Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You mean the Warning Device?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

4 inch cut no femmes posted:

Are console commands or loading an old save the only ways to work around the missing equipment bug?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2080261187&searchtext=

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

any word on when a patch will drop? Been waiting on starting this until it gets cleaned up a bit.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Okay, here's a funny little idea: Give Axiom a mindshield and he cannot Berserk. Which means you can keep his rage level up at all times. That opens up some possibilities.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Magni posted:

Okay, here's a funny little idea: Give Axiom a mindshield and he cannot Berserk. Which means you can keep his rage level up at all times. That opens up some possibilities.

I feel like he's more useful punching people after going berserk rather than trying to get the random status effects when he melee's with a full rage bar.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've hit a weird bug where no matter what I do, the game is convinced Terminal has Tranq Rounds on and not whatever else she actually has. It's not really a big deal but I'd like the AP ones now that I'm in investigation 3.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 8, 2020

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

any word on when a patch will drop? Been waiting on starting this until it gets cleaned up a bit.

not at all

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Magni posted:

This is the only good post in two hundred pages.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

TheParadigm posted:

Something that's neat about his Collar is two fold and apparently makes him a lot better (i skipped it an regretted it)
OTHER people's lethal damage will still knock them out, which frees up, say, everyone else to not use tranq rounds.
Unconscious enemies still contribute to your network

Torque is someone I ended upsidelining in the midgame because all she really started to contribute was keeping one enemy locked down, and I needed another member to pull weight beyond 'taking one enemy out of the fight'.

i totally missed that anyone can hit him to knock him out... always thought he had to hit them..

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Is there any difference between capturing faction leaders or just straight shooting them?in terms of dialog.
My a-team is really uh... lethal.

Also lol the big boss mod is great , he's like blueblood++

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Verviticus posted:

how does XCOPS run compared to xcom2?

It's kind of buggy atm but the load times are so fast it's nuts.

I think it's because it uses smaller maps broken up into discrete Encounters with their own breach phases rather than trying to model a whole large map to wander around and activate pods in.

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Is there any difference between capturing faction leaders or just straight shooting them?in terms of dialog.

I wish he didn't take blueblood's spot tbh

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

No dialog difference, as far as I know.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Xcom2 Mod question: Are there any that are WoTC compatible that slow the game down a bit? One thing I dislike about 2, and I think the Long War might have fixed it, but it's been so long since I played, is that every mission just throws more and more stuff at you. There's never any "easy" missions with basic enemies to throw some fresh rookies at. I guess this is what the training room and special ops are for, but I prefer a slower pace.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Soonmot posted:

Xcom2 Mod question: Are there any that are WoTC compatible that slow the game down a bit? One thing I dislike about 2, and I think the Long War might have fixed it, but it's been so long since I played, is that every mission just throws more and more stuff at you. There's never any "easy" missions with basic enemies to throw some fresh rookies at. I guess this is what the training room and special ops are for, but I prefer a slower pace.

This might not be quite what you're looking for, but in advanced options you can enable Lengthy Scheme to extend the Avatar Project, or Time Turner to extend the mission timers.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Went into the assassin's fortress forgetting my star ranger had developed fear of the chosen. Thought I was screwed but she resisted the fear the first time. Then we took out the sarcophagus and the chosen materialized next to my ranger, triggering fear of the chosen. She became 'obsessed' and shotgunned the assassin during the alien activity phase for 14 damage. The chosen stuns someone nearby and then runs to a position flanked by the ranger. Who on my turn 'loses her turn' because she's obsessed and.shoots the chosen for 14 damage again, killing her.

:lol:

Sorry, assassin :xcom:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've gone back to playing WOTC and did the first rescue mission. The Resistance fighters were hitting so well I wondered if I had a mod installed. Which hindsight was good as I was playing a bit too cautious and was wildly out of position most of the map to do anything but take a few potshots.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

In my head cannon now the resistance guys that do really well in wotc are the ones recruited to chimera squad.
Godmother going "oh yeah, one time the chosen assassin and a half dozen faceless invaded our camp and we had to duke it out.oh, xcom was there too, I guess."

