that takes a while to cook on the bottom (like potatoes). Then you put it on and it heats at a low temp and it's done when everything is that temp (which takes a while because it's low temp!) If there's a high setting it just cooks hotter so it's done faster

I put in some chicken thighs and legs that I had browned beforehand. I hope they cook all the way through by the time 22.30 rolls around!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They should be as long as it's set hot enough to cook chicken. But the big benefit is you can do that in the morning and leave it there all day if you want and you just get really tender chicken.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

If it was a bulb it wouldn't heat the sides and also it wouldn't be very efficient. Also it would have to get crazy hot. Slow cookers do get very hot still, they just don't need to always be that hot.
Incandescent bulbs are very efficient at heating, it's everything else that they're terrible at. A thermostat and a 40W bulb is a pretty common way of keeping something at an elevated but low temperature, like egg incubators, culturing bacteria/yeast, and so on, and the famous Easy-Bake oven used a pair of lightbulbs.

You're right about slow cookers though, they're a standard element like what's in an iron.

Sloth Life posted:

You want a pressure cooker. Does the same as a slow cooker in about 30 mins. Tasty tender and doesn't take all fuckin day
The 7-in-1 Instant Pot can be a pressure cooker, a slow cooker, a yogurt maker, and presumably 4 other things.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Josef bugman posted:

I put in some chicken thighs and legs that I had browned beforehand. I hope they cook all the way through by the time 22.30 rolls around!

A probe thermometer is a good thing to have, just so you can check stuff has hit its safe temperature or whatever you want, but generally slow cookers take about 4hrs on high and 8hrs on low to come to bring everything up to temperature (check your manual!) - if you want to be sure and you've only just put it on, you can go for High and that should be fine!

Cut into the thighs near the bone (if they have them) and check how done it looks, that's what I'd do if I wasn't sure

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

A lot of my family work for the NHS, although only my Mum is working directly with covid patients. She's broke down while talking to me about it a few times and there's a certain kind of gut-wrenching when your own parent is so distressed and you can't do anything to help them. It's all so, so poo poo. There isn't enough PPE, and some of the staff have resorted to sewing their own scrubs. Nurses younger than my Mum have died (she's in her late fifties) and the hospital have told all staff that they are not social distancing enough, essentially blaming staff for their own covid infections. None of my Mum's colleagues have been tested either, even those who have recently come back from a period of self-isolation after having symptoms.

Some nurses are also working on covid positive wards one day, having a day off work and then working on a covid negative ward the next day. This seems wild to me, surely it would be better to try and keep staff working on positive and negative wards separately? I'll admit I don't know much about hospital staffing though. But I just cannot understand how, if NHS staff are 'heroes', people are just happy to clap at 8pm every Thursday and deem any person who speaks out about the working conditions as 'bringing politics into everything' or 'ungrateful'. Well, I guess I can, because 'heroes' aren't people, they're just cannon fodder.

Will my Mum die from covid? Probably not. But her, and so many other NHS staff will be physically and mentally affected by this shitshow of an experience. The Conservatives have been metaphorically killing the NHS for years, now they're doing it literally. I feel so utterly powerless, which I think is why I'm writing it all out. I just can't see how can we hold them to account? How can anything change, when every newspaper and news show is talking about VE day, hiding statistics and avoiding how terrible the UK's response to this is?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I don't have a probe thermometer at the moment, but I popped it in about 2 hours ago and will leave another 3 or so hours on high.

Thanks folks. I wanted to try and make sure I tried something different since I am still on furlough for a while.

I am so sorry to hear this NMT. That sounds dreadful.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 8, 2020

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Some oval office behind my street is letting off fireworks in broad daylight for VE day

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

Some oval office behind my street is letting off fireworks in broad daylight for VE day

Sounds like you're not getting into the right spirit, citizen

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sloth Life posted:

I mean, do you have somewhere to be? :shobon:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I just drank a flensburger to celebrate

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

The 7-in-1 Instant Pot can be a pressure cooker, a slow cooker, a yogurt maker, and presumably 4 other things.

It's great, that plus an Aifryer does 80% of the kitchen work for me

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

justcola posted:

I'm not sure who they'll spin it against though as there's no class of people to blame in particular or weaker group to bully - it'll just be 'the nation brought it on itself' or some nonsense and by being lead to think we're complicit nothing will come of it. (I'm sure the media will find a marginalised group to blame though)

they won't blame anyone per se they'll just stop giving it that much attention, as they did with brexit and labour antisemitism.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

History Comes Inside! posted:

See also all day New Year's Eve from around noon over here, aka magic fireworks are legal day. Not sure what fun it is, might as well throw coins in the river.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

At no point have I heard anyone in my street clapping for the NHS. East London doesn't give a poo poo about performative bullshit apparently.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
North west London claps furiously and bangs on pots for the NHS but does not give a single gently caress about VE day.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

No More Toast posted:

But I just cannot understand how, if NHS staff are 'heroes', people are just happy to clap at 8pm every Thursday and deem any person who speaks out about the working conditions as 'bringing politics into everything' or 'ungrateful'. Well, I guess I can, because 'heroes' aren't people, they're just cannon fodder.

