Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

As someone who hasn't kept up with DBZ since like, the Cell saga, I'm going to assume that's just owning someone so hard that their soul explodes

edit : What a waste of a page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

The whole silent protagonist thing is a bit silly at this point, but not as silly as the 11 protagonists hair

he's literally just Android 17

PinheadSlim posted:

As someone who hasn't kept up with DBZ since like, the Cell saga, I'm going to assume that's just owning someone so hard that their soul explodes
one guy can just erase you from existence, no punny Earth dragonballs going to save your rear end from Beerus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxSrSK2ioQw&t=138s

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 9, 2020

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

As someone so pathetically behind in DBZ lore, all I see is Trunks.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Rutibex posted:

get a switch lite and play some real games. Oh god it's so good

There's RPGs on the switch? That aren't just roms sold for 30$?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tripwood posted:

There's RPGs on the switch? That aren't just roms sold for 30$?

maybe you have heard of a little game called Plansescape Torment? this makes the Switch the best console for RPGs ever created (PC isn't a console)

though i will admit everything on Switch is 3x overpriced :negative:

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
lol dude I finished PT 18 years ago when i was still in my mother's basement :cool:
what's the new freshness (not too anime please)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tripwood posted:

lol dude I finished PT 18 years ago when i was still in my mother's basement :cool:

sorry I donno. honestly i bought this switch lite to play Musou games and indy metroidvanias on the go. its very good at that!

is Hollow Knight an RPG?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

tripwood posted:

octopath traveler is kind of an interesting throwback to the 16-bit pixelated heyday of snes jrpgs when literally everything was muddy and brown looking

wait - this just in - snes rpgs were super colorful? gosh, that just makes octopath traveler suck even more, huh

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

food court bailiff posted:

octopath traveler is kind of an interesting throwback to the 16-bit pixelated heyday of snes jrpgs when literally everything was muddy and brown looking

wait - this just in - snes rpgs were super colorful? gosh, that just makes octopath traveler suck even more, huh

Depends on what game, but it's weird considering the palette for FF6 was this

But the weird phone version is this

God that poo poo is ugly too

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The phone versions of FFVI are staggeringly ugly and the devs were like "english speakers think it looks like crap? Weird"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

signalnoise posted:

Depends on what game, but it's weird considering the palette for FF6 was this

But the weird phone version is this

God that poo poo is ugly too

those FF6 phone edition sprites are an abomination. look at the arms and posture, they are straight up/down like some kind of robot android. compaire this to the SNES sprites. the arms have a natural curve and the feet are spaced apart, like an actual human was standing there

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

im just salty because octopath could be super, super pretty if everything didn’t look so washed out and brown

and the plot could have been good if there had been a plot

but seriously they ape snes stuff so hard, snes, the console where even link from zelda had bright pink fuckin hair, and then lean into the “unreal engine is brown” trope badly

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Rutibex posted:

those FF6 phone edition sprites are an abomination. look at the arms and posture, they are straight up/down like some kind of robot android. compaire this to the SNES sprites. the arms have a natural curve and the feet are spaced apart, like an actual human was standing there
It's a lovely port produced at cost because people always underestimate how many resources producing a stylized 2D game will take, forgetting that games like Metal Slug were the AAA blockbusters of the time with million-dollar development budgets. If it's not a photorealistic 3D title (and even with those we like to forget about the hidden outsourced teams), an unexperienced skeleton crew should do just fine!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Octopath Traveler is a woefully bad game in so many regards its almost impressive. drat shame well certainly get a sequel since the thing sold incredibly well.

Rutibex posted:

Well part of it is they're just trace overs of sprites from an earlier other port that, iirc, were themselves lovely trace overs of the original sprites of FFV so every character looks like how a bad drawing done via telephone would work and has poses and animation frames from a different game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Barudak posted:

Octopath Traveler is a woefully bad game in so many regards its almost impressive.

i literally haven’t even fired it up in months i just woke up this morning with a bad hangover and a seething animosity for that game and it’s giant dazzling pile of wasted potential

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
When I heard the concept for Octopath Traveler I was thinking it was gonna be like a spiritual successor to SaGa stuff but without bonkers mechanics that turn everyone away from it unless they're very into niche stuff

I have since heard that it is not a particularly good game but for totally different reasons

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
if you want some SNES style jRPGs with throwback graphics the world of RPG Maker has you covered for free. why would anyone pay $80 for octopath whatever

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Rutibex posted:

if you want some SNES style jRPGs with throwback graphics truly demented outsider art the world of RPG Maker has you covered for free.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ruffian Price posted:

It's a lovely port produced at cost because people always underestimate how many resources producing a stylized 2D game will take, forgetting that games like Metal Slug were the AAA blockbusters of the time with million-dollar development budgets. If it's not a photorealistic 3D title (and even with those we like to forget about the hidden outsourced teams), an unexperienced skeleton crew should do just fine!

Man, I need to build that arcade cabinet. I miss metal slug.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
When Octopath came out I kept hearing nothing but praise for it.

When I got it, I picked a character that looked cool. Everyone in her starting area talked like someone had smashed them in the head with a sock full of ball bearings. I gave up and picked someone else, and it was just... dull. I feel like the whole setup was made so that characters couldn’t have poo poo to do in any story that wasn’t their own.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

That octopath game looks like an ugly late release snes rpg like Star Ocean or Tales of Phantasia, all smudgy and bland

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh, Octopath, not Octodad. :doh:

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

I'm glad I didn't pick it up then. the sentiment reminds me of I Am Setsuna, which seemed like a pretty cool Chrono-Trigger clone and then it just trips face-forward into dogshit. and then it stays there. I finished it and felt nothing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Death in DBZ is more like prison; you go there if you screw up, get real buff and get out early when your friends in high places do you a favour.

It’s called the Home For Infinite Losers, any real DBZ fan would know this. <Laughs in funimation>

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Finally got Doom2016

The shotgun sucks. As a veteran of Doom and Doom2 I loving know that imps die from one (1) shotgun blast. But they don't. I'm supposed to walk over there and tear their heads off. Why?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

food court bailiff posted:

i literally haven’t even fired it up in months i just woke up this morning with a bad hangover and a seething animosity for that game and it’s giant dazzling pile of wasted potential
:same:

I so want to finish it if only to finally be allowed to listen to the entire soundtrack but I just can't bring myself to resume playing

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

glory/chainsaw kills are really dumb and bad e: as implemented as a core gameplay mechanic that you have to do constantly to make number go up

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 10, 2020

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

poverty goat posted:

glory/chainsaw kills are really dumb and bad e: as implemented as a core gameplay mechanic that you have to do constantly to make number go up

Yeah, this is what put me off playing Doom 2016. I guess it's a matter of what you expect from an FPS, but I just want to shoot things, not engage in an additional gimmick just to manage my resources.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

10-20% of the game is actually just short in-engine cutscenes where doomguy opens each demon like a kinder surprise

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Icochet posted:

Finally got Doom2016

The shotgun sucks. As a veteran of Doom and Doom2 I loving know that imps die from one (1) shotgun blast. But they don't. I'm supposed to walk over there and tear their heads off. Why?

They do though? Like even before you get the grenade fire option.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The real noob zombies die to shotgun blast #1 but the imps generally do the "ouch, i'll just kneel for a bit and hope that nobody does a violent animation on me"

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The only thing anyone should complain about regarding Doom 2016 is the lack of a full featured level editor. Any other complaint is stupid bullshit and should be disregarded.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

The only thing anyone should complain about regarding Doom 2016 is the lack of a full featured level editor. Any other complaint is stupid bullshit and should be disregarded.

So the shotgun in DOOM is as good as the one in Doom? Is that what you are saying?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Doom 2016 had some pretty long and bad platforming sections.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Icochet posted:

So the shotgun in DOOM is as good as the one in Doom? Is that what you are saying?

Nothing will ever beat the shotgun and super shotgun from Doom and Doom II

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bushido Blade and Fight Night need new games

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Fight night ruled. I tried UFC3 but it just wasn’t as intuitive because you had to remember button combos and whatnot

Barudak
May 7, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Nothing will ever beat the shotgun and super shotgun from Doom and Doom II

The one in Doom 4 and Doom 5 are both really really good for different reasons

Fight Night is the game where only one person could hold the championship belt and one of the guys who held it the longest made people pay to fight them, right?

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I love those 2D space games where you fly from station to station buying space cows at 261 credits and selling them at 349 credits even though they all merge into one in my mind after fifteen minutes of playing them. People keep coming up with superficial innovations like ship customisation and landing on planets and 3d graphics but the core gameplay is so pure that it cannot be altered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

People say that the Deadliest Warrior game was like Bushido Blade, and those people are dead wrong. If anything, that game was basically a modern Time Killers.