Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

If any of y'all are actually going to check out Daikatana from that bundle make sure you get the 1.3 fan patch. It adds widescreen support, fixes some of the AI pathing issues, fixes the loading screen issue etc. It's also on sale at Humble right now for $1.39 if you just want Daikatana for some reason.

If you can push past the atrocious first couple of levels you'll find that it's a mediocre sprawling relic released far too late full of racist dialogue, bad enemy and weapon design that would probably be forgotten if not for the notorious marketing campaign. If you find yourself thinking "this isn't so bad" it's worth remembering that it came out a month before Deus Ex(also Ion Storm) and almost 2 years after the original Half-Life.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Insert name here posted:

Am I completely misreading this post or are you saying that you can't switch between units in XCOM? Because you totally canso I'm confused.

In Gears Tactics you can switch after having started doing actions with a unit. In XCOM, once you've started doing something with a soldier, you're locked in (right? now I'm questioning it).

Orv
May 4, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

In Gears Tactics you can switch after having started doing actions with a unit. In XCOM, once you've started doing something with a soldier, you're locked in (right? now I'm questioning it).

Yes, you must expend all AP on a unit in nuCOM 1/2 to use another.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

DatonKallandor posted:

Oh so it's like a queue system where all of your soldiers move after all of the orders are issued?

Because if i remember right, in xcom you aren't locked in if you haven't started a fight with the enemy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

No you aren’t

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The main reason I put down Terraria is because I found managing inventory and items and poo poo to be just maddening. I was hoping someone would make an Infinite Inventory mod or at least an Infinite Chest but as far as I know that never happened.

There's both an infinite (IIRC, might just be very large) and scrollable inventory mod, and an infinite chest mod in Magic Storage (https://terrariamods.gamepedia.com/Magic_Storage). I greatly prefer the latter - it gives you great storage options, but also requires moderate in-game resources to craft new storage quantities. It's not hard to get more storage than you'll ever need, after a while.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i cant remember the game but is about some friends who die and had to reclaim their souls or something? i hear it has a good story

also what are some of the best stories in game right now?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

anilEhilated posted:

More like sales expectations. If they had standards, something like Thi4f would have never come out.
Similarly: Mankind Divided, an obviously half-assed game. Not just talking about the story - a sequel hook was to be expected - but stuff like having fewer weapons than HR.

Terrible opening aside Mankind Divided is good. I played it for 50 hours, and the ending is fine, it's just clearly the middle one in a trilogy so you don't get as much closure.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mankind Divided has the best gameplay of the series, story just kind of falls apart. I even think the DLC was a lot of fun.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zeta Acosta posted:

i cant remember the game but is about some friends who die and had to reclaim their souls or something? i hear it has a good story

Afterparty?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

that was the one, still no steam release

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 8, 2020

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i was honestly pretty disappointed by afterparty

comedy is obviously subjective but it was only occasionally funny instead of obnoxious. the more dramatic beats were decent but the game is primarily comedy so they were far and few between

also there was a main character who made a lot of comments like "haha well we all know you're going to pick the next option on your next playthrough so don't worry about it" but it wasn't even, like, a weird meta plot point? there isn't even any new game + content like oxenfree had? joke's on you, game, i don't really plan on ever playing you again

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Volte posted:

My only complaint is that some of the combat animations feel like the devs are just loving with you, like one second an enemy will barely be able to hoist their massive hammer onto their shoulder, and then the next second they're doing a rapier-like flurry and pirouetting mid-attack just to fake you out and throw off your parry timing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ace Combat 7 trip report: finished two missions. Planted my Falcon in the ground 8+ times. Gamepad turning somehow always ends up with my plane's nose pointing downwards.

A quick question here: I like the European planes in the roster since I'm a sucker for delta wings but they seem underwhelming statwise (just by comparing the bars, mind you - haven't actually unlocked anything yet) and that branch of the tree seems to end in the rather unexciting F-22 compared to futuristic superplanes in the American and Russian branches. Am I crippling myself if I go for the EU planes?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 8, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EUs aren't god-tier superplanes but they're solid, with some neat toys like HCAAs and LACMs. You will probably want that F-22 if you start chasing after S-ranks.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 8, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

anilEhilated posted:

Ace Combat 7 trip report: finished two missions. Planted my Falcon in the ground 8+ times. Gamepad turning somehow always ends up with my plane's nose pointing downwards.

A quick question here: I like the European planes in the roster since I'm a sucker for delta wings but they seem underwhelming statwise (just by comparing the bars, mind you - haven't actually unlocked anything yet) and that branch of the tree seems to end in the rather unexciting F-22 compared to futuristic superplanes in the American and Russian branches. Am I crippling myself if I go for the EU planes?