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that I´m a bit surprised that you don´t even get anything for going the extra mile and capturing faction leaders alive. You´d think that you would at least get some extra lore/interaction or anything but nope. Maybe the devs will do something about it later on but it was a bit of a disappointment when Icaptured the Iron Phoenix leader and didn´t even get as much as a "good job" for it.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Second play through is a surprisingly different game. Factions in different order, the “mini investigations” have been totally different, even the final missions have been the same idea but completely different objective style encounters. Plus the variety of the squad has been great - went with my Unplayed people so I started with Shelter, Patchwork, Claymore, and Verge. Definitely felt a little too supporty, and patchwork and shelter each having a consistent 4 damage option felt inefficient. Verge has just not felt effective. A full turn for a stun that half the time let’s the enemy shoot anyway and a shot or a battle madness just isn’t effective.

Even on impossible I feel like I’m on a victory lap end of investigation two. Poison ammo, a few scavenger market purchases, a few good grenades, and the power level creeps up massively with nothing the enemy can do.

Just got a new plot point during sacred coil about andromedons I’m excited to see!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yay i beat chimera squad. optional squad was patchwork, claymore, torque, blueblood; final mission crew was verge, godmother, terminal, blueblood. Verge was probably my most used team member, went on almost every mission. Patchwork ended up benched because she got hit with the equipment bug, but I was very glad to have her for the faction with the robots. Overall, quite fun! Never really got into anarchy trouble at all, the spec op is really, really good.

e- taking the grey phoenix extra HP dark option instead of their buffed grenades may have been a mistake

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Soonmot posted:

Long War of the Chosen has a stable beta out right now; that may suit your needs.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
unless I'm totally off base I don't see LW slowing it down in the sense of giving them 'easy missions for rookies' but maybe it does?

also to help with the rookie problem without mods, I've successfully trained up soldiers doing covert ops as the second or third soldier attached to one, I just keep deploying them on cov ops repeatedly. It's slow since you're only doing it 1-2 people at a time but even getting them to sergeant or whatever means I can take them on a real run.

There's also a continent bonus for the GTS which gives people sergeant straight out of class training, but you can't be guaranteed to get that one.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, now that I started playing around with the covert ops room, that kind of addresses my complaint

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Captain Foo posted:

yay i beat chimera squad. optional squad was patchwork, claymore, torque, blueblood; final mission crew was verge, godmother, terminal, blueblood. Verge was probably my most used team member, went on almost every mission. Patchwork ended up benched because she got hit with the equipment bug, but I was very glad to have her for the faction with the robots. Overall, quite fun! Never really got into anarchy trouble at all, the spec op is really, really good.

e- taking the grey phoenix extra HP dark option instead of their buffed grenades may have been a mistake

Same. I did two playthroughs and never got anarchy even though it was on impossible. The city management was either too easy, or I got lucky roll of events. It was pretty cool to see different boss missions though.

It's definitely a fun game even if it's less tense than the main series. It'd be nice if the breach mechanic carries over into the next game in some variation. I really enjoyed everything about breach items and planning it out. The arrest mechanic not so much. Guarantied damage breaks XCOM. Radial overwatch is too effective too, letting you pick priority targets or enemies you know you'll hit.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Donnerberg posted:

Same. I did two playthroughs and never got anarchy even though it was on impossible. The city management was either too easy, or I got lucky roll of events. It was pretty cool to see different boss missions though.

It's definitely a fun game even if it's less tense than the main series. It'd be nice if the breach mechanic carries over into the next game in some variation. I really enjoyed everything about breach items and planning it out. The arrest mechanic not so much. Guarantied damage breaks XCOM. Radial overwatch is too effective too, letting you pick priority targets or enemies you know you'll hit.

I don’t think guaranteed damage is a problem at all, here. I also really appreciate the way they addressed the classic rocket tag issues xcom2 in particular has

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I noticed almost instantly how strong subdue was as an action. It fades away quickly once you get other guaranteed-results abilities, but it really is incongruously strong for the first few missions.

It only gets replaced, of course, because almost everyone gets super broken 100% results stuff while those scrub enemies are still trying to shoot their guns at people in cover.

XCOM2 didn't suffer from rocket tag only because the aliens never got rockets. Players where so eager to chaos dunk on pods that they never noticed that the stray return fire was usually ineffectual (barring things like a Gatekeeper's Gateway, or Archon's devastate).

Chimera's greatest sin was probably allowing for too much breaking of the turn order and action economy. Game would be very different if alpha striking encounters wasn't so trivial.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

One thing I'd love to see in XCOM is site recon/analysis. It would be great to have some sort of idea of the layout of what you're heading into even if it's sometimes wrong, and I think there's opportunity for alternate methods of progression in getting better information before the mission starts if you've been putting resources into it.

New game? First mission in a region? Nah, fog of war.
Completed that mission into the old military base? Now there's old satellite photos available.
Bought the radar upgrades for the skyranger? Here's where there's some big stuff.
Had a successful recon covert op in the area recently? Here's the neighborhood layout and some recent photos.
Done all your alien tech research? Here are the plans for that model of ship you're assaulting.
Successfully hacked the ADVENT datacenter? Here's all the map and building data they had for that region.

For CS it would be similar, just on a smaller scale.
Rush mission? You're blind, good luck.
If you're on good terms with the government you might have the original plans for the building you're heading into.
Put money into the right research and maybe you've got a keyhole cam or recon drone image or two.
Equip a motion detector or IR sensor and you've got a rough idea of how many things are on the other side of the door.
Have someone putting legwork in to that area and now you know likely reinforcement/exit points.

Of course this would be more art but it'd also be cool worldbuilding to be able to see the changes in the mission area from the out of date intel you have. It also restores some difficulty to the crucial plot missions because you don't have intel on the blacksite or temple ship or whatever. It doesn't have to be a big tactical advantage for it to feel weighty when it's taken away.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Captain Foo posted:

I don’t think guaranteed damage is a problem at all, here. I also really appreciate the way they addressed the classic rocket tag issues xcom2 in particular has

I've disliked psi attacks for the same reason, and came into CS with that bias. I'll concede that the lower difficulty isn't all about fixed damage. There's certainly ways to have that and still have a hard game. There's a lot of cases where the AI, Snakemen in particular, don't play well or their crits don't hit hard enough, or they whiff shots when they flank. Not having to carry the dead and wounded out of missions makes a huge difference too.

Then again, it doesn't feel like CS wanted to be a nightmare game anyway. It's the embodiment of the victory lap, getting to show off all your abilities and having a good time doing it.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 9, 2020

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Tom Tucker posted:

Verge has just not felt effective. A full turn for a stun that half the time let’s the enemy shoot anyway and a shot or a battle madness just isn’t effective.
The secret with Verge is using Battle Madness as his first action. Berserked enemies almost always shoot at their friends (from what I can tell, if there's a shot possible, they take it, and only shoot at your team if they can't see anyone on theirs or they don't have a ranged attack). And then shoot with his high-damage AR, or if you are about to get murdered by an elite enemy, maybe Stun it. Once he's trained up, he's passively healing from the networked guys, passively becoming a sniper, passively capturing guys alive so you don't need Tranq rounds, and can deal pretty serious multi-target damage with his final training and a few stragglers still standing. My only complaint with the guy is that so many enemies have weird movesets and bizarre immunities, so they either won't attack when berserk, or they will use an ineffective move, so sometimes you don't have any good targets.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
N.B. that you can't use ceasefire grenades alongside Verge, else you WILL end up berserking a guy just to watch him reload his gun and say thanks.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Is there a way to tell when missions will punish you for civilian casualties? I keep failing to stop Chrysalids from attacking them but only sometimes get additional unrest.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Realistically ( :lol: ) I think you would see nations at least trying to reemerge. 20 years isn't really that long. Like, if your high school graduation was the day the aliens invaded, they'd be overthrown before you were 40. That's not long enough to erase centuries or longer of the idea of, say, French or Japanese national identity. I mean, there would be a dozen different factions claiming to be the REAL United States, and it would be a huge nightmare of warlords and chaos, but....

I expect Firaxis to largely handwave that away and have the world situation in 3 be fairly vague and unspecific. Particularly if we do end up fighting Terror From the Deep Cthulu monsters.

its 20 years of trying to erase any trace of that kind of thinking, after a nearly apocalyptic alien invasion.

20 years is basically what it tooks for the spaniards to erase most native identities for example

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Is there a way to tell when missions will punish you for civilian casualties? I keep failing to stop Chrysalids from attacking them but only sometimes get additional unrest.

its 20% chance to increase unrest for every civilian killed. same as subduing enemies for intel

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tricky Ed posted:

One thing I'd love to see in XCOM is site recon/analysis. It would be great to have some sort of idea of the layout of what you're heading into even if it's sometimes wrong, and I think there's opportunity for alternate methods of progression in getting better information before the mission starts if you've been putting resources into it.

That reminds me of one of my complaints about the campaign map in XCOM 2. You never really feel like a resistance to me, you're always reacting to Advent, when thematically they should be reacting to you. The mission roulette wheel spins up some choices and you sometimes get to pick which one you want.

I feel like it would have been more interesting if the campaign had been much more player driven and less about frantically trying to stop the Avatar project. Like the map is initially scattered with all sorts of unknown Advent sites and you can conduct recon missions and spend intel to learn what they are. Each site gives different bonuses to Advent and you could smash up a couple of their big robot factories, say, to greatly reduce the number of mech units you encounter for a while. The long term goal being hunting down the Chosen and the head Elder, or shutting down the psionic link the (off-world) Elder Collective or something.

Like the Advent sites wouldn't be a full blown Occupation Sim, but kinda fake it and give the player more choices. Like if I'm really low on Alien Alloys I can attack an Advent Refinery (difficult mission) or spend 'Resistance Assets' to derail an Advent train to get one of the current Supply missions, or stuff like that.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I am chewing through WOTC and was getting my rear end pounded, finally stabilized with some key tech upgrades and managed to ratchet back avatar progress, now back to getting my rear end a bit pounded now that the acid mech dudes are out to play.

God I think I made the exact same fuckup I did 4 years ago, I'm not getting any more advent trooper corpses and can't build the plate armor upgrade, but I now have the research for power armor and am probably going to have to skip right over tier 2 armor and rely on exosuits and never taking damage.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Longshot, but does anyone know how to adjust the reinforcement timer through ini's in XCOM 2? I'm playing Long War of the Chosen and one of the mission types is bugged into dropping reinforcements starting turn one, and never letting up.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Scoss posted:

I am chewing through WOTC and was getting my rear end pounded, finally stabilized with some key tech upgrades and managed to ratchet back avatar progress, now back to getting my rear end a bit pounded now that the acid mech dudes are out to play.

God I think I made the exact same fuckup I did 4 years ago, I'm not getting any more advent trooper corpses and can't build the plate armor upgrade, but I now have the research for power armor and am probably going to have to skip right over tier 2 armor and rely on exosuits and never taking damage.
I'm playing through WOTC for the first time, and it started off really loving hard and I save scummed a few gotcha moments from enemies that I hadn't seen before (like Mutons counter-meleeing and insta-killing melee experts), but it wasn't too horrible. Leaning on the hero classes for some action economy boosts early was a huge help. My main strategy is making basically every possible choice that helps on the strategic level, and relying on good strategy and leveling up my guys to win on a tactical level. Plated Armor is a big help with the extra slot, I don't know how you used up too many trooper corpses though? Did you sell them on the black market?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I never sold anything on the black market! Other than accidentally making two exosuits, I have no idea where the corpses went.I don't know what mechanism the game uses to decide when to phase out early enemies and introduce harder ones, but the only thing I can think is I must have gotten to some milestone too fast.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Scoss posted:

I never sold anything on the black market! Other than accidentally making two exosuits, I have no idea where the corpses went.I don't know what mechanism the game uses to decide when to phase out early enemies and introduce harder ones, but the only thing I can think is I must have gotten to some milestone too fast.
Nanoscale Vests use them too, I guess? Apparently when WotC added some lower-tier Advent enemy types, it watered down the spawn tables, so that could contribute. If you can rush to Elerium and Powered Armor, hopefully you can recover. I don't think there are milestones that phase out the lowest-tier enemies, it's just time passing in terms of months.

Maybe try and focus on a really dedicated combined arms approach? Templars and Rangers can both get parries, and enemies absolutely love to take swings when they're flanked despite the auto-miss. They also have a few abilities that let them take multiple attacks. Specialists with Aid Protocol can help if you get caught with your pants down (and it also gives an Overwatch shot). Being Bonded can give you an extra action or two if you get in over your head. Skirmishers and Psi Operatives (if you have unlocked Psionics) can toss out extra actions on a cooldown. Sharpshooters can fire from outside of counter-attack range. Grappling Hooks are a free move, they are like gold when you have guys who can multiattack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Blueblood is very GOOD.