Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
like whenever the sequel to a game goes "and we have a new enemy type: dogs!" I gag a little cuz dogs suck so much to fight against in video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

would you say the dogs in resident evil ruined the game for you

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
no but then after I killed one I heard a zombie moaning in a kinda sad way and I realized what I had done and shut the game off

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Stux posted:

would you say the dogs in resident evil ruined the game for you

That twitter account that catalogues which dogs in video games you can pet reminded me that if you save the dog in RE4, he saves you back.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

CharlestonJew posted:

its a mixture between a really dumb feature that some poor programmer probably missed his kid's birthday to implement, the fact that the marketing materials are pushing this one specific feature really hard, and while this is just personal preference, dog enemies suck in video games they're very annoying even though dogs irl are the best

Yeah a whole lot of dev time went into something that most people won't even notice by the time they've mowed down 50+ dogs.

Like I get that the point of it is that you are killing actual people and their pets but when the game play is killing hundreds of randos that are trying to kill you back it kind of loses it's impact a bit.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Firstborn posted:

That twitter account that catalogues which dogs in video games you can pet reminded me that if you save the dog in RE4, he saves you back.

Uh, excuse me, his name is that dog. :colbert:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

like whenever the sequel to a game goes "and we have a new enemy type: dogs!" I gag a little cuz dogs suck so much to fight against in video games

And the best thing is that it is almost always a matter of the dogs being an addition to a system that isn't really meant to handle them. Dogs and enemies that float some distance off the ground and your melee attacks are always above the dog or under the floater and instead of "Oh no, dogs! Don't make me kill dogs, game!" You just really wish games had context sensitive attack animations so that Use Melee On Dog / Floater results in your character actually Using Melee On Dog / Floater.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

after killing my hundredth slime, I dropped my sword and looked down at my hands stained blue. I cried to the heavens, "who is the real monster??"

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

after killing my hundredth slime, I dropped my sword and looked down at my hands stained blue. I cried to the heavens, "who is the real monster??"

dragon quest slimes are very cute

so yes you are the monster :colbert:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Cnidaria posted:

dragon quest slimes are very cute

so yes you are the monster :colbert:

in DQXII, a character comes from off screen after every level up and tabulates every cute monster you killed and how much exp and gold you earned for their deaths and asks you if it was worth it for three skill points

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cnidaria posted:

Yeah a whole lot of dev time went into something that most people won't even notice by the time they've mowed down 50+ dogs.

Like I get that the point of it is that you are killing actual people and their pets but when the game play is killing hundreds of randos that are trying to kill you back it kind of loses it's impact a bit.

maybe the game wants you to avoid killing things by making it bad when you do

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

imo the reaction to a game going "the killing will be bad because its bad to kill" being "make the killing fun for me to do like call of duty" is more telling, than anything. makes u think.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The worst part of dogs as an enemy type is their yelps and cries because you really can’t make a dog do that without hurting it while any dingdong with a microphone can pretend to get a chunk of rebar through its eye and record it so that’s also why it’s hard to fight dogs in games

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
This named dog poo poo feels like it's tailor-made for reviewers so they can more easily write long screeds about how a video game changed the way they think about life (and video games). 95% of players aren't going to give a gently caress, they're going to shoot as many enemies as they need to progress to the next cutscene, say "That rules!/That sucked" at the end, and then never replay the game in the "humane" way the developer intended.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gabby_Jay posted:

This named dog poo poo feels like it's tailor-made for reviewers so they can more easily write long screeds about how a video game changed the way they think about life (and video games). 95% of players aren't going to give a gently caress, they're going to shoot as many enemies as they need to progress to the next cutscene, say "That rules!/That sucked" at the end, and then never replay the game in the "humane" way the developer intended.

so?

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Stux posted:

imo the reaction to a game going "the killing will be bad because its bad to kill" being "make the killing fun for me to do like call of duty" is more telling, than anything. makes u think.

The killing will be fun because it's a AAA third person shooter, and that is what inevitably leads to people being desensitized to the dog name stuff.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

So it's pathetic hackery that stinks of self-congratulatory masturbation.

