Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Clouds isn't particularly great as a stand-alone module to be honest. It has a lot of inputs beyond the audio that want to be tickled and modulated, and for that you need more modules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m already thinking about replacing my pedals with a euro rack skiff it just seems so much easier lol

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Ortazel posted:

It's pretty cool but honestly it's not that big of a progression from Brains + 2x Pressure Points. It has a clock built in which is the most annoying weak point with Brains, and the Time row is interesting, but I'm curious if that then becomes quantized to the nearest 8th/16th note if you use an external clock? The variable strength gate is interesting but they said in the video that there's not much stuff out there that uses one (and you could just do the same thing with a VCA and a channel on Pressure Points).

It definitely has more features rolled in, but ultimately seems less flexible than the old version since I don't think you're free to patch the time/strength channels out to whatever other mod source you want :shrug:

theres outputs on the top for pitch / strength / time. the front panel design doesnt make it obvious but you can tap out form those to whatever you want just like a brains + pressure points combo

unrelated i picked up a 01/IV drum machine the other day and while i had misgivings about the i/o on it (minijack midi ports, no analog trigger ins and fairly limited midi CC capabilities) it sounds phenomenal and is probably the best looking piece of music equipment i own. it really hits that simmons sds / perl syncussion sound while having a lot of its own particular character

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

magiccarpet posted:

It's like a baby Analog Solutions Generator

it’s fairly different from the generator outside of three rows of cv knobs, but that just means having both won’t be a problem

it does seem to pair with the 0-coast perfectly and that combo would make a fun as hell thing to take on trips provided there is a decent portable power supply... and we’re not all dead from corona

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Mr. Sharps posted:

unrelated i picked up a 01/IV drum machine the other day and while i had misgivings about the i/o on it (minijack midi ports, no analog trigger ins and fairly limited midi CC capabilities) it sounds phenomenal and is probably the best looking piece of music equipment i own. it really hits that simmons sds / perl syncussion sound while having a lot of its own particular character

Hrnnnng I'm trying to save money but I'm being tempted by all this dummy thicc synthetic percussion. I need to stop youtubing things people are talking about, this thread is absolutely obliterating my balls with gas lately. The syncussion is one of my top most wanted unobtainable instruments but this is actually a reasonable price and doesn't require diy stuff.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Empire State posted:

I have a Minilogue hooked up to my audio interface. If I were to get a Mutable Instruments Clouds module and a little powered rack, plus a few patch cables, would that be enough gear to run my synth through the module? Is there any other module that's absolutely necessary? I want to get into Eurorack, I know an effects thingy is probably a weird place to start, but I already have a fun synth and limited funds.

Everything that has been said already. The main appeal of eurorack is modulation that you can route how you want. Without this Eurorack modules are less attractive than desktop or virtual counterparts.

Effects in particular are noticeably better in the guitar pedal world than in Euro so usually you want to integrate them with Eurorack.

Not trying to deter you from Euro but starting with an effect alone is not a wise decision if money is a factor. Probability better to start with a semi modular and some modulation and CV manipulation in the rack.

There are tons of excellent effects outside of the rack already. And if you really want one start with a more varied one like FX aid. Better bang for buck. Clouds is almost a one trick pony.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m already thinking about replacing my pedals with a euro rack skiff it just seems so much easier lol

Pittsburgh has a case built specifically for that purpose with footswitches and everything.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Semi-comedy answer: iPad loaded up with effects AUs, connected to the effects out/in of a mixer/interface

Or an old laptop loaded up with AU/VSTs I guess

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.

So Math posted:

There's some care necessary because eurorack uses a much higher voltage than line level audio. You'll want an audio input/output module to convert between the devices.

Edit: Here's one solution: https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/ai006-kit/

Thank you for this! I missed it while searching around.

ricecult posted:

That's just the angel on my shoulder btw, who is totally lame.

Thanks for the perspective. I spent the last couple weeks looking at standalone and semi-modular synths, but couldn't find anything that sounded quite right to me. I wasn't crazy about the synths I've found for <$400. I figure I'm an idiot, so eurorack is inevitable and I may as well try to get something that will play nice with what I already have and get the rest piecemeal.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Everything that has been said already. The main appeal of eurorack is modulation that you can route how you want. Without this Eurorack modules are less attractive than desktop or virtual counterparts.