Question, you're playing with expert controls, yeah?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

anilEhilated posted:

Every plane is good, and the Rafale and Eurofighter in particular are both extremely solid workhorses that don't have anything particularly spicy loadout wise but work very well. The F-22 is tied with the Su-57 for best (non-super) plane in the game too so it's good to pick up.

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm like, 90% sure that's not true but also it has been a long time since I've played nuXCOM so I can't confirm.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Whoever’s saying you can’t switch units in new XCom must be misremembering, because the only thing that locks a unit out is using both actions. Gears is only different in that shooting doesn’t end your turn.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

been on a bit of an older game kick. I saw that Resident Evil 4 was on sale a weekish ago so I picked it up. Played waaaayy back on the Gamecube when it first came out and never beat it so felt it was to fix that issue. drat this game is awesome. Controls are a bit awkward but once you get used to them its a thrilling action game with dashes of horror mixed in. I will never get sick of suplexing cultists either. Managed to actually finish it this time and im already sizing up a professional run through.

Before I do that tho, I want to beat another classic that I never finished before, Deus Ex, the original. Thankfully I already own the Game of the Year edition. I recall that there might be some fan patch that fixes minor stuff. Is that something Ill want to look into, or is the game functional enough out of the box? Also, any tips or trap options I should avoid? I've only ever beaten the 1st level before dropping it years ago so Im gonna start from scratch again here.

*edit* dont worry, def gonna grab dat GEP gun

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 9, 2020

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I've never played Deus Ex with any fan patches and it's still a fantastic experience.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

been on a bit of an older game kick. I saw that Resident Evil 4 was on sale a weekish ago so I picked it up. Played waaaayy back on the Gamecube when it first came out and never beat it so felt it was to fix that issue. drat this game is awesome. Controls are a bit awkward but once you get used to them its a thrilling action game with dashes of horror mixed in. I will never get sick of suplexing cultists either. Managed to actually finish it this time and im already sizing up a professional run through.

Before I do that tho, I want to beat another classic that I never finished before, Deus Ex, the original. Thankfully I already own the Game of the Year edition. I recall that there might be some fan patch that fixes minor stuff. Is that something Ill want to look into, or is the game functional enough out of the box? Also, any tips or trap options I should avoid? I've only ever beaten the 1st level before dropping it years ago so Im gonna start from scratch again here.

I believe Biomod or Shifter are the generally recommended mods? New Vision also upscales the textures and makes the enviroment prettier.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think there's some graphics stuff worth grabbing now for the original Deus Ex but haven't looked into it. Mostly chiming in to say everyone is going to start saying grab their favorite rebalance mod (especially shifter or biomod) because its unplayable otherwise but you should ignore them. They aren't wrong that the base balance is a little weird in spots but I've never found a rebalance mod that didn't screw the balance up in some other author specific taste way.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I always play Deus Ex with Kentie's Deus Exe and D3D10 Renderer for stability/modern resolution stuff. Lots of people who have played the game to death already will recommend Biomod or something similar, but in my humble imho the vanilla game still has plenty to offer a complete newcomer.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lightningproof posted:

I always play Deus Ex with Kentie's Deus Exe and D3D10 Renderer for stability/modern resolution stuff. Lots of people who have played the game to death already will recommend Biomod or something similar, but in my humble imho the vanilla game still has plenty to offer a complete newcomer.

Same, vanilla plays nicer than a 20 year-old videogame has any right to.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

im not too worried about balance mods or whatever. The main issue is just getting it to scale properly on a 1440p monitor and stuff like that since its such an old game. I dont even care about hi-res textures, I just want basic functionality so it doesnt look all stretched out and crappy

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Too Shy Guy posted:

I've never played Deus Ex with any fan patches and it's still a fantastic experience.

Fan patches are important for some fixes, such as removing the awful static that some people get on every audio track. I'd highly recommend getting the Deus Exe launcher. That and the Direct 3D 10 mod give you most modern conveniences, fix most bugs and do not change a single thing in the game itself.

Anyway, trip report from Warhammer 40k: Gladius, the turn based 4X. I think it's excellent! It's a 4X stripped down to the bare bones, such that all you're doing is mashing units against eachother. Diplomacy isn't a thing, even between the Guard and Space Marines. You're only meant to have three or four cities by endgame (unless you're a Space Marine, in which case you'll only ever have one) so there's not much city management at all. Research is just "pick two from Tier N, get access to Tier N+1, repeat". Combat's quite simple too - some units have special abilities, they have different ranges, one unit per hex, if you've played Civ you'll get it. It's more a game of making sure your conveyor belt of troops is moving fast enough to jam the meatgrinder that is the enemy enough for you to nab a few extra outposts and other special tiles so you can keep pushing with an extra edge.

There are two major downsides - the AI is atrocious and the quest system is mind boggling terrible. Play multiplayer and disable quests. Quests are a series of objectives you can complete that'll give you bonuses, but they also let you win the game. Slight issue is that the ending quest for the Imperial Guard requires you to kill 20 extremely powerful units in 20 turns, and they'll spawn somewhere in the middle of your territory. If you don't kill them in time, you just lose. gently caress that. It doesn't even remotely try to telegraph the fact that that's coming, nor do you have any agency in determining the outcome of that questline. It's entirely linear.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

My son made me play Fortnite and I got dragged in kicking and screaming but man, this Deadmou5 concert that starts in a minute, if the leadup is anything to go by then I take back everything bad I ever said about this dumb game haha. They really know how to craft the sense of an event happening.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Whoever’s saying you can’t switch units in new XCom must be misremembering, because the only thing that locks a unit out is using both actions. Gears is only different in that shooting doesn’t end your turn.

I guess I must be misremembering then. Maybe it just feels that way because XCOM has so many end-your-turn abilities and almost all shooting does it too.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Cactus posted:

My son made me play Fortnite and I got dragged in kicking and screaming but man, this Deadmou5 concert that starts in a minute, if the leadup is anything to go by then I take back everything bad I ever said about this dumb game haha. They really know how to craft the sense of an event happening.

What exactly happens when they do this? Does play just stop and everyone stands in a crowd or do you run around blasting each other with a concert in the skybox?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Anonymous Robot posted:

What exactly happens when they do this? Does play just stop and everyone stands in a crowd or do you run around blasting each other with a concert in the skybox?

I don't play it myself so this is only second-hand information, but they put in a hang-out mode without fighting, and I believe the concert is taking place solely in that mode.

Mind you, they've run concerts in Fortnite before this mode too, so I don't know how those worked either.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Anonymous Robot posted:

https://youtu.be/U-gpVqMd7wE

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

In the last one yeah, kinda. You logged in about 15 mins before the event and if you died you immediately respawned in the same match. So no-one really bothered killing anyone after a bit, and then you all go to the area where the thing is happening and build massive structures to get a good view. Then when it starts all weapons are disabled, and it was like being on a mushroom or DMT trip or something. Afterwards, weapons came back but the respawn mechanic stayed so you were left with a few stragglers and loads of structures on a map where you could never truly die until you manually ended the match.

This one is its own mode, you pick Party Royale from the menu and load in. All weapons are disabled and it's a unique map. There's a concert with a big screen and jump pads and music pumping out and everyone is just chilling and jumping around. I don't think the actual concert has started yet I think it's GMT+1 so I was an hour early lol. I'm looking forward to doing this with my 8-year old son tomorrow.

Its started. The "live" concert is a video of the DJ in question doing their set and it being broadcast on the big screen in-game, and it coming out of my speakers here really really loud. It's pretty cool check it out, it's totally free after all!

Edit 2: Epic are being really clever introducing a social thing like this in the quarantine. I can see stuff like this getting copied and becoming a thing.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 9, 2020

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

You could look up Deus Ex: Revision. It is also available as a free download on Steam.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I cannot nerd about this hard enough: Do not play Revision on your first playthrough. Personally I would say don't play it at all, but that's just my opinion. This is because the level design is a massive part about why Deus Ex is good, and Revision completely alters basically every level to be extremely different. I do not believe the Revision team knows what makes Deus Ex levels good.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Pathologic 2 doesn't run so well on my PC, should I play the HD remaster of the first one instead or wait until I have a new PC?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
There been any good open world rpgs since skyrim and witcher 3? In the mood for one, but haven't heard of any really good ones coming out recently. Thinking about Greedfall, but I hear it's middling.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Attending a concert. I didn't get any pics of Deadmou5 but his set was good.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Failboattootoot posted:

There been any good open world rpgs since skyrim and witcher 3? In the mood for one, but haven't heard of any really good ones coming out recently. Thinking about Greedfall, but I hear it's middling.
Elex
AC Odyssey (kinda)

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

Fallout 4? rear end Creed Origins, Odyssey? Fallout 76? The Outer Worlds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Fallout 4? rear end Creed Origins, Odyssey? Fallout 76? The Outer Worlds?

Played all of those, except fallout 76 because i'm not that crazy.