Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I sent you a PM but I also post it here. You had most of the games that I had keys for but I saw that you lacked Monster Prom in your life and therefore bestowed a key upon you. Have fun!

Oh thanks! Was curious about that when it came out but always forgot to get around to it, looking forward, thank you :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sylphosaurus posted:

Out of curiosity what what classskills were such upgrades that you felt that it broke the game difficulty? I´m just curious since I started to play Outward a year ago but shelved it due to real life concerns and was thinking about starting a new playthrough once the new expansion hit.

I'm currently running a magic pistol build based on the merc, philosopher, and hermit trees. I basically blast things to smithereens using a brace of magically enhanced pistols. I wouldn't necessarily say it was only the classkills, but by the time you make enough money to buy those you can also buy some pretty great weapons. Specifically blood bullet and sigil of wind + 3 preloaded good pistols like the ornate ones you can buy in levant. The sigil of wind turns your bullets into lightning damage AND doubles their damage. This can be combined with the blessed boon which adds another +30% lightning damage.The ornate pistols do like 100 base damage, so you keep a few loaded in your belt and hotkey switch to one after the other. I also use an obsidian pistol to do fire damage and inflict burning on bad guys at the start of the fight (boosted by philosopher fire bonus + amplified +30% warm boon. Blood bullet can be used on an empty pistol to reload it and the damage it does actually heals you. Really the only thing I struggle with at times is being trapped in a closed in environment (like a cave) with a very fast and/or strong enemy or if I get caught with my pants down with no buffs and/or empty pistols because I'm being lazy and not paying attention.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
In a somewhat random Steam observation, I just noticed that "Kings of Lorn", which was originally released in Nov 2019 for $39.99, recently had its price increased to $54.99. I don't think I've ever seen a "complete" game have such a significant price increase so long after its initial release (obviously early access titles are a different situation than this). It's especially odd considering the game only has a 62% "mixed" rating on Steam. So you can currently figure out if you want to spend $10 less and get Doom Eternal, or you can buy DUSK, AMID EVIL, Painkiller Black Edition, AND DOOM 64 for the same loving price.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 9, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Since it is a frankly neither very good nor very popular game and is also self-published by the developers, I can imagine that they decided that since their number of sales was already so low, increasing the price point would increase their profits without significantly impacting the number of future sales. This isn't an uncommon approach for indie games or specialty software. The fewer games you sell, the less point there is in having a low price, really, because the point of price dumping is to increase sales and make up for the loss through numbers. That works very well for games because the production cost is basically entirely up-front - once a game is done, it is done, and whether you sell one game or ten million, you don't really incur much more in the way of further expenses.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
100% of his future sales will be impulse purchases for people who are pretty agnostic about bargain hunting or other such savvy purchasing. So it kinda makes sense. See also: UT2k4, which will never go for sale ever again, is still at $17 local currency.

edit: Square Enix ROM rips, such as Chrono Trigger etc, are being sold for $30+

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Serephina posted:

100% of his future sales will be impulse purchases for people who are pretty agnostic about bargain hunting or other such savvy purchasing. So it kinda makes sense. See also: UT2k4, which will never go for sale ever again, is still at $17 local currency.

How loving dare you compare a medicore game to the greatest game of all time, UT2k4. How dare you. I spit on you.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Serephina posted:

SE was really bad about this a few years ago when they started doing mobile/PC ports of their classic console games but they're much more reasonable now. Chrono Trigger, for example, is $15 base price and was 50% off just two weeks ago

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

been on a bit of an older game kick. I saw that Resident Evil 4 was on sale a weekish ago so I picked it up. Played waaaayy back on the Gamecube when it first came out and never beat it so felt it was to fix that issue. drat this game is awesome. Controls are a bit awkward but once you get used to them its a thrilling action game with dashes of horror mixed in. I will never get sick of suplexing cultists either. Managed to actually finish it this time and im already sizing up a professional run through.