Effects in particular are noticeably better in the guitar pedal world than in Euro so usually you want to integrate them with Eurorack.

Not trying to deter you from Euro but starting with an effect alone is not a wise decision if money is a factor. Probability better to start with a semi modular and some modulation and CV manipulation in the rack.

There are tons of excellent effects outside of the rack already. And if you really want one start with a more varied one like FX aid. Better bang for buck. Clouds is almost a one trick pony.

Thanks for the direction. I wouldn't have thought pedals would be better for effects.

Honestly I think the big appeal of Clouds for me is that it looks like a playable Paulstretch machine. But it looks like it's not the most practical entry point.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Pulled the Jasper out of storage after about a year and a half, child's old enough and literate enough to start doing some subtractive synthesis. Was getting ready to panic because it did not seem to be working. Relived as further testing revealed that only the internal speaker is not working.

https://www.jaspersynth.co.uk/

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Empire State posted:

Thanks for the direction. I wouldn't have thought pedals would be better for effects.

I don't know the extent of the pedal market but it feels like there is at least 10 times more FX pedals than FX modules. It's not as simple as pedals are better, but they usually sound better. FX modules are interesting if you modulate them, but then you need modulation sources while many pedals will integrate them already. There's a reason a lot of (modular) synths users are also using stuff from Strymon or other pedal brands; it's because these brands are focused entirely on effects while Euro brands cover a wider range of functions, so FX pedals brands are usually very good at what they do. Of course there are always exceptions to this, but in general, end of line effects is one of the last things you want to put in your rack.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 7, 2020

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Empire State posted:

Thanks for the perspective. I spent the last couple weeks looking at standalone and semi-modular synths, but couldn't find anything that sounded quite right to me. I wasn't crazy about the synths I've found for <$400. I figure I'm an idiot, so eurorack is inevitable and I may as well try to get something that will play nice with what I already have and get the rest piecemeal.

Thinking about it, if you're really interested in getting into modular, the Koma Field Kit FX is a cool module because it can be racked but works standalone, multiple effects, a VCA, and is quite flexible. It's kind of lo-fi in nature, but can really do a lot and is not a bad first buy to expand around.
Also the more I think about it, the more I have to recommend an Organelle for you. It's basically like digital modular and jack of all trades. Most things it does there's something else that does it better, but overall very good, definitely great bang for your buck.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Remember that for modular, $2000 is a small to moderate system.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Happy Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iSfhPSAcg8

e; Oh god I'm really starting to regret putting money into savings and paying off stuff because I think I finally have a list of poo poo I am ready to pull the trigger on and most of it can be seen in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEgllJAQ5A8

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 8, 2020

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Went over to a buddies today and got to plug a sequence I've been working on in the MPC into his eurorack. Now I'm back home faffing about in controller mode into VCV Rack. What are some cool and good VCV modules?
Edit: Better question: what are some good resources on how synthesis actually works? I'm mucking about with the default patch, but I'm not sure I get what everything is doing.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 8, 2020

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Synth Secrets has been one of the thread's favorites in the past. https://www.soundonsound.com/series/synth-secrets

It's written generically enough to apply to most subtractive synthesizers, with lots of block diagrams talking about idealized circuits which make up a commercial synthesizer. Fortunately, that is exactly what you've got in VCV -- idealized versions of oscillators, filters, op amps, and the rest.

I would highly recommend rebuilding the block diagrams in VCV with the scope module so you can listen to what's being described and see it, too.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

The Voice of Labor posted:

:retrogames: Love to spend used car money emulating subtractive monosynths that are, now, as common as the fallen leaf.

Nah, these days you can get a poo poo ton for the money. Ericas pico system with the preset cards is like $500, that’s pretty crazy. I’d suggest it to anybody interested in cash bonfiresmodular.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

oscillator go brrrrr

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Startyde posted:

Ericas pico system with the preset cards is like $500, that’s pretty crazy. I’d suggest it to anybody interested in cash bonfiresmodular.

See, that kind of stuff looks amazingly cool, but then my brain runs into "It'll be a week before you figure out how to make a single sound with it. Idiot." Prefrontal cortex: working as required.

