Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

BioEnchanted posted:

OK, thanks, I'll keep exploring on my own then, just wanted to check. I've got all three Nail Arts, so it's not like I'm not exploring thoroughly :P

Without spoilers:
You've probably found as far west as you can go. But you can always try going further east or further downwards.
You don't actually need the tram pass to get further east, though the other way there is hidden.
Try searching around Deepnest for the tram pass if you didn't find it in your first search.
edit: Oh, if you have your third nail art then you've been to Kingdom's Edge already! That's the eastern point. Though if you hear buzzing, maybe there's a secret entry somewhere...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

bewilderment posted:

Without spoilers:
You've probably found as far west as you can go. But you can always try going further east or further downwards.
You don't actually need the tram pass to get further east, though the other way there is hidden.
Try searching around Deepnest for the tram pass if you didn't find it in your first search.
edit: Oh, if you have your third nail art then you've been to Kingdom's Edge already! That's the eastern point. Though if you hear buzzing, maybe there's a secret entry somewhere...

I've found the boss that's on the way to the area so I know where it is now, I figured it out after beating Broken Vessel and getting the double jump. Haven't gone too far into Deepnest, kind of saving those bosses til later. Currently trying to fight the [spoiler]Enraged Crystal Guardian to see what's beyond him, I have 8 masks of health but he does two per hit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
More things that drive me nuts about Kingmaker: hidden quest timers. A lot of quests will just, without any hint, make you wait X number of days before they complete and give you zero indication of when poo poo happens. So I have this companion quest to send three people off to do a number of tasks, and I have to do it before a certain point or the whole chain fails. Except the game does't tell me how long each task takes or when they're back. It just relies on me checking in every so often. It's also doubly frustrating because there are quests that expire without warning too, I just lost access to one of the artisans, NPCs who produce some of the best items in the game, because I didn't do his quest fast enough. And by fast enough it meant in three days. I went from that town, down to another location so I could do his quest and another guy in the same town's quest at the same time to save myself some time. But no, his quest has expired before I even reached the location to get this other guy his stupid flower, and it was literally just two days away!

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls - although there's no other kind now:

I've never played a Seasonal character before, but I caught a levelling bug so I decided to play the new Season (Season 20). After a while, you can get rewards like cosmetics (the current season gets you wings, and - after completing all the tasks, a bat pet; I'm not going to get the pet, but I've got the wings) - however, the tier of rewards for the wings is the same one that gives you the third part of a class set. The set's abilities are extremely powerful, to the point of being absurd: I'm playing Demon Hunter, and the set makes a wide AoE damage ability (Rain of Vengeance) grant you a boost of 14000% normal damage (applies to the ability, too) for 10 seconds. The ability AoE lasts for a few seconds (from 3 to 8, depending on the rune) and you can recharge the ability, which is normally on a cooldown, by using different attacks (also a part of the set bonus). Which means you'll probably be able to cast it again very soon, maybe even before it's finishied - and that refreshes the 14000% damage bonus.

Simply put, no matter what items I find (and I can raise the difficulty to great levels now - I can't survive much, but I can kill everything in a few seconds, as long as it doesn't have a scripted interruption), I can spare only a few equipment slots before I take off the items that would make the set bonus disappear, and why would I do that? So I've just been running around, killing bosses, finishing Rifts and bounties and collecting items and crafting supplies, waiting for the Season to end so that the inventories merge and I can level up a different class using a Hellfire amulets/rings and collected legendary/ancient items. It's still fun, but I've been in this "I'm finished with this build" situation before :ohdear:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've already talked about how NetherRealm can't put together a user-friendly tutorial to save their life, but I picked up Mortal Kombat 11 and it's still true. They're the only company I've ever seen who think that a solid inclusion into a 'basic tutorial' is 'perform these really specific combos perfectly with no feedback for failure whatsoever'. With this one I slammed my head against one of their required combos so hard that I accidentally found better, easier combos in the process.