I probably play through this game at least once a year, it's so loving perfect

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think it's pretty uncontroversially the best game ever and nobody really understands why.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There's just so much that is great about it that it's difficult to really lay a finger on anything specific that makes it amazing. RE4 is one of those games that are bigger than the sum of their parts.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Leon Kennedy is unashamedly the best video game character and will be for many years

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In a somewhat random Steam observation, I just noticed that "Kings of Lorn", which was originally released in Nov 2019 for $39.99, recently had its price increased to $54.99. I don't think I've ever seen a "complete" game have such a significant price increase so long after its initial release (obviously early access titles are a different situation than this). It's especially odd considering the game only has a 62% "mixed" rating on Steam. So you can currently figure out if you want to spend $10 less and get Doom Eternal, or you can buy DUSK, AMID EVIL, Painkiller Black Edition, AND DOOM 64 for the same loving price.

the dev answered the question of why in their steam forum

quote:

The price increase was to be fair with console market pricing of the PS4 and eventual release on Xbox One.

Also, our rating of 64% is mostly due to either reviews for issues that have since been fixed or a small amount of players who did not give the game a chance and/or pirated the game afterwards.

lol

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I looked at a review and noticed it said "Product refunded "
https://steamcommunity.com/id/Fizz_Fizzles/recommended/605140/
Is that new? I've never seen that before and I've seen negative reviews with under an hour played that made me think they'd fall into that category.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

They added it in March.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 9, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't like RE4 that much but that's definitely on me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Orv posted:

I don't like RE4 that much but that's definitely on me.

I'm in a similar boat, where I quit playing it due to frustration, but I can see why it's renowned. I should try it again, and I keep meaning to - someday, someday.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I tried playing RE4 on the PC recently and could not get used to how weird the mouse controls are. I think the best version might actually be the Wii version because it has the wiimote aiming system

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I think it's pretty uncontroversially the best game ever and nobody really understands why.

It’s because the reload animations kick rear end.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ymgve posted:

I tried playing RE4 on the PC recently and could not get used to how weird the mouse controls are. I think the best version might actually be the Wii version because it has the wiimote aiming system

Oh hey that could be it, I forgot that was back when I didn't have a controller and played Dark Souls with a keyboard.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh hey that could be it, I forgot that was back when I didn't have a controller and played Dark Souls with a keyboard.
The keyboard controls on PC are godawful. It does things like making you press buttons for quicktime events that aren't even used to control the game. I know I would be frustrated with that. It's definitely something that you should never play without a controller.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

The keyboard controls on PC are godawful. It does things like making you press buttons for quicktime events that aren't even used to control the game. I know I would be frustrated with that. It's definitely something that you should never play without a controller.

Hmmm, I think I have the makings of a Resident Evil themed Halloween month event in my head, at least for myself... I have a controller, a laptop that can play all of the Residents, and a deep curiosity...

(I may start said "Halloween month" in june or july we'll see, I just can't do it now because Umineko)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hmmm, I think I have the makings of a Resident Evil themed Halloween month event in my head, at least for myself... I have a controller, a laptop that can play all of the Residents, and a deep curiosity...

(I may start said "Halloween month" in june or july we'll see, I just can't do it now because Umineko)
Have fun with that. I'm sure by the time you're German Suplexing cultist baddies, you'll love it as much as everyone else does.

VVVV It's also available as a free download in Itch.io, for those who want to try it first.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 9, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Mindustry feels like a cross between Factorio, Anno and TD. There is just something so incredibly relaxing figuring out how to mine and deliver resources to your base/towers/structures. The current campaign is somewhat barebones, but it offers more than enough to play around with. Apparently, the new version will have a much better campaign plus a lot more stuff. Regardless, even the current version is more than worth the asking price.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ymgve posted:

The Wii version was the most fun/easiest version because of the pointer controls, imo.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
And here I thought Wallpaper Engine was the best way to spiffy up your background. You can now have your very own anime girl dancing on your desktop.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm in a similar boat, where I quit playing it due to frustration, but I can see why it's renowned. I should try it again, and I keep meaning to - someday, someday.

Yeah, I am very, very bad at the game but watching my friends play it I can see why it’s held high.

I’d be interested in the remake assuming the controls are easier for babbys.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Blattdorf posted:

And here I thought Wallpaper Engine was the best way to spiffy up your background. You can now have your very own anime girl dancing on your desktop.

Does she dance to the beat of any music you play?