In better news, my Hydrasynth module arrives today :getin:

And a question out of curiosity, which DAWs are you guys using? I'm pretty solid with Reaper, but I'm doing trial of Ableton and it just seems to click for me. I'm also gonna do a Cubase trial assuming there's an end to the endless download/register/activate cycle, poo poo.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 8, 2020

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think VCV Rack had a tutorial that explained all the basic modules and how they work and why they are generally needed.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

a mysterious cloak posted:

See, that kind of stuff looks amazingly cool, but then my brain runs into "It'll be a week before you figure out how to make a single sound with it. Idiot." Prefrontal cortex: working as required.

In better news, my Hydrasynth module arrives today

this kind of mindset is so intriguing to my poor person brain

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Any of you record and do most of your stuff dawless? What’s your setup and workflow like?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Clavavisage posted:

this kind of mindset is so intriguing to my poor person brain

I'm really only getting the Hydra because:

a.) I'm selling my Minilogue XD, and
b.) I'm a nurse and effectively my income right now is only limited by the amount of hours I can physically stay conscious and functional.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I stick to cubase cause I’m old. I did just install Luna and have been giving that a whirl, the elastic audio is very good but it’s missing a lot of QoL stuff especially for MIDI. Although—

Kilometers Davis posted:

Any of you record and do most of your stuff dawless? What’s your setup and workflow like?

I mostly record to a tascam PDR, portastudio or sampler, then do comps/mix/“”mastering”” in the DAW. I do this because I hate dealing with computers since I touch them professionally. If I had the money/creative output to justify it I’d probably just buy a RADAR.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I'm really only getting the Hydra because:

a.) I'm selling my Minilogue XD, and
b.) I'm a nurse and effectively my income right now is only limited by the amount of hours I can physically stay conscious and functional.

Holy poo poo, I would absolutely destroy my health, but I’d have the most bitchin studio at the end of it

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

That's the exact reason that got me into modular in the first place. Making music is just the excuse. Learning new stuff, exploring a system/language is where I get all the fun.

And while I tired of my volcas after a few months, the modular rabbit hole is so deep, and the possibilities so infinite, that it quickly became my new favorite hobby.

I believe it probably appeals more to some people than others BECAUSE there is a learning curve, and learning can be fun.

But I fully realize it's a bourgeois hobby. It's my midlife crisis, some buy a motorcycle, I buy modules.

e:

Kilometers Davis posted:

I started playing with Ableton, midi sequencing and volcas 3 years ago but since it didn't really click with me I'm now exclusively playing with eurorack (even the mixers and compression), doing live noodling and jamming with friends and eventually recording the output in audacity when I like it.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 8, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Anyone here interested in making some music for a jam game that is something like sc2k / RCT meets power generation? Low pressure, we can always use free music if needed. Could be 1 or more pieces of music, we aren't going to be picky.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I'm in, but only if you're calling the game Kraftwerk.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

tbh that absolutely seems like it would be a hit with the team, plus with schneider's death it's appropriate

If anyone is interested click here:
https://discord.gg/Xxxfqu

More people = more better imo, we can always have more tracks and there is no team size limit :shrug:

taqueso fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 8, 2020

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm in.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

The Voice of Labor posted:

lol

looking at my modular grid all the modules in my ep270 plus my generator sequencer retails for $8500

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Gringostar posted:

lol

looking at my modular grid all the modules in my ep270 plus my generator sequencer retails for $8500

$13000 without the Meris pedals and SE-02 :smuggo:

I bet Colin Benders could buy a small house with all his modules.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I just got the cheapest, base level 7th gen iPad, and have been playing around in Garageband. I found out that the camera kit adapter I have will work with a usb midi keyboard, so have been looking at options. There are SO many, it's kind of overwhelming.

I was considering going with this thing for $35 just to test the waters: https://www.amazon.com/midiplus-32-Key-Midi-Controller-AKM320/dp/B00VHKMK64/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=midi+keyboard&qid=1588962037&sr=8-2 .