But also they put popular characters into story mode cutscenes that aren't in the game, and that's just mean. They got me all excited to see Sektor, and yet he's nowhere near playable, don't play with me like that!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Sektor
Misread that as "Skeletor" and got really excited for a moment.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sunswipe posted:

Misread that as "Skeletor" and got really excited for a moment.

Considering loving Robocop is in MK now, give it time.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

marshmallow creep posted:

How about bring in both Skeletor and Skullmageddon.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I tried playing Enter the Gungeon again after bouncing off it a few years ago. It's weird that they made this game with hundreds of cool guns but then they desperately try to prevent you from finding or using any of them. I tried 5 runs with the marine and in 4 of them even spending all my money on keys and still found almost entirely passive items with minor or totally inscrutable effects, and maybe 1 gun per run that seemed no better than your starting pea shooter. I had one good run where I found lots of cool guns and got to the fourth floor, why can't they all be like that.

Frustrated with leaving a bunch of chests unopened I tried the pilot character who starts with a lockpick. The game describes it as a chance to open any chest for free without using a key. What they don't mention is that if it fails you can't ever open the chest even if you do have a key. I'm not sure what the chance of success is, but going off a sample size of 4 chests it appears to be 0%. So ironically I actually opened even fewer chests as the character with the lockpick, and his starting pea shooter is worse than the marine's.

Also if you don't pick up any ammo immediately it will be stolen with a taunting note left behind when you return to the room. Very fun and necessary mechanic, that.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Moon Monster posted:

I tried playing Enter the Gungeon again after bouncing off it a few years ago. It's weird that they made this game with hundreds of cool guns but then they desperately try to prevent you from finding or using any of them. I tried 5 runs with the marine and in 4 of them even spending all my money on keys and still found almost entirely passive items with minor or totally inscrutable effects, and maybe 1 gun per run that seemed no better than your starting pea shooter. I had one good run where I found lots of cool guns and got to the fourth floor, why can't they all be like that.

Frustrated with leaving a bunch of chests unopened I tried the pilot character who starts with a lockpick. The game describes it as a chance to open any chest for free without using a key. What they don't mention is that if it fails you can't ever open the chest even if you do have a key. I'm not sure what the chance of success is, but going off a sample size of 4 chests it appears to be 0%. So ironically I actually opened even fewer chests as the character with the lockpick, and his starting pea shooter is worse than the marine's.

Also if you don't pick up any ammo immediately it will be stolen with a taunting note left behind when you return to the room. Very fun and necessary mechanic, that.

Of the two chests in their own rooms on each floor, one is guaranteed to be a gun, the other is not a gun (either an active or passive). Every floor. Chests that drop for clearing a room can be either, so if you open a chest that dropped and one of the two fixed chests you may just have been unlucky. I bounced off the Gungeon really hard back in the day, but they have very much loosened the slots on keys and ammo compared to where they were at launch. Now there is almost always at least one key for sale in the shop, and they drop more frequently (as does ammo). If you are wanting to get into it, I'd recommend the Hunter as a starting character. 1) Her passive (the dog) will sometimes dig up extra keys/ammo/hearts for you, and more keys = more better, and 2) if you are only getting trash for guns her crossbow is completely capable of carrying you through the first 2 floors before it starts to get seriously outclassed by enemies.

The lockpick has a 50% chance of working, you just got unlucky. Which is a problem with procedurally generated games, you can have bad runs by sheer RNG, and its entirely possible to have a bunch of them in a row. Unlikely, but still possible. I've been getting back into Gungeon recently (only thing I need to do to plat the base game is beat the 6th chamber/the liche. Managed it once with the Paradox... only to find out that the game doesnt count beating it with the Paradox as beating the 6th chamber. I was not happy.)