Asking for a friend.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Somewhat complicated question incoming. I use a wired 360 pad for gaming on my PC. Because of the stupid Windows 10 poo poo where the monitor won't turn off while a controller is plugged in (unless it's the 1 in 10 chance that it will) I have it plugged into a hub with a bunch of other devices, so I can just turn it off when I'm not using it instead of plugging/unplugging it. Normally it works great. But every so often, I'll turn the controller port on and the Xbox quadrant on the controller will identify it as player 2 or 3, and most games on steam won't recognize it. The only way I've found to reset it back to controller port 1 is to restart the computer. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on here and how I could prevent that? I have tried going into controller settings in windows device manager but it only gives me the option to remove the controller, not change ports or anything.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Somewhat complicated question incoming. I use a wired 360 pad for gaming on my PC. Because of the stupid Windows 10 poo poo where the monitor won't turn off while a controller is plugged in (unless it's the 1 in 10 chance that it will) I have it plugged into a hub with a bunch of other devices, so I can just turn it off when I'm not using it instead of plugging/unplugging it. Normally it works great. But every so often, I'll turn the controller port on and the Xbox quadrant on the controller will identify it as player 2 or 3, and most games on steam won't recognize it. The only way I've found to reset it back to controller port 1 is to restart the computer. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on here and how I could prevent that? I have tried going into controller settings in windows device manager but it only gives me the option to remove the controller, not change ports or anything.

I know this isn't an answer, but is there a reason you don't use an xbone controller instead? I use one wirelessly for all my pc paming and there are no issues with the monitor not turning off.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I know this isn't an answer, but is there a reason you don't use an xbone controller instead? I use one wirelessly for all my pc paming and there are no issues with the monitor not turning off.

Batteries I guess? I have a stable of rechargeables for my Xbone controllers but my spouse uses the Xbone a lot so we generally just keep the controllers downstairs paired with that. I've had my wired 360 pad for years and this hasn't been an issue until one of the last few windows updates.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

DrNutt posted:

Try holding down the Xbox button for like 5 seconds and see what happens.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I can't give any recommendations on what to do about the controller being recognized in the wrong player slot, but the whole "screen not turning off" thing might be related to the Xbox Live Game Bar app trying to hold on to the monitor even when you're not actively playing a game. The game bar can be used to record game video and audio, which means it hooks into the graphics/screen drivers in some way. The monitor may be thinking that something is monopolizing it because of that even when nothing is happening. Try shutting off the app, it can be done in the Windows settings. It might help.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I use a wired 360 controller and I do not have that screen not turning off issue.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I restarted the computer and it's temporarily fixed, but next time this happens I'll give it a try.

Cardiovorax posted:

I can't give any recommendations on what to do about the controller being recognized in the wrong player slot, but the whole "screen not turning off" thing might be related to the Xbox Live Game Bar app trying to hold on to the monitor even when you're not actively playing a game. The game bar can be used to record game video and audio, which means it hooks into the graphics/screen drivers in some way. The monitor may be thinking that something is monopolizing it because of that even when nothing is happening. Try shutting off the app, it can be done in the Windows settings. It might help.

I already have game bar turned off because it seemed to have a few conflicts with other gaming services, and if I feel like recording something I'll just use OBS or Shadowplay.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Serephina posted:

I really wish UT2k4 would go on sale. I run a server for it since basically anyone with a computer made in the last decade can play it, but someone who’s gaming on a potato is also not usually willing to drop 15 bucks on an ancient game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Blattdorf posted:

now I'm gonna get less work done, somehow

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really wish UT2k4 would go on sale. I run a server for it since basically anyone with a computer made in the last decade can play it, but someone who’s gaming on a potato is also not usually willing to drop 15 bucks on an ancient game.

Does it have to be Steam? Because it goes on sale on GOG for between 1-3$ like every other month and right now it's $9.99.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 10, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hub Cat posted:

Does it have to be Steam? Because it goes on sale on GOG for between 1-3$ like once a month and right now it's $9.99.

Oh, awesome, didn’t think to check there! I mean, either version can connect to the server fine, I’m sure.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

DrNutt posted:

I restarted the computer and it's temporarily fixed, but next time this happens I'll give it a try.

Welp happened again and holding down the Xbox button didn't do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

If I own Civ VI and Gathering Storm, the only thing Rise & Fall adds are the leaders and civs that come with it, right? Because looking over the expansion feature bulletpoints like Governors and Loyalty and Dark Ages and poo poo those seem to all be in the game already . If that's true, that's a pretty solid DLC model, and probably easier on the devs too not having to make sure a bunch of mechanics are balanced retroactively independent from each other