But maybe there are other options out there that are better for similar money? I'd rather have something with fewer features that just works when plugged in than something I need to provide external power to. It might be nice to have more keys (48?) but I also don't know if i'll really need that many. I also don't think I really care about drum pads, just some keys, octave keys and maybe pitch/mod wheels should do me just fine. Any recommendations?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

$13000 without the Meris pedals and SE-02 :smuggo:

I bet Colin Benders could buy a small house with all his modules.

how big is your case though?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

frogbs posted:

So I just got the cheapest, base level 7th gen iPad, and have been playing around in Garageband. I found out that the camera kit adapter I have will work with a usb midi keyboard, so have been looking at options. There are SO many, it's kind of overwhelming.

I was considering going with this thing for $35 just to test the waters: https://www.amazon.com/midiplus-32-Key-Midi-Controller-AKM320/dp/B00VHKMK64/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=midi+keyboard&qid=1588962037&sr=8-2 .

But maybe there are other options out there that are better for similar money? I'd rather have something with fewer features that just works when plugged in than something I need to provide external power to. It might be nice to have more keys (48?) but I also don't know if i'll really need that many. I also don't think I really care about drum pads, just some keys, octave keys and maybe pitch/mod wheels should do me just fine. Any recommendations?

You have so many options. I like my radium 49, which can be run off usb power or batteries. I love my yamaha cbxk1 which I've been using for close to 2 decades and which can run forever off of a few aa batteries. The radium was 30 or 40 bucks a year or two ago basically new in box.

Figure out how many keys you want, how big you want them to be and go from there.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Does the Deluge count as a DAW? Because that's what I use. My Deluge controls the external synths (Peak, TD-3) via MIDI, which are routed through a mixer back into the Deluge. When it comes time to do final mixing, I record each track on the Deluge separately using its internal recording feature. This kind of sucks because I have to play back the whole track for each instrument separately. There might be a better way to do it. Then I pull all those tracks onto my PC and do final mastering (EQ, compression, etc) with Audacity because I'm too lazy/cheap/Linux-using to learn something else. All the arrangement and effects and such happens on the Deluge; it's basically a hardware DAW.

Startyde posted:

I do this because I hate dealing with computers since I touch them professionally.

Amen.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Kilometers Davis posted:

i have an octatrack sending midi to an analog four, a digitone and occasionally my medium sized modular case (and also my brand new drum synth that im still figuring out so that hasnt shown up in any finished tracks yet), sound from all of those routed into either my sound card or the octatrack to use as a sort of dynamic mixer which then goes into the sound card. i use a DAW to mix the final recording and sometimes to make samples to load into the OT. the role that each bit of kit plays depends on what i feel like doing. im limited to 8 midi tracks and the arrangement capabilities on the OT which is restrictive but fun to work with. id love to have a go with something like a cirklon but the waitlist is a year + and used ones go for over double retail in my neck of the woods, so nah.

my desk as it is now looks and sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXktH6D68m8

i used to be a lot more hands on with mutes and scene changes but these days i like to just press play and get a drink while the song does its own thing. still fun to sling that crossfader around but i find it a lot less stressful when the machines do all the work.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Holy poo poo, I would absolutely destroy my health, but I’d have the most bitchin studio at the end of it

I don't recommend that... I worked like crazy from early March until about 2 weeks ago when I started having crippling headaches - all the tension built up to the point that that my occipital nerves were getting smashed. Had to have a CT the first time it happened because we thought it might be a bleed in my head. I'm doing PT now and it's getting better.

But otherwise, yay money and the Hydrasynth is sick :unsmigghh:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Went over to a buddies today and got to plug a sequence I've been working on in the MPC into his eurorack. Now I'm back home faffing about in controller mode into VCV Rack. What are some cool and good VCV modules?
Edit: Better question: what are some good resources on how synthesis actually works? I'm mucking about with the default patch, but I'm not sure I get what everything is doing.

https://learningsynths.ableton.com/

Also, Syntorial.

Sound on Sound lacks two crucial things: sound examples and a generalized model. It’s no use talking about an SH101 if you don’t have one.

That said; learn principles, not specific synths. Modular is pretty great for this and also pretty bad because it doesn’t do anything for you by default. This is why some synths have one knob for filter LFO and on a modular this requires three modules and five patch cables or so.

VCV is doing things the hard way, but really understanding the principles behind it puts you ahead of most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

for me it was Logics Synth 2 or whatever it's called back in 2007. Theres a patch bay at the bottom that taught me about routing and poo poo, and it has a pretty standard subtractive synth on top. I can still spot the default patches when they're used in pop music lol