It's sort of a just world thing - people want to believe that the government are doing their best, NHS workers are getting what they need, and everyone else's job is to wave a flag and cheer them on until it's over. It's a comfortable narrative that doesn't require any introspection or questions, and any cognitive dissonance around the whole thing can be pushed down by throwing yourself into the Two Minutes Heart

or by attacking anyone who threatens that protective bubble by asking questions, suggesting the NHS isn't getting what they need, that they're being let down and the clapping is just about people making themselves feel better, to neutralise any criticism or anger at the government

it's not an easy thing to break through, because it's specifically there to dull people's awareness and give them an outlet for their emotions, putting it into something positive. That's hard to challenge. I think the clapping thing needs to be tied into actual support and criticism, so people identify with the idea of actually fighting for the NHS while they work to protect us, and the clapping is a rallying cry and a way of directing energy into activism instead of slacktivism. Like, in general, when people are out in the street banging pots it's not historically been because they're going "yaaaay everything's cool"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Most of the people who are doing it now have never done it before and the reason they're doing it now is because what is happening is recuperation.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

What did I miss, one of my neighbours just went outside, sang "We'll meet again" clapped 3 times and then went inside again? They seemed rather embarassed about the whole thing.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
I missed it, Did the Queen whapp! them out for the lads?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

WE'LL 👏 MEET 👏 AGAIN 👏

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
So what's this VE day all about, is it just an English thing?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

learnincurve posted:

He who is never named randomly showing up on my twitter feed as some sort of sealioning chaser is some god drat 2020 energy.

Apparently this thread owes me a PlayStation because I’m poor or something.

Late reply to this, but Pissflaps, assuming that's who you mean, is probably talking about the Solidarity Fund - see the OP for details. And yes if you are experiencing a shortfall of funds we will buy you a PlayStation, or more likely some groceries, just hit us up. We actually prefer to buy stuff for people rather than give cash, which has the added benefit of probably not messing up their precariously stacked network of variously-means-tested benefit claims.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In theory it is the cessation of hostilities in europe during the second world war but in practice yes it's terrible brits.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I bumped into remained at a respectful 3m distance from the chair of our local Labour party on my state approved walk today.

Apparently putting up all the allied flags was his idea because "if you're making VE day about insular nationalism then you're missing the point."

Which is good and fair, and it's fun to see USSR flags out in the wild, but I think a few of those historically accurate flegs are straight up white supremacist symbols now, and someone should remind Michael Fabricant.

I suppose taken as a whole collection they mean 'we fought fascism' rather than 'and then we tried it', and I think they had that debate already because the little paper flegs for the bad ones are deliberately non-prominent.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

englandpandemic.jpeg

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

I'd like to say that's a problem isolated to mainland Portsmouth, but dickheads on my part of island Portsmouth were out and chatting for a part of the afternoon so this city is cursed

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

I had to double take to make sure that wasn't Chris Morris.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I only realised today I was always told it was 'Victory over Europe' Day so there you go.

My pal who works in a hospital has been telling me some awful stuff, wish I hadn't heard some of it really. Are there support groups for people who work in the NHS I can point him toward?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there an accurate breakdown of corona-virus deaths per country in the UK? With there possibly being different approaches i'm just curious if England by itself has gone past Italy.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Maugrim posted:

Late reply to this, but Pissflaps, assuming that's who you mean, is probably talking about the Solidarity Fund - see the OP for details. And yes if you are experiencing a shortfall of funds we will buy you a PlayStation, or more likely some groceries, just hit us up. We actually prefer to buy stuff for people rather than give cash, which has the added benefit of probably not messing up their precariously stacked network of variously-means-tested benefit claims.

I’m ok but thank you, 🙂 one of the few times where already being on long term benefits is going to leave me less hosed than most people in this thread in the landlord and sudden lack of income department.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Anyone else see the big countdown at the top of the page?

Also chicken turned out very nicely. Literally falls off the bone and is extremely nice tasting!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kin posted:

Is there an accurate breakdown of corona-virus deaths per country in the UK? With there possibly being different approaches i'm just curious if England by itself has gone past Italy.

Wales is officially 1,090.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Been non stop operatic national pride style music playing from some street party for the last 2 hours. Just cut off now at exactly 10pm thank christ as it was really starting to grate. The gently caress is wrong with people? We're in a Labour stronghold in a mining/steel town and they all still buy massively into the poo poo Tory VE day propaganda.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is a reason nationalism is a favourite tool of the right and that's because it works on people.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

New series of Benefits Street looks weird.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Mebh posted:

Been non stop operatic national pride style music playing from some street party for the last 2 hours. Just cut off now at exactly 10pm thank christ as it was really starting to grate. The gently caress is wrong with people? We're in a Labour stronghold in a mining/steel town and they all still buy massively into the poo poo Tory VE day propaganda.

Honestly, I reckon people just need to let off steam in some way. They feel like this is socially acceptable.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
stories from america

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1257476755574718470

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1257477043970887682

https://twitter.com/bencasselman/status/1258136404363808769

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

vox pop: haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

e- glad you had victory in chicken Josef!