Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Does the thread have a go to recipient for sourdough discard pizza crust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, me. Send them to me.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

I usually make my regular mix and know it just won't rise as much, nor do I wait around for it. 1:2:3 method - that's 1 part 100% hydration starter, two parts water, three parts flour(s), about 1.3-1.5% total weight in salt. I make around 300g for a medium pizza. Still figuring out how much salt to use... 1.5% is probably too high.

dedian fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 8, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I don’t to home made pizza often so an actual recipe with directions would be good. I’m just looking for new ways to recycle discard.

I’ve found some online but they vary pretty wildly in what they have you do.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Anyone have good uses for the extra whey liquid from making Greek yogurt?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my starter finally was ready a couple days ago, here is loaf 2. Let it autolyze, then balled and left overnight, then made into another ball and let proof on counter for 2 hrs. I think I overproofed and slightly underbaked. It's tasty though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Spikes32 posted:

Use it instead of water when baking.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Is there a smell associated with *over*feeding sourdough starter? Maybe the lack of activity I'm seeing is that? Should I put off feeding until it expands and starts to contract? Will it definitely rise after a big feed with enough time? I'm might not be quite warm enough at night.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don’t to home made pizza often so an actual recipe with directions would be good. I’m just looking for new ways to recycle discard.

I’ve found some online but they vary pretty wildly in what they have you do.

Part of the issue is that "discard" can vary in texture and content between people thanks to microbial makeup, age of starter, age of discard, etc. Really, I tend to make most of my pizzas around 65% hydration. Just add a big scoop of discard to your dough and proceed like normal. One thing to keep in mind is that discard is full of proteases and amylases so you don't necessarily want to do super long ferments (like more than a day). Most pizza doughs are better the second day.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is there a smell associated with *over*feeding sourdough starter? Maybe the lack of activity I'm seeing is that? Should I put off feeding until it expands and starts to contract? Will it definitely rise after a big feed with enough time? I'm might not be quite warm enough at night.

Less sour? By overfeeding I assume you mean feeding too often? That can dilute the 'sourness' of your starter, but the only other smells should be yeasty/bready.

If you feed it often days and days on end, you can dilute the number of lactobacteria to the point where the starter is more susceptible to inoculation by spoilage bacteria, but that's a separate issue.

edit:

Spikes32 posted:

You can actually shortcut sourdough starters by making a 1:1 mixture of flour:water, add some commercial yeast, and add your yogurt whey. You'll have a useable starter that day, and it's basically no-fail. You can also use whey with active cultures to jumpstart any vegetable ferments, or to replace buttermilk in any recipe.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 9, 2020

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Tried my gluten free starter again, this time with a ratio of 2:1 gf flour: chickpea flour. Results speak for themselves:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

X13Fen posted:

Tried my gluten free starter again, this time with a ratio of 2:1 gf flour: chickpea flour. Results speak for themselves:

that looks delicious! do you mind sharing the recipe? my wife has celiac

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

X13Fen posted:

How much does it cost every time you feed the thing? yikes.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is anybody else in here playing with soy lecithin now? I used about 1% in separate pizza, baguette, and kolache doughs. The problem is each of those doughs had different flours so I can't completely tell what did what quite yet. The pizza dough came out especially well, but I also had added some oil this time. I'm shifting from a Neapolitan dough to a New York pizza dough despite still use Italian type 00 flour. My wife thought it was the best pizza I ever made, and I've made hundreds over the decade between two different ovens. She definitely prefer New York pizza to Neapolitan.

The kolache dough was spectacular. It was very puffy and soft. I don't know how authentic that is but it made for a fantastic dessert. I don't know if the soy lecithin did anything for that because it's a completely new flour to me. I was using the Sonora flour from Barton Springs Mill. It has very little gluten. I think I once got this flour on accident from a local supermarket and made some comical pizzas from it. For kolaches, it's spectacular. It was another home run.

Given the softness of everything so far, I was surprised my baguette still had that teeth-pulling chew. So I'm guessing lecithin by itself won't turn everything puffy-soft like generic supermarket bakery bread. I consider this a good thing; I was afraid that bread would lose it's spunk. I suppose I'll know in a few days if the lecithin does anything to stave off staleness.

