Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arthil posted:

What exactly makes Pathfinder 2nd Edition not compatible with 1e adventures anymore than you being unable to make a 3.0/3.5 adventure work for 5e? (The answer is you can convert them just fine)

You’re making a false comparison here. If you’re not aware, Pathfinder 1e was very very compatible with 3e, as an explicit design goal. You can easily run 3.5 adventures in Pathfinder with no preparation at all, which is a major boost to content being available for the new system, as PinheadSlim said.

Pathfinder 1e to 2e is the kind of work you’re discussing. Nothing works the same way (in terms of numbers if not stats), requiring a lot more effort and preparation to convert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Exactly, which isn't to say it's impossible or anything. It's quite doable. But it's hard enough to convince most players to GM at all. An even smaller percentage of those people will be willing to do the work to convert adventures.

Edit : Seems like something Paizo should do over time

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 9, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arthil posted:

I swear it feels like people here act like DnDBeyond doesn't exist sometimes, or something. Not a PDF technically, I suppose. Though it acts a lot like one via the mobile app. And out of all of my many PDF files for 5E from a lot of various companies, no matter how cleanly it's set up, none of them can compare for accessibility.

I don't pay close enough attention to D&D 5e to know what digital subscription services have permission to host the rulebooks, and my question was partially me asking if any place besides roll20 hosts digital books so the answer is yes I guess? It's not some elaborate conspiracy for me to unperson the digital toolkit/character builder/twitch hookup suite.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
No reason to bring up comp/con, as its in a class by itself and no other tool compares.

D&D Beyond not only exists, I'm pretty sure it makes a really good deal of money.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

Exactly, which isn't to say it's impossible or anything. It's quite doable. But it's hard enough to convince most players to GM at all. An even smaller percentage of those people will be willing to do the work to convert adventures.

Edit : Seems like something Paizo should do over time

They’re already starting on that with the Kingmaker compilation and rerelease.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 22, 2020

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If One Bookshelf collapses I still have all my PDFs from them. When DnDBeyond collapses all the money you spend there is gone. How's that for accessibility?

Fixed.

If a file is not residing on your hard drive or in a physical backup medium in your home / storage unit / bank safety deposit box, you will lose it over a long enough time horizon, and D&DBeyond is doomed the moment it's no longer profitable. One day even Steam will go belly-up, and set off an archival disaster for video games.

If you care about having something in the long term, you need physical possession of it, or the closest digital equivalent.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea especially in a field like RPGs where all it takes for a company to completely shift focuses is a new edition, I have no idea why you'd trust a weird proprietary thing that pinkie promises it'll be around forever so you don't need those nasty PDFs on your own HD.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

sexpig by night posted:

yea especially in a field like RPGs where all it takes for a company to completely shift focuses is a new edition, I have no idea why you'd trust a weird proprietary thing that pinkie promises it'll be around forever so you don't need those nasty PDFs on your own HD.

Convenience.

The service that Beyond Provides is useful to me in that it's easier to navigate through quickly than a PDF file. And allows me to more easily organize campaign characters.

I don't trust Fandom and D&D Beyond outside of like barring an unforeseeable complete collapse they probably aren't going to die within the next 2-3 years.

With Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro or whatever I'm not particularly worried about losing access to the PDF's. As they are out there easily able to be obtained if I need to.

Like if it was for some small indie company, for sure. I would never trust or only pay to have access to a web layer of their game/system. But I'm not particularly ever worried about losing access to D&D 5e pdf's, even if the site I bought them on disappeared.

It's like I never worry about having to own Super Mario World. If I want to play that game there will never be a time in the future where I will want to play that game but won't be able to.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

On the other hand, the 4e character builder definitely did go dead and require a lot of life support that is stupid to have to do to be able to, y'know, interact with it, rather before 4e's lifespan ended.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I have no problem with you believing that Super Mario World is part of a canon that will be copied into the future for the rest of your natural life and the generations beyond; but to say that an RPG product will be like that is a larger leap of faith because of a lack of Mascot IP value.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Gerund posted:

I have no problem with you believing that Super Mario World is part of a canon that will be copied into the future for the rest of your natural life and the generations beyond; but to say that an RPG product will be like that is a larger leap of faith because of a lack of Mascot IP value.

I can still go and find an rom copy of rare single run games that came out in the late 80s.

I am fairly confident in my not needing to keep a copy of the 5e PHB on my hard drive without fear of ever being able to find it again.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I will die waiting for this book to come out.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I've got a lot more confidence in the DnDBeyond team than that, yeah. They're good folks and engage a lot with the community, and while it sounds like most who answered here have trust issues, they've said that if it looks like there comes a time that the service will be ended they'd set up a way to access what you purchased.

I honestly expect Roll20 to end up dead before DnDBeyond, and people gladly shoveled money to them despite it being an actually clunky website where they shove off a lot of potential fixes/QoL features onto needing the API from their Pro subscription.

Even if we end up with a 5.5 Edition or 6, whatever. DnDBeyond would likely continue their business relationship into new editions, and keep the old stuff available as a legacy feature.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's not like WotC haven't taken away access to purchased PDFs before. Sure, they can't do anything about your downloaded copies, but they got DTRPG to stop you from redownloading them if you lost your backups.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's not like WotC haven't taken away access to purchased PDFs before.

I'm sure those will show up on the D&Dahead legacy games service app subscription service any day now, you'll just have to repurchase them which isn't even a problem because they'll for sure be on sale fairly often.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

I will die waiting for this book to come out.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/216643/Spellbound-2e good news, you can live now

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

:unsmith: Ha, you fool. If only that was it...

Crafty Games say they are still working on it, but as they have not released a book in years I assume it will never happen now.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Roadie posted:

The company owner, Bill Webb, has made a habit of sexually harassing women at cons to the point that in 2017 he was nearly arrested at PaizoCon for it. "Nearly" only because the woman who was the target of it asked that he not be... because his wife and kids were there, and she didn't want to leave them stranded in Seattle.

You're forgetting that when the con staff tried to intervene and remove him, he assaulted one of them. They, too, declined to press charges - because the con organizers for Paizo hinted that it might not be good for his relationship with Paizo/PaizoCon to pursue it any further. IIRC, Jessica Price had a tweet thread about it a while back when she left Paizo.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not first-party stuff, no. I have an embarrassing number of third-party stuff from dmsguild/drivethrurpg, though. :sweatdrop:

Also a lot of older D&D stuff.

Fellow 3rd party aficionado in da hizzouse!

What are your faves?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 22, 2020

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

I can't imagine that many people are using Roll20 for PbtA games anyway (maybe a few more these last two months) because there's nothing roll20 adds that's worth dealing with just how clunky it is, unlike games that require a grid and map.

Precisely this, which is why I take that table of stats with a grain of salt. I can well believe that Roll20 gets used a lot for D&D 5E because it is a free and convenient grid setup, but if you're working off a system which isn't tied to a grid and/or tactical positioning and distance measuring, using Roll20 is a completely pointless hassle when Discord is right there. The long-running Mage: the Awakening game I'm in has essentially migrated from Roll20 to Discord at this point.

In fact, I'd say the majority of the games on there gain nothing from Roll20 and the statistics are more interesting for looking into which game's fanbases are fool enough to want that level of technological overkill to run a game that absolutely doesn't need it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I use roll20, because of the battle map options and character and handout management. I like designing my own character sheets so it really doesn't matter what weird system I'm running at the time, I'll have it covered.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Even if you don't need precise measuring and poo poo, having maps and being able to draw on a canvas is still pretty useful

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Role looks interesting as an upcoming alternative to roll20 (as a tabletop) and/or itch (as a marketplace). It looks like they've got character sheets, dice, and cards and if they have even a simple tabletop where you can draw, create text boxes, and upload images then they'd easily be better than the alternatives for a hell of a lot of games.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Once my current game of Avernus is done, I think I'm going to move over at least my games from Roll20 to FoundryVTT

And just import DnDBeyond characters and stuff over there.

I've been messing around with it, and it's pretty slick. And Extremely modular without needing to pay for API access, Just a one time fee for the host, and players can join in.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dexo posted:

Once my current game of Avernus is done, I think I'm going to move over at least my games from Roll20 to FoundryVTT

I first read this as Avernum and was briefly excited at the idea of Spiderweb Software's games getting ported to the tabletop

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Dexo posted:

And just import DnDBeyond characters and stuff over there.

I've been messing around with it, and it's pretty slick. And Extremely modular without needing to pay for API access, Just a one time fee for the host, and players can join in.

FoundryVTT is awesome. I'm learning JavaScript now to make the sheets I need. One time cost, self hosted, tons of features.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The Unknown Armies game I was in basically used Roll20 for two things: relationship maps at the beginning, and very occasional die rolls, because we didn't want to gently caress around with a dice bot.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

That's not the Spellbound I'm waiting with bated breath for. It's Crafty Games' Spellbound which has been supposed to come out for like six years?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

That's not the Spellbound I'm waiting with bated breath for. It's Crafty Games' Spellbound which has been supposed to come out for like six years?

It was a joke on the internet humour forums

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

perhaps you should try a good joke, next time, but an effort was made

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And then there's Spellbound Kingdoms.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

mllaneza posted:

And then there's Spellbound Kingdoms.

Which, of course, has its own forever-delayed magic book.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 22, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Has anyone released Boundbound: a game about bonds yet?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

alg posted:

FoundryVTT is awesome. I'm learning JavaScript now to make the sheets I need. One time cost, self hosted, tons of features.

Seconding FoundryVTT. I'm only just scratching the surface but it already does everything Roll20 does, better and more smoothly, plus more. And then adding the add-ons the community can make into the mix, or just doing it yourself with javascript puts is far beyond. I've never personally used the Fantasy Grounds client from a DM view, but it feels functionally similar/better than that too.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Arivia posted:

It was a joke on the internet humour forums

I apologize for misunderstanding :saddowns:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Idk where the thread about terrible board games is, but Hasbro released a Ms. Monopoly and if you thought the original was trash, this is somehow worse.

https://twitter.com/Stevehastweeted/status/1259277719159877633

https://twitter.com/Stevehastweeted/status/1259280607923798023

https://twitter.com/Stevehastweeted/status/1259285928142667777

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

That cannot be real. I will not believe it.