Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

al-azad posted:

It's also weird that none of the catalyst for Simon's story actually matters. I completely forgot his girlfriend's name and don't understand the significance of the mid-game flashback.
Just got to this part, which I'd completely forgot about, and it's the WAU trying to shoot Simon up with happy dreamtime thoughts to keep him docile and from running around wrecking more poo poo. All the other still living crew members you've been seeing along the way are people who have been overpowered by it, and their bodies are rotting away while the WAU keeps them on life support and feeds them nice thoughts. Totally agree, I love this take on a rogue AI, it's much more interesting.

More to come as I play through the rest of it, there are a ton of details I'd forgotten. Wish the game were a little shorter though, it doesn't help that I'm obsessive about making sure I find everything, as there is a lot of storybuilding you have to keep an eye out for that can be easy to miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
There is also the possibility that Simon forgot about his girlfriend, considering how long it has been.
I agree about the ending, I think it was added later maybe?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Heeeyyy, guess who's back.
https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1258420153198526464

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh good, it’s been a while since I heard from them on Kickstarter.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lol at this post from the Scorn devs. That’s some dickish talking there.

“We’re not really updating you because to do so is trivial to us.”

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Really sticking with the phallic theme there.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Since SOMA was mentioned. Have there been similar horror games since? I haven't played anything new in years that scares me or makes me think about my existence at least.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DropsySufferer posted:

Since SOMA was mentioned. Have there been similar horror games since? I haven't played anything new in years that scares me or makes me think about my existence at least.

While it's a very different type of game thematically, Hellblade is very reminiscent of SOMA in its minimalist UI, oppressive atmosphere to create a constant sense of unease, and use of binaural audio.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've been waiting since the KS for this, I can't get enough of the visuals which they've knocked out of the god drat park, god it looks so good.

The gameplay will probably be terrible though, lol

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

sigher posted:

I've been waiting since the KS for this, I can't get enough of the visuals which they've knocked out of the god drat park, god it looks so good.

The gameplay will probably be terrible though, lol

The playable alpha was decent enough to play at least.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DropsySufferer posted:

The Bloober games, most notably Observer, are probably the closest in concept/quality.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

DropsySufferer posted:

Eh, the only games that come to mind that are potent existential explorations are old adventure games; it's a hard theme to work with seriously with what you're already facing with a videogame. The Swapper does come to mind, at least, though again, hardly new, and I don't know much about it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The Void, maybe? It's not really horror, per se, but it's very heavy on the existentialism.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

nm

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lifeglug posted:

The playable alpha was decent enough to play at least.

I don't think there was enough in the alpha to make much of a call on how the gameplay was going to be, it was so short and straight forward it could go either way. I'm honestly just in it for the visuals which is exceeding my expectations, if the gameplay is good that's just a wonderful bonus.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

The Void, maybe? It's not really horror, per se, but it's very heavy on the existentialism.
The Void is my favorite game that I'll probably never finish again. It's exhausting to play. I did install recently and it still seems to run fine on new hardware though!

I had a similar experience with the same developer's Pathologic 2, which I haven't even finished once.

sigher posted:

I don't think there was enough in the alpha to make much of a call on how the gameplay was going to be, it was so short and straight forward it could go either way. I'm honestly just in it for the visuals which is exceeding my expectations, if the gameplay is good that's just a wonderful bonus.
I had the same hopes for Inner Chains and well, that was still a dud. It does look nice but the game never really felt finished.

Hope the art print I kickstarted at least materializes from Scorn.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Wow the tone of that Scorn Dev update is giving me some serious "up their own asses" vibe.
Still not a clue what the hell is even going on in that game, some kind of flesh infestation?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Wow the tone of that Scorn Dev update is giving me some serious "up their own asses" vibe.
Still not a clue what the hell is even going on in that game, some kind of flesh infestation?
"Lost in a alien world" apparently, going by the Steam page. It worked for Darkseed, which is another Giger flavoured game. Old live-action horror adventure, but it really had the art style down.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Has anyone been back to WoH?

