Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Did Pence bring it in after the Mayo clinic visit w/o a mask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The good ol' L shaped recovery

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

why do people believe that hospitals get money from the government for roni deaths

the same way they think that democrats pocket all the money from Obama care

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

nooneofconsequence posted:

it took months for the government to wrap its head around masks and ventilators, can you imagine the Manhattan project

We would just give Elon Musk a billion dollars, and he would produce nothing.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

FDR should've disbanded Congress in 1932 and just gone full communist.

he passed the new deal to prevent a communist revolution

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

cum infections indeed

no baby I caught the roni from some bitch coughing on me at the store, I would never cheat on you baby!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

L is for liberal
that spreads lies all the time
and sells you capital
dreams that are bald class crime

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

twoday posted:

that's what happens when you don't smoke

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

indigi posted:

why do people believe that hospitals get money from the government for roni deaths

the theory goes that FEMA pays $39k to hospitals that kill their patients and blame COVID19. no one ever sues for malpractice, none of the doctors or techs or nurses ever let the cat out of the bag. I can't find any legit info either way on this after at least two minutes of staring listlessly at google hits so it might even be true :shrug:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

Lol that friend should loving :sever: before her husband calls ICE on her own students

Giving how gendered our politics are, I'm going to say there are probably 5-10 million marriages/long term relationships where right and left wing folks are together.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

One thing I'm not sure about is how unemployment was measured in the depression era vs now.

Like back then you either had a full time job or you didn't have a job. Casual work, gig economy stuff, contracting and so on wasn't really a thing then.

The reason we like to measure unemployment is that historically it's been a useful measure of the health of an economy, however if it isn't picking up those casual/gig workers etc then it's definitely understating the true economic effect the virus is having on the workforce.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“casual” work and gig poo poo def existed back then

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zeroisanumber posted:

Would pay thousands for that frog.

You could probably get someone from Etsy to do a recreation of it for like, $150 easy

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

L is for liberal
that spreads lies all the time
and sells you capital
dreams that are bald class crime

there once was an economic system,
that was so big that you couldn't miss 'em.
then coronavirus tore
through the working class poor
and the rich honestly didn't even miss 'em.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

“casual” work and gig poo poo def existed back then

they were called "odd jobs"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the laws that uber and lyft evade were created to combat the same gig economy nonsense they always happens when capital captures employment regulation

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

You could probably get someone from Etsy to do a recreation of it for like, $150 easy

hmmm, idk why I haven't thought to do this before, but I need to do some SA-centric buttons, magnets, and bottle openers, especially now that the election is basically over unless biden dies. the frog would be a great candidate

I have 24 hours of free time a day, so I should probably be being more productive with regards to making new designs, but lmao. just lmao at being productive

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

euphronius posted:

pence and fat guy wouldn’t go down at the same time so the senate would get a replacement vp in before President pelosi

The House and Senate have to agree though

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Want some COVID hot goss straight from the ICU?

I talked to an ICU PA tonight, and there's a theory going around that the reason COVID patients on ventilators are dying at a documented 80%+ rate might be because the vents are possibly initiating or worsening cytokine storms. Unlike the usual ARDS where you can use high pressure to push back against the transudate in the alveoli, for COVID there's no spill over, instead it's interstitial edema causing swelling and decreased blood perfusion. So the V/Q mismatch is more Q than V, so venting patients with crazy high pressures does dick all since there's no blood around to actually carry the O2 to tissues, and all that pressure from the vent causes further injury and worsening of outcomes. Oops!

I don't even want to think of the number of patients we sent to get vented early because that's the standard of care for ARDS.

My chief resident buddy was running a COVID vent farm a couple weeks back and he said he was "running a mortuary." Yep.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Also, don't rescind your mom's DNI/DNR at 10PM after two days of hypoxia in the 40-60s while on comfort care. We just tubed a brain stem, not a person. Her grey matter is now sludge.

gently caress this virus, gently caress delusional families.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

The House and Senate have to agree though

ur right

rip

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MadJackal posted:

I talked to an ICU PA tonight, and there's a theory going around that the reason COVID patients on ventilators are dying at a documented 80%+ rate might be because the vents are possibly initiating or worsening cytokine storms. Unlike the usual ARDS where you can use high pressure to push back against the transudate in the alveoli, for COVID there's no spill over, instead it's interstitial edema causing swelling and decreased blood perfusion. So the V/Q mismatch is more Q than V, so venting patients with crazy high pressures does dick all since there's no blood around to actually carry the O2 to tissues, and all that pressure from the vent causes further injury and worsening of outcomes. Oops!

I don't even want to think of the number of patients we sent to get vented early because that's the standard of care for ARDS.

My chief resident buddy was running a COVID vent farm a couple weeks back and he said he was "running a mortuary." Yep.

Well poo poo what else is even a treatment for ards?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Interstitial Edema is a pretty good forum name

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

MadJackal posted:

lmao

cracking and pinging over here

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

when I wrote living wills I always counseled clients to make them mandatory dnrs and to not give their health care poas power to revoke

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

you're in the NYC megaarea, right? how's the case load nowadays now that NYC is tapering off?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Zberan Madowinty posted:

Having them sleep on their stomach?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
living will/advance directive/dn(whatever) goons can you make one that just covers "kill me if im just a brainstem and sludge" without ruling out stuff that in a fluke circumstance could bring you right back around to life?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm a stomach sleeper natural, owned ards

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Unironic RIP

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Inceltown posted:

lmao

cracking and pinging over here

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

shovelbum posted:

living will/advance directive/dn(whatever) goons can you make one that just covers "kill me if im just a brainstem and sludge" without ruling out stuff that in a fluke circumstance could bring you right back around to life?

yes

I mean it is state specific

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Zberan Madowinty posted:

gently caress if I know. Lasix and prayer?

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

lol

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1258927559733100544?s=21

:gary:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is this real

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Is there one with the UK on it?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Google Butt posted:

I'm a stomach sleeper natural, owned ards

rip to your spine

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is there one with the UK on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Google Butt posted:

Is this real

Yes. When placed on the back more work is needed to get the lungs to fully inflate.