Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Straight White Shark posted:

As I understand it you get to allocate dice of any color (as long as that pod is still alive), so you can use other colors that have faces with 5+ to try to beat the green TN. I also don't see anything in there saying that you have to allocate your dice equally among the pods under attack, so you can throw 5+ dice at the 16 TN green pod.

The luck management aspect is a start, but when you started describing your inspiration I thought you were actually going to go full Sealab and have it be a hybrid coop-competitive or traitor coop. I think it would get a lot more interesting if players had reasons to be selfish. Make pods worth differing amounts to different players--give them skewed distributions of die colors, or hidden objectives to blow up a specific pod, something.

Ah, yeah, I kinda like the idea of different pods being worth more/less for other players. Quinn gets 3 points if the Green Pod survives til the end. Stormy gets 3 points if the Yellow pod survives til the end. Maybe something like that to get players to prioritize certain pods when they're in danger.

Aramoro posted:

Ah ok, I thought the dice got allocated to the pods of the same colour and you rolled those colour of dice to set the tn's for some reason.

Sorry for the mixup. My first time writing down everything for the game like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rotten Cookies posted:

Ah, yeah, I kinda like the idea of different pods being worth more/less for other players. Quinn gets 3 points if the Green Pod survives til the end. Stormy gets 3 points if the Yellow pod survives til the end. Maybe something like that to get players to prioritize certain pods when they're in danger.

I think you're going to have more luck making it a sabotage objective. If your objective is to keep the green pod alive until the end, as soon as the green pod blows you're probably locked out of first place and don't have much reason to care about the game anymore. If your objective is to get the green pod destroyed you've still got a shot until the very end.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

When I force my friends to playtest this I might have a 2nd version that goes all in on the secret sabotage. Hidden dice allocation (somehow?), secret sabotage goals. But still you only collectively win if remaining pods are safe. Probably Saturday

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I had an awesome play test of White Hat this past weekend and think I've finally solved the end game and scoring mechanics.

Instead of converting everything to bitcoin and bitcoin to bonus points, bonus points are handled by secret goal cards that get passed out to each player. This gives each player something extra to work towards beyond just racing to patch all 4 vulnerabilities. At the end of the game the goal cards are revealed, and every player scores each card.

I also tweaked the patching mechanics a little bit. Instead of Discover and Patch, there's Discover, Confirm, Patch, Release. Splitting it up further like this made the system less clunky, and a bit closer to the real world workflow.

Discover, which is spending the code blocks, only has to be done once, rather than repeated on a failed die roll.
Confirm is the die roll, that unlocks the ability to peak at a vulnerability card.
Patch is spending the application cubes to patch the vulnerability
Release is getting the QA/Pen Test dice back to 6.

The game is built on The Game Crafter now as well, so it's easy to have new prototypes printed up. I enhanced the artwork a bit, and set it up to print tokens and everything. I'm excited to get my first print. Sadly, the prototypes cost $200 which makes them too expensive to actually try and self-publish the way I did with Walking Doggos. Oh well, I really want to get this professionally published anyways. It's going to happen. I believe.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

When I force my friends to playtest this I might have a 2nd version that goes all in on the secret sabotage. Hidden dice allocation (somehow?), secret sabotage goals. But still you only collectively win if remaining pods are safe. Probably Saturday

You're halfway to just having a stripped down Battlestar Galactica at that point.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Oh hay, thread is active again.

I had an idea for a game called Logical Choices. The inspiration for this is watching hypnotized people explain why they are doing something odd that the hypnotist is asking them to do.

Players have x number of cards dealt to them. They need to string them into a sentence and give a logical reason why they would be doing the actions. They win by adding the points on the card and by convincing the other players that there could be a Logical Reason why someone would be doing these things. Here's an incomplete list of options that might show up on a card. The "while you..." card would allow you to string actions together for more points.

Players would have a card (or more) from each column and maybe there'd be some trading back and forth or a pile they pull from in turn. That's the rough idea. It would just be cards (50 or so), no props included. What do you think?