There are still problems with Enter the Gungeon (the Rat stealing poo poo is dumb. Honestly I'm not that fussed about ammo, but you can by default only hold one active item, and it wouldnt break the game to allow the player to teleport to the shop, sell their active item to the grating creep, then teleport back to pick up the new one, but nope, rat is too fast for you to do that... Also if you proceed the requirements to unlock short cuts to later floors get frankly ludicrous. And really once you have unlocked the secret floors they should remain unlocked for future runs instead of you needing to unlock them on any run you want to visit them) And, much like other roguelike games, the item pool at the start is puny compared to some of the poo poo you can unlock later on. If you dont want to soldier on with it, fair enough, but honestly once you kind of get into the groove with it (and especially when you unlock some of the better guns for the pool) its a great game overall.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Would work better in Soul Calibur. But holy poo poo would work so well in Soul Calibur.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They did that MotU/DC crossover a few years back, it's honestly not absurd to think him or He-Man could show up in a future MK/Injustice game. But seriously if you look at the guest lists from MK9 and on nothing is off the table

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Retro Futurist posted:

They did that MotU/DC crossover a few years back, it's honestly not absurd to think him or He-Man could show up in a future MK/Injustice game. But seriously if you look at the guest lists from MK9 and on nothing is off the table

The main question with crossover characters in Mortal Kombat is whether the IP holder is okay with poo poo like this happening to the character.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Little Things Dragging This Game Character's Body Apart

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cythereal posted:

The main question with crossover characters in Mortal Kombat is whether the IP holder is okay with poo poo like this happening to the character.

If I may Genius at Work myself here:

It's clear as day that Baraka's arm bone things in those scenes are ROUND and just pointy at the tip, clearly not sharp on the edges like a sword, and yet he slices effortlessly with them.

Bunch of horsehit if you ask me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Little Things Dragging This Game Character's Body Apart

https://twitter.com/Toxicoow/status/1122511511937781761

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I am going to throw an absolute shitfit if the Switch version doesn't incorporate this.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Cythereal posted:

Unlike Joker, He-Man has always been for kids, so I don't see that happening. Unless there's gritty Frank Miller-esque He-Man comics I am unaware of.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I bet if Mortal Kombat tried, they could get The Flintstones and Archie characters.

Neither of those IP holders give a crap what happens to the characters, since they're like 2 or 3 generations removed from the creators and are often times held by different members of families who hate each other.

The recent Flintstones comic from...DC(?) was extremely poignant. Fred and Barney were veterans of a genocidal war against the "tree people" and their Water Buffalo lodge was basically a veterans PTSD support group. I think it also had a lot of lefty/worker's rights issues incorporated into it.

Archie has already met The Punisher, The Predator, had several alternate version of Riverdale where various people die, including Archie himself, etc...

I mean, look at the Riverdale TV show...in the first episode, they have Archie gently caress Ms.Grundy, who is now a hot twenty-something teacher, and one of the red-headed twins probably killed her brother during some weird "incest gone bad" scenario?

I have literally only seen the first ep, so I'm sure by now they've resolved how that brother died and if they were/were not loving, but they heavily implied in that pilot that they were loving, and that she did kill him.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 01:08 on May 9, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lmao

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Just put the creepy realistic Sonic in Mortal Kombat 11

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The real thing dragging down Mortal Kombat 11 is that I can't play as Ferra Torr.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cythereal posted:

Injustice doesn't do fatalities for just that reason

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The crazy open yet specific doors Mortal Kombat has for guest characters, and how well they do all their guests (well, in presentation, some of them are a little 'meh' moveset-wise), means that you can make some crazy guesses for them and still be excited when you're wrong.

My one hope for an MK11 guest has been the Gremlins. But every time I've had that denied I've been happy to see who they brought instead.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So, i really love remnant: from the ashes, its probably gonna be the first game i get all the achievements in, but holy crap does it have some miserable design decisions sonetimes.

The big one is that the things in each of the four zones is randomized, so if you make a adventure instance you get one of four minibosses, one of two world bosses, and then one of like, six at a minimum different other assorted side areas. While this is already frustrating since you can't know what you got until you actually see it (at least while the outside tool to do so is broken, but you shouldn't need that) it gets worse with how obtuse stuff can get.

For more specific stuff, one armor set can only be found in a very specific area by using a teleporter to randomly teleport until you get into a locked room, a trait requires you to get a specific event where that only happens in multiplayer, rarely, in the first area, but none compare to the pain in the butt that is carapace armor.

To get the components to actually buy the armor first you need to kill black beetles, and only one of them spawn in certain dungeons that are usually not there. You also need three of what they drop for the whole set, and sometimes a red beetle that drops a ok ring spawns instead, and it can still spawn after you get the ring

After you have the components, you gotta actually find the merchant, which is a side zone with this thing called a brain bug, but of course you cant just talk to it. If you enter its area just becomes hostile, what you actually have to do is get infected with a parasite from one specific enemy, and then you can finally talk to it and get the armor.

Mostly i find this really frustrating because aside from the obtuseness, the need to get parts from a very spesific thing for armor never happens anywhere else in game and without it it would be a neat weird thing, the armor is not particularly overpowered, its a niche thing, so why is it so difficult to get.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Not sure if I would call it a little thing, but Ico's combat is incredibly bad.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I recently started playing Robot shooty-bang game generation Zero and found a rather interesting immersion breaker.

The game supposes that you have been on a camping trip and have returned to a world devoid of humans that has been taken over by roaming robots.

While exploring the game tries to do a Bethesda and do some environmental story telling with discovering arranged corpses and destroyed robots , or rebel encampments etc etc

I keep finding campsites with campfires and food on them or Cars with their headlights on, implying some amount of rapid shock and awe tactics by the robots (1-2 days). I also am finding ad hoc rebel encampments that have been constructed out of scrap and burnt out rusted cars, implying a longer drawn out battle (2 weeks to a month)

These conflicting datums stand independent of each other geographically but it has made getting into the admittedly scant story that much harder.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
Gears of war tactics is a lot of fun, with a very irritating first boss. Games pretty easy in a very fun way right up until that point, then ta dah! Huge beastie with a million hit points, four different attacks, several different parts to damage AND 3 E-holes spawning trash enemies all at the same time! You can only attack his back which he defends with each succesful hit, oh and he launches rockets at the end of each turn to force you to move and waste a load of action points, so realistically you only get one attack per turn per character to chisel his enormous health bar, providing he's facing the right way and not stepping on your head.

I don't mind a difficulty spike but jesus, could you at least lube me up a little before you throw the kitchen sink up there? It's not so much difficult as tiresome, it's like they threw everything they could think of in one boss to pad the fight out which seems really unnecessary this early in the game.

Edit: oh and I nearly forgot, the game auto saves halfway through the fight, I've had to restart several times now because it's autosaved literally ten seconds after everything's gone to poo poo and I'm in an unwinnable position. Thankyou game! I love you too!

RGX has a new favorite as of 09:07 on May 9, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I mean, look at the Riverdale TV show...in the first episode, they have Archie gently caress Ms.Grundy, who is now a hot twenty-something teacher, and one of the red-headed twins probably killed her brother during some weird "incest gone bad" scenario?

I have literally only seen the first ep, so I'm sure by now they've resolved how that brother died and if they were/were not loving, but they heavily implied in that pilot that they were loving, and that she did kill him.
I'm a season behind but she definitely didn't kill him and there was probably no incest.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate the bosses in Hollow Knight that do 2 health with one hit. They're annoying to fight because you have way fewer opportunities to make mistakes in a way that feels kind of cheap.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Jestery posted:

I recently started playing Robot shooty-bang game generation Zero and found a rather interesting immersion breaker.

The game supposes that you have been on a camping trip and have returned to a world devoid of humans that has been taken over by roaming robots.

While exploring the game tries to do a Bethesda and do some environmental story telling with discovering arranged corpses and destroyed robots , or rebel encampments etc etc

I keep finding campsites with campfires and food on them or Cars with their headlights on, implying some amount of rapid shock and awe tactics by the robots (1-2 days). I also am finding ad hoc rebel encampments that have been constructed out of scrap and burnt out rusted cars, implying a longer drawn out battle (2 weeks to a month)

These conflicting datums stand independent of each other geographically but it has made getting into the admittedly scant story that much harder.

It's funny you say Bethesda because that was an issue I had with specifically Fallout 3 too; it felt like they hadn't fully discussed the "200 years later" part of the setting. You're asking me to believe that, say, Little Lamplight has managed to keep this up for two centuries?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tiggum posted:

I'm a season behind but she definitely didn't kill him and there was probably no incest.

I think it says a lot that, for a show that's so unafraid of being up-front, the best we can say about the Blossoms is that there probably wasn't incest.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

In Gears of War: Tactics there's an option to toggle off "mature content" which says it gets rid of strong language. I was hoping it would make my squad of beef monsters start saying stuff like "holy smokes" or "dang it to heck" but instead it censors it with a static sound effect. Very dissapointing.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

In Gears of War: Tactics there's an option to toggle off "mature content" which says it gets rid of strong language. I was hoping it would make my squad of beef monsters start saying stuff like "holy smokes" or "dang it to heck" but instead it censors it with a static sound effect. Very dissapointing.

Censors like that are always funny to me. I started Berserk and the Band of the Hawk for the first time the other day and before I started it asked if I wanted to turn off the blood and gore. Who the gently caress bought a Berserk game hoping to not see blood and gore

I would switch it off sometimes for Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise because that made it look more like the show, though

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

small ghost posted:

It's funny you say Bethesda because that was an issue I had with specifically Fallout 3 too; it felt like they hadn't fully discussed the "200 years later" part of the setting. You're asking me to believe that, say, Little Lamplight has managed to keep this up for two centuries?

When I read this I thought, surely Little Lamplight is a relatively new development. Surely it's created by some escaped slave kids or something and has only been running for a decade or two. But no I checked the wiki and it's supposed to have been going since the the bombs dropped :doh:. I like Fallout 3, I think it gets a bad rap a bit especially when compared to NV but good lord is the writing dumb most of the time.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas have a lot of areas that look like bombs dropped a decade ago and no one has been there since.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Censors like that are always funny to me. I started Berserk and the Band of the Hawk for the first time the other day and before I started it asked if I wanted to turn off the blood and gore. Who the gently caress bought a Berserk game hoping to not see blood and gore

I would switch it off sometimes for Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise because that made it look more like the show, though

since japan has stricter rules about showing blood and gore they probably had to make a bloodless/goreless version anyway and figured, hey might as well throw it in as an option for the western release even if 5 people tops ever use it

Cleretic posted:

I think it says a lot that, for a show that's so unafraid of being up-front, the best we can say about the Blossoms is that there probably wasn't incest.

well, there was some incest, it was just accidental since neither polly or jason knew their great great grandfathers were brothers

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The Division 2 of all games does a better Fallout environment, some buildings look more nuclear-bomb-ruined than virus-deserted and people are still resettling relatively quickly

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Brother Entropy posted:

well, there was some incest, it was just accidental since neither polly or jason knew their great great grandfathers were brothers

Ah, the Iceland Dilemma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm very much enjoying XCOM: Chimera Squad, but drat these Emergency Missions feel really annoying and arbitrary. They're roughly analogous to Terror missions in the other games: Enemies are tearing poo poo up and attacking civilians, so you gotta get in there, take out the enemies, and make sure they don't kill too many civilians.

Only problem there: In Chimera Squad, maps tend to be quite a bit smaller in a way that means almost all civilians are in range of all enemies, and all enemies are on there and active from the start. So there's... really nothing stopping the enemy from just murking every civilian in sight from the word go. Each enemy can trivially kill a civilian with a single attack, and if you lose more than 3 it's instant game over. Now, usually the enemy AI is made to not do that and tends to prioritize your guys, but you've still got situations where you just unload into a guy, just barely not manage to kill him, and he'll turn around and execute a civvy to cause you to lose instantly.

Now, they're still generally quite winnable, but it does feel very gamey and arbitrary. Not so much like I'm actually proactively going in and taking charge of the situation, more like the enemies are just sort humouring me by not making me lose when they absolutely could do so at any moment.