Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted."

HEY GUNS posted:

I think I'm agreeing with you, I just couldn't remember your name.

No worries, I probably came across a bit defensive too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Randomcheese3 posted:

The flag a ship flies is decided not by the nationality of the owner, but by the country where the ship is registered. Mostly, the change was driven by American owners registering their ships as British.

261 ships was not a lot, compared to the success of the Union blockade of the Confederacy; this captured or sank 1484 ships. The American ocean-going merchant fleet in 1860 was somewhere in the region of 3,500 ships, so the Confederate raiders captured something like 7.5% of it. Unlike the Union blockade, this wasn't significant enough to reduce the Union's ability to import supplies.

This is all interesting to me, and the size scale of merchant fleets is impressive. It reminds me of something I was reading recently about how the cost of shipping plunged over the 18th and 19th centuries, and with so many ships on the seas sailing so much faster than before its easy to understand why.

All these ships flying flags of convenience is curious to me since I thought that was a modern innovation. Were there any consequences to an American shipowner registering it in Britain?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
SU-76I

Queue: T-26 with mine detection equipment, T-34M/T-44 (1941), T-43 (1942), T-43 (1943), Maus development in 1943-44, Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR, Development of Slovakian tank forces 1939-1941, T-46, SU-76M (SU-15M) production, Object 237 (IS-1 prototype), ISU-122, Object 704, Jagdpanzer IV, VK 30.02 DB and other predecessors of the Panther, RSO tank destroyer, Sd.Kfz. 10/4, Czech anti-tank rifles in German service, Hotchkiss H 39/Pz.Kpfw.38H(f) in German service, Flakpanzer 38(t), Grille series, Jagdpanther, Boys and PIAT, Heavy Tank T26E5, History of German diesel engines for tanks, King Tiger trials in the USSR, T-44 prototypes, T-44 prototypes second round, Black Prince, PT-76, M4A3E2 Jumbo Sherman, M4A2 Sherman in the Red Army, T-54, T-44 prototypes, T-44 prototypes second round, T-44 production, Soviet HEAT anti-tank grenades, T-34-85M, Myths of Soviet tank building: interbellum tanks, Light Tank M24, German anti-tank rifles, PT-76 modernizations, ISU-122 front line impressions, German additional tank protection (zimmerit, schurzen, track links), Winter and swamp tracks, Paper light tank destroyers, Allied intel on the Maus , Summary of French interbellum tank development, Medium Tank T20, Medium Tank T23, Myths of Soviet tank building, GMC M10, Tiger II predecessors, Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.H-J,IS-6, SU-101/SU-102/Uralmash-1, Centurion Mk.I, SU-100 front line impressions, IS-2 front line impressions, Myths of Soviet tank building: early Great Patriotic War, Influence of the T-34 on German tank building, Medium Tank T25, Heavy Tank T26/T26E1/T26E3, Career of Harry Knox, GMC M36, Geschützwagen Tiger für 17cm K72 (Sf), Early Early Soviet tank development (MS-1, AN Teplokhod), Career of Semyon Aleksandrovich Ginzburg, AT-1, Object 140, SU-76 frontline impressions, Creation of the IS-3, IS-6, SU-5, Myths of Soviet tank building: 1943-44, IS-2 post-war modifications, Myths of Soviet tank building: end of the Great Patriotic War

Available for request:

:911:
HMC M7 Priest

:godwin:
15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf)
Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles

:finland:
Lahti L-39

:france:
AMR 35 ZT

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 9, 2020

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ensign Expendable posted:

Available for request:

:ussr:
Myths of Soviet tank building: 1943-44
IS-2 post-war modifications
Myths of Soviet tank building: end of the Great Patriotic War NEW
Gotta ask for these, please.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

holy lol

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm a little surprised that ships would go through the effort of entirely re-registering instead of just swapping out flags with no regard to legal procedure.

