Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I didn't have much trouble with dark Angela. I was 5 levels higher than her though. I just dodge rolled and cast stuff at her whenever she vomited herself to a long casting time spell. Like some of the big area effect ones if I got out of the way I could pop off two Lucent Beam+ while her attack animation had to finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just started the game and I picked Hawkeye, Angela I think her name is (Mage in a red dress) and this horrible gremlin child

I heard that there's a class change feature that opens up into the game and you can make some pretty bad choices so should I look up a guide when the time comes to know what to do with them?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just started the game and I picked Hawkeye, Angela I think her name is (Mage in a red dress) and this horrible gremlin child

I heard that there's a class change feature that opens up into the game and you can make some pretty bad choices so should I look up a guide when the time comes to know what to do with them?

You can look one up if you want, but in the remake there aren't really any bad choices. The worst thing you can do is give yourself a loadout with no offense and since you picked Angela that won't be an issue for you.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Yeah, pick whichever of Charlotte's paths is more offensive and then anything goes.

Angela works in any upgrade, she's a valley girl nuke no matter what. Light path has better mana conservation though.
Light Hawk is a buffer/physical iirc, the dark path is more of a debuffer/caster. In the original light was a trap, here it works; ninja is still a monster.
No clue on what Charlotte does in the remake (beyond always having full party heals).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

this horrible gremlin child

:perfect:

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Honestly this game is easy enough that you can just pick whoever and still beat everything. The SNES version was another story but pretty much anything goes in this version. Some of Charlotte's lines later on show that someone really had some fun writing her, with the odd obscene threat delivered in babytalk mixed in with all the crying.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This remake is great. They should remake Secret of Mana next! :suicide:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Edit: double post

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I didn't have much trouble with dark Angela. I was 5 levels higher than her though. I just dodge rolled and cast stuff at her whenever she vomited herself to a long casting time spell. Like some of the big area effect ones if I got out of the way I could pop off two Lucent Beam+ while her attack animation had to finish

I mean this is effectively what AI light angela did to me - Ancient Curse takes loving ages to cast so you can't use it against her pretty much.

Detective No. 27 posted:

This remake is great. They should remake Secret of Mana next! :suicide:

They really really should.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fair enough, will keep that all in mind then :v:

Thanks!

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Taear posted:

I mean this is effectively what AI light angela did to me - Ancient Curse takes loving ages to cast so you can't use it against her pretty much.

Yes you can, just slot a good stagger resistance ability and stack magic defense abilities and you can wade right through anything except ton annihilation while charging ancient curse and chow down on chocolate afterwards while she gets wrecked by meteors. Angela is pretty great at facetanking magic damage if specifically specced for it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
For ??? seeds, I went to the Dryad forest (with the pumpkin god beast), and those queen bee enemies drop them at a relatively frequent pace. Once you get 6, if you plant them all at once you'll get 1 of each. Super easy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So my first playthrough was Riez main character, with Angela and Duran. Would have been better if I had picked the thief guy and Angela since he seems to share the same plot villains as Riesz so I'd better get to experience his story.

As is I guess my next run through will be Kevin and Charlotte with Angela, then Duran and Angela with thief guy. But poor him will never really see his story play out

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Oo Koo posted:

Yes you can, just slot a good stagger resistance ability and stack magic defense abilities and you can wade right through anything except ton annihilation while charging ancient curse and chow down on chocolate afterwards while she gets wrecked by meteors. Angela is pretty great at facetanking magic damage if specifically specced for it.

That's a lot of loving faff though considering the entire rest of the game (including bosses for the other characters and stuff after that fight) don't require anything like that.
It's rubbish, if I wanted a hard fight I'd be playing on hard.

seiferguy posted:

For ??? seeds, I went to the Dryad forest (with the pumpkin god beast), and those queen bee enemies drop them at a relatively frequent pace. Once you get 6, if you plant them all at once you'll get 1 of each. Super easy.

While you're totally right about the bees that's not how it seems to work. I had 5 and planted 5 and still got a lot of duplicate items.

The stories are Kevin/Charlotte, Hawk/Reisz and Angela/Duran.
I really like the bit (end game spoilers) where the bosses for the other characters just gently caress off when you're in the mana sanctuary. It's less strange feeling in the remake but it's still weird, for sure.

Taear fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 9, 2020

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Oo Koo posted:

If you're Dark/Dark Angela just use Dark Force on her instead. It's pretty instant-cast and will still chunk her for significant portions of her life because Dark Force is largely a Tier 3 spell hiding in a Tier 2 body. Just rejigger your skill setup going in, because you're losing Wound Magic All's potent boost for this fight so your damage is going to be less stratospheric then you're used to.

And yeah, Dark Angela also gets Magic Armor/II, Spell Resistance, as well as having pretty ok Spirit, albut not as much as she'd have in a class that actually encourages her to invest in Spirit past 9 points) which all makes her pretty solid at just powering through the fight if you need to- the OP of this line was going for a no-hit run which is harder since AI Angela has player Anglea's spell timings and not nearly as much warning as most enemies give with the same cast. And as noted before, they aren't consistent across spells (which is why Thunderbolt and Dark Force are such potent T2 spells in their base form compared to any of the others- they animate faster and hit earlier)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr. Locke posted:

If you're Dark/Dark Angela just use Dark Force on her instead. It's pretty instant-cast and will still chunk her for significant portions of her life because Dark Force is largely a Tier 3 spell hiding in a Tier 2 body. Just rejigger your skill setup going in, because you're losing Wound Magic All's potent boost for this fight so your damage is going to be less stratospheric then you're used to.

Yes, I used dark force spell wise and cast it only when she was faffing around.
But I didn't like that it requires you to actually care about your spec in any way, unlike every other fight in the game (on normal)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I mean fair, it should probably be more in line with the rest of the game's bosses if you're playing on Normal, but on Hard it's a nice challenge (in what is otherwise a fairly unchallenging game). Mostly on account of your useless AI teammates not being there to constantly walk into enemy hitboxes or push the fight into the edges of the arena or other unhelpful things like that.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Taear posted:

The stories are Kevin/Charlotte, Hawk/Reisz and Angela/Duran.
I really like the bit (end game spoilers) where the bosses for the other characters just gently caress off when you're in the mana sanctuary. It's less strange feeling in the remake but it's still weird, for sure.

Yeah, the coolest beat of the game's plot is that this isn't one evil gang working together but your party getting sucked into a Evil Plot Interstate Pileup and, while I wish there was more done with the climax/fallout of it then just two of the groups giving a minor denouncement then quitting post-Holyland, it's still a nice moment to run across the losers wallowing in their losses while the winner is waiting for you with their usual smug horseshit at the end.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So who the gently caress is Anise and how does she fit into the game at all? I don't recall any mention of her until the post-game and it's kinda strange she just appears and is like, "Yo I'm super evil, have nothing to do with anything else that's happened but come on and fight me."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mr. Locke posted:

which is harder since AI Angela has player Anglea's spell timings and not nearly as much warning as most enemies give with the same cast. And as noted before, they aren't consistent across spells (which is why Thunderbolt and Dark Force are such potent T2 spells in their base form compared to any of the others- they animate faster and hit earlier)

actually I know I said a couple spells timings would consistently have some sort of offset when I was fighting her, but I noticed something on the run where I finally got the no hit bonus.

so I've been playing the game this way since the beginning, which means anytime I get hit I will immediately pause and go to the load menu from there, but occasionally the move that hit me would be some big fancy pyrotechnics that would make the game chug like hell in the menus and make it take forever to select that save file and choose to load it because it keeps dropping my inputs.

the thing I noticed in the winning fight against angela was that her thunderstorm+ spells were going off later than they were before, and I think it's because I reverted to casting spells right before she starts her spells again; it almost seems like the game's engine just can't get some spells off in time if too much is going on and just puts them out the second it can, so I was getting screwed trying to dodge those spells at the beginning of the fight instead of dodging them later.

i could be imagining things but it seemed like the dodge timings were way more generous those last few attempts.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

sigher posted:

So who the gently caress is Anise and how does she fit into the game at all? I don't recall any mention of her until the post-game and it's kinda strange she just appears and is like, "Yo I'm super evil, have nothing to do with anything else that's happened but come on and fight me."

She's an easter egg, think of her like if you were playing a Final Fantasy game and Zeromus popped up after you beat the game and asked to fight.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Defiance Industries posted:

She's an easter egg, think of her like if you were playing a Final Fantasy game and Zeromus popped up after you beat the game and asked to fight.

What game is she from

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
She's in Dawn of Mana and Heroes of Mana.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've never played an FF game so I don't get it.

YggiDee posted:

Is possibly hinting at remakes of those down the line? Would be kinda cool to see the Mana series keep getting remakes.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

sigher posted:

Is possibly hinting at remakes of those down the line? Would be kinda cool to see the Mana series keep getting remakes.

Were any games in the series worth playing after Legend of Mana? The last one I played before this remake was Sword of Mana which seems to not be well liked. I thought it was ok for the time but nowhere near Legend or SoM.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is almost literally what the bonus boss Culex in Super Mario RPG did, though he wasn't an actual boss from FF4, he just had the FF4 boss music.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

sigher posted:

I've never played an FF game so I don't get it.

Zeromus is a boss from one of the games in the series. That's really all there is to it.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, so, my review of this game after the fact is that it's a surprisingly fun and faithful remake and upgrade, but its potential is busting through the seams of that faithfulness and it's ultimately limited by the original game.

I would really like to see a new Mana game built on this engine that has more active abilities and fewer passive ones, and whose story isn't actively insipid.

It really is kind of a theme in Mana games that the limitless power of Mana never does anything useful except for sometimes, maybe, partially undoing some of the damage done by people trying to seize it to rule the world.

Ah yes Mana plot talk.

Honestly I think the aim of the Mana games is talking about loss and a general melancholy feel. A lot of this seems to have been sacrificed in Secret of Mana when they had to cut it down to fit the smaller size restrictions based on interviews/etc.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

YggiDee posted:

And the lore of Legend of Mana. And Sword of Mana, if you count Medusa as the same character.
But since Dawn of Mana, they've been billing her as the big bad of the series.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
God I loving love Legend of Mana and I really hope they remake it in this vein

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Same, but part of the charm of Legend was its 2d storybook art style. I'd still be very happy with a Legend remake using this same engine, even if the art wasn't exactly like the original.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I've never played Legend, I guess it's part of the collection on the switch but it feels too old for me to play now. Hell, I loved SoM when I was younger but I can't play it now because of the way the attacks work so I can't imagine how annoying Legend would be.
I'd way rather Mana or Evermore got remade like this.

Or a new game in the same series. Seiken Denetsu 4 when

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Taear posted:

I've never played Legend, I guess it's part of the collection on the switch but it feels too old for me to play now. Hell, I loved SoM when I was younger but I can't play it now because of the way the attacks work so I can't imagine how annoying Legend would be.

Dawn of Mana was officially Seiken Densetsu 4, and was titled as such in Japan.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Taear posted:

LoM is pretty much SD4 though I don't know if it's named that in any situation. It is not part of the Switch collection - it was originally on PS1.

I replayed it recently and it holds up for me, but I also have a lot of nostalgia for it so that might be why.

e: guess it's not SD4

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Legend of Mana is a different game on PS1. The game on the Collection is Final Fantasy Adventure, the first Mana game.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Taear posted:

I've never played Legend, I guess it's part of the collection on the switch

As far as I know it is not, which is a drat shame because that would get me to buy the Collection.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SettingSun posted:

Legend of Mana is a different game on PS1. The game on the Collection is Final Fantasy Adventure, the first Mana game.

Ah okay. Until just this moment I'd never heard of Dawn of Mana either. Another mid 2000s JRPG that never got released in Europe, like Suikoden 3 and others.

I've started over with Kevin/Hawk/Charlotte and Charlotte has actually grown on me. She has a kinda southern american voice and it's a lot less annoying than I expected.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Legend of Mana is a much different beast, more of a beat-'em-up than an action RPG, with "spells" being instruments you play in battle and no real inventory system other than a shitload of useless garbage that only exists for the complex crafting system. The game is incredibly non-linear, letting you decide where towns and dungeons go and gives you the freedom to do quests in whatever order you want, to the point where you can easily miss quests if you don't know what you're doing. There's no overarching plot, you kinda just do whatever and end up stumbling into doing at least one of the three main plotlines to unlock the Tree of Mana and do the final dungeon, which results in a non-ending that loops to a New Game +.

It's nonsensical and completely different from previous Mana games and is pretty drat bad in so many respects yet the world-building and presentation alone make it my favorite game of all time. It's certainly a unique experience, and I'm curious how the hell they'd even try to remake it with today's game design standards.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I really really really really love Legend, it is one of the most charming games I've ever played. I love its characters, soundtrack, art, and story so so much, and I love that it has so many fun slice-of-life style side missions.

But its dungeon design is horrendous imo - like the 2D sidescrolling is gorgeous, but I get completely lost at all times because I can't manage my own internal maps when exits up or down take you to another screen where you enter from the left or right. I would hope that they would be able to retain some of that artistic charm but still have the dungeons make...physical sense.

Also its soundtrack and creation systems (weapon/armor/golem/magic) need complete overhauls as they are completely incomprehensible, to a hilarious degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Taear posted:

While you're totally right about the bees that's not how it seems to work. I had 5 and planted 5 and still got a lot of duplicate items.

That's because you need 6, not 5 :v: