Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Because like every other president since Nixon (except Carter) he’s worried about his successor coming after him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Look Sir Droids posted:

There's no way Biden will pardon Trump or anyone in his administration. Institutionally, he shouldn't have a strong opinion on putting Trump associates in jail since the President is supposed to stay out of it. His choice of AG may give some indication on how hard he wants to go at them. But I can't imagine, either practically or in terms of political calculus, how being soft on Trump associates would help him or the country.
Of course, he was part of the administration that decided not to prosecute any torturers because they wanted to "look forward not backward" or whatever it was.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Look Sir Droids posted:

There's no way Biden will pardon Trump or anyone in his administration. Institutionally, he shouldn't have a strong opinion on putting Trump associates in jail since the President is supposed to stay out of it. His choice of AG may give some indication on how hard he wants to go at them. But I can't imagine, either practically or in terms of political calculus, how being soft on Trump associates would help him or the country.
aw sweetie

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
i unironically love that people, after the last 4 years, are still making predictions about the future

by 2024 I fully expect the rick and morty storyline of superintelligent dogs to come true and they ride me around like cavalry and direct me to do things for them that require opposable thumbs

biden pardoning trump people as a reaching across the aisle, looking forward not backward thing, not only could happen, but now that you've said it won't, it almost definitely will

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'll grant that pardoning Trump might be a bit of a stretch, since there may not even be any open investigations at that point. If Trump is under immediate threat, though, he'll get a pardon. There's zero chance any of his cronies will be prosecuted by the DOJ unless the FBI has evidence of incredibly blatant corruption on a silver platter. Even then I'd say it's unlikely. Biden doesn't want to be investigated by President Pence in 2025 and risk spending his nineties in prison. He knows the game.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 8, 2020

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyway this is all incredibly depressing. Let's move away from the doom and gloom to a fresh topic: has anyone seen any exciting furloughs or pay cuts yet?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I haven't seen what the big firms are doing but I know a lot of folks whose offices are starting to pull numbers to see who is at the bottom.

Support staff are getting it too. Friend of mine who is a paralegal had her hours and pay cut. She asked me about applying to law school. :thunk:

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Vox Nihili posted:

Anyway this is all incredibly depressing. Let's move away from the doom and gloom to a fresh topic: has anyone seen any exciting furloughs or pay cuts yet?

All the pay news I've heard is :smith: locally since my friends in small firms are getting furloughed or trying to flee to government work since many of the courts have effectively shut down here. Luckily we got PPP money so we're keeping our staff on despite a big drop in new cases.

Aside from the courts hearing fewer cases virtually nobody is taking any precautions. I had an in-person hearing recently where the judge ordered opposing counsel and me back to his chambers to hash out part of the case. The three of us crowded around a table for nearly an hour. The only people I've seen in the courthouse with masks are deputies. At this point I'm trying to finish up any time sensitive work because I assume in a month or two just everyone is going to have COVID.

On a lighter note, I've had several federal hearings conducted remotely and all have been delayed roughly half an hour each time due to technical issues. If this is the future of litigation we're going to need to add about an hour to each hearing because olds can't figure out how cameras work. In almost every hearing something like this happens.

Also, I had a witness appear remotely but he couldn't figure out how to use the camera on his phone (he explained to the judge "he wasn't good with computers"). This caused a minor legal issue as we tried to figure out whether the judge court swear in someone remotely if he couldn't see him. In the end, everyone wanted the hearing to end so the judge just swore him in anyways v:shobon:v

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 8, 2020

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Vox Nihili posted:

My old place put in place a 25% cut for all attorneys recently. No furloughs yet (though for a place of that size, "furloughs" will likely not be announced, but will just take the form of people being asked to leave).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
They'll Do It Every Time 12/13/46

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I got a 10% pay cut for May and June that will definitely continue until business is back to normal.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
My firm has been relatively optimistic, saying we're well positioned. They even mentioned lowering hours requirements to get bonuses. I'm usually pretty cynical, but they have seemed like they're in good shape and made points about our balanced practice areas and talked about how they were able to handle 2008 with minimal damage. I'm also fully aware that everyone will be saying things are fine until they aren't, but so far so good.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

I got a 10% pay cut for May and June that will definitely continue until business is back to normal.

That loving blows.

My fiancee took an indefinite 15% pay cut (she does tax consulting) and she's doing more work than before this whole thing started, it's insane.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I and my teams are still quite busy, but at some point the lack of trials will catch up.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 8, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Defence counsel are hosed if this goes on too long.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah for now I'm just at home but after a certain point the economic hit will trickle over to the county budget and public defenders tend to be the first cut when that happens.

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug
Hedge/PE fund formation lawyer at a NY boutique here. Small fund managers are getting killed by client withdrawals, plus nobody has interest in starting funds now. Effectively furloughed since March but Partner said I could come back if there's more work lol.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Why are you all complaining? The partners have taken a cut in their monthly draws well over the amount of your salary.

By the way here is our Back To Work policy (attached). You must wear masks at all times. If you don’t have a mask we will supply masks and deduct the cost from your paycheck. Place them in the “Biohazard” bin in the copy room. No not that one, that’s Chip Westinghouse’s kid’s chocolate bar sale.

No coffee will be supplied. Do not use the fridge for storing food. The firm is pleased to offer meals at your cost, which you can pick up downstairs in the lobby (observe social distancing). Do not touch paperwork. Do not touch the phones in conference rooms. All clients will observe temperature monitoring and contact tracing protocols. Except clients of the four corner offices.

We expect staff to be in the office Monday to prepare the office for re-opening. Bob, Bob, Nelson, Clark, and Bob will need their time from March and April put into the system, so Cathy G., Jennifer, Trudy, and Cathy P. are expected to be in the office for 45 hours next week.

We are so happy to see you all back in the office! Welcome home!

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Vox Nihili posted:

A friend of mine came in $70k above her minimum required billables. They've cut her pay 20%.

Every day, my decision to go work in government and not law looks smarter and smarter.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Real talk for context on my 10% pay cut: I am definitely doing more than 10% less work. There is just less to do, and what I do have to do I have the luxury of time shifting it to whatever time of day I want to do it and I don't have a commute anymore. Whatever we have outside counsel engaged on we are pushing them to push deadlines back as far as possible. My job is pretty safe because I can cover some work we would normally farm out to outside counsel. Plus despite only being here two years, I have seniority over the other two people in my same position. Our raises went in to effect on schedule, so that combined with not spending money on gas and lunch the pay cut is basically a wash. I got to spend a a good portion of today shooting mans in Arma 3.

That said, I consider myself very lucky (for not at least). We are going to be in a hellhole that makes 2008-09 look quaint once the real economic data starts coming in and a deep recession is confirmed. If I was still at my last job at a big law firm, I'd be sweating it every day that I was going to get shitcanned. Because that's exactly what they did in 2009. They cleaned house and that's how I got that job. 2020 law grads are hosed.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Xtronoc posted:

Hedge/PE fund formation lawyer at a NY boutique here. Small fund managers are getting killed by client withdrawals, plus nobody has interest in starting funds now. Effectively furloughed since March but Partner said I could come back if there's more work lol.

I do OFAC/FinCen clearances on funds for a financial firm and yeah it’s insane how few new fund KYC requests we’re getting.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Generic biglaw litigator here. Firm has emphasized that Q1 2020 was stronger than Q1 2019. My hours dropped considerably last month, but it seems really person to person/practice area to practice area. No plans for salary cuts/headcount reductions at this point in time.

Things have picked back up for me and it seems like there's a work pipeline for a lot of people until the fall/end of year. Feel like if (when) this stretches to the fall things will look pretty different, though.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
My billables are comparable but I’ve actually done less work since I went from having a multi monitor set up on a desk to lazily typing poo poo on my laptop while laying around in my underwear.

This profession is a racket but I hate a lot of the clients I do work for so I don’t care

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Policy/lobbying these days and things are weirdly quiet but also busy, as anything non-COVID is backburnered but anything plausibly COVID related is high priority.

On the bright side, our contracts are all locked in yearly so we’re not planning salary reductions since we have all our cash already on hand. (At least that I’ve heard.)

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

EwokEntourage posted:

This profession is a racket but I hate a lot of the clients I do work for so I don’t care

Feel like this is some sort of lawyer rallying call.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
Leveraged finance / high yield lawyer here. No pay cuts (and firm has said they don't plan any), which makes sense since we are crazy busy. I haven't physically left my apartment in about two months but have still billed like 450 hours in that time. Of course work for us was already really antisocial (we used to call other lawyers at our firm who sat in the same office even if they were down the hall) so really it makes no difference.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

My workload has actually stayed the same (because people are just getting more abusive now) and so far my organization has been steady. I still have had to do some court appearances but they have mostly transitioned to telephonic now.

If things continue fundraising might get dicey though.

Also Louisiana is squishing their three day exam into a one day.

https://www.lasc.org/press_room/press_releases/2020/2020-13.asp

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Clerking and a similar story - much of the work hasn't changed, we're still passing drafts, researching, working on memos and the like, just from home. We've moved our docket to conference calls for motion practice and, while not perfect, it's gone about as smooth as can be expected. Just feel lucky I'm drawing a federal salary these days, many of my friends at firms are getting cuts, no matter where the firm is on the spectrum - even NYC biglaw.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

"Ok, ok, ok - ignore the rest of it. No doubt, for real: we got 'em this time."
- People who, you guessed it, did not 'get 'em this time."

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

How is that a we got him this time post?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
because gently caress everything thats why

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug

Toona the Cat posted:

I do OFAC/FinCen clearances on funds for a financial firm and yeah it’s insane how few new fund KYC requests we’re getting.

Probably the GPs are busy with angry investor emails like "But I thought your strategy could beat the benchmark how could you lose all my money???" Expect more fund litigations in the next few months. :getin:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Look Sir Droids posted:

How is that a we got him this time post?
guys blarzh is just a chatbot we fed thousands of pages of phil mouskewitz and SV posts to create the worst possible poster of all time. please stop replying directly to him, it messes up his script

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I’m a bankruptcy attorney so you all can guess how things are looking at the ol’weasel’s office

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
everything’s coming up weasel

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

evilweasel posted:

I’m a bankruptcy attorney so you all can guess how things are looking at the ol’weasel’s office

I'm in Bankruptcy too, and the boss thinks things are gonna slow down a lot and then boom once the recovery starts as people look to shed debt accumulated. Since most states have eviction/foreclosure holds people can delay filing a bit longer. Are you saying that the boom is now?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Xtronoc posted:

Probably the GPs are busy with angry investor emails like "But I thought your strategy could beat the benchmark how could you lose all my money???" Expect more fund litigations in the next few months. :getin:

Some of the LPAs and IMAs I read make me want to laugh and weep for people...then I see a $10 million minimum subscription and then I feel nothing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sullat posted:

I'm in Bankruptcy too, and the boss thinks things are gonna slow down a lot and then boom once the recovery starts as people look to shed debt accumulated. Since most states have eviction/foreclosure holds people can delay filing a bit longer. Are you saying that the boom is now?

I do corporate bankruptcies, not personal. And yeah the entire energy industry is going bankrupt already, retail is starting, and that’s all while the big wave hasn’t even hit yet so we are already pretty busy and gearing up more.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
So apparently the motion to set aside and dismiss the Flynn case was written by some lackey but submitted under the bar number of the old USA who quit in protest.

The Judge is ... Not happy

https://twitter.com/deepakguptalaw/status/1259243942782160907?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Late to the party here but can’t believe this thread of all places is forgetting Trump will pardon himself.