I was listening to a podcast on airline disasters, and it got me wondering whether anybody has actually tried sending a military attack plane disguised as a commercial airliner? Or at least, has there ever been a confirmed case of that, since I've heard that there's some real :tinfoil: about that.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
edit: not the Stark... dangit, the Iraqis or Iranians had a civilian plane with a cobbled on radar and missile.

edit again! I cannot find it? Was it a dream?

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 9, 2020

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Buster sword got nothing on these

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

LRADIKAL posted:

edit: not the Stark... dangit, the Iraqis or Iranians had a civilian plane with a cobbled on radar and missile.

edit again! I cannot find it? Was it a dream?

A Learjet with an Exocet iirc

e: can't find anything either so likely I'm misremembering

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 9, 2020

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

a face hugger!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm a little surprised that ships would go through the effort of entirely re-registering instead of just swapping out flags with no regard to legal procedure.

I was listening to a podcast on airline disasters, and it got me wondering whether anybody has actually tried sending a military attack plane disguised as a commercial airliner? Or at least, has there ever been a confirmed case of that, since I've heard that there's some real :tinfoil: about that.
I imagine if you're flying a flag without being duly legally registered in that country, it's now open season on your rear end.

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Merely hoisting the flag doesn't actually give you any legal protection. If an enemy ship stops you, they are allowed to capture your ship (and sink it if necessary), no matter what cargo you're carrying. If you're registered in a neutral country, your ship is protected unless it is carrying contraband.

aphid_licker posted:

A Learjet with an Exocet iirc

It was a Dassault Falcon 50. It wasn't fully in the civilian configuration, as they'd rebuilt the nose to fit the radar, but it was close.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Randomcheese3 posted:

Merely hoisting the flag doesn't actually give you any legal protection. If an enemy ship stops you, they are allowed to capture your ship (and sink it if necessary), no matter what cargo you're carrying. If you're registered in a neutral country, your ship is protected unless it is carrying contraband.

How does that work though? Were there regular inspectors pulling over passing merchant ships with copies of the entire registry to check against? Could raiders identify individual ships from a distance to see if they matched any known enemy merchant ships? Did they open fire and sink ships that tried to get away and avoid being closely inspected?

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

How does that work though? Were there regular inspectors pulling over passing merchant ships with copies of the entire registry to check against? Could raiders identify individual ships from a distance to see if they matched any known enemy merchant ships? Did they open fire and sink ships that tried to get away and avoid being closely inspected?

Generally, warships would stop and inspect any ship that was suspicious - in the case I'm most familiar with, the RN's blockade of Germany in WWI, this essentially meant any neutral ship passing through the Dover Straits or the northern entrances to the North Sea. The inspection would involve sending over a boarding party to check the cargo, the vessel's papers and its manifest. If all was in order, the ship was allowed to proceed to its destination. If not, a prize crew would be put aboard, and it would be taken to a British port for a more detailed examination. British warships carried copies of Lloyd's Register, which gave the name, nationality and tonnage of every merchant at sea; by comparing this very general description with the ship in question, a captain could determine whether or not a ship was suspicious.

An example of this came on the 16th March 1917, when the German auxiliary cruiser Leopard was stopped by HMS Achilles and the armed boarding steamer Dundee. Leopard was disguised as a Norwegian merchant ship, the Rena. However, the captain of Dundee noted that, while the real Rena displaced 3,000 tons, the ship they had stopped was considerably larger. A boarding party was sent across, and when this was detained, a brief engagement ensued, with the Leopard, badly outgunned, being switly sunk.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

The procedure during the American Civil War was pretty much as Randomcheese outlined for WW1 - it was all based on the traditional 'cruiser rules' which were mutually agreed in the 17th century (during the Anglo-Dutch Wars, IIRC) even if they wouldn't be formalised until much later.

