Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of Crisis core does anyone have a good LP recommendation for it? Looks like there was never a SA LP for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vinny played it a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlc94szfcNDHzy2YQ5d4vPEwXLlpiEhy-

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There is no way that sword would weight just 20 pounds, that's the same as a 10kg plate for reference

I would say it's closer to 60-80 pounds

It depends on the metal. Amazingly enough weights are made of heavy metal so they weigh a lot in a small package. Combat swords are generally made of the highest quality, lightest metal you can get because you have to carry the loving things around all the time, in addition to whatever other bullshit you have to deal with. Weight is only useful to a point, and after that point it's just strain on your body to no good end. Most of the large two handed swords of our history are only like 5 to 15 pounds, and that's including the insanely massive things that are edging towards impractical. Considering we never really bothered with serious sword smithing advances in the age of titanium and the like, it's entirely possible to make something like Cloud is carrying at like 20 to 30 pounds. It's a specialty weapon built for the most super of super soldiers, I doubt they made it out of pig iron and lead.

Or maybe it's just iron and it weighs like 100 pounds because gently caress it, anime.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mulva posted:

It's a specialty weapon built for the most super of super soldiers, I doubt they made it out of pig iron and lead.

if crisis core is still canon then the buster sword is explicitly a one-off display piece that was specially commissioned and which the original owner deliberately went out of his way to never, ever use. the actual SOLDIER sword is a much more reasonably sized thing and you can see Roche and the other SOLDIER enemies use it.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Cloud's sword is made of paper mache and everyone he hits with it is just playing along to be polite.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Whoops, double post

Qrr fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 9, 2020

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Nomura said in one of the Advent Children interviews that his vision of the Buster Sword was a "giant kitchen knife made of unrefined steel" for whatever that's worth.

Some youtube blacksmith guy made a replica that copied the proportions exactly and it weighed almost 100 pounds. Material does make a huge difference though - one of the SE headquarters has a full-scale replica that only weights about 15 pounds, but it's obviously made of some extra-light metal that would be completely worthless for actual use.

cock hero flux posted:

if crisis core is still canon then the buster sword is explicitly a one-off display piece that was specially commissioned and which the original owner deliberately went out of his way to never, ever use. the actual SOLDIER sword is a much more reasonably sized thing and you can see Roche and the other SOLDIER enemies use it.

IIRC it wasn't a display piece, it's just that Angeal's dad got sick and died from overworking himself to pay for the sword and so he didn't use it out of respect for his father's memory. Then he gave it to Zack who only hit things with the blunt side so the blade didn't get worn down. Then he gave it to Cloud who just beats the poo poo out of it and leaves it jammed in the dirt for like 2 years.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 8, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Then he gave it to Zack who only hit things with the blunt side so the blade didn't get worn down. Then he gave it to Cloud who just beats the poo poo out of it and leaves it jammed in the dirt for like 2 years.

Zack uses the bladed edge in combat, but when he stows the sword on his back, he does it with the blade down (apparently to protect it? It's not clear how it would, but...).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Nomura said in one of the Advent Children interviews that his vision of the Buster Sword was a "giant kitchen knife made of unrefined steel" for whatever that's worth.

https://i.imgur.com/O1mXkFZ.mp4

:hmmyes:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
"Gomenasai, my name is Sephiroth-sama

I'm a 27 year old Midgar Otaku (Anime fan for you gaijins). I train with my Masamune every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on Gaia-" is stabbed in the spine with the Buster Sword.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wonder if they're gonna significantly change Rocket Town stuff (when they get to it in 2030)

Shinra with a fleet of mechs and choppers... and they need to commandeer a random plane in the middle of nowhere

"we need to cross to the north continent but wutai's radars would pick up our planes and think we are attacking. we need your crappy cardboard plane to cross undetected"

there, ftfy in 2 sentences

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

"we need to cross to the north continent but wutai's radars would pick up our planes and think we are attacking. we need your crappy cardboard plane to cross undetected"

there, ftfy in 2 sentences

also, they had helicopters in the original, but they're probably not good for crossing oceans

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Harrow posted:

Zack uses the bladed edge in combat, but when he stows the sword on his back, he does it with the blade down (apparently to protect it? It's not clear how it would, but...).

There's actually a piece of dialog on the way to Nibelheim where Zack says he uses the blunt edge to fight, and his unsheathing animation has the blunt side facing the enemy, but then the actual gameplay combat completely ignores that lol.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So what did Shinra want with Johnny in Chapter 3? Initially they claim his ID was used to access a warehouse but then it seems that was just a lie to get him to admit something. But then, why did they bring him in the first place? Did they somehow know he had info on Avalanche?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

RatHat posted:

So what did Shinra want with Johnny in Chapter 3? Initially they claim his ID was used to access a warehouse but then it seems that was just a lie to get him to admit something. But then, why did they bring him in the first place? Did they somehow know he had info on Avalanche?

I think people around while it happened said something along the lines of, "Shinra was just looking for someone to pin blame on, and you know how Johnny gets with being a loudmouth." So presumably Johnny was pretending to be "in the know" to look cool to someone, and it got to the wrong ears at Shinra.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So since the next part will probably take at least 2 years to make this would be a great time for them to release a Compilation of Final Fantasy VII collection for the PS4 with Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus(And Before Crisis+the 2 movies if we're lucky).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RatHat posted:

So since the next part will probably take at least 2 years to make this would be a great time for them to release a Compilation of Final Fantasy VII collection for the PS4 with Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus(And Before Crisis+the 2 movies if we're lucky).

wait what was the second one :ohdear:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FAUXTON posted:

wait what was the second one :ohdear:

The anime one about the Nibelheim incident, that retconned Cloud throwing Sephiroth into the Mako.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

RatHat posted:

The anime one about the Nibelheim incident, that retconned Cloud throwing Sephiroth into the Mako.

Seeing as it's never had an English dub, that would be pretty cool.

Although i'd still be watching it in Japanese with English subs like I do anyway!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

Yeah I remember that. God that's lame. I'm not usually one to nitpick about changes but that just takes a huge chunk of the the motivation out of Cloud and Sephiroth's history. Cloud not actually overpowering him just shits up why Sephiroth would have a vendetta against him.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Flopsy posted:

Yeah I remember that. God that's lame. I'm not usually one to nitpick about changes but that just takes a huge chunk of the the motivation out of Cloud and Sephiroth's history. Cloud not actually overpowering him just shits up why Sephiroth would have a vendetta against him.

Luckily Square apologized for that and reversed it in Crisis Core.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I started replaying OG ff7 and was surprised to find out that Johnny wasn't an original character for the remake. I don't think I've noticed him before lol

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

romanowski posted:

I started replaying OG ff7 and was surprised to find out that Johnny wasn't an original character for the remake. I don't think I've noticed him before lol

The translation in OG FFVII is so bad regarding Johnny that it misleads the player into thinking he was childhood friends with Cloud and Tifa when in fact he's just a loner from Sector 7 who developed a crush on Tifa while drinking in Seventh Heaven and then getting jealous of Cloud when he arrives, leaving Midgar to start a new life.

He was also originally supposed to get jealous of Cloud staying at Aerith's house and was going to call him out on it regarding Cloud's relationship with Tifa.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I hope Johnny and Roche meet in a future installment

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Veib posted:

I just want more Roche.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Roche is the jovial counterpart to Cloud, always appearing as a challenger but never with truly malicious intent. He's a great addition. You just know that in the end he's going to do you a solid. I have no doubt he will pop up in further installments

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like the idea that there are all these crazed ex-SOLDIERS roaming around without a war to fight creating destruction everywhere. Hopefully in the next installment we see hot rod Roche, skateboard Roche, semi truck Roche, etc.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

semi truck Roche

Ah so that's who runs over Palmer

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Roche is driving the truck that slams into Palmer

e - gently caress you Veib!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Veib posted:

Ah so that's who runs over Palmer

That's.... actually very plausible!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Veib posted:

and fall in love

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

exquisite tea posted:

I like the idea that there are all these crazed ex-SOLDIERS roaming around without a war to fight creating destruction everywhere. Hopefully in the next installment we see hot rod Roche, skateboard Roche, semi truck Roche, etc.

Yeah, it's a good bit of world building that puts into perspective how...naive? of an idea it was for Sephiroth to be like "Yeah I'm probably going to quit after this mission." Like bitch, how? What else are you going to do? What other things are any of them going to do that doesn't involve combat? Roche is actually a really good answer to that question and he works really well as a rival who somehow avoids dying and keeps coming back at random moments.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Last scene of the Remakes is Sephiroth settling into his new job. "Would you like a flower? They're one gil...Cloud."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

A neat thing about Aerith's outfit is that it's kind of 1950s. Theres an old MST3K short film where the main character is wearing a very similar outfit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibUsglYe4r0&t=75s
(Kay, the girl in the purple.)

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

DeathChicken posted:

Last scene of the Remakes is Sephiroth settling into his new job. "Would you like a flower? They're one gil...Cloud."

Every time I hear him repeat Cloud's name, I think of that one MBMBAM bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU4pPvHLIwc

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

A neat thing about Aerith's outfit is that it's kind of 1950s. Theres an old MST3K short film where the main character is wearing a very similar outfit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibUsglYe4r0&t=75s
(Kay, the girl in the purple.)

Midgar in general reflects this dieselpunk aesthetic. The opening cinematic has 1950s architecture, cars and kids' clothing alongside high-tech robotics, then you see touchscreen smartphones in Chapter 1.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

And two years later everyone is using flip phones.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

Well duh, i'm guessing Gaia's supply of phones were made in Midgar and Midgar got destroyed by meteor

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

Plot twist: Samsung takes over post-Meteor and everyone's actually using Galaxy Flips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Flip phones were cool, there, I said it.