Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The mismatch between the lip flaps in FFX bothers me! I know that this game was one of the first to have voice acted everything, especially in a big rpg, but still. Maybe it gets better later in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Perestroika posted:

I'm very much enjoying XCOM: Chimera Squad, but drat these Emergency Missions feel really annoying and arbitrary. They're roughly analogous to Terror missions in the other games: Enemies are tearing poo poo up and attacking civilians, so you gotta get in there, take out the enemies, and make sure they don't kill too many civilians.

Only problem there: In Chimera Squad, maps tend to be quite a bit smaller in a way that means almost all civilians are in range of all enemies, and all enemies are on there and active from the start. So there's... really nothing stopping the enemy from just murking every civilian in sight from the word go. Each enemy can trivially kill a civilian with a single attack, and if you lose more than 3 it's instant game over. Now, usually the enemy AI is made to not do that and tends to prioritize your guys, but you've still got situations where you just unload into a guy, just barely not manage to kill him, and he'll turn around and execute a civvy to cause you to lose instantly.

Now, they're still generally quite winnable, but it does feel very gamey and arbitrary. Not so much like I'm actually proactively going in and taking charge of the situation, more like the enemies are just sort humouring me by not making me lose when they absolutely could do so at any moment.

That’s been the case when it comes to all the new XCom games and it really is probably the most that the game really jams the fact it’s a game in your face. I don’t think there’s a great alternative because that would require handmade maps, but the way that they’ll only kill one civ a turn unless they try to grenade your squad and get a civilian too really stands out.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

The mismatch between the lip flaps in FFX bothers me! I know that this game was one of the first to have voice acted everything, especially in a big rpg, but still. Maybe it gets better later in the game.

narrator: it didn't get better

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FF7Remake has a couple of pre-rendered cutscenes and it is always a little awkward when they switch because the cg characters look slightly different from the in engine versions.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

Fallout 3 and New Vegas have a lot of areas that look like bombs dropped a decade ago and no one has been there since.

Spek posted:

When I read this I thought, surely Little Lamplight is a relatively new development. Surely it's created by some escaped slave kids or something and has only been running for a decade or two. But no I checked the wiki and it's supposed to have been going since the the bombs dropped :doh:. I like Fallout 3, I think it gets a bad rap a bit especially when compared to NV but good lord is the writing dumb most of the time.

NV can handwave it slightly better through a combination of desert preservation, a lot of the really lovely areas being active slums/warzones, and there being lots of places where someone clearly has picked up a broom at some point in the last two centuries, but there's still a lot of "wait..." moments along those lines.

Fallout 3 is just egregious about it, especially because it occasionally does remember its setting (environmentally sealed case for the Stradivarius, e.g.) which just throws stuff like Little Lamplight's existence, or supposedly long-standing or major settlements like Rivet City and Underworld having the same "paper & trash" floor textures as bombed out untouched 200 yr old buildings, into sharper relief.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lord Lambeth posted:

FFX’s dub is a very very special case because it’s such an early game of its scope. The whole game is built around the Japanese VO to the point where changing the length of any sound clip in the game would cause it to crash.

That’s why there’s weird moments like Tidus suddenly saying “withYunabymyside” like the end of a car commercial. They had to do some serious chopping to get everything to fit properly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm pretty sure the remaster exacerbates some of the lip synch problems because in the original PS2 version some cutscenes just got the static motionless faces instead of the high-res models.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

FF7Remake has a couple of pre-rendered cutscenes and it is always a little awkward when they switch because the cg characters look slightly different from the in engine versions.
Nothing if not true to the original and its 4 models per character.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

small ghost posted:

NV can handwave it slightly better through a combination of desert preservation, a lot of the really lovely areas being active slums/warzones, and there being lots of places where someone clearly has picked up a broom at some point in the last two centuries, but there's still a lot of "wait..." moments along those lines.

Fallout 3 is just egregious about it, especially because it occasionally does remember its setting (environmentally sealed case for the Stradivarius, e.g.) which just throws stuff like Little Lamplight's existence, or supposedly long-standing or major settlements like Rivet City and Underworld having the same "paper & trash" floor textures as bombed out untouched 200 yr old buildings, into sharper relief.

With NV you can at least tell it was intended to be set somewhere with significant rebuilding going on. There’s tons of infrastructure locations like the sharecropper farms that are new. It’s mentioned a few times that Vegas itself was pretty untouched, too. They had 18 months to make the game so they were stuck with reusing a lot of FO3 assets.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dewgy posted:

FFX’s dub is a very very special case because it’s such an early game of its scope. The whole game is built around the Japanese VO to the point where changing the length of any sound clip in the game would cause it to crash.

That’s why there’s weird moments like Tidus suddenly saying “withYunabymyside” like the end of a car commercial. They had to do some serious chopping to get everything to fit properly.

It wouldn't bother me as much if I could play Japanese voices with English subtitles for the remaster but nope.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

With NV you can at least tell it was intended to be set somewhere with significant rebuilding going on. There’s tons of infrastructure locations like the sharecropper farms that are new. It’s mentioned a few times that Vegas itself was pretty untouched, too. They had 18 months to make the game so they were stuck with reusing a lot of FO3 assets.

Yeah, it works better in NV because there's lots of actual settlement going on and the story kind of revolves around the themes of holding onto/recreating the power structures of the past Vs struggle over what the future should look like, with a piece of monumental old world technology being the prize all the different factions want to claim in order to build their future - but they've already done a lot of rebuilding to get to that point.

There's still stuff that's explicitly meant to have been going/untouched since the bombs fell, but there's been a lot more obvious development, growth and change since, and it has overall a better grasp on the idea of layering events into the time between the War and now. I know there were definitely a couple of moments where I was like "really now?" re: perfectly preserved 200 year old junk but I can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head.

Fallout 3 is a different kind of post apocalypse where the world is basically dead and can only be revived through old world technology, and the set pieces and environments reflect that; I actually quite like the feeling of stasis and melancholy it has, like humanity just gave up and that's why there's no significant rebuilding, why everything is just kind of lying around and most of the major settlements huddle around old world tech/symbolic buildings in a vaguely cargo-culty way. It's just harder to ignore that a lot of it just would work a lot better logically if it was like, 30-50 years later, or if they'd actually thought about how long/how many generations 200 years is.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

More noticable than the lip-flapping in FFXII: The Zodiac Age is the hasty line delivery. More paradoxically this game has the best dialogue and voice-acting in the series. Just watch any scene with Judge Goose or whoever.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

small ghost posted:

Fallout 3 is a different kind of post apocalypse where the world is basically dead and can only be revived through old world technology, and the set pieces and environments reflect that; I actually quite like the feeling of stasis and melancholy it has, like humanity just gave up and that's why there's no significant rebuilding, why everything is just kind of lying around and most of the major settlements huddle around old world tech/symbolic buildings in a vaguely cargo-culty way.

That oppressive melancholy is my favorite part of Fallout 3 and basically why I'll still go to bat for it.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I started playing Sunless Sea again and it's made me realise that despite all the great quality of life improvements in Sunless Skies, and despite the fact I think the both the writing and the art are better in Skies, I just like Sea more for two simple reasons:

1) Ships are spookier than trains
2) the sea is spookier than the sky

Edit: yeah I love an oppressive melancholy so while I do think NV is better written overall, I have a lot of love for 3 and it's crushing greyness.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I can't quite say exactly why, but I have an unusually hard time following the plots of Assassin's Creed games. For example, I'm playing Assassin's Creed Origins' Curse of the Pharaohs DLC at the moment and despite paying attention I'm still not exactly sure what's going on and why I'm doing stuff. I guess I'll just go to the quest marker and stab whoever's there.

At least in the main game the motivation of 'masked assholes killed my son, must kill masked assholes' was straightforward enough.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 21:27 on May 9, 2020

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

I can't quite say exactly why, but I have an unusually hard time following the plots of Assassin's Creed games. For example, I'm playing Assassin's Creed Origins' Curse of the Pharaohs DLC at the moment and despite paying attention I'm still not exactly sure what's going on and why I'm doing stuff. I guess I'll just go to the quest marker and stab whoever's there.

That's why I do anything in an Assassin's Creed game. Assholes using magic future technology to relive the memories of ancestors or whatever can gently caress off, I'm here to stab dudes.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nothing if not true to the original and its 4 models per character.

But not true enough to keep tifa's tits composing of 25% of her model!!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Qwertycoatl posted:

That's why I do anything in an Assassin's Creed game. Assholes using magic future technology to relive the memories of ancestors or whatever can gently caress off, I'm here to stab dudes.

But honestly it's weird and only happens to me in these games. Like I'll be told to go to a dot on the map, there I'll watch a cutscene, be told to head to another dot and realize mid-way there that I have no idea what I'm doing or where I'm going.

Having looked it up a bit apparently this is a common complaint with the Curse of the Pharoahs DLC, so maybe it's not just me.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

At least in the main game the motivation of 'masked assholes killed my son, must kill masked assholes' was straightforward enough.

Yeah, I'm getting the same thing with Odyssey - I'm in Elysium, trying to get to Hades, but I'm not sure why*. It's also taking forever to organise the rebellion and it's frustrating having Persephone make me do things when all I want to do is stab her repeatedly for being annoying.

NO GODS NO MASTERS

*I've got a horrible feeling it involves Layla somehow, though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

small ghost posted:

Yeah, it works better in NV because there's lots of actual settlement going on and the story kind of revolves around the themes of holding onto/recreating the power structures of the past Vs struggle over what the future should look like, with a piece of monumental old world technology being the prize all the different factions want to claim in order to build their future - but they've already done a lot of rebuilding to get to that point.

There's still stuff that's explicitly meant to have been going/untouched since the bombs fell, but there's been a lot more obvious development, growth and change since, and it has overall a better grasp on the idea of layering events into the time between the War and now. I know there were definitely a couple of moments where I was like "really now?" re: perfectly preserved 200 year old junk but I can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head.

Fallout 3 is a different kind of post apocalypse where the world is basically dead and can only be revived through old world technology, and the set pieces and environments reflect that; I actually quite like the feeling of stasis and melancholy it has, like humanity just gave up and that's why there's no significant rebuilding, why everything is just kind of lying around and most of the major settlements huddle around old world tech/symbolic buildings in a vaguely cargo-culty way. It's just harder to ignore that a lot of it just would work a lot better logically if it was like, 30-50 years later, or if they'd actually thought about how long/how many generations 200 years is.

IIRC the Capitol Wasteland had major problems sourcing potable water. If you can accept the conceit that the Potomac would still be so heavily irradiated, could that explain why a large-scale rebuilding never took off? Well, that and the Super Mutants

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

christmas boots posted:

IIRC the Capitol Wasteland had major problems sourcing potable water. If you can accept the conceit that the Potomac would still be so heavily irradiated, could that explain why a large-scale rebuilding never took off? Well, that and the Super Mutants

Maybe, but it doesn't explain why everyone's houses are still covered in garbage and skeletons.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Maybe, but it doesn't explain why everyone's houses are still covered in garbage and skeletons.

after 200 years the skeletons are an aesthetic choice.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

rydiafan posted:

Oh, I didn't know you'd visited my Animal Crossing island

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

christmas boots posted:

tbh I could cheerfully ignore the preservation problems and accept the trash and skeletons as set dressing if the game didn't occasionally confront you with stuff that's harder to explain, like Little Lamplight. You could probably come up with a plausible in universe way of Little Lamplight having a sustainable replacement rate that wouldn't be more outlandish than anything else in the game, they just didn't. I get the sense the writers didn't have a consistent idea of the exact timeframe until fairly late in the process; i have nothing to back that up but there's times where the game acknowledges the depth of centuries and times when it acts like it's been 15 years max.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rydiafan posted:

One thing I liked about NV was that a lot of the food items were, you know, food that had been made recently instead almost entirely pre-war boxed stuff.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

christmas boots posted:

They outright say DC was effectively unlivable until recently. Almost all the settlements are a single human lifetime old and the Potomac isn't a river anymore.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Necrothatcher posted:

I just started the main game and felt like I missed a cutscene, but apparently it just jumps ahead like that. I mean I get it and I don't really need to spend 20 minutes watching Templars kill my family again, but a little synopsis would help (although I assume there will be a big cut scene later explaining exactly what's happening)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Origins' story structure is kind of a mess. I'm not exaggerating when I say the entire plot happens over the course of two cutscenes in the second half of the game. It's not hard to understand, though, minus the weird decision to start you off in the middle of killing some dude with no context.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm frustrated by Splatoon 2, a game I love. Mostly I just play casual mode, but occasionally get the urge to get back into the more competitive ranked battles. The problem is, I got to a moderately skilled tier ages ago but then mostly stopped, so now when I go in it's just a series of getting shat on by actual skilled players. But the game's forgiving enough that the occasional win is enough to keep you from deleveling very fast, which is a pain when all you want to do is just start building up your skills against other low-level chumps :negative:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Origins' story structure is kind of a mess. I'm not exaggerating when I say the entire plot happens over the course of two cutscenes in the second half of the game. It's not hard to understand, though, minus the weird decision to start you off in the middle of killing some dude with no context.

See, before this I was about to ask if they were like me and also having a video on their computer or phone or tablet or whatever going while they're playing a game.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Dewgy posted:

So glad to see I'm not the only one suffering through FFX remaster at the moment!

I also like all of Yuna's "Okay"s that have to fit the original 1-sylllable "hai".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Well, that and the Super Mutants

Yeah, they specifically says that humanity is barely holding on in the capitol wasteland because of the supermutants. Then you have the fact that travelling is only really possible through subway tunnels and those are infested by ghouls (the Taft tunnel for example has been abandoned for decades because of that).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

DMC5: It's lame that S-Ranks on higher difficulties don't stack over lower ones. That's 120 perfect levels for the would-be trophy whore.

V's moveset needs another game to shine. He's the only character who can get weaker in battle if his summons die, unlike the other two characters who only need to stay alive to be at full offence. It's all too easy for his panther do cartwheels in the air and accomplish nothing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Things that drag a game down: having to hold down the stick (as a button push) for a length of time while also using it as a directional input.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 15:57 on May 10, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have a query about Hollow Knight since I'm watching an LP of it from 2017 - were the optional bosses altered after the game's release? The Traitor Lord was only doing 1 mask of damage to the LPer per hit, while when I fought him he did 2. What could have caused their increased defense if the boss was unchanged?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BioEnchanted posted:

I have a query about Hollow Knight since I'm watching an LP of it from 2017 - were the optional bosses altered after the game's release? The Traitor Lord was only doing 1 mask of damage to the LPer per hit, while when I fought him he did 2. What could have caused their increased defense if the boss was unchanged?

The Lifeblood update buffed the Traitor Lord.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Is that the same for the other optional bosses or were they always hitting for 2 masks from the start?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
jedi fallen order is a perfectly competent beige action game but the character models are just a little bit off in a way that's constantly distracting

the protagonist has this jutting cro-magnon jawline and the other main human character's eyes are popping out of her head like she's a cartoon character who just uncovered a lit keg of TNT

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Oxxidation posted:

jedi fallen order is a perfectly competent beige action game but the character models are just a little bit off in a way that's constantly distracting

the protagonist has this jutting cro-magnon jawline

You see , I thought the same thing....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Jestery posted:

You see , I thought the same thing....

Haha that's a tough one. His face model does look a bit off in motion though, and they definitely hosed up the eyelids on the mentor character.