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
I've been playing around with an idea for Settlers of Catan, to decrease the variation on returns provided to each player by luck. Meant to be almost like a Roll and Write type mechanic. My current attempt is:

- Play with one of the small card games for the main victory point objectives;
- Place 1 hex of each resource on the table. Put 2 number tiles on each, so that 2-12 is all on the board (no 7).
- Roll 4 dice, and each player independently chooses how to pair them, to get 2 resources. ie: roll a 2,2,4,5. Person A pairs the 2's together to make a 4, and the 5+4 together to make a 9. The other player pairs the 4+2 and the 5+2. If the 4 tile is on wheat, and the 9 tile is on wood, the first player gets a wheat and wood, etc.
-An alternative approach I considered would be to roll 3 coloured dice, say red blue and green. You pick which 2 dice form the resource gathering number, and which colour is left over, giving you a bonus. Like, if you roll r=2, b=4, y=5, you could form a 6 with yellow left over (say yellow gives a free wheat or something), or a 7 with blue leftover (say blue lets you steal a resource), or a 9 with a red leftover.

Adtwr resource gathering, I was also testing out some unique bidding stuff, but that's enough for now.

I had some problems based on getting people to understand the mechanics, and most players just took the same resources as whoever first decided, so it ended up being symmetrical. Lots to work through if I want to keep trying on it.

Does any of this sound interesting to anyone?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Frozen Peach posted:

I had an awesome play test of White Hat this past weekend and think I've finally solved the end game and scoring mechanics.

Instead of converting everything to bitcoin and bitcoin to bonus points, bonus points are handled by secret goal cards that get passed out to each player. This gives each player something extra to work towards beyond just racing to patch all 4 vulnerabilities. At the end of the game the goal cards are revealed, and every player scores each card.

I also tweaked the patching mechanics a little bit. Instead of Discover and Patch, there's Discover, Confirm, Patch, Release. Splitting it up further like this made the system less clunky, and a bit closer to the real world workflow.

Discover, which is spending the code blocks, only has to be done once, rather than repeated on a failed die roll.
Confirm is the die roll, that unlocks the ability to peak at a vulnerability card.
Patch is spending the application cubes to patch the vulnerability
Release is getting the QA/Pen Test dice back to 6.

The game is built on The Game Crafter now as well, so it's easy to have new prototypes printed up. I enhanced the artwork a bit, and set it up to print tokens and everything. I'm excited to get my first print. Sadly, the prototypes cost $200 which makes them too expensive to actually try and self-publish the way I did with Walking Doggos. Oh well, I really want to get this professionally published anyways. It's going to happen. I believe.

That's super cool! Your game* has always sounded neat to me (please specify how much of each player's cryptocurrency gets hacked/exit-scammed at game end tho), and good luck!!

*well Walking Doggos too, but we're mostly talking about White Hat here.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Grace Baiting posted:

That's super cool! Your game* has always sounded neat to me (please specify how much of each player's cryptocurrency gets hacked/exit-scammed at game end tho), and good luck!!

*well Walking Doggos too, but we're mostly talking about White Hat here.

I really want to include some anti-cryptocurrency mechanics, but I can't figure out a way to make those fun. Maybe if I get published and they want me to make an expansion that'll be a feature of the Black Hat expansion.

Walking Doggos is great fun

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Frozen Peach posted:

I really want to include some anti-cryptocurrency mechanics, but I can't figure out a way to make those fun. Maybe if I get published and they want me to make an expansion that'll be a feature of the Black Hat expansion.

Walking Doggos is great fun

oops 51% attack forked all your transactions, need to keep that mining pool diverse.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

One idea I had was a event deck. Each turn you read an event card that makes random poo poo happen. That'd allow me to have all the players have the same bad thing happen to them. Early editions of the game allowed you to hack other players' computer and run code on them, which I'd love to bring back in an expansion. You could then steal resources from players, or utilize their CPU resources for your own gain.

Definitely stuff I want to bring back if an expansion happens, but for the first edition I quickly discovered I should polish the core before adding more mechanics to the mix.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
"The local government bans sales of hydro power to mining operations. This Is Good for Bitcoin because..."

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

"A hacker realizes he threw out a hard drive storing your bitcoin wallet. permanently lose a hacker as they search the local dump or lose all your bitcoin"

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Another awesome playtest tonight. The new end game scoring cards made a HUGE difference but were almost too easy to accomplish. I made a few tweaks to the cards and hoping that makes a difference.

I also found a few minor timing issues with the new changes from my last playtest that were ironed out by redesigning playerboards a bit.

I'M SO CLOSE!!!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Prototype 3.0

The blue/purple/pink cards printed out darker than I expected. Future versions will have more differentiation of color. The CPU tokens are slightly too big for the player boards, so those need reprinted in a smaller chit size. Otherwise it's a huge improvement. The GPUs turned out great, but I need to see if I can cut them manually or if I have to take it a step further and figure out the cut pattern templates for The Game Crafter.

As an experiment I ordered the acrylic meeples and wooden cubes from The Game Crafter with this release. I decided wooden meeples are far superior, and to go with 8mm wooden cubes for application resources, 10mm acrylic transparent cubes for CPU/GPU cores, and 8/12mm cubes for code blocks and cryptocurrency. Version 3.5 is ordered with those changes and I'm pretty happy with how my prototype looks now.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Reprints came through and turned out amazingly. I even went a step further and made custom cut lines for my GPUs so they'd be even better.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Frozen Peach posted:

Prototype 3.0

The blue/purple/pink cards printed out darker than I expected. Future versions will have more differentiation of color. The CPU tokens are slightly too big for the player boards, so those need reprinted in a smaller chit size. Otherwise it's a huge improvement. The GPUs turned out great, but I need to see if I can cut them manually or if I have to take it a step further and figure out the cut pattern templates for The Game Crafter.

As an experiment I ordered the acrylic meeples and wooden cubes from The Game Crafter with this release. I decided wooden meeples are far superior, and to go with 8mm wooden cubes for application resources, 10mm acrylic transparent cubes for CPU/GPU cores, and 8/12mm cubes for code blocks and cryptocurrency. Version 3.5 is ordered with those changes and I'm pretty happy with how my prototype looks now.
Are there any plans to make a TTS module? I’d love to play this. IDK if that’d rankle your publisher, though.

Hell, I’ve made TTS modules before (I threw together one for the Final Attack PnP back when that was getting Kickstarted), I could probably give it a shot if you wanted to hit me up and talk about it. I’m extremely amateur and it probably wouldn’t exactly be pretty, but it might be helpful for more playtesting?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

Are there any plans to make a TTS module? I’d love to play this. IDK if that’d rankle your publisher, though.

Hell, I’ve made TTS modules before (I threw together one for the Final Attack PnP back when that was getting Kickstarted), I could probably give it a shot if you wanted to hit me up and talk about it. I’m extremely amateur and it probably wouldn’t exactly be pretty, but it might be helpful for more playtesting?

A slightly older build is up on TTS right now: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1827367585

I need to update it with some changes that I've made recently.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, nice! I’d love to play it some time, if you’re up for teaching.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

I am looking for playtesters for The Feast of Pikes, a hybrid deck building game set during the French Revolution. I've done in-house testing and have the engine working, but I would love to get feedback on everything.

The basic idea is that the players are manipulating people and events during the Revolution in order to score points with one of three factions (Revolutionary, Royalist, and Military). One faction will come out on top at the end of the game, and the player with the most points with the victorious faction will win. This means you have to balance scoring points for yourself with making sure that your chosen faction wins. This gets even more complex as you interact with your opponents - you may choose to form temporary alliances, or go hyper aggressive and attack your opponents' forces or deck.

The game supports 2-4 players and takes about two hours to play. It draws inspiration from Tyrants of the Underdark and the Pax series of games, particularly Pax Pamir. If you enjoy this kind of thing you might find it interesting.

If you would be interested in playtesting, please send me a PM with your email and I will link you to the print and play files.

Some photos of my prototype:

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

[Deleted]

Noam Chomsky fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 26, 2020

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Gilgameshback posted:

I am looking for playtesters for The Feast of Pikes, a hybrid deck building game set during the French Revolution. I've done in-house testing and have the engine working, but I would love to get feedback on everything.

The basic idea is that the players are manipulating people and events during the Revolution in order to score points with one of three factions (Revolutionary, Royalist, and Military). One faction will come out on top at the end of the game, and the player with the most points with the victorious faction will win. This means you have to balance scoring points for yourself with making sure that your chosen faction wins. This gets even more complex as you interact with your opponents - you may choose to form temporary alliances, or go hyper aggressive and attack your opponents' forces or deck.

The game supports 2-4 players and takes about two hours to play. It draws inspiration from Tyrants of the Underdark and the Pax series of games, particularly Pax Pamir. If you enjoy this kind of thing you might find it interesting.

If you would be interested in play testing , please send me a PM with your email and I will link you to the print and play files.

Some photos of my prototype:

This looks really cool. We're not doing physical play tests at the moment for obvious reasons but I'd be happy to at least look at the roles if you want. Email is username at gmail

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
This is a cool thread.

I wanted to try designing my own games, is there a good place to get erasable pieces? I wanted some hexes, white circle type tokens, square type tokens, maybe some mans pawns or something, maybe a spinner, I have magic cards and sleeves so I can make my own cards.

I saw some of this stuff on amazon but I was wondering if there is some go to to get a decent set of dry erase everything, or if there is an established better way.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

This is a cool thread.

I wanted to try designing my own games, is there a good place to get erasable pieces? I wanted some hexes, white circle type tokens, square type tokens, maybe some mans pawns or something, maybe a spinner, I have magic cards and sleeves so I can make my own cards.

I saw some of this stuff on amazon but I was wondering if there is some go to to get a decent set of dry erase everything, or if there is an established better way.

The Game Crafter has a ton of pieces and cards and such for sale.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

This is a cool thread.

If we weren't in the middle of the apocalypse, I'd recommend checking out your local arts and crafts store (Hobby Lobby/Michaels/non-terrible third option), too. Lots of tiny wooden bits and bobs there for a lot cheaper than you'd be paying TGC for.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I've bought a ton of cubes, discs and sticks from this 18xx site: https://www.railsonboards.com/our-shop/

Edit: I bought things in six colors, the magic colors + purple, and then like 50 of each disc size, 100 of each cube, and 50 sticks of each color. It was... pricey, but I didn't find any other site that actually offered all of these things at a better price.

Based in Poland (?), but the shipping to the US was actually cheap and quick-ish.

Meeples and dice I got from Amazon.

Flat glass bead tokens came from craft stores.

Then random bits from craft stores that I thought might be useful, like bead sets that I haven't used yet.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 30, 2020

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I have a pitch meeting tomorrow with a major publisher. I'm freaking out!

Wish me luck!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

GOOD LUCK and also STAY SAFE + HEALTHY

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Grace Baiting posted:

also STAY SAFE + HEALTHY

It's over Skype :D but yes

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
I just came back to SA after a long absence and it's cool to see this thread, because when I last posted I was just getting started as a designer and I'm one of the lucky few who gets to call it their full time job. Super inspiring to look through the thread and see all the creativity.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I believe someone said to make sure both of you stay at least 3 feet from the monitor, though...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sarx posted:

I just came back to SA after a long absence and it's cool to see this thread, because when I last posted I was just getting started as a designer and I'm one of the lucky few who gets to call it their full time job. Super inspiring to look through the thread and see all the creativity.

Holy poo poo, you're not kidding. What games do you have?

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

silvergoose posted:

Holy poo poo, you're not kidding. What games do you have?

I did the initial design on an app-enabled RPG/Storytelling game called Weave.