quote:

a new mystery, BIZARRE BRUIT OF THE BLOOD-CURDLING BOTANIST, has been added with 4 endings
new items, including a new powerful weapon
three new enemies and two new enemy types: UNDEAD and PLANT
a new random TOWN STATUS, making playthroughs harder and less predictable
a new DOWNTOWN shop, VENDING MACHINES for all characters that don't want to rely on the dog shopkeeper for CIGARETTES

quote:

burning down the school now hurts the player

hidden the information about yet unfinished TRUE BELIEVER+ difficulty level

CIGARETTES won't be consumed if you're not an addict

many typos and grammatical errors fixed
ancestral strength now boosts correctly the kick damage

you can't fire at ghosts anymore

Zushio
May 8, 2008
This is unrelated to any current topic, but I am really enjoying Resident Evil: Resistance. On PS4. If you want to play, add me. My PSN is my username proceeded by the word Prince.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 8, 2020

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I got tired of WoH quicker than I would have liked. I like the aestetic and presentation, but I feel like the gameplay itself doesn't...quite work? Not sure why, exactly.

Incidentally, reading the OP reminded me that I once played Amnesia: Dark Descent and then dropped it because I got stuck and nothing ruins horror atmosphere for me like going back and forth trying to figure how to continue the god drat game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think it's simply because it's just kind of shallow, mostly. The gameplay can't hold one's attention for long because there just frankly isn't much to it.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I like WoH’s aesthetic, but extended play hurts my eyes. Like, a lot.

A shame.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

paradoxGentleman posted:

I got tired of WoH quicker than I would have liked. I like the aestetic and presentation, but I feel like the gameplay itself doesn't...quite work? Not sure why, exactly.

I agree. It doesn't play at all how I envisioned.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I like WoH but the fact I have found exactly 0 katanas in my playthroughs while a friend found 5 in a row is discouraging. I seem to struggle finding weapons and he's like "cutting gods in half with my Hanzo steel lol"

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

paradoxGentleman posted:

Incidentally, reading the OP reminded me that I once played Amnesia: Dark Descent and then dropped it because I got stuck and nothing ruins horror atmosphere for me like going back and forth trying to figure how to continue the god drat game.
I don't think I've touched that in a while, I don't really even play that much anymore. With a bunch of newer stuff out I have no clue about really, if someone wanted to spin up a new thread I'd be all for it.

Then this thread could end on page 555, certified gold for eternity :angel:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Len posted:

I like WoH but the fact I have found exactly 0 katanas in my playthroughs while a friend found 5 in a row is discouraging. I seem to struggle finding weapons and he's like "cutting gods in half with my Hanzo steel lol"

I find katanas when I go into other worlds.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

How are you supposed to do those events, anyway? I've never gotten more than a few steps into one of them before I am booted back outside.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The issue I had with WoH is it really lacks enough randomization with the events to make doing them again feel worth it. Once you've done a case correctly, you can do it correctly each time. Stuff like side quest rewards also being static is another head scratcher, especially since some are just negatives like losing sanity. Once I realized that I never did the one in the mermaid case ever again, because why would I?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

WoH is also unfinished, so it's gonna have problems that might not be as bad or there later.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Yeah, there just isn't enough actual randomisation in WoH and it's very easy to burn out on.

If I were to make a change to it, it'd be in optional objectives for missions. I'm not playing on hardest difficulties, but in the Mermaid case, the option objective is 'search the beach twice', one of which happens in the mystery itself. There's not much space for actual risk after you've played through a mission once

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Not enough randomness for the lack of cohesion in the overall "story" threads. Like they do 'join together' to an extent - items from one can be used for another, etc - but not enough to make that compelling, either.

Seems like it's gonna have to come down on one side or another here soon, and I'm guessing it'll be 'more random,' mostly because that's a lot easier than having to figure out all the if-then connective tissue more cohesion would require.

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
Is "puzzle horror" an established thing? Like, the mechanics of a puzzle game + something looking for you (rather than resource management). I think that's the central conceit of Frictional games, like Amnesia or SOMA, but I remember a lot people complaining about that gameplay and calling it dated. I don't know where it's been done before, or where it goes wrong, cause it sounds fun on paper.

