Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

:whoptc:

If I'm reading this right you basically went all in on time dogs, d-step, and d-shift, and ignored everything else?

that's cathbald not me but yeah he did it to prove a point. note: every other tree is also incredibly good. so yeah. TW is good. shoot things with bow while dogs murder everything.

MMF Freeway posted:

I just won with it an hour ago and yeah I can see how it's OP. Didn't stop me from dying a couple more times in the endgame. Once to one of the stair bosses in highpeak, those guys were all pretty tough, and another to the final bosses. Class was definitely very fun but having a lot of buttons to push kind of burned me out by the end (may also have something to do with playing 15 hours in three days). Also anomalies were pissing me off even though I never died because of them. The hounds ruled and carried my rear end a lot but I have no idea how that guy relied on them completely. Mine started actually dying by the end and the damage kinda fell off against big targets.

I should probably like not start another run right away but there are so many classes I wanna try...

yeah the chronomancers wind up with a shitload of buttons. and he geared for NOTHING but dogs, so his dogs were even more godlike than normal. usually you'd like use a bow and crank crit chance and poo poo and pew pew things instead of what he's wearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thirsty Dog posted:

What was the RTS where your units were mini armies / brigades / detachments and you went around fighting for objectives on a map? Really wish I could remember, it was a series and not that well known, but essentially was all macro and almost no micro.

Majesty is sort of like this, too.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Thirsty Dog posted:

Essentially it's a game that treats player attention and focus as a resource in itself. Which is just way too stressful for me.

What was the RTS where your units were mini armies / brigades / detachments and you went around fighting for objectives on a map? Really wish I could remember, it was a series and not that well known, but essentially was all macro and almost no micro.

Lord's of Magic?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

Is Void Bastards good?

The first like 10 hours are surprisingly good then you start seeing past the illusion and it becomes pretty tedious.

I wish they'd put more work into creating environments that you could interact dynamically with. The opening stage with the airlock was cool but you so rarely come across situations where you can do something like that.

I haven't revisited it since last year though so I don't know if it's been patched since or what.

Mithross posted:

Very good but at least on launch it was a one and done affair with little reason to replay it. I enjoyed my time with it a lot.

e: Basically look at this progression of posts:

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yo Void Bastards is incredibly slick, where the hell did this game come from?

SKULL.GIF posted:

I just spent like 5 hours on Void Bastards, stopping only because I have to go into work.

I have a feeling that this game would look absolutely amazing at 144 fps, unfortunately I'm a long way away from affording the hardware for that.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Void Bastards has some really good bones but badly needs more content. The first 5-8 hours are excellent then all of a sudden it tips over into a slow grind-and-gather with no real surprises.

Enemy variety is fine more or less, I think, it's just mostly the ship layouts, they need to be mixed up way more than they are, and there needs to be some Crawl-style vaults mixed into the layouts here and there. I'd love to see, for example, hull breach zones.

I'm just about to beat the game on Normal, will try again today on Hard Bastard to see if the difficulty spike freshens it up.

(it didn't, it just made it a lot more grueling)

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
It’s good, not great. As much as I liked the bones, it’s lacking the replay. I highly recommend your first run is on hard. The scarcity keeps it from dragging as much, since you can’t afford to dick around on each ship. The challenge modes are interesting, but they can’t save you from the drag that a normal mode turns into. Also, it needs that more variety mentioned above.

Ultimately I would not recommend picking it up. There’s nothing obviously wrong, as you can tell from the review scores. It’s just you can do better for your $30. If they start doing content updates after the console ports, I might revise it upwards, but it’s been a pretty static content state outside that one DLC.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Basically yea, he had a great idea and translated it well, then couldn't find a way to extend the moment-to-moment gameplay into a campaign. There was a DLC that added a new ship type, but didn't solve the underlying problem of "once and done".

EVERSPACE suffered from a similar problem, in that the loop is great fun but the inflicted grind to the end and lack of a high skill or strategy ceiling means that it wore its welcome out before you finish. Ironically, I feel that if he rejigged the final boss to be more like FTL's, ie a huge break from the loop and a massive spike in difficulty that maybe needs a particular ascension kit, it would have added a lot of legs to the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Is Void Bastards good?

