Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The technical differences between the XSX and the PS5 (and a mid-tier gaming PC) are going to be basically non-existent. This isn't the 90s anymore. The playing field is ridiculously level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Nah it's pretty dumb to have a lower powered console with workarounds that only first part devs use, see the PS3.

the ps3s issue wasnt having workarounds for being lower powered it was having a completely asinine architecture that was impossible to use.

the ps4 has a really indepth implementation of gpu compute that is mostly used in third party games to make up for the tiny cpu, but first party games were also able to pump out particle physics based systems using it because they had the hardware available. its why all the early game comparisons had the ps4 making the xbox one look like it was garbage because killzone could have volumetrics going everywhere and driveclub could have its weather system. didnt make the games good by itself obviously because lol, but it kept being used for their first party games which is one of their major draws.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

American McGay posted:

The technical differences between the XSX and the PS5 (and a mid-tier gaming PC) are going to be basically non-existent. This isn't the 90s anymore. The playing field is ridiculously level.

then get the one with the cool good games on it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Ok Comboomer posted:

then get the one with the cool good games on it
A revolutionary idea for sure.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BonoMan posted:

On that front I played and nearly 100%'d Savage Planet on reco of some in this thread. *Almost* a really good game but I felt like they never really kept the humor going. You got a good humorous kickoff and maybe a tidbit here or there, but for the most part it was just absent during actual gameplay. Short enough to hold my attention but nothing was really in character during the game... just the videos you get at the ship.

The video jokes are so mediocre (one in the DLC is pretty good) and its unclear how evil the head of Kindred is supposed to be that I think it hurts the tone/jokes a lot. If youre beelining objective to objective your companion is pretty solidly chatty but if you do the backtracking the game is built on you spend a lot of time alone. I do like she has lots of lines when checking back in at the ship so that helps, but I think she needs more especially relating to the collectibles

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

American McGay posted:

Graphics are pretty good now though. Graphically this will be the least "impressive" console leap from the previous generation ever, hence the focus on things like resolution, frame rate and load times.

And the ability to alt+tab between multiple games and instantly resume. On the XB1X I never know if I can resume a game after launching Hulu or Netflix. Will it resume, or restart? to be fair I think some games restart because they lose connection to the publishers drm server and it kicks the session, but still.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

American McGay posted:

Graphics are pretty good now though. Graphically this will be the least "impressive" console leap from the previous generation ever, hence the focus on things like resolution, frame rate and load times.

Graphics are a budget issue anyway, only vaguely related to power.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Stux posted:

a good cure to gaming fatigue is going full blown into playing indies and mostly ignoring aaas i highly recommend it

Seriously this. There's so much great stuff in the indie space and it all runs on a loving Switch.

The biggest AAA game of this generation is a last-gen port whose devs never even bothered with a Pro/X patch. With a small number of exceptions it's been a sad parade of better-looking 360 games with more MTX bullshit this whole gen, and I'm not seeing that changing.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The current gen consoles is kind of cool.

I was bored so I downloaded one of these korean mmos on the xbox. I think it was Bless Unleashed or something.

I think I closed it.

The next day, I start the console, its on in two seconds, ... browse around and finaly decide to check the game. And bam, my character is in the exact same position than yesterday!. Of course after a few seconds walking around the server kicked me (becuase 24 hours of lag is a bit too much and trigger some 'clientside timeout') but it was cool to be in a game I played yesterday in seconds.

And this with the cheap console (not even the One X) and not modified hardware. so mechanical hdd.

next generation is going to be even better, can't wait!.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

Higher frame rates have never been a "no poo poo" feature. Every single console generation leap is the same. There are hundreds of PS4 and Xbox One games that max out at 30fps.

And some of the stuff in that stream had frame rates I'm pretty sure was sub-20. I know that's pre-optimization but that doesn't bode well when a trailer should be putting your best foot forward.

What we need to see is what's capable when a game is explicitly designed for an SSD only, which is something we haven't even seen on PC yet, and won't see for any cross-gen game for obvious reasons.

We don't yet know enough about the Xbox's SSD performance to know what's feasible there, as it probably doesn't have the same level of performance as the PS5 will and may not be able to do things quite as crazily as a true PS5 exclusive would.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Boy Sony has done a real good job emphasizing the SSD in their messaging. We do know the specs for the Series X SSD. Is it quite as fast? No, but even at half the speed at worse it's still in the order of 50 times faster than the current gen and can populate the whole system memory in a few seconds if needed. Has hardware decompression and a direct pipeline and all that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

being 50 times faster than current is fine for traditional loading but the fun part of having ssds in the consoles is having titles that dont have to worry about ever dealing with a slower drive, and a couple more seconds to fill memory makes a big difference there

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

And fix the god drat ui lag on these trash boat consoles

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ethanol posted:

And fix the god drat ui lag on these trash boat consoles
This is why I wanna murder every idiot that whines about "omg still no folders and themes???" after every SwitchOS update.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

American McGay posted:

This is why I wanna murder every idiot that whines about "omg still no folders and themes???" after every SwitchOS update.

Folders and themes have literally nothing to do with the terrible cluttered UI on the xbox that is trying to load assets from 16 different websites.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

When I am on the Store, why I can't just watch a video of a game? before I buy a game, I want to know what it looks like.

What happens is I enter the page of a game, and I have to wait, and maybe a video play YAY!, is what I want!, but then the UI loads, and block the video , NOO!!, and If I try to close the UI to get back to the video... it exit the Store app altogether!.

Sometimes I have to switch back and forth a few times until the Store app decide to allow me to watch the video.

All other design decisions... I can learn to navigate, but this is a pain in the rear end and never go away.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Don't you just press up to immediately load the video? I'm mainly a Game Pass gamer so I don't spend much time on the storefront but I think I remember it working that way in the past.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Apperently I just heard scorn was series x exclusive so nobody is gonna play that for a while I think.

Edit: pc and console exclusive. The medium is also pc/series x only.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 8, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Apperently I just heard scorn was series x exclusive so nobody is gonna play that for a while I think.

Edit: pc and console exclusive. The medium is also pc/series x only.

Official website lists it for Series X, Windows Store, and Steam. https://store.steampowered.com/app/698670/Scorn/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So are those the phrases then? Series X Exclusive means it only works on series X. And Smart Delivery means it works on all of them?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

So are those the phrases then? Series X Exclusive means it only works on series X. And Smart Delivery means it works on all of them?

No, I believe Smart Delivery refers to downloading the game while you play it. You'll only receive what is absolutely necessary to play.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't they already have that? I thought smart delivery was the console only downloading things like texture sizes for however you're playing the game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Smart Delivery is if you buy a game on the XONE and later you buy an XSX it will upgrade the game to the XSX version for free. Feels like they could have come up with a better name for it but the same could be said of almost all of Microsoft's endeavors.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I believe this is pretty much it. Technically of course "Smart Delivery" means that you'll get the best version available for your console in the Xbox ecosystem, but in practice it's "available for Xbone and XSX, and whatever you buy it works on both"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Don't they already have that? I thought smart delivery was the console only downloading things like texture sizes for however you're playing the game.

Okay so I was wrong about what Smart Delivery means, but in my defense the naming is weird. Microsoft is still doing what I described though, as is Sony. My understanding is that this is suppose to be a much better system than how it is now, where you download most of the game anyways, get through the tutorial level, and then have to download the rest. Their new delivery/download system is meant to get you into playing games much quicker and be a lot more smart about what it sends you.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
It was "FastStart" that they announced in 2018 as that system for downloading important files first.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/faststart

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah smart delivery is literally just cross-buy, like back in 2013-2014 when a thick stack of games would give you both versions if you bought digitally. So if you (at least digitally) buy any new games they will (ideally) give you both versions, so long as the game distributor is participating in this initiative.

In terms of playing-while-downloading, there will be some advantages on the newer systems because the SSD means they don't have to duplicate data for efficiency like they did in the past (all data sectors of an SSD have an equal delay to access, there's no data fragmentation requiring a mechanical arm to move). That being said, there will still be certain limitations because to get anything on screen and playable and coming out of your speakers there is a reasonably beefy baseline of stuff you absolutely need, so startup will not be instant unless you play via the cloud, and even then it's tricky to reliably vet what data needs to be sent around. Take GTA5, for example. After that first bank robbery you're in the open world and can go anywhere, and you pretty much need "all" the data for the world to function. Maybe you can focus on the city data and not the countryside parts, but then what happens if someone decides to immediately head for that area once the game is launchable, is it just going to be a grey box world?

Weirdly one of the best current-gen games to leverage the systematic data installation was Killzone: Shadow Fall.

- While it's installing, the game's main menu lets you choose to prioritize multiplayer data download or single player data download, and has precise indicators showing where it's at with everything.

- Multiplayer is only playable when the MP package is 100% downloaded since you need all the maps for it to work by its nature.

- When single player is installing it installs the levels in order. So how patient you are will determine how far into the game you can go. So if you play the prologue level fast enough you hit an install progress screen for Level 2, which I think is long enough that, at least if you're installing from disc, you're not going to be able to outrun the installer again.

Halo MCC now (it didn't at launch) lets you selectively install different parts of the game. Is Halo 4 so poo poo you never want to see it again? You can install Halo 4's data but still keep the 1-3 data. Finished all the campaigns? You can ditch all the single player data and just keep the multiplayer data. I think this was Microsoft's "beta" attempt at how digital distribution was going to work in the future.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcsBxA9Q2M0

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’m suddenly in a position where I need to buy some Xbox gift card credit, is anyone doing any deals right now? I remember 7-11 used to do a thing where you’d get months of game pass for buying Xbox gift cards but I think that’s over and I can’t really leave just to go check, y’know

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tei posted:

When I am on the Store, why I can't just watch a video of a game? before I buy a game, I want to know what it looks like.

What happens is I enter the page of a game, and I have to wait, and maybe a video play YAY!, is what I want!, but then the UI loads, and block the video , NOO!!, and If I try to close the UI to get back to the video... it exit the Store app altogether!.

Sometimes I have to switch back and forth a few times until the Store app decide to allow me to watch the video.

All other design decisions... I can learn to navigate, but this is a pain in the rear end and never go away.

I don't have a solution for actually watching the video but it is possible to turn off that auto play for a second nonsense.

I just use YouTube for the game research.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I don't have a solution for actually watching the video but it is possible to turn off that auto play for a second nonsense.

I just use YouTube for the game research.

Youtube is a requirement, because often you want to see actual gameplay, and is rare that a shop to show gameplay. It would be like third option for videos.

But copying the game from the shop is a hassle and should not be necessary if the shop where designer for us, the buyers.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
If I wanted to get an external SSD, it's entirely commodity and I can buy literally anything, right? Any specific models that I should look at for best value? I'm on a Bone S if it matters, so I don't even have the faster BoneX CPU.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

If I wanted to get an external SSD, it's entirely commodity and I can buy literally anything, right? Any specific models that I should look at for best value? I'm on a Bone S if it matters, so I don't even have the faster BoneX CPU.

I have a Samsung drive that works on both my X and S. Basically any SSD will work fine.

Research Unix
Sep 30, 2012
It actually happened! HDMI-CEC support has finally been added to Xbox One. :mmmhmm:

I just noticed it in the device control settings on my Xbox One X. My console is in beta, so it might still only be available in the preview program.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thats great my soundbar blocks their goofy ir method

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wonder if it will make it to the regular xbone

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

I’m suddenly in a position where I need to buy some Xbox gift card credit, is anyone doing any deals right now? I remember 7-11 used to do a thing where you’d get months of game pass for buying Xbox gift cards but I think that’s over and I can’t really leave just to go check, y’know

Don't listen to them Grandma, you don't actually have a virus on your iPad.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Only two things matter for externals: needs to use USB 3 (every external SSD should), and there’s a size minimum. I think officially it’s 256 gigs but you might be able to get away with a 250 or 240 ssd.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Super No Vacancy posted:

thats great my soundbar blocks their goofy ir method

thats godMS telling you to get some real speakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i have real speakers but not a real receiver