Merchants cannot be fired on without warning. Merchants of an enemy nation have to be stopped, then it's crew must be taken aboard the warship and detained as PoWs before the ship is sunk or captured as a prize and its crew are dropped ashore at the nearest port.

Neutral merchants of any flag can be required to be stopped and searched by a combatant warship. Carrying ontraband (the definition of which was extremely open to interpretation as anything which might aid the enemy) did not necessarily cause a neutral merchant ship to lose its protection - in theory it could but in practice admiralty courts needed more damning evidence such as trying to run a close blockade of a specific enemy port or sailing under false flag/registry/papers.

In the 1860s as in WW1, warships carried registers to check a merchant's identity and boarding parties would want to see the logbook, charts and accounts to check on where the ship had been and when.

It's not easy to change a ship's identity - a lot of equipment and items are required or were expected to carry the name and port of registry on them. More importantly, all ships have to have their name, port of registry and registered tonnage permanently and unalterably displayed in a prominent place - carved into a main deck beam on wooden ships or stamped/engraved into a bulkhead on a metal one. This is where the maritime tradition of it being 'bad luck' to change a ship's name came from - it was a right pain to do from a practical standpoint. You couldn't just swap the name plates or paint a new port of registry on the back and not be found out almost instantly by an inspection party.

A merchant found sailing under a false identity could be treated as a combatant and seized or sunk, although it was still required to ensure the safety of the crew. A ship failing to stop when required would be treated as hostile and could be disabled or destroyed.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The Argentinians used Learjets in the Falklands, crazy stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escuadr%F3n_F%E9nix

That's probably what got me on the Learjet.

e: my browser or something else always fucks up encoding of special letters in my posts, sorry, put "escuadron fenix" into Wikipedia.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Randomcheese3 posted:

It was a Dassault Falcon 50. It wasn't fully in the civilian configuration, as they'd rebuilt the nose to fit the radar, but it was close.

It also got the fire control system from a Mirage F.1EQ-5 and the right side of the cockpit were replaced with the controls from the same Mirage variant. The left side was the normal controls for a Falcon. And it got the hardpoints for two Exocet launchers. Both of which were fired in anger at the USS Stark during the Iran-Iraq war. These weren't modifications done by the Iraqis but by Dassault.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BalloonFish posted:

The procedure during the American Civil War was pretty much as Randomcheese outlined for WW1 - it was all based on the traditional 'cruiser rules' which were mutually agreed in the 17th century (during the Anglo-Dutch Wars, IIRC) even if they wouldn't be formalised until much later.

Merchants cannot be fired on without warning. Merchants of an enemy nation have to be stopped, then it's crew must be taken aboard the warship and detained as PoWs before the ship is sunk or captured as a prize and its crew are dropped ashore at the nearest port.

Neutral merchants of any flag can be required to be stopped and searched by a combatant warship. Carrying ontraband (the definition of which was extremely open to interpretation as anything which might aid the enemy) did not necessarily cause a neutral merchant ship to lose its protection - in theory it could but in practice admiralty courts needed more damning evidence such as trying to run a close blockade of a specific enemy port or sailing under false flag/registry/papers.

In the 1860s as in WW1, warships carried registers to check a merchant's identity and boarding parties would want to see the logbook, charts and accounts to check on where the ship had been and when.

It's not easy to change a ship's identity - a lot of equipment and items are required or were expected to carry the name and port of registry on them. More importantly, all ships have to have their name, port of registry and registered tonnage permanently and unalterably displayed in a prominent place - carved into a main deck beam on wooden ships or stamped/engraved into a bulkhead on a metal one. This is where the maritime tradition of it being 'bad luck' to change a ship's name came from - it was a right pain to do from a practical standpoint. You couldn't just swap the name plates or paint a new port of registry on the back and not be found out almost instantly by an inspection party.

A merchant found sailing under a false identity could be treated as a combatant and seized or sunk, although it was still required to ensure the safety of the crew. A ship failing to stop when required would be treated as hostile and could be disabled or destroyed.