Edit: It's Sonora flour, not Sonoma flour.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 12, 2020

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I wrote this up in the corona cooking thread then saw this bread thread so X posting here

It's nothing special but it fits my schedule well and my partner and I eat it happily

Jestery posted:

I've been working on a little sour dough loaf recipe cos I figured why not

It goes as follows

Dissolve 0 - 10 grams sugar and ~ 35° (E 300ml) water

Mix sugar water with one cup of starter in large bowl until silken

Add 250 grams of flour and mix into slop

Add 5 grams salt and further 250 grams flour

Mix until wetish dough forms and work untill fully combined and it pulls away from bowl
2-5 minutes

Pour into lined loaf tin and allow to rise to slightly above loaf tin 10-24 hours depending on sugar amount and ambient temperature

Bake at 175° for 45 minutes

Notes.

I'm well aware that this lacks a second rise

I hate the feeling of dough on my hands and the bread that this produces is adequate for my morning breakfast and coffee

Jestery fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 9, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I can't believe how much trouble I'm having with starter.

I made a smaller starter to keep separately, but it developed dark speaks on top, mold? Heres a picture, it's been disturbed by me pouring some out. It smells more like I'd expect than the inactive on in the kitchen though.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

I can't believe how much trouble I'm having with starter.

I made a smaller starter to keep separately, but it developed dark speaks on top, mold? Heres a picture, it's been disturbed by me pouring some out. It smells more like I'd expect than the inactive on in the kitchen though.

eh yeah that doesn't look great :( When I first got mine going I put in some.. pineapple juice I think it was? Basically something a little acidic to help the good guys win over the bad guys while it was getting going. I think it was a technique from BBA: https://peterreinhart.typepad.com/peter_reinhart/2006/07/sourdough_start.html

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m not sure who it was who was asking about beer in bread but I’m reading an old recipe and thought of you. Being british it will mean stout or ale rather American style beer: “replace 1/3 to 1/2 of the liquid with beer, the alcohol will slow the yeast down but not kill it”

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Adventuring our on my own a bit.

Using FWSY poolish recipe but instead of making two boules I’m making one big one in a big Dutch oven and rather than preheat the Dutch oven I’m using the cold oven method with parchment lining.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

For Valentine’s Day we used a baking steel and this recipe https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-pizza-crust-recipe

And did a slow overnight fridge ferment to make these:

bartlebee fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 9, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Never thought I'd ever be so happy to find a bag of white whole wheat flour

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

dedian posted:

eh yeah that doesn't look great :( When I first got mine going I put in some.. pineapple juice I think it was? Basically something a little acidic to help the good guys win over the bad guys while it was getting going. I think it was a technique from BBA: https://peterreinhart.typepad.com/peter_reinhart/2006/07/sourdough_start.html

I actually just scooped off the dark stuff along with my discard, cleaned the tub, fed it and maybe 6 hours later now it's grown a quarter, maybe a third, no issue with the look or smell, so that's encouraging.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

poverty goat posted:

Never thought I'd ever be so happy to find a bag of white whole wheat flour

Why the gently caress are people panic-buying flour of all things? Did some Youtube idiot tell them to?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s not so much panic buying as a massive failure of “just in time”. The first thing everyone does in a lockdown to keep kids entertained is to make cake, bread and cookies. The mills have more than enough flour for this because they are no longer selling so much bulk flour to catering businesses, the problem is the flour packaging plants just can’t keep up with the increased demand for smaller bags. Mills in the U.K. are now selling in bulk to the public in person and via Amazon, and some supermarkets have just started bagging up the flour they use for their own bread for the general public.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

learnincurve posted:

It’s not so much panic buying as a massive failure of “just in time”. The first thing everyone does in a lockdown to keep kids entertained is to make cake, bread and cookies. The mills have more than enough flour for this because they are no longer selling so much bulk flour to catering businesses, the problem is the flour packaging plants just can’t keep up with the increased demand for smaller bags. Mills in the U.K. are now selling in bulk to the public in person and via Amazon, and some supermarkets have just started bagging up the flour they use for their own bread for the general public.

this is what my winco has been doing for a while now, since they closed the wonderful bulk bins. also big pre-weighed plastic bags of beans and coffee and other common items

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
And everyone is doing sourdough starters, which for most methods involves a ton of wasted flour.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Flour has stabilized a bit for me, but I haven't seen a pack of commercial yeast for sale since this started.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

learnincurve posted:

It's part this, part hoarders, and part it not being available so when people see it they figure they need more (even if they don't) because it's scarce and it flies off the shelves. I asked one of the guys at my local Aldi and they told me flour disappears within hours of them putting a delivery out on the floor on monday mornings, with everyone buying the max allowed.

If you need flour check out Costco. They've had the big 25lbs bags every time I've been there since this all started.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Murgos posted:

Adventuring our on my own a bit.

Using FWSY poolish recipe but instead of making two boules I’m making one big one in a big Dutch oven and rather than preheat the Dutch oven I’m using the cold oven method with parchment lining.

Took about 20 minutes longer to get to 207 internal than for the smaller boules. The crust was much lighter and more acceptable to my kids than the regular method while still having a nice crunch and flavor.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 9, 2020

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Time posted:

that looks delicious! do you mind sharing the recipe? my wife has celiac

Sure thing! Apologies for the delay. This is a two-day process, fyi:

520g baker's flour (I did 173g chickpea flour, 346g plain flour)
105g culture
365ml water
15g salt

Mix culture and water until combined. Add flour and salt and mix until just combined. Rest 5 mins. Knead for 5-8mins on a heavily floured surface (the dough acted a lot like playdoh for me here, so knead until you think it looks good. It will stick to your bench, even with a lot of flour.) Place into oiled bowl and cover with damp towl for an hour.

Stretch and fold the dough. Return to same oild bowl, cover again for two hours. Things get a bit trickier here since it won't act like normal dough. I basically used this as a sort of second knead. Scrape the dough toward you, shaping into a ball. Place into floured banneton/bowl, place in fridge overnight.

Preheat oven to 240C, with dutch oven in the oven to preheat as well, for an hour. After 30 mins take dough out of fridge.

At an hour, turn dough onto baking paper and score the dough. Place into hot dutch oven. Bake, covered, in dutch oven for 50 mins. Take out and resist the temptation to eat it immediately.

Nephzinho posted:

How much does it cost every time you feed the thing? yikes.

A bit, but it's not like I go out an buy the flour specially for this; it's a pantry staple for me.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Anne Whateley posted:

And everyone is doing sourdough starters, which for most methods involves a ton of wasted flour.

I do not understand this discard poo poo

Like I've found a method that works well enough for my needs just being a 500ml jar that I feed like a tablespoon of flour (or so) a day.

By the time I have a need for more bread I basically have enough new starter to cook with

Maybe at some point to retain purity of culture I might discard half but I just find it wholey unnecessary

Am I doing something wrong or risking something major?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Today’s sourdough (apologies for potato picture, only had iPad at hand):

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jestery posted:

I do not understand this discard poo poo

Like I've found a method that works well enough for my needs just being a 500ml jar that I feed like a tablespoon of flour (or so) a day.

By the time I have a need for more bread I basically have enough new starter to cook with

Maybe at some point to retain purity of culture I might discard half but I just find it wholey unnecessary

Am I doing something wrong or risking something major?

No, most internet instructions are terrible and super wasteful, it’s a pet peeve of mine

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

mediaphage posted:

No, most internet instructions are terrible and super wasteful, it’s a pet peeve of mine

Good.

i recently was sorting out a homebrew recipe and scaling anything when half the recipes are in imperial and written to be adjustable for like every 5 oz was so annoying.

why is it so hard to write a recipe to be scaleable to weight or volume.

thanks again and I feel your feelings too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jestery posted:

Good.

i recently was sorting out a homebrew recipe and scaling anything when half the recipes are in imperial and written to be adjustable for like every 5 oz was so annoying.

why is it so hard to write a recipe to be scaleable to weight or volume.

thanks again and I feel your feelings too

I will say that one exception is very long periods of rest (which don’t seem to apply to you) can lead to a buildup of amylases and proteases and using that can lead to gummy textures in your bread, especially if you do an extended ferment. But that’s an edge case.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Not "bread", per se, but they were made with yeast. Cinnamon-date sticky buns, per Sohla's video from Bon Appetit.

The dough was initially extremely sticky to work with and difficult to knead, but the rest of it post fridge-rise was a cinch. They were amazing and had me ruing giving a few to my neighbors.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Not "bread", per se, but they were made with yeast. Cinnamon-date sticky buns, per Sohla's video from Bon Appetit.

The dough was initially extremely sticky to work with and difficult to knead, but the rest of it post fridge-rise was a cinch. They were amazing and had me ruing giving a few to my neighbors.

Those look great!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've been subbing barley flour in increasing amounts in my sourdough breads:feelsgood:
Also made cinnamon rolls with some of the last batch.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeast is hard to find in the shops but fresh yeast blocks are on ebay at an alright price, obviously higher than usual but I’ve been buying from bakeries because the poor sods have to make some money somehow

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200g-25g-Extra-free-225g-Ultra-Fresh-bakers-Yeast/333580194060

Edit: What I actually came here to post before I got distracted. I got the kindle sample for Dan Lepard’s* short and sweet book and someone has royally screwed up and the sample is all of the bread recipes.

*who is on twitter btw and will happily engage and answer questions if you @ him

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 10, 2020

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Okay, my mixer is doing this every time. I've tried two different recipes, but they're both pretty wet -- white bread and some buns. Is that the issue? Is there any way to make these wet doughs without it wrapping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPXIJ9sN6Mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVtoTxdxGkA

I've tried taking it out of the mixer, forming into a ball, and dropping back in and nothing.

Edit: I went back and rewatched your videos, and it looks like the dough hook extender is sliding under the mass of dough - is that true? If so you plausibly have enough gluten development that you're done? Maybe try taking the extender off and seeing if it catches? IDK.

I said I was going to try this out and I did. I made something sort of like Sandwich bread with Joshua Weismann, which you posted in a later comment. It's definitely not wet - 40% hydration with some extra ease of handling from the fat. I skipped out on the butter, because meh, subbed water for milk because gently caress that, and I had leftover sourdough starter, so I used that in place of some of the flour and water. I also used high gluten flour instead of bread flour, which affects hydration a little bit, but should still be illustrative. In short, I made something only very loosely linked to the recipe for the sandwich bread. All the same, I wanted to see if it was dough size or what. And I don't have the dough hook extender nor the small bowl - this is a completely stock Bosch mixer. So anyway, on to the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ViEZqZCbbw
This is after the initial ingredient dump. You can see the sourdough starter is hanging out at the center column and the other ingredients are poorly incorporated and staying on the perimeter. After this, I mushed the two together with a knife so that the outer dry ingredients got hydrated better and started to autolyse. I walked away for about 30 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICkv8Kdk7C4
Then I came back and I might have poked at it with the knife, I'm not sure, but you can see that its a shaggy poorly incorporated mass. While it's not super well caught by the dough hook, it does catch some and start to get kneaded. I did a minute or two of this and then walked away for another 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk5U3IQYLWQ
When I'm doing a normal (for me) quantity of bread (1+ kg of flour), this is what I expect to see after the first two minutes of kneading and then 5-10 minutes of rest. It's very clearly developed some gluten and is getting smacked around by the mixer. Normally there's enough dough that it always hangs on to the center column and doesnt get mixed by the outer spokes like this one does at the end, but I imagined the dough was still getting some gluten development from that. 5 more minutes of rest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_p5cY7D6TI
I was curious if it would develop any more, and I probably could have stopped after the last bit of kneading. Maybe a minute of this, then into a banneton. Then I realized I was supposed to be making a sandwich loaf - I mean, a rustic country loaf inspired by sandwich loaves - and moved it into a bread pan. 4 or 5 hours later, I put it in a 375 degree oven for just over 35 minutes.

Then I brewed some beer, which does involve yeast but isn't bread.

Then I made some pizza, which is bread and might be a sandwich, depending on your philosophical orientations.

Then I got a crumb shot

So I didn't have a problem with too little volume dough, even without the extender or small bowl, but I cheated in that I started with some preferment that had plenty of gluten development already. And even so I had quite a long time of kneading and waiting. I expect that if I had doubled the recipe and made two loaves at once, I could have done 2-3 minutes of kneading, 5-10 minutes of rest, and then 2-3 more minutes of kneading and that would have been fine.

I used 200 grams of 100% starter, but you could do the same with just an autolysed sponge by putting the same mass each of flour and water in the fridge overnight and then baking with it the next day.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, well, I have rustic sandwich bread. I also have sourdough pancakes, because I did the math so loving wrong the first time I tried this and ended up with some 120+% hydration abomination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV5ccHZ0QPg

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

learnincurve posted:

One of the things that I've noticed when talking to friends is that my area, which I know to be significantly less served by grocery stores, is still having shortages of eggs and flour when compared to my friends' areas.