Then I moved to a place called Forrest-Pruzan Creative that did the creative work on a lot of Ravensberger, Asmodee, and Big G games for mass market. My first big project that I worked on was Villainous and its first two expansions. I also worked on the first Choose Your Own Adventure: House of Danger game. I worked on the Jaws game. I worked on a Brady Bunch social deduction game that I think might be my favorite gameplay honestly... I did some work on the upcoming Marvel Villainous and Wonder Woman games.

We got purchased by Funko last year so I did a bunch of work on the Funkoverse system and the upcoming Godzilla: Tokyo Clash game we have coming out later this year.

Then obviously I'm working on stuff now that I can't talk about yet since it's not announced.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

A swing and a miss :(

Onto the next pitch! (Whenever that might be)

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Frozen Peach posted:

A swing and a miss :(

Onto the next pitch! (Whenever that might be)

The face time is still super valuable so don't see it as too big of a loss. Are they a publisher that has a public list of what they're looking for? Or were you able to leverage that information in your pitch? One thing I don't miss about my brief time freelancing was having to just kind of toil in the dark and hope there were publishers out there who wanted the same things I wanted to make/play? Publishers are getting better about putting that information out there, but sometimes you can get it out in a meeting.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Sarx posted:

The face time is still super valuable so don't see it as too big of a loss. Are they a publisher that has a public list of what they're looking for? Or were you able to leverage that information in your pitch? One thing I don't miss about my brief time freelancing was having to just kind of toil in the dark and hope there were publishers out there who wanted the same things I wanted to make/play? Publishers are getting better about putting that information out there, but sometimes you can get it out in a meeting.

Facetime is super valuable, you're right. The company I pitched to has what they're looking for, and loved what they saw from me. They just didn't think they'd be able to market it and give it the attention it deserves. It was also too heavy for what they're ideally looking for in a game, which is disappointing but understandable. The feedback I got on the game itself was invaluable, as well as their feedback on my pitch.

Honestly the pitch went great. It was amazing practice, and the guy I was pitching to said to never hesitate to send him what I'm working on.

I still have one company out there with a copy of the game, that is my first choice as a publisher. We'll see if they bite once this pandemic mess calms down.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
I'm at that part in the cycle of the year where we're pitching and starting all new projects in our studio (though now working from home). Is anybody starting any new projects? Do you find starting new projects easy, or is it one of the more difficult parts of your process?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Frozen Peach posted:

and the guy I was pitching to said to never hesitate to send him what I'm working on.
:eyepop:

That's the kind of thing you dream about hearing from a publisher.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Sarx posted:

I'm at that part in the cycle of the year where we're pitching and starting all new projects in our studio (though now working from home). Is anybody starting any new projects? Do you find starting new projects easy, or is it one of the more difficult parts of your process?

Depends on how you define "starting a new project."

There's a grey area between not having a project, and having a project, that I can't define. My current design came about because a friend of mine and I were talking about game themes and he mentioned that he wanted to see more hacking themed games. Does that count as the start of the project, or does the point where I had an idea for a game based on that theme the start of the project? It wasn't until months later that I went from "friend thinks theme good" to "huh I have an idea for a game."

It doesn't feel hard to get started, assuming there's a project to start. Once I get an actual idea for a game, I can run with it pretty quickly.

For me, the hardest part of design is the polish. The tiny tweaks during the final stages of the game seem to take the longest and are the hardest to playtest.

PMush Perfect posted:

:eyepop:

That's the kind of thing you dream about hearing from a publisher.

I know, right? It's wild.

Anyways it's 2:30am and I just figured out a huge fix for one of the nagging issues I had with White Hat. One of those super tiny tweaks that just makes a whole chunk of the game somehow better. I'm excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

I've been testing a TTS prototype for a game I'm building, and it's been going well, so I'd like to commission some slightly better art and graphic design assets for it. My instinct is to hit up Fiver or a related, but I don't have much experience with what's reasonable for price point, as I want to make sure I'm compensating folks fairly. I'd be looking to make better templates for about 15 different types of card (front and back), some icon design for a symbol library of about 20 elements, art for the main gameboard, and potentially art for about 200 card elements. If anyone has a recommendation about a particular person, I'm all ears.