EDIT: I looked back a page and saw a good overview of SOMA's flaws. Is it more the hiding part that's boring, not the running part?

FalconImpala fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 9, 2020

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

FalconImpala posted:

Is "puzzle horror" an established thing? Like, the mechanics of a puzzle game + something looking for you (rather than resource management). I think that's the central conceit of Frictional games, like Amnesia or SOMA, but I remember a lot people complaining about that gameplay and calling it dated. I don't know where it's been done before, or where it goes wrong, cause it sounds fun on paper.

EDIT: I looked back a page and saw a good overview of SOMA's flaws. Is it more the hiding part that's boring, not the running part?
Adventure games that do horror are the closest I could thing of to something like that, The Cat Lady is the first example that comes to mind. There may be more and newer ones, but I haven't looked for a lot lately.

To be fair to SOMA, they did monsters pretty well, like al-azad mentioned, they have some really well executed hiding and chase sequences. It's more a personal problem of mine that I'm completely over stealth horror games, Alien: Isolation was the last one for me and I just have no patience for them any more. Also SOMA comes with a Safe difficulty mode that makes the monsters basically harmless now and all but eliminates the chasing and hiding sequences, so that took away all my issues with the game.

SOMA has some very light puzzles that would barely even qualify as puzzles, especially to people used to adventure games. I liked them though, they fit in perfectly and it was another way to give some player agency and keep you engaged.

I finally finished replaying SOMA and drat, it still hit as hard as the first time, maybe even more so now because I followed everything a lot more easily this time and didn't have so many long gaps in between playing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Another horror confession, haven't played more than 30 minutes of Alien Isolation lol. I think after Soma I'll pick that up next but everyone's description of the Alien AI is turning me off which leads me to my next point

FalconImpala posted:

The problem with stealth games as a genre is that it's very difficult to communicate with the player the rules of your stealth mechanics. The more realistic you want your game the more opaque the mechanics are. People complain that the alien is too realistic which yeah, if a predator knew you were in the area they would just camp but that doesn't make for a fun game.

For me Soma communicated its monsters exceptionally well. Avoid this guy's line of sight light. This guy is blind but looking at him attracts his attention. This guy is blind but his hearing is so good he can pinpoint your flashlight click a room away. This guy is really fast but looking at him causes him to freeze. There are very few stealth games I can say communicate their enemies as well as Soma and it does so through very little observation.

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"

al-azad posted:

Another horror confession, haven't played more than 30 minutes of Alien Isolation lol. I think after Soma I'll pick that up next but everyone's description of the Alien AI is turning me off which leads me to my next point

I recommend the Unpredictable Alien Mod.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/unpredictable-alien-mod
I had fun in Isolation cause those rules are communicated pretty well, and its not TOO hard to avoid the alien. By 'realistic' it learns from the things you've tried, and more behaviors are unlocked with each level to help that illusion. This mod is subtle and gives the alien a huge patrol range & more breaks. Rather than being on your rear end the whole time, it's more like the alien is all over the whole station and sometimes bumps into you, which imo is a lot scarier, but less intense.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

While others have already into more detail about it, yes, "run away and hide" horror of that type has been a sort of sub-genre or trend in horror for a while now. Although it has been massively overshadowed by Amnesia and SOMA at this point, it was actually started by the Penumbra series, which was originally published in 2001. The games were successful and well-regarded enough that they have strongly shaped horror trends in the almost twenty years since. As an "established thing," it's not old in the sense that genre labels like action or RPG are, but it has been going for a while and as with many long-lived trends like that, some people are starting to get quite sick of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

al-azad posted:

The game basically calls you a scared widdle baby if you don't play on Hard but I found out much later that all higher difficulties do is reduce the leash range on the alien, making it more predictable and thus annoying instead of scary. So I'd recommend playing the game on Normal if you have to.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I hate it when games do that. People want different experiences for their entertainment! Stop shaming them for it! It's the year of our lord 2020, cringe is dead, hardcore gaming is dead, long live the new flesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol I bailed on Isolation after getting tired of sneaking around and fighting people. Just let me sneak around and fight get killed by a dang alien, game! :arghfist:
I suppose I should pick it back up again sometime.