What's to stop someone from saying they tried to stop you and you failed to listen? The value of a ship as prize?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's to stop someone from saying they tried to stop you and you failed to listen? The value of a ship as prize?
I think this is where the admirality court comes into play, and if you don't want to do the admirality court, congratulations, now you're having a war instead.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nessus posted:

I think this is where the admirality court comes into play, and if you don't want to do the admirality court, congratulations, now you're having a war instead.

it's lawsuits all the way down, isn't it

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

HEY GUNS posted:

it's lawsuits all the way down, isn't it

War is lawsuits by other means?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I see to recall there being a bit of minor controversy over the Union deciding that 'cotton' was now contraband (not the kind that anyone else chose the press the point on, mind you).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I've not yet finished it but Porter Alexander's Military Memoirs of a Confederate is a really good read. You just kinda have to understand who he was, but he does a good job of explaining his points and getting into detail about some of the more mundane aspects of the war, like signaling.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MadDogMike posted:

War is lawsuits by other means?

War is large-scale armed robbery.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

FuturePastNow posted:

War is large-scale armed robbery.

Robbery would imply that stealing slaves to set free was unethical.

The Civil war for all its issues was probably the most ethical war our nation has ever fought.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

The Civil war for all its issues was probably the most ethical war our nation has ever fought.

I mean, depending which side you were on ofc :shobon:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

It is to the everlasting credit of this country (part of it, anyway) that the Civil War freed many slaves and led to the freedom of the remainder, but most wars involving the topic were more about "taking" slaves.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

LingcodKilla posted:

The southern states committed kidnapping first :colbert:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Would you always be able to tell where a ford was or were there places where a shallow enough bed was otherwise obscured and has there ever been a historical example of a hitherto (?) unknown river crossing being decisive? If I was making a turn based strategy/tactics game and could give scouts orders to attempt a crossing would it be possible for it to be all "you have discovered a fordable crossing" where before there was just a normal, ostensibly impassable barrier.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I love how my weird questions always kill the thread for several hours

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I love how my weird questions always kill the thread for several hours

i think it would work. the thing with river fords is the river level actually changes over time. So with rain and weather and snow, a single location may be passable one day but not the next. On longer time scales fords can shift over time as the river meanders and sandbars shift within the bed. So the location of fords can change from year to year, and that makes them hard to map and record.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

It's definitely realistic for a rapidly scouted ford to prove decisive in battle. One example that comes to mind is at the Battle of Assaye between the East India Company and the Maratha Confederacy, the Marathas set up on the known crossing point. General Wellesley (that Wellesley) guessed from the position of two villages on the river Kaitna that there was a ford, and managed a flanking attack, which defeated the Marathas and lead to EIC dominance over the subcontinent.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Finally, an honest and accurate retelling of the Battle of the Atlantic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vbgP_ohzkI

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tell me again how inflated sheep's bladders can be employed to prevent earthquakes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GotLag posted:

Finally, an honest and accurate retelling of the Battle of the Atlantic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vbgP_ohzkI

I love how the trailer transitions from 'pretty decent depiction' to 'broadsiding a u-boat on the surface... yeah okay, I bet there's a few recorded instances of that actually happening', to 'the german commander is talking on the... what is going on now?'.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm kinda past being too bothered about films trying to find exciting ways to depict ASW.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If you're in the sub, like a horror movie?

e: or if you're not in the sub

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Alchenar posted:

I love how the trailer transitions from 'pretty decent depiction' to 'broadsiding a u-boat on the surface... yeah okay, I bet there's a few recorded instances of that actually happening', to 'the german commander is talking on the... what is going on now?'.
Yeah I was like "Ok, the sonar's inaccurate but it probably is a better way to - did he just loving parry a Nazi torpedo?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Milo and POTUS posted:

If you're in the sub, like a horror movie?

e: or if you're not in the sub

:denmark: