Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
HDR is a joke on monitors, only HDR1000 is meaningful and it's still a mess and support in windows and games sucks and... yeah just forget about HDR, it's nowhere near ready for primetime.

Curved on non-ultrawides is just a way for large VA panel monitors to make up for one of their deficiencies. Colors shift on VA when you get off-angle, a curve makes the screen look more uniform. You really don't want a VA panel if gaming is your primary goal, and you don't want a TN panel if you care about colors for video editing etc, so like most people an IPS monitor makes sense for you. There are a ton of good 27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freersync monitors, and the one that probably makes the most sense for you is the LG 27GL83A. Bit more expensive than the cheapest options, doesn't have the greatest contrast which can be a downside if you want your monitor blindingly bright and/or use it in complete darkness, but the build quality/aesthetics are pretty good (LG monitors are mostly plastic but not very... plasticky, and from the front almost all you're looking at is glass) and it's got great responsiveness, and it does have HDR400 support so you can use it once and see why it sucks.

It's out of stock right now, as usual, but a few show up in stock every few days so if you're tracking it you can snap one up at the $370-380 normal price.

You can spend a lot more money but you are not going to get very good return on what you spend. We've been at the point for a while now where there are a whole bunch of monitors in the $300-500 price range that fill various niches, and while none of them are perfect, a lot of them are very good value.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

K8.0 posted:

HDR is a joke on monitors, only HDR1000 is meaningful and it's still a mess and support in windows and games sucks and... yeah just forget about HDR, it's nowhere near ready for primetime.

Curved on non-ultrawides is just a way for large VA panel monitors to make up for one of their deficiencies. Colors shift on VA when you get off-angle, a curve makes the screen look more uniform. You really don't want a VA panel if gaming is your primary goal, and you don't want a TN panel if you care about colors for video editing etc, so like most people an IPS monitor makes sense for you. There are a ton of good 27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freersync monitors, and the one that probably makes the most sense for you is the LG 27GL83A. Bit more expensive than the cheapest options, doesn't have the greatest contrast which can be a downside if you want your monitor blindingly bright and/or use it in complete darkness, but the build quality/aesthetics are pretty good (LG monitors are mostly plastic but not very... plasticky, and from the front almost all you're looking at is glass) and it's got great responsiveness, and it does have HDR400 support so you can use it once and see why it sucks.

It's out of stock right now, as usual, but a few show up in stock every few days so if you're tracking it you can snap one up at the $370-380 normal price.

You can spend a lot more money but you are not going to get very good return on what you spend. We've been at the point for a while now where there are a whole bunch of monitors in the $300-500 price range that fill various niches, and while none of them are perfect, a lot of them are very good value.

I appreciate the detailed response. You've given me a lot to think about. While I do also have a PS4 Pro connected to my monitor, I can ignore HDR for now based on what you've said. The LG monitor seems pretty decent, and highly reviewed. I'm not really impressed with it from a design standpoint, but its not offensive either. Do you have any other suggestions if I'd rather not sit around waiting for this item to get back in stock? Is there a defacto "premium" or luxury suggestion that I should investigate? I just want a beautiful gamer palace with very nice things that look good and arrive quickly. Anyone with experience on the surely somewhat overpriced Raptor?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Everything K8.0 said is true. The Razer is probably the "luxury" option, in the sense that it's a $700 monitor that doesn't really do anything different/better than some of the $350 monitors. It's just got different aesthetics and a name slapped on it. Other ones to consider are the ASUS ROG Swift PG279QZ or ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'm reading that the LG 27GL850 and 27GL83A have issues with VESA mounting plates? Anyone use monitor arms for either of these monitors (or other LG monitors that apparently have the same issue) where you didn't get spacers for it?

Edit: Not sure, but seems like it's mounts with open holes that makes the edge flange out a bit? The ones where you can't remove the plate from the mount for installation/removal.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 6, 2020

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
edit: bought it

hmm yes fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 7, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm reading that the LG 27GL850 and 27GL83A have issues with VESA mounting plates? Anyone use monitor arms for either of these monitors (or other LG monitors that apparently have the same issue) where you didn't get spacers for it?

Edit: Not sure, but seems like it's mounts with open holes that makes the edge flange out a bit? The ones where you can't remove the plate from the mount for installation/removal.

Mine is on an a cheapo arm i got off Amazon and it was the usual installation. Pop off the covering, its a big flat square with four holes. Screw the plate in it, throw it on the arm, done. The vesa square is recessed a little, so maybe people have mounting plates that are bigger than standard?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

I appreciate the detailed response. You've given me a lot to think about. While I do also have a PS4 Pro connected to my monitor, I can ignore HDR for now based on what you've said. The LG monitor seems pretty decent, and highly reviewed. I'm not really impressed with it from a design standpoint, but its not offensive either. Do you have any other suggestions if I'd rather not sit around waiting for this item to get back in stock? Is there a defacto "premium" or luxury suggestion that I should investigate? I just want a beautiful gamer palace with very nice things that look good and arrive quickly. Anyone with experience on the surely somewhat overpriced Raptor?

Quick FYI, the 27GL83A and the 27GL850 is almost identical, iirc the main difference is the the 850 is slightly more expensive and has some sort of USB hub? (Which doesn't work on mine urghhh if anyone has any tips so that I can fix it at home let me know please)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Cygni posted:

Mine is on an a cheapo arm i got off Amazon and it was the usual installation. Pop off the covering, its a big flat square with four holes. Screw the plate in it, throw it on the arm, done. The vesa square is recessed a little, so maybe people have mounting plates that are bigger than standard?

Yeah, the plate I mentioned seems to be a bit off standard that seems to only be affected by recessed mounting points. I happened to finally find an example through an Amazon review. As you can see the part that opens up the top holes has bits that seem to bump up against the chassis.

I figure as long as I get a mount that doesn't use that style of plate I should be good to go.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, all of the arm companies are trying to work around the patents on the mounting hardware that some companies have.

You could also use some washers/vinyl spacers if you needed to in a worst case, to bring the plate out a tiny amount. That was actually the manufacturer recommended mounting technique in some older monitors where vesa was more of an afterthought.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Artelier posted:

Quick FYI, the 27GL83A and the 27GL850 is almost identical, iirc the main difference is the the 850 is slightly more expensive and has some sort of USB hub? (Which doesn't work on mine urghhh if anyone has any tips so that I can fix it at home let me know please)

You may need to connect the USB upstream to your system somehow. This can be done with usb-b (printer cable port) to usb-a or a usb-c cable.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TheDK posted:

You may need to connect the USB upstream to your system somehow. This can be done with usb-b (printer cable port) to usb-a or a usb-c cable.

Yeah, my new Acer uses USB-A to B for the hub.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
What the hell is going on with that mounting bracket?

I'd say either the arm manufacturer, or the monitor manufacturer, hosed up their VESA implementation and needs to be yeeted into the sun.

Having done 0 research on it, I'm sure that the VESA would HAVE to have some sort of allowance for the outside dimensions of a plate, rather than just specifying that the holes need to be $distance apart . . . right?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

DrDork posted:

Those are also, what $6,000 24" monitors? They weren't marketed to normal consumers for a reason.

Yes, they can work, and work well. They just can't do it (yet) for a price that makes any sense for a home user.

I would still buy a 'cheap' OLED even if prone to burn-in if they came in at 24-32inches. They're that much better than LCD.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Is there any estimation of how far off we are from OLED gaming monitors? My 13" laptop has an OLED screen, as does my PS Vita from nearly 10 years ago.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
There's nothing technical stopping it. Dell offered an OLED monitor a couple of years ago but it was discontinued relatively quickly. I don't know exactly why but IIRC I read something about them not being satisfied with the longevity of it.

Most gaming monitors are actually used for mixed desktop stuff a lot of the time, and a lot of bright UI elements in predictable locations is exactly what you don't want on OLED.

KingEup posted:

I would still buy a 'cheap' OLED even if prone to burn-in if they came in at 24-32inches. They're that much better than LCD.

There isn't really any cheap OLED though, at least not at the sizes and pixel densities you'd want for a monitor. That's kind of the problem, I think - people are going to expect a lot from a monitor that'll probably be something like $2000.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 6, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

TheFluff posted:

There isn't really any cheap OLED though, at least not at the sizes and pixel densities you'd want for a monitor. That's kind of the problem, I think - people are going to expect a lot from a monitor that'll probably be something like $2000.

Bingo. I just checked, and the Dell 30" 4k@60 OLED was $3,500 for the short time it was on sale. People are gonna expect it to be basically perfect and last a considerable amount of time for that price. A 27" 1440p@144Hz OLED would still probably be $2,500 or more.

It's worth remembering that, not only do PC monitors tend to display the same UI elements a lot, but they also display a lot brighter images on average than a TV. Most TVs spend most of their time displaying relatively dim images: lots of dark pallets in movies, TV shows, even most games. The searing white background of a Word doc, for example, basically never pops up on a TV for any length of time. That your normal consumer spends far more time looking at a white background (Word, most browsers, etc.) is a serious issue for OLED longevity. The push to black backgrounds helps, but obviously we're nowhere near having that be something that can be considered as a viable mitigation.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
OLED black is black instead a very dark LCD grey gets a "so what?" from me, especially when there's huge price differential on the monitor side.

Btw LG lost $4.1B last year while their large OLED panel monopoly only managed to obtain a miniscule 1% in overall TV panel volume, so don't get your hopes up on OLED.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The quality differences between OLED and even the best LCD panels is starkly obvious, but nonetheless the tech is just a stopgap until microLED makes financial sense.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
Yeah. Everyone talks about contrast because it's the easiest thing to understand, but the extremely fast response time of OLED panels also dramatically boosts motion clarity. It's still sample and hold so it's not approaching CRT or Plasma territory, but it's still sharper than the fastest TN panels. Everything about OLED is worth the price of admission.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Big Bad Worf posted:

Yeah. Everyone talks about contrast because it's the easiest thing to understand, but the extremely fast response time of OLED panels also dramatically boosts motion clarity. It's still sample and hold so it's not approaching CRT or Plasma territory, but it's still sharper than the fastest TN panels. Everything about OLED is worth the price of admission.

Except the price of admission, perhaps.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Gaming and movies are amazing on OLED, but the burnout terrifies me. I only use my LG OLED 55" for movie/TV watching even though I have it hooked up to my computer.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

I got my 65" B8 for a decent price, but I went through a non-official retailer and bought at below their listed price. If I had a room with lots of light, kids, or olds in my house I wouldn't have gotten it. Burn in risk is real and the finish gets glare from a dim bulb 30 feet away. Non-matte screens are the worst.

I wouldn't want it as a consumer monitor unless it was $200 or less. Feels like you'd have to replace it way too often because computers have tons of static stuff. It's the best screen I've had since CRT. I could see it being used professionally pretty soon now that they aren't LG exclusive.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 7, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Subjunctive posted:

You can get a B9 with hdmi 2.1 and all the trimmings for $1,200... it’s fine

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
How is it that I use an OLED as my primary PC monitor and have a plasma TV from 2004, game heavily on both and have no burn in? I even have all the pixel orbiting features disabled.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

space marine todd posted:

Gaming and movies are amazing on OLED, but the burnout terrifies me. I only use my LG OLED 55" for movie/TV watching even though I have it hooked up to my computer.

You’re making a terrible mistake not utilizing your OLED for gaming, especially if its a newer panel.

I’ve totally abused my C9 with hundreds of hours of gaming, leaving it on static HDR Windows desktop at full brightness for 30 minutes, you name a stupid thing, I’ve done it 50 times. TV looks as good as the day I bought it and shows literally no hint of issue under single-color burn in tests.

Guess what dude things exist to be used. You will die one day. Your TV will be poo poo the minute consumer-price microLED is here. PC gaming on OLED is orgasmically good (god-tier good if you also happen to have a graphics card that can use GSync with it, but not required).

e:

KingEup posted:

How is it that I use an OLED as my primary PC monitor and have a plasma TV from 2004, game heavily on both and have no burn in? I even have all the pixel orbiting features disabled.

I could not agree with you any more. Also the newer OLEDs have ridiculously good anti-burn in tech. I don't want to be hyperbolic but OLED literally changed my perception of gaming. It's that loving good. And when the new Nvidia cards come out in a few months with HDMI 2.1, that's it, we've reached the OLED PC gaming singularity.

OLED HDMI 2.1 GSync 4K 120hz 4:4:4, and with DLSS 2.0, that is going to be the reality on any decent 3000 series card.

Palladium posted:

OLED black is black instead a very dark LCD grey gets a "so what?" from me, especially when there's huge price differential on the monitor side.

"I have strong opinions about a thing I know nothing about"

Taima fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 7, 2020

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
The 48" CX coming out later this year is going to be very tempting.
When I game on PC, 90% of the time I'm kicking back with a controller anyway. I have a ThinkPad if I need to type a report or something.
The only thing is my GTX 1060 will not be able to push 4K.
If I upgrade to a 2000 or 3000 series GPU in the future I'd be curious to see how integer scaling a 3D game would look on an OLED. I've only used integer scaling for 2D content with my retro stuff but 1080px2 would be a perfect integer scale and allow for way higher frame rates on something like a C9 or CX.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Palladium posted:

Pixel response is zero. Perfect screen uniformity. No glow or black light bleed. Rolling scan (on mine at least).

Glow and backlight bleed drove me absolutely mental. Never again.

Do I care that my monitor may eventually wear out? No I do not. By the time burn shows up there will be 500Hz microleds available and I would have upgraded.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 7, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

TheDK posted:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, my new Acer uses USB-A to B for the hub.

Oh thanks that did it! Woohoo I have some monitor ports now and can remove some from the plugs. Man, I really misunderstood what that cable was for (I thought it was for installing drivers or something)

Does it matter which USB port I use when connecting? I just picked a random one from the back of the CPU.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Taima posted:

You’re making a terrible mistake not utilizing your OLED for gaming, especially if its a newer panel.

I’ve totally abused my C9 with hundreds of hours of gaming, leaving it on static HDR Windows desktop at full brightness for 30 minutes, you name a stupid thing, I’ve done it 50 times. TV looks as good as the day I bought it and shows literally no hint of issue under single-color burn in tests.

Guess what dude things exist to be used. You will die one day. Your TV will be poo poo the minute consumer-price microLED is here. PC gaming on OLED is orgasmically good (god-tier good if you also happen to have a graphics card that can use GSync with it, but not required).

Well, poo poo. Those are all really great points.

If I can ask, what settings are you using on your C9?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Artelier posted:

Oh thanks that did it! Woohoo I have some monitor ports now and can remove some from the plugs. Man, I really misunderstood what that cable was for (I thought it was for installing drivers or something)

Does it matter which USB port I use when connecting? I just picked a random one from the back of the CPU.

It shouldn't. Only if they are different speeds or one offers BC 1.2 to charge a device that requires more than normal power delivery. Otherwise I would assume they'd all be the same USB version. If some are blue and others aren't, the blue ones are 3.0 and therefore faster.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I'm currently running a 27" 2560x1440 monitor on a Geforce 1060, and I'd like to add a second, nicer one and relegate this one to second screen for work status. I do a good bit of gaming, but mostly a year or two behind, and not competitively or anything. It seems like there are 3 top choices in the 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS world that I've gathered from checking this thread and asking a few friends what they're using:

LG 27GL83A-B
ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ
Acer Predator XB271HU

Is there any major reason to go with one of these over any of the others? They all seem to fall within the price range I'm expecting and look like they have similar features and similar reviews.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I feel like these monitors have been priced pretty high for quite a while. I know the LG has gone down to around $370 but are the prices for other monitors similar? I guess it’s just better to wait it out

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Leck posted:

I'm currently running a 27" 2560x1440 monitor on a Geforce 1060, and I'd like to add a second, nicer one and relegate this one to second screen for work status. I do a good bit of gaming, but mostly a year or two behind, and not competitively or anything. It seems like there are 3 top choices in the 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS world that I've gathered from checking this thread and asking a few friends what they're using:

LG 27GL83A-B
ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ
Acer Predator XB271HU

Is there any major reason to go with one of these over any of the others? They all seem to fall within the price range I'm expecting and look like they have similar features and similar reviews.

I also use a 1440p 144hz IPS main monitor and I'm curious why you'd pay extra for a 144hz secondary? I know we all talk about how nice it is, and it is, but for watching 24fps movies, posting on the forums, etc I really don't see the benefit besides reading text that is scrolling. Maybe we have different use cases!

If anyone knows of any 1440p IPS monitors (60hz) that represent good value I'd be all about that recommendation!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

The Leck posted:

LG 27GL83A-B
ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ
Acer Predator XB271HU

There's no reason to spend $500 on what you're looking for. You can get the 27GL83A for $370-380. The VG27AQ would be well worth considering if it were more reasonably priced, but it's been a long time since it was price-competitive, so unless you REALLY like the specific set of upsides and downsides it has, I wouldn't consider it too seriously. It's also one of the monitors that doesn't have a way to avoid the display sleep disconnect issue, which can be really annoying when you're using multiple monitors. The XB271HU is really old at this point and it's still a very good monitor but I don't think I'd buy one over the more modern options, especially at the price.

If you want to dig deeper or look into other options, the only places that do monitor reviews that mean anything are TFTCentral and RTings.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 8, 2020

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

I also use a 1440p 144hz IPS main monitor and I'm curious why you'd pay extra for a 144hz secondary? I know we all talk about how nice it is, and it is, but for watching 24fps movies, posting on the forums, etc I really don't see the benefit besides reading text that is scrolling. Maybe we have different use cases!

If anyone knows of any 1440p IPS monitors (60hz) that represent good value I'd be all about that recommendation!
You're completely right, and I didn't word that as clearly as I meant to. I have a 60Hz 27", I want a fancy 144Hz one to use as primary, and I'll use my current one as secondary.

K8.0 posted:

There's no reason to spend $500 on what you're looking for. You can get the 27GL83A for $370-380. The VG27AQ would be well worth considering if it were more reasonably priced, but it's been a long time since it was price-competitive, so unless you REALLY like the specific set of upsides and downsides it has, I wouldn't consider it too seriously. It's also one of the monitors that doesn't have a way to avoid the display sleep disconnect issue, which can be really annoying when you're using multiple monitors. The XB271HU is really old at this point and it's still a very good monitor but I don't think I'd buy one over the more modern options, especially at the price.

If you want to dig deeper or look into other options, the only places that do monitor reviews that mean anything are TFTCentral and RTings.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out, and I'd be happy to pay $100-150 less. Sounds like you just have to get lucky when they show up on Amazon?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The Leck posted:

You're completely right, and I didn't word that as clearly as I meant to. I have a 60Hz 27", I want a fancy 144Hz one to use as primary, and I'll use my current one as secondary.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out, and I'd be happy to pay $100-150 less. Sounds like you just have to get lucky when they show up on Amazon?

Yeah basically. Set up price alerts with nowinstock.net, they go by super quick

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

From all the reviews I watched/read before ordering the LG 27GL850B, it sounded like the ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ is comparable but not worth is for 60hz and below content. It's more or less what shifted me toward LG since I plan to still play my consoles along with PC games.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I feel like these monitors have been priced pretty high for quite a while. I know the LG has gone down to around $370 but are the prices for other monitors similar? I guess it’s just better to wait it out

Which LG model is this? I'm seeing prices and price histories in the $440-520 USD range for LG 27GL83A-B 27 Inch and LG 27GL850-B 27 Inch models. I don't doubt you but just want to make sure it's not a currency or model difference that's throwing me off.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ItBurns posted:

Which LG model is this? I'm seeing prices and price histories in the $440-520 USD range for LG 27GL83A-B 27 Inch and LG 27GL850-B 27 Inch models. I don't doubt you but just want to make sure it's not a currency or model difference that's throwing me off.

LG 27GL83A-B 27 inch

I’m getting the prices from this (and the previous replies in the thread): https://www.nowinstock.net/full_historydetails/853/44783/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The 83A is generally around $370 US when it shows up in stock on Amazon.