Extremely. I’ve completed 5 runs and might go back for another at some point, although you need to play on hard (eventually hard bastard) for the game to stay engaging since it’s basically all about regulating resources and you get too many resources on normal. haven’t messed with the really restrictive modes like foon mode or “[weapon category] only” and think the default mode is the way to go since the game is a bit too long for the gimmicky challenge modes they added not to overstay their welcome, since they limit your gear overmuch.

the game feels like a better version of FTL where the RNG is just as extremely swingy, either for your benefit or to your detriment, with some ships that literally have no hostile enemies at all and others that are suicide to even enter; except void bastards actually gives you that information ahead of time to let you choose how much you’re willing to risk, which is a really good formula. The gameplay on ships is serviceable, where the game really shines is the resource/risk-based decision making that drives everything you do on the star map

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The best is when you face an archer warlord when you have both Arrow Time (passive that lets you send projectiles back where they came from) and the banner that puts starlight burns on enemies. Archer warlords bounce all over the place while shooting you, and are normally a tremendous pain to fight...but with Arrow Time they pretty much can't touch you and instead every attack they make lands back on them with added starlight damage. They basically shoot themselves to bits while you stand there and Matrix dodge everything.

Thanks for the tip, I encountered a ranger warlord and had the Arrow Time ability from the Medium Armor tree, I think I got hit once the entire fight. Got an amazing bow for my trouble as well.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I beat Void Bastards, but I feel like I was missing something for my whole playthrough. No matter how many weapon upgrades I got, most of the non-wimpy enemies felt like such complete bullet-sponges that combat was almost always a losing proposition. I engaged with them in the earlier levels and had a good enough time, but by the time the mid-game rolled around it seemed like the most viable strategy was always to sneak around until I got caught and then just haul rear end for the objectives/exit. I didn't stop having fun, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for out of the game either. Like I said, I think this may have been my issue somehow. For sure it was worth the buck I spent on Gamepass regardless of anything else though.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Some of the enemies are definitely meant to just be avoided, or require special tools. If you've got Screws, you want to use the Rifter and lock them up in some useless side room. Gunpoints can be zapped and avoided, or exploded. Zecs need indirect explosions landed behind them. Secbot can be dealt with like Gunpoints, but is much better to just avoid triggering or disable him. Also I didn't realize till near the end that some of the console overrides you can purchase are really good. You can permanently disable security, or become immune to all environmental hazards. I definitely gave myself a much harder time trying to just avoid hazards in ships that were loaded with them.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, I never felt that fighting enemies was a losing proposition, but more that you really need to bring the right tool to the right job. Very frequently there's a weapon that can deal with an enemy with exactly one shot; the problem becomes "which weapons do I bring to deal with the most problematic enemies".

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
More ToME thoughts:

I played the embers of rage campaign and overall I liked it alot. It feels really tough in the early/mid game though and I probably wouldn't have made it if I wasn't following a zone order guide. Rolled a sawbutcher and ended up getting overpowered as hell by the end, like just bumping through swarms of lvl100 vault enemies.

Then I got to the last boss... holy poo poo what is that fight? I rolled in with three lives and promptly used them all. I feel like I have at least some tools to counter him, like a couple of ways to remove burning hex and enough healing to sustain for awhile, but he just outlasts me. I think the problem is I didn't prepare enough dark and maybe temporal resist but it's not like I can leave to get more now. I have one try left + a blood of life and I may resort to scumming for more tries but I think I just didn't build well enough to complete it. Which is fair enough I guess, I shouldn't expect to just steamroll the final fight my first time. He does seem to be on a whole other level of challenge compared to everything that came before him though.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

ToxicFrog posted:

Still playing Genesis Alpha One, aka "Weyland-Yutani does FTL: The Roguelite". Found an advanced hyperdrive schematic in a star cluster inhabited by alien assholes who followed my ship around and beamed down commando squads to gently caress with my away team. Eventually lost them by doing a series of quick jumps around some hazard sectors.

While doing that, I found a habitable (O₂) planet, but I don't have (and my life support systems can't handle) enough oxybreathing crew to actually set up a colony there. So I use my fancy new hyperdrive to jump back to earlier systems to look for more oxygen-producing plants to upgrade my life support systems.

In the course of hunting for ferns, someone on the crew catches a serious case of headbursters. It spreads to most of the crew before I can isolate them. Three refuse to isolate¹; I execute them. The rest seem to recover, but a few jumps later everything goes to poo poo -- there's headbursters all over the crew wing. Probably someone died and their body turned into a nest and I didn't notice until the entire module was overrun. I end up venting large sections of the crew wing to space to delay them while I set up more turrets. In the end the infestation is destroyed at the cost of half of my crew. So now I have enough life support to set up a colony, but not enough crewmembers.

Next order of business: harvesting enough biomass to clone some replacement crew.

¹ I think this is a bug

"StarCraft without the boring base building or micro" is, depending on how you look at it, either Ground Control or Homeworld, though, and both of those games own bones :v:

I've not heard of this before and it sounds incredible. Going to wishlist it and see if patches improve the experience.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Any thoughts on Lenna's Inception or Curse of the Dead Gods? They both look interesting, Lenna as roguelike Zelda and Curse as knock off Hades.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh wow, yea that sounded like a fun description from the quote but the trailer had a few red flags, and the reviews are savage. Oh well.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Hackan Slash posted:

Any thoughts on Lenna's Inception or Curse of the Dead Gods? They both look interesting, Lenna as roguelike Zelda and Curse as knock off Hades.

I like what I've seen of Curse of the Dead Gods, but some streamers have been iffy on the early access version of Hades (as being a knock off Hades when there is Hades). Personally, I'm going to wait till it leaves EA to check it out. But I am definitely going to check it out.

As for Lenna's Inception, I've seen some of it but haven't formed an opinion strong enough to bump it above my backlog, which also includes Anodyne 2.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

drat... Got a soldier to 5-2 in Streets of Rogue but then stupidly got myself cornered in one of the science lab building interior rooms and roasted by a cop robot with a flamethrower. This game is extremely fun, though I'm a little disappointed that many of the alternate ways to deal with situations seem to diminish in availability in the later levels leaving you only with ultraviolence in the tool kit. Still, way more in the way of environmental and item interactions than most of these style games I've played recently, and the action is really fun. Definitely glad I picked it up.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MMF Freeway posted:

More ToME thoughts:

I played the embers of rage campaign and overall I liked it alot. It feels really tough in the early/mid game though and I probably wouldn't have made it if I wasn't following a zone order guide. Rolled a sawbutcher and ended up getting overpowered as hell by the end, like just bumping through swarms of lvl100 vault enemies.

Then I got to the last boss... holy poo poo what is that fight? I rolled in with three lives and promptly used them all. I feel like I have at least some tools to counter him, like a couple of ways to remove burning hex and enough healing to sustain for awhile, but he just outlasts me. I think the problem is I didn't prepare enough dark and maybe temporal resist but it's not like I can leave to get more now. I have one try left + a blood of life and I may resort to scumming for more tries but I think I just didn't build well enough to complete it. Which is fair enough I guess, I shouldn't expect to just steamroll the final fight my first time. He does seem to be on a whole other level of challenge compared to everything that came before him though.
I did it deathless the second time I got to it!

... because I found a unique T5 steamsaw with life leech on it so I could win the extremely long battle of attrition :stonk:

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Zereth posted:

I did it deathless the second time I got to it!

... because I found a unique T5 steamsaw with life leech on it so I could win the extremely long battle of attrition :stonk:

I think I won with that same saw on my first try. It also healed you to full life every time you killed something (10 turn cooldown).

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

do most people play tome with multiple lives? i feel weird playing a roguelike not on roguelike mode but it is a really long game.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I think a lot of people do, but I like to play it like a real roguelike.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
So I pulled the trigger on Lenna's Inception, and it's got the same problem all " ________ but a roguelike" have, which is it feels like the experience would have been better if it was bespoke and the replayability of its randomness isn't that much.

For example, there's no actual puzzles with items, everything so far is just a gear check. Level and dungeon layouts are just so bland. I would have refunded it, but the art and bosses have been pretty good so I'll just do one playthrough. If it had been more than 10 bucks though...

I hope people who make these games realize that the dream is an infinite number of dungeons as good as Zelda, not an infinite number of samey corridors

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I tend to run with the extra lives for a few reasons. First off, TOME has really lopsided enemy design, where basically everything is either a weak baby that has no chance of killing you, or a ridiculous killing machine that can either one shot you or stunlock you forever.

Secondly, TOME is pretty long, and it really sucks losing hours upon hours of progress for daring to look at one of the aforementioned killing machines.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
From doing some reading on builds and stuff the last few weeks it seems like even the guys making guides for insane runs prefer adventure mode. I can't really compare from personal experience but apparently the newer patches are more one shotty than previous versions so that may be part of the reason. I agree with people saying its too long for no extra lives personally.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You can always find extra lives on RL mode. There's the Blood of Life, a comsumable which resurrects you once, and that Necromancer Ring, which does the same when worn on death.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Hackan Slash posted:

So I pulled the trigger on Lenna's Inception, and it's got the same problem all " ________ but a roguelike" have, which is it feels like the experience would have been better if it was bespoke and the replayability of its randomness isn't that much.

For example, there's no actual puzzles with items, everything so far is just a gear check. Level and dungeon layouts are just so bland. I would have refunded it, but the art and bosses have been pretty good so I'll just do one playthrough. If it had been more than 10 bucks though...

I hope people who make these games realize that the dream is an infinite number of dungeons as good as Zelda, not an infinite number of samey corridors

There's that game Unexplored I think it's called that does puzzles pretty well. It's more groggy than Zelda for sure, but captures some of that if you're into dungeon puzzles.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Awesome! posted:

do most people play tome with multiple lives? i feel weird playing a roguelike not on roguelike mode but it is a really long game.

I play it on roguelike but I still use Blood of Life if I find it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

There's that game Unexplored I think it's called that does puzzles pretty well. It's more groggy than Zelda for sure, but captures some of that if you're into dungeon puzzles.

More roguelike developers should watch their GDC talk about how to make really good procedural levels.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Awesome! posted:

I am a strong advocate of playing on roguelike, and Darkgod is on record saying he included adventure mode not because it's in his vision for the game but because way fewer players would play it otherwise, but conversely, adventure mode is the default setting when you first boot the game up.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tome4 has done nothing to earn my respect enough for me to play it without extra lives

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
There's always the endless dungeon if you want to play TOME as a one life roguelike without going through whatever goes on in the bits I never get to because I always play it on roguelike.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

super nailgun posted:

drat... Got a soldier to 5-2 in Streets of Rogue but then stupidly got myself cornered in one of the science lab building interior rooms and roasted by a cop robot with a flamethrower. This game is extremely fun, though I'm a little disappointed that many of the alternate ways to deal with situations seem to diminish in availability in the later levels leaving you only with ultraviolence in the tool kit. Still, way more in the way of environmental and item interactions than most of these style games I've played recently, and the action is really fun. Definitely glad I picked it up.

Racked a win with a demolitionist. Was honestly on the too easy side once I got the perk that lets you destroy any walls with explosions. Really fun though!

Got a gorilla almost to the end but dipped out of 5-2 without realizing I had one comrade to rescue still and failing the big quest took a lot of the wind out of my sails... Then 5-3 came with a killer robot and a large complex made of steel walls with an objective inside that I go pinned down in and finally killed. Had some resurrection juice in my quick bar but was a half second too slow chugging it unfortunately. The scarcity of melee weapons later on made that run pretty tough towards the end.

Playing as an emancipator gorilla hurling slavers through walls and freeing my brethren never got old though. Definitely made it harder for myself than I needed to by busting out not just gorillas but every slave pen, and attacking the upper crusters with slaves in tow to free those too.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Not to rub salt in your wounds but Resurrection Shampoo doesn’t wear off until you die as far as I know, you just chug it when you get it unless you already have a stack.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Mithross posted:

Not to rub salt in your wounds but Resurrection Shampoo doesn’t wear off until you die as far as I know, you just chug it when you get it unless you already have a stack.

Hah drat! I figured it was time limited like the rest of the usable buff items. Good to know!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Jack Trades posted:

More roguelike developers should watch their GDC talk about how to make really good procedural levels.

got a link, I want to look to this.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

It took a bit of google-fu, but I think this is it.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1019284/Designing-Games-with-Procedural-Content

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

got a link, I want to look to this.

They made several talks about their cyclic level generation but I think the one I watched was this, not actually from GDC.

https://youtu.be/mA6PacEZX9M

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Jack Trades posted:

They made several talks about their cyclic level generation but I think the one I watched was this, not actually from GDC.

https://youtu.be/mA6PacEZX9M

Very good talk! I haven't implemented it into Escape from Aeon unfortunately, but I took at least some inspiration when adding in locked doors & keycards.

https://twitter.com/ghostknot_games/status/1260085834050686981

but maybe some doors should stay locked.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Nice little Brogue Community Edition Update:

https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE/releases/tag/v1.8.3

STRAFE going out on a high note as well of late, having come a long way from launch to GOLD EDITION now:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/442780/announcements/detail/2192634790476315107

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ExiledTinkerer posted:

STRAFE going out on a high note as well of late, having come a long way from launch to GOLD EDITION now:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/442780/announcements/detail/2192634790476315107

Is it actually any good now?
I never played it because reviews were bad at then DOOM came out and ruined fps games for me by being way too good.