Which is fine I guess.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Stux posted:

I think games should be fun, OP. If a game makes its main gameplay loop intentionally suck to prove a point, it's a lovely game. Even Spec Ops understood this, the main shooty gun gameplay of that was pretty alright.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Calaveron posted:

The worst part of dogs as an enemy type is their yelps and cries because you really can’t make a dog do that without hurting it while any dingdong with a microphone can pretend to get a chunk of rebar through its eye and record it so that’s also why it’s hard to fight dogs in games

I fuckin wish this was true. My neighbours dog cries for 15 minutes like he’s dying whenever they leave the apartment.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Stux posted:

i'm glad the game and i are in agreement that i shouldn't play it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cnidaria posted:

The killing will be fun because it's a AAA third person shooter, and that is what inevitably leads to people being desensitized to the dog name stuff.

they made the combat in the first game about not killing everything by making the aiming difficult and giving you barely any resources and letting you stealth by large amounts of the encounters, i dont know why theres an assumption the second game will instead be about mowing people down when theyve specifically made the point of saying you never have to kill a single dog

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think games should be fun, OP. If a game makes its main gameplay loop intentionally suck to prove a point, it's a lovely game. Even Spec Ops understood this, the main shooty gun gameplay of that was pretty alright.

a game doesnt have to be fun, its legitimate to make a gameplay loop that is frustrating or difficult to prove a point. spec ops didnt understand it the gameplay is pretty awful.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Gabby_Jay posted:

Depends how many trophies there are for not killing people or dogs I suppose.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Stux posted:

a game doesnt have to be fun, its legitimate to make a gameplay loop that is frustrating or difficult to prove a point. spec ops didnt understand it the gameplay is pretty awful.

I guess we're going to have to fundamentally disagree on the basic point there. I refer to the quote by the great Reggie here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdxEUL18ySY

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

LostRook posted:

So it's pathetic hackery that stinks of self-congratulatory masturbation.

Which is fine I guess.

is this because you dont think nd will do the concept justice and are doing it for that reason or do you think any game doing it would be hackery and self-congratulatory.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

The game play is pretty good in spec-ops, especially for an early 2010s shooter. It has good enemy variety and level design.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

I guess we're going to have to fundamentally disagree on the basic point there. I refer to the quote by the great Reggie here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdxEUL18ySY

i recommend playing getting over it or my summer car to experience why a frustrating gameplay loop can be good and eventually become fun even when extremely player hostile. putting artificial limitations on what things should be is never a good place to start from.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm not fully against the concept of gameplay being 'bad' on purpose to make some kind of point but it needs to be a more interesting or less-trodden point than 'maybe violence is bad???'

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
lol

i enjoyed killing poo poo in tlou1 and I'll probably enjoy it in tlou2

the gameplay mechanics are great for stealthy aggressive play

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm not fully against the concept of gameplay being 'bad' on purpose to make some kind of point but it needs to be a more interesting or less-trodden point than 'maybe violence is bad???'

Also I don't think you would ever see it in a AAA game. Even Death Stranding, a game that heavily discourages killing, gives you non-lethal guns that are functionally equivalent to their lethal counterparts.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the sequence from 16 years ago in mgs3 where a guy can get mad at you for eating the carrion bird that ate him is literally more thought-provoking than this stuff

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

you have misunderstood why people are mocking this.

the killing will be fun, like call of duty; or, like the last of us 1.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

the point isnt very well trodden in AAA games so i think its fine

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
never once in the last of us did I feel like the gameplay was “intentionally bad,” it felt exactly like Uncharted but slightly better

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
We watched the 20 hottest ISIS videos to make the gnarliest executions to date, make sure you kill enemies in contextual situations to see them all!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bonaventure posted:

you have misunderstood why people are mocking this.

the killing will be fun, like call of duty; or, like the last of us 1.

people seem to feel that the detailed violence, the dogs and the stuff where the enemies act distraught wont be fun.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bonaventure posted:

never once in the last of us did I feel like the gameplay was “intentionally bad,” it felt exactly like Uncharted but slightly better

TLoU has a very different feel to the combat. It’s more tense and desperate, less invincible action hero type stuff.

I mean, when you really break it down though that’s all based on superficial parts and you can Rambo the gently caress out of everything eventually, but I can see someone calling the style less “fun”.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Stux posted:

people seem to feel that the detailed violence, the dogs and the stuff where the enemies act distraught wont be fun.

it will be fun to survive against the obstacles thrown in your way to complete the video game, the stupid part is the ~ludonarrative~ stuff they want you to feel as you press R2 to brain someone with a brick

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
There may eventually be a developer that could get me to feel bad about killing people who are hunting me down to torture and murder me but it won't be Naughty Dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
all I know about the game-feel of tlou 1 is that I felt empowered in any given encounter whenever I, as Joel, successfully managed to slit the throats* of 6 dudes in a row without being seen, then got up in the faces of those that were left and blasted them away

*maybe you choke them out